Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think it's just a really stupid way to say "If 64GB is not enough and 128GB is too much, you can save some money with 96GB."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

I think it's just a really stupid way to say "If 64GB is not enough and 128GB is too much, you can save some money with 96GB."
Counterpoint: It is stupid to say that a workload will fit neatly into 96GB, 64GB, or 128GB.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

SwissArmyDruid posted:

someone explain that article to me, I got to this part and my brain just ground to a halt.

They're referring virtual machines running on a hypervisor in a data center. That is why they are mentioning price optimized memory allocation per core.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AMD's competitor is currently selling subscription models for hyperscalers to turn on CPU features on the fly whenever customers want it, so they can charge customers more for having access to various forms of compute acceleration.

I'm not sure that just because someone wants it, that it's a good idea.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Alzion posted:

They're referring virtual machines running on a hypervisor in a data center. That is why they are mentioning price optimized memory allocation per core.

Except earlier in the article it said:

quote:

Meanwhile, support for AMD EXPO and Intel XMP 3.0 profiles designed primarily for enthusiasts in mind indicate that these modules are indeed aimed at desktops

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The article also said these configurations were more "optimal" for modern CPUs in an entirely separate point from overspending by buying more than you need. So that's not what they meant. They think there's some other magic that makes these memory amounts better for modern CPUs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not sure that just because someone wants it, that it's a good idea.

What exactly is the downside of non-power-of-2 ram modules? If it's not a good idea, why?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

What exactly is the downside of non-power-of-2 ram modules? If it's not a good idea, why?
It's not a bad idea, it's the PR speak that's absolute bullshit, as is trying to justify it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm pretty sure this gonna unearth some design flaws in memory controllers because they're assuming power of two sizes per rank and an even number of ranks per channel. Or some such.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Drakhoran posted:

It makes sense, they want everyone to buy it so they throw everything in.

It's not a bad idea, it's the PR speak that's absolute bullshit, as is trying to justify it.

As someone that has bounced in and out of technical marketing everyone posting about this has put more thought into this than the authors of that ad copy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm pretty sure this gonna unearth some design flaws in memory controllers because they're assuming power of two sizes per rank and an even number of ranks per channel. Or some such.
I doubt it, because it's not exactly uncommon to, as an example, amend 8GB soldered memory with 16GB socketed memory in laptops.

EDIT: Also remember that most of the server platforms are based on a Unix-like, and UNIX as well as BSD started on a 18-bit platform.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 18, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure, I simplified it some and you need overhead for the OS, but once you've got enough RAM for your workload + the most active pages in cache / buffers, adding additional RAM is not going to do very much and memory is expensive. You don't want to just buy 50% more RAM than you can effectively use.

Everything is a trade-off. Should we be recommending 128GB kits for everyone in the PC building thread? Should I be more than doubling the cost of our compute nodes by throwing 16x 128GB LRDIMMs in them, because "you always want to max out on memory"?
I think what it comes down to is that, at least when I had the position, a system integrator is given a budget to operate within - and that budget has little to do with the actual requirements of the platform the company is working on.

So in reality it comes down to this: If your budget happens to line up that way, you might be able to get slightly more memory than you hoped for.
And let's not kid ourselves, more memory is always good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Speaking of which, anyone got any hot takes on the new CAMM memory for laptops? Every time I look at tech articles about it I see a lot of comments with people hating it, often for no other reason than Dell came up with it.

It sounds pretty great to me! Why are we still putting memory in paired sticks when you could put both channels on one module? Does anyone even do 3-channel anymore?

And it solves one of the most despicable things in laptops:

I doubt it, because it's not exactly uncommon to, as an example, amend 8GB soldered memory with 16GB socketed memory in laptops.
half soldered memory + 1 so-dimm slot so they can claim the memory is "upgradable" is such a dick move.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Drakhoran posted:

The article isn't particularly well written. It does that throwaway desktop line in the beginning then spends the rest of the article talking about how this is good for VMs. Completely ignoring that you can market a product line for different use cases.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Speaking of which, anyone got any hot takes on the new CAMM memory for laptops? Every time I look at tech articles about it I see a lot of comments with people hating it, often for no other reason than Dell came up with it.

It sounds pretty great to me! Why are we still putting memory in paired sticks when you could put both channels on one module? Does anyone even do 3-channel anymore?

And it solves one of the most despicable things in laptops:

half soldered memory + 1 so-dimm slot so they can claim the memory is "upgradable" is such a dick move.
CAMM is just a proprietary memory form factor though, right? I hadn't realized anyone was working on it but Dell.

Lenovo has been doing the soldered+socketed nonsense for years, and while I like my T480s, I don't like that it only has 24GB memory. :mad:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So in reality it comes down to this: If your budget happens to line up that way, you might be able to get slightly more memory than you hoped for.
And let's not kid ourselves, more memory is always good.

You hit a personal pain point for me, because the last person to be responsible for computing purchasing decisions felt like this, and that's how we ended up with nodes with Xeon Silver 4208s and 1TB of RAM. It's a really inefficient usage of resources to pair $800 of CPUs with $6,000 of RAM.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

You hit a personal pain point for me, because the last person to be responsible for computing purchasing decisions felt like this, and that's how we ended up with nodes with Xeon Silver 4208s and 1TB of RAM. It's a really inefficient usage of resources to pair $800 of CPUs with $6,000 of RAM.
If a system integrator can be that irresponsible with the budget, it indicates some pretty bad management though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CAMM is just a proprietary memory form factor though, right? I hadn't realized anyone was working on it but Dell.

They've proposed it to jedec as a standard, and jedec seems on board. (No idea if dell will want royalties for it tho.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like calling it non-binary RAM since that terminology will trigger a certain type of nerd moron

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

They've proposed it to jedec as a standard, and jedec seems on board. (No idea if dell will want royalties for it tho.)

It's already going through the early processes of approval at JEDEC. It's pretty much destined to become a JEDEC standard at this point. Dell will be collecting royalties for its use, though I'm not sure if this is any different from the currently in-use standards out there.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

Does anyone even do 3-channel anymore?

I'm not sure if it was ever a thing outside of LGA1366. Following generations of HEDT/server platforms went to 4+ and consumers stayed at 2.

e: also LGA1356, the weird secondary Sandy Bridge server platform.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 18, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

hobbesmaster posted:

As someone that has bounced in and out of technical marketing everyone posting about this has put more thought into this than the authors of that ad copy.

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

It's enough for your job and is cheaper.

"More than you need" isn't optimal for anyone but enthusiasts.

my I/O buffers!

Twerk from Home posted:

Facebook at least has buckets of nodes of roughly that shape, as enormous memcached(ish) servers. They work great!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's Dell, of course they'll want royalties.

Even if it wasn't, what company doesn't want what's essentially a passive income. Look no further AMDs compatitor for how far they're willing to cowtow to the hyperscalers just to get it.

FuturePastNow posted:

I like calling it non-binary RAM since that terminology will trigger a certain type of nerd moron
Hah, I like that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

We're about to save a bunch of yearly repetitive cost by moving to right-sized GCP instances and storage for the Cassandra clusters we need. All it took was the usual questions: "why are we using N TB and provisioning 4xN TB?", "why does a recommended 16 vCPU node run on 24 and 32 vCPU instances?" etc.

Over-provisioning just because wastes a lot of money at scale.

My favorite from the old days was when the megalomaniac we'd left in charge of purchasing twisted DEC's arm to deliver us 4-CPU 21264 Alphas hot off the presses, like no one had 21264 boxes yet. He was proud that NASA(!!) had to be told to wait because he pressured them. Thing is we couldn't use them effectively at our current workloads and they were a huge waste sitting around blocked on NFS I/O. I'd even feel guilty logging onto them and seeing all that wasted cpu that could have been spent on ~space travel~.

But faster is better, right?

Klyith posted:

It's enough for your job and is cheaper.

"More than you need" isn't optimal for anyone but enthusiasts.

This.

Optimization is fitting the solution to the problem, not figuring out how to go fastest or biggest.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

v1ld posted:

He was proud that NASA(!!) had to be told to wait because he pressured them. Thing is we couldn't use them effectively at our current workloads and they were a huge waste sitting around blocked on NFS I/O.

Sounds like he should have pressured NetApp too!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like he should have pressured NetApp too!

Lol. We were an early NetApp customer too! So well within the realm.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

But if they don't dump money wastefully into hardware, they'll just end up using it to do stock buybacks! (because they sure as hell aren't going to put it towards salaries...)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I am happy to report that ASRock is back on their poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrKZeEmu6UA

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DoombatINC posted:

"what if--"

"yes"

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

DoombatINC posted:

I'd buy one just to get the 2 NVMe devices on the breakout board. Maybe. Depending on final cost vs a X670 board with 4 NVMe devices.

Unless there are actually B650 boards with 4x4 bifurcation support by the time I'm ready to migrate to AM5.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mdxi posted:

I'd buy one just to get the 2 NVMe devices on the breakout board. Maybe. Depending on final cost vs a X670 board with 4 NVMe devices.

Unless there are actually B650 boards with 4x4 bifurcation support by the time I'm ready to migrate to AM5.
It's a very neat idea for a daughterboard, sure - but I think you might've missed that a special header is needed, one which is only found on that particular motherboard.
To me it sounded like it's also a very special edition motherboard that nobody but Wendell has.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
ASROCK’s monthly cocaine delivery must have been contaminated with some other substance. I imagine they’re testing the waters on this concept with streamers first.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
ASRock stands for A Shitload of (cocaine) Rocks, confirming now

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

It's a very neat idea for a daughterboard, sure - but I think you might've missed that a special header is needed, one which is only found on that particular motherboard.
To me it sounded like it's also a very special edition motherboard that nobody but Wendell has.

Yeah I got it. I meant "If it were productized..."

Which I didn't explicitly say, but the video ended with a call for Asrock to make it a real thing, and I was going from there as a premise.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

After fTPM messed with AM4 CPUs and taking tons of convincing of AMD that it did, it got eventually fixed via BIOS updates. Guess what issue is back for AM5.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

After fTPM messed with AM4 CPUs and taking tons of convincing of AMD that it did, it got eventually fixed via BIOS updates. Guess what issue is back for AM5.
Right, that reminds me that I need to ensure that whatever motherboard I get has a Port 80 header.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Right, that reminds me that I need to ensure that whatever motherboard I get has a Port 80 header.
And of course consumer boards don't follow standards. Port 80 seems to be a 20 pin connector, while the Asus boards list a 14-pin TPM connector.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you have a link for this? I was planning on doing an AM5 build sometime in March. Is this affecting all boards manufacturers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So far people complaining over on Reddit only. Like last time, it’ll probably take a while for an official stance.