Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Goddamn Chained Echoes just continues to impress me. I reached the 2nd act last night and this game is going places. Pacing is pretty incredible so far in terms of new mechanics, new characters, new lore drops, new story beats, new character beats. It always feels like something new is just around the corner. So many smart design decisions in combat and general play and traversal. If you have any interest in a SNES style RPG I can't recommend it highly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s really good but I’m still pretty cold on this modern thing of not having jRPG combat encounters actually do anything to improve your characters

You do get some spare change to eventually toss at your skills so that’s something

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finished Chained Echoes a few days ago and it started to drag a bit towards the end. It may be because I tend to do sidequests and try to level up characters, but I maybe would've preferred a bit tighter experience. Otherwise I had fun with the game, although I don't think at any point I really bothered to do much combining or crystal tuning - it seemed like whenever I tried to put something in my weapon/armor, it didn't let me, or didn't let me combine because the other part was zero purity (?). One gripe I had were the optional party members, by the time you get some of them you have better options already. I did use Mikah to make random encounters go fast, but I don't think I ever used Egyl, Magnolia or Raphael at all.

Near the end some encounters and boss fights started to get so tough I had to turn down the difficulty just to get through, which was a bit disappointing, but at that point I just wanted to get through.

The ending was one thing that left me wildly unsatisfied, though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like the idea of Roadwarden a lot, kinda reminds me of a fantasy Neo Scavenger. I'm not engaging with the writing though, which seems fatal in a text based game. Probably won't refund it, but I'm a little surprised by the overwhelmingly positive rating.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s really good but I’m still pretty cold on this modern thing of not having jRPG combat encounters actually do anything to improve your characters

You do get some spare change to eventually toss at your skills so that’s something

I really don't mind this in Chained Echoes and would actively push back against the idea that your characters don't improve after battles.

The recent game I would level that criticism at is Tactics Ogre Reborn, which just caps your level at certain points but still expects you to grind Money so you can buy healing items to brute force your through boss fights that are way too reliant on brute stat inflation over actually programming in an AI. Once I learned to just park a Dragon with a couple thousand HP with 4 healing items next to a boss to absorb hits. The Boss will continue to mindlessly flail away at my HP bag because they prioritize getting the most damage per turn over anything else. Meanwhile my other characters just gather up random buff cards until they can wipe everything out with ease. What a disappointing game that I hear was truly great before they decided to implement these random buff cards that have the added downside of giving it a mobile game aesthetic.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cowcaster posted:

waaaait a minute...

Why does the rabbit look like a bkub drawing?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
also as a quick dumb aside, the ps5 duelsense edge controller is showing up as $200 on the playstation website

https://direct.playstation.com/en-u...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I agree the tech stuff sounds really cool but holy poo poo it's not $200 worth of cool.

I guess this is a deluxe version, the normal one is $70?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

also as a quick dumb aside, the ps5 duelsense edge controller is showing up as $200 on the playstation website

https://direct.playstation.com/en-u...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I agree the tech stuff sounds really cool but holy poo poo it's not $200 worth of cool.

I guess this is a deluxe version, the normal one is $70?

Yeah, notice how that one isn't even being released until next week, it's their version of the xbox "elite" controller or whatever.

It's funny to me that both Microsoft and Sony are selling these wildly overpriced controllers that still don't use hall effect sticks, so they will inevitably develop stick drift and become paperweights.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the playstation one is at least designed to allow the sticks to be replaced by the user, but yeah they should just be using hall effect sticks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I tried to play the PC splinter cell recently, and the keyboard and mouse controls broke me 3 levels in. God bless let's plays.

Chaos theory rules tho

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

More Warhams Inquisitor Martyr stuff. Anyone have a preferably casual cabal you're a member of or were a member of when you played? I'd like the bonuses now that I'm playing the game but I don't want to join a random one where it turns out they're exchanging Jordan Peterson quotes all day or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

I really don't mind this in Chained Echoes and would actively push back against the idea that your characters don't improve after battles.

Well they literally don’t. Whatever improvements you get are from when you spend the SP you earn or use the crafting mats. Stats and skills come from spending the item you get after a boss fight.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think I saw a splinter cell game with really granular walk speeds and you changed it with the scroll wheel which was psychotic

Excellent videogame Hidden & Dangerous 2 does this. Is there anyone trying to revive these old-school single player tactical shooters in the indie/AA sphere? I know only of Ready Or Not which is a slightly different thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There was an attempt to revive Project IGI but I don’t think it survived

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well they literally don’t. Whatever improvements you get are from when you spend the SP you earn or use the crafting mats. Stats and skills come from spending the item you get after a boss fight.

Your equipped skills gain SP after every battle.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

fit em all up in there posted:

Vanquish Bundle:https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/vanquish-bundle ($7.99)
Black Book
Streets of Rogue
Pathologic 2
Hellpoint
Chasm
The Metronomicon

Thanks, picked this up for Streets of Rogue. I tried the demo a long time ago and wasn't feeling it but it has since gone on to be Overwhemlingly Positively reviewed on Steam, so I'll give it another shot. If I can be patient enough to learn Dwarf Fortress I can learn any game now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/Streets_of_Rogue/

The rest of the games in the bundle are all decent to well reviewed so maybe I'll even play them at some point! Or maybe they will rot in my unplayed list.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So, it sounds like Chained Echoes has a sort of job system? I've been on a binge lately playing games with such systems so it seems like I should add it to my list.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Tiny Timbs posted:

There was an attempt to revive Project IGI but I don’t think it survived

Huh, apparently there was some Remastered fan project that might or might not still exist, but it turns out a commercial project called IGI Origins was also announced just a few months ago.

Though IGI is not squad based, which is what I'm specifically looking for.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thread of cool games by trans devs / team members:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1615738900047085568

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

"Diephoon" posted:

The rest of the games in the bundle are all decent to well reviewed so maybe I'll even play them at some point! Or maybe they will rot in my unplayed list.

I was going to say Vanquish slaps but that's the title of the bundle I guess, not an included game. :rip:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

So, it sounds like Chained Echoes has a sort of job system? I've been on a binge lately playing games with such systems so it seems like I should add it to my list.

No, unless one opens up later in the game. The characters have classes and you unlock skills to assign to a limited number of skill slots. There are also extra items to find that provide skills you can fully unlock to use without having the item equipped.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so i did fire up mechwarrior 5 for the first time tonight and i do what i usually do when i don't want to spend an hour fiddling with graphics settings where i mash "optimize" on geforce experience and go from there, and i'll be damned if the thing didn't slam raytracing and its accoutrements up to maximum along with everything else. my performance, as you might expect, was abysmal. after flipping it off and keeping it everything else on max though, the game looks not particularly pretty. so a question for the fans in the thread, of which i know there's a few, am i missing out on something? is there a hot secret tip for running it with raytracing i should know about or is it just a performance trap like with everything else that implements it?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 19, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RTX is especially a trap in MW5, apparently it's like an old implementation or something. I just gave up trying because it was really bad. I think the game looks good enough with it off though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Played a bit of a metroidvania called Vision Soft Reset, and despite the good reviews, I'm getting exhausted by it. The main character is way too weak, and the one boss I've encountered so far took like 30 tries. And now I got an upgrade wall running that seems to not work 50% of the time. Interesting concept for the game, though.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Thanks, picked this up for Streets of Rogue. I tried the demo a long time ago and wasn't feeling it but it has since gone on to be Overwhemlingly Positively reviewed on Steam, so I'll give it another shot. If I can be patient enough to learn Dwarf Fortress I can learn any game now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/Streets_of_Rogue/

Pathologic 2 is a masterpiece, make sure to give it a shot when you've got a chance.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Ok but:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

victrix posted:

I still have yet to find an explanation why this is the case

which sucks rear end because the ds haptics are incredible

PS5 has some kind of non-standard bluetooth protocol that they use for those features. I'm sure there's a software solution out there, don't get me wrong, but I doubt they spent more money on a custom bluetooth receiver system for the PS5 just to inconvenience PC users and make them play in wired mode

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't get enough of Like a Dragon right now. It's kind of the opposite of P5R where i was mostly being driven by my desire to see the story through and work on social stats and just tolerated the combat for the most part. I find the combat in LAD really fun and I don't mind getting into fights in the street, it's neat how positioning comes into play and the concept itself of Ichiban just imagining fights in that style is really hilarious to me. I'm thoroughly confused by the business management stuff but have done some press conferences and I think I'm doing okay? Game's great. Can't wait to get some of the alternate jobs leveled up for the party and see what else they can do.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just hit the top 10 ranking in the business game. The big stats you wanna focus on for your Board employees are their command cost and their charisma. Command cost under 10 is nice, but you can kind of get away with someone that has over 10 if their charisma stat is really high since you can slam the apology button to refill at least some (or all) of your bar. The tenacity stat is kinda pointless, just don't gently caress up the colors game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anno posted:

Someone mentioned that you can turn off/way down the quips in options.

I still don’t really know what to think of the game, but I want it to be cool because the combat and parkour at least looks like they should be.

is 2023 the year of the quip slider? the rickmorty game had that too

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been going through my Steam library hiding games I will never touch again and removing all the f2p games from my account. Here are things of minor interest that I spotted in the recent (2020+) news of ancient games:

Ancient abandoned 2d platformer roguelite Catacomb Kids started getting updated again in 2020 and has been updated as recently as last November

Some free open source spaceship RPG from 2015 called Destination Sol got a full release in 2020 and I truly do not remember a thing about it, but the reviews seem pretty positive for a free game

Roguelite car combat game from 2014 Death Skid Marks went free last August because the devs achieved their goal in funding from it a few years back. I think it was possibly goon developed?

That old wartime survival game This War of Mine is now part of the curriculum in Polish schools (they have a recent news post about it)

A large chunk of DLC for Saints Row 4 became free last month

in September Bioshock Infinite released a patch titled "Quality of Life Update" that literally did nothing except add a 3rd party launcher to the game and apparently make it crash constantly for everyone. There's a statement, from September, that says "EDIT: 2K are aware of possible impacts related to the recent update and working to resolve. Our player's experience is paramount, and we'll update our community with more information as it becomes available." but it looks like it's still not fixed :laugh:

The source code and art/music assets for the first Anodyne went free in 2020

That old dinosaur survival game Ark did an about face and became a battle royale game last month :confused: https://store.steampowered.com/app/407530/ARK_The_Survival_Of_The_Fittest It says it's a "prototype spinoff" of the original ARK but it replaced the original ARK in my library

The new Epic-exclusive Sins of a Solar Empire must be extremely bad because Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion started getting updates again last year.

Serephina posted:

You'll be delighted to know that that same mistake is still being made in the modern day. The most recent DK2 clones (War for the Overworld & Dungeons 3) both have a no-base mission where you guide around a large blob of dudes and hero units. Dungeon Keeper clones, with no dungeons. Sigh.

They should have kept the dungeons :hai:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 19, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sins of a solar empire multiplayer is the game you win because your friends just don’t want to play it anymore. If you build with defense in mind you were just so difficult to take over.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There has been a sudden absolute rash of phishing accounts adding me, all with the following patterns:
  • female name, usually with an ascii heart, and some anime girl avatar
  • account is 1-3 years old with a single-digit number of badges and maybe a handful of friends
  • perpetually in-game in TF2, thousands of hours on record
  • profile description mentions being a 3D artist ("Blender + C4D"), playing tf2 since 2018/2019, and their favorite maps
  • will wait a weirdly long time after being added to say anything, and when they do it's always "what's your casual lvl in tf2", before proceeding to say they're down a team member and need help to win the $19k prize pool

So in case anyone's still gullible enough to fall for one of these, stay vigilant I guess.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was not ready for whatever is happening at the beginning of MGS5: The Phantom Pain lol. Ground Zeroes was all tactical and relatively grounded and then... :stare:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

lordfrikk posted:

I was not ready for whatever is happening at the beginning of MGS5: The Phantom Pain lol. Ground Zeroes was all tactical and relatively grounded and then... :stare:

Don't worry, it will never do anything nearly as cool ever again over the course of the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

Don't worry, it will never do anything nearly as cool ever again over the course of the game.

:wrong:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nothing precisely as cool and scripted, but (next part is a very genuine spoiler) having to walk through the base executing your soldiers comes close and is just such a good sequence in general, and also the sum total of the game is fuckin cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Nothing precisely as cool and scripted, but (next part is a very genuine spoiler) having to walk through the base executing your soldiers comes close and is just such a good sequence in general, and also the sum total of the game is fuckin cool.

That part was really well executed.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been going through my Steam library hiding games I will never touch again and removing all the f2p games from my account. Here are things of minor interest that I spotted in the recent (2020+) news of ancient games:

Ancient abandoned 2d platformer roguelite Catacomb Kids started getting updated again in 2020 and has been updated as recently as last November

Wow, that's a name that hasn't been spoken since before the cooling of the Earth's crust. That dev may not be quick, but you gotta admit he's persistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I recently upgraded my home internet to a Gigabit fibre connection and speedtest.net shows that i can get 800Mb/s (or 100MB/s).

However, Steam on my main gaming PC only seems to be able to reach a consistent cap of 27MB/s, just a quarter of the speed.

It's so stable at this level that it makes me think something is capped somewhere, but I'm not sure where as my PC is getting the full connection speed.

Also, when i download something on my steam deck, it doesn't have this cap and instead gets somewhere up in the 70MB/s range (still not the max speed but it's better).

I'm in the UK on virgin media if that means anything to anyone. But i don't recall Steam doing something like this before. That being said, I've never had a connection this fast before either.