Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Yeah, I'm playing on Yelinak. Once I get my feet a bit wet and settle on what I'll play then I'll shout back at yall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the Test server suggestions! I copied my Beastlord over there and I've been having fun just zoning out and murdering all sorts of mobs. I've been leaving my character sitting overnight in the guild hall lobby where everyone seems to just run through and do mass group buffs, and then I'll go hunting in a zone where I won't die in five seconds. It's fun to watch mobs punch me for a few hundred and then they take thousands of damage from max level shield spells and explode.

Is there any sort of gear progression guide I can follow just for grinding to level cap? So far I've been gathering up Defiant gear that's appropriate for my level, but I don't know if there are NPC vendors that I should check out for good poo poo, or any solo content I can hit up to get better stuff to help out. Being on Test is nice since players will copy over their best gear and sell for peanuts, but the vendors aren't always stocked.

I'm in the mid-80's right now, if that helps. I don't really have a plan other than "keep grinding to level cap, also buy all the spells and tomes from the PoK vendors."

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

I'm in the mid-80's right now, if that helps. I don't really have a plan other than "keep grinding to level cap, also buy all the spells and tomes from the PoK vendors."

Mid 80s is great for HoT progression, if that interests you. It was introduced with the heroic characters (level 85) and there's a lot of quests you can do to acquire gear (plus dropped gear readily available), as well as the mercenaries. I ran my box crew through that on Test and found it a lot of fun.

https://hot.eqresource.com/progression.php

If you find that enjoyable, you can run through the progression in the following expansions (Veil of Alaris, Rain of Fear), although I didn't like VoA as much.

You might find that even running one additional box character (plus merc) will open up a lot of options for this type of approach. I was running 3-4 box characters plus mercs for a full group on Test and it really wasn't all that difficult thanks to simple macros.

If you can manage the 3+3 for a full group, there's a ton of content available (the above plus Call of the Forsaken and The Broken Mirror which are higher level but have missions that scale to your level).

I was trying to run through all of the expansion progression and was leveling too quickly even after max AAs to do it all. Exp on Test flies.

Edit: Send me a PM with your in-game name and any class(es) that you are interested in items for and I'll see if I have anything in a bag.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 16, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ya if you roll on our server we can help you out. I'm sitting on a bunch of classic/kunark and luclin gear I could throw you depending on class which will tide you over through the initial exp journey

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Medullah posted:

I remember my friends being confused as to why I did the Broom of Trilon quest with my Necro in the early days, it was badass that even Necros could click it for Reclaim Energy.

Also why do I still remember it's called Broom of Trilon I haven't actively played this game in 20 years.

Funny that you mention this because I farmed up a Broom of Trilon before realizing they must have made the click MAG only at some point. I know it still works for any class on P99.

Thanks for the reminders on /pet get lost and Companion's Suspension. Both will work for my purposes!

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Solarin posted:

Keep an eye out for Memory from Ssra cursed cycle and tell me if you can prove it exists. I’ve played on 3 TLPs at this point and have never seen it once.

Circling back on this, we ended up seeing three copies total in Luclin. I got the most recent one for minimum DKP (the other two dropped in our other splits so I couldn't personally verify it). My click list is looking very respectable these days. Need to go farm a Shield of the Immaculate yet though...

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I feel like I used my shield of immaculate most on a few of the LDoN raids and then it was super relevant again for anguish/OMM in omens of war. After that I can’t say it was never relevant but it’s much less so. Which is to say now is a perfect time to wrap that up.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

3 Memory drops in that span of time is obscene. It’s annoying to come back and farm out of era because of that death touching boss in the cursed cycle. Mem blur in general gets an incredible boost with GoD AA that makes it much much more likely to work. Best QoL AA really, it’s great being able to reliably blur huge trains with blanket of forgetfulness.

Also farming the Shield of the Immaculate changes in LDoN I think where Plane of Hate gets a revamp. The shield moves from a raid mob (doable with like 2-4 chars at 65) that’s always up in DZ to a rare trash mob (easily soloable at 65) that may or may not be up in DZ. The rare mob can drop a large variety of crap so it may take a lot of kills to get one. You can repeatedly open the DZ once every 30 minutes to fish for the rare at least, and get a chance at the shield once a week. The shield is worth the hassle, it’s crazy good being able to cure disease on any target even though they nerfed it so it’s only usable once per second.

e: Just remembered keep an eye out in LDoN for Dusty Cap of the Willbreaker. It is basically a single target Voice of Quellious but the fun part is it lands on any level character. Basically you can supply like 1.5 hour duration ultra crack to lowbies with it. Not important but i always liked crap like this

Solarin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 17, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Update:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Congrats, that’s a big click for bards. I don’t know if it ever gets a straight upgrade. There’s a version in GoD with Rapier of Somber Notes but it’s the same click just .5s faster, which barely matters with a 15 minute duration. If there’s a replacement to the click entirely it must be in a much later expansion.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Ended up landing on an iksar monk named Dweeb after a few false starts.

I also somehow managed to record a macro on my keyboard which would put me into auto attack mode every few seconds. Probably died 30 times to an unfortunate auto attack before I noticed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I parceled you some plat and SoW potions. I’ll check my trader and see if I have any monk stuff lying around.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

RCarr posted:

I parceled you some plat and SoW potions. I’ll check my trader and see if I have any monk stuff lying around.

Genuinely appreciate the goodies. Thanks a lot!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Goddamn if y'all haven't seen modern Macroquest, it's nuts now.

I had to run some crazy third-party tool that ripped zone geometry out of the game files and built a navmesh against it, but 30 minutes later, I clicked a single hotkey and my tank invited my other 2 members to a group, they gathered at PoK stone so the bard's selo would affect everyone, then they all ran clear to the Hole perfectly navigating multiple zones, broke in, set up a camp, and are merrily killing away while I watch. My bard got stuck in an AoE mez loop once and quit doing anything else, but otherwise I did 0 work.

If you remember KissAssist, it's now been completely automated with 0 config required for every class. No wonder every TLP is full of krono farmers

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i want to know more about these super bots of the modern age

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Reported.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I couldn’t even get ShowEQ to work so macroquest is basically wizardry to me

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there anyone experienced with monk DPS on TLP’s that can give me a run down on what weapons are better than using fists currently (Planes of Power).

It’s all very confusing.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

blatman posted:

i want to know more about these super bots of the modern age

I'm gonna assume a lurking EQ nerd already sent you PM since these are well-tred waters, but if not, a person could possibly learn everything they want to know regarding this subject with some Google combination of "MQNext" "TLP" and "FiresOfHeaven.org", maybe even combined together with a mention of popular modern internet chat app.

RCarr posted:

Is there anyone experienced with monk DPS on TLP’s that can give me a run down on what weapons are better than using fists currently (Planes of Power).

It’s all very confusing.

Pureass ratio for TLP monks, weighted toward lower delay same as it was in Live. TLP Monks benefit from a bunch of tiny cumulative changes, but no real change in gearing. Raw fists aren't broken overly strong beyond classic/kunark to meme extent. Monks do still stay ridiculously strong, but you can use the normal gearing rules for em 65+ even on TLP. Basically means a whole lot of almost anything is going to beat your raw fists at 65

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pretty much any raid weapon will outperform epic fist in main hand due to the damage bonus. It’s tolerable as an offhand because damage bonus isn’t a thing there and the epic ratio is on par with pre Time weapons.

a lot of monks in my guild used a 2HB due to ridiculous competition for the xegony fists/Shinai/quarm hammer. Plane of Fire and Cazic-Thule in PoT have good 2HB that will probably be a giant improvement from epic fists.

There’s also Battle Fists from Plane of Tactics tallos which can be done with small numbers if you can convince enough people to try and farm it. Hammer of Crushing Waves from coirnav is also an acceptable stopgap that’s pretty easy to get.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So any offhand is better than fists as long as it’s ratio is better than 23/26? Is that against MotM enemies only, or non MotM, or both?

Right now I’m using the Claws that drop from the Ssra cursed cycle and nothing in the offhand.

I was also told that 2HB is useless (no where near dual wielding DPS) unless you are using speed focus or whirlwind discipline.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 18, 2023

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

RCarr posted:

So any offhand is better than fists as long as it’s ratio is better than 23/26? Is that against MotM enemies only, or non MotM, or both?

Right now I’m using the Claws that drop from the Ssra cursed cycle and nothing in the offhand.

I was also told that 2HB is useless (no where near dual wielding DPS) unless you are using speed focus or whirlwind discipline.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. The monks in our guild wanted Xegony fist and Shinai in PoP and just used their luclin weapons until they got it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

2HB is good for a burn, I think you pop DF and FDF or something? I dunno, there's 2 things that stack that will make you poo poo out damage with a 2hb.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
Eventually, you need a 2HB when you speed focus because you attack too fast with dual wield and the game just skips your flurries. I forget around when this starts to happen. Also as other people have said, 2hb usually go a lot cheaper than trying to get 2 top tier mnk/bst one handers, and the DPS is not that much lower when not burning (it's also higher when you are tanking out fo raid cuz riposte). This is assuming you get one of the higher ratioed mnk/bst 2HB and not one of the 2HB usabable by all the 2h classes.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

2HB vs dual wield is a matter of what the best ratio you have available in those slots. I’d guess that the CT 2HB will beat fang/epic OH at the least. Monk weapon scarcity is a real thing, you can’t really plan to have the ideal one handers so take what you can get. I remember most of our monks in GoD using the inktuta 2HB full time because the important one handers just didn’t drop. Once omen hits the scarcity ends abruptly as everyone gets the absurdly strong 2.0 and you’ll never need to rock a 2H outside of burns or whirlwind disc.

Also something to keep in mind is weapon damage augs becoming a thing in LDoN. Obtaining those is another barrier to having the best possible weapon configuration.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Solarin posted:

2HB vs dual wield is a matter of what the best ratio you have available in those slots. I’d guess that the CT 2HB will beat fang/epic OH at the least. Monk weapon scarcity is a real thing, you can’t really plan to have the ideal one handers so take what you can get. I remember most of our monks in GoD using the inktuta 2HB full time because the important one handers just didn’t drop. Once omen hits the scarcity ends abruptly as everyone gets the absurdly strong 2.0 and you’ll never need to rock a 2H outside of burns or whirlwind disc.

Also something to keep in mind is weapon damage augs becoming a thing in LDoN. Obtaining those is another barrier to having the best possible weapon configuration.

In GoD we didn’t see one painsipper or whatever the monk 1hb off sheldn boc was in tacvi, after our monks stopped playing in disappointment I think one dropped and went to an alt like last or second to last raid in era. RNG is cruel.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

it's really the only downside of monk on TLP. That's why the 70 era is amazing for monk boxes with the game suddenly being flooded with high ratio melee weapons.

Also relevant to this discussion, there was a document shared on the official forums like a year+ ago with some random parse summaries that I just remembered exists. I have no idea the accuracy of this but I'm too lazy to do the work myself so it's good enough for me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hmd5a1EP7p6Li_z_F4JMUYN6p6KD6bIf3tDr_abZRpE/edit

MF_James posted:

2HB is good for a burn, I think you pop DF and FDF or something? I dunno, there's 2 things that stack that will make you poo poo out damage with a 2hb.

Speed focus + destructive force (or focused destructive force if it’s purely single target) is what makes monks dominate burns in the 65-70 range. Then you add in shaman/bard 2.0 and intensity in omens/DoN. EQ has some janky rear end gameplay but stacking all the buttons and burning your way to victory is very fun. I had so much fun just running bard/monk and grinding with no healer, relying on discs to save my rear end in emergencies.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 19, 2023

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
While we're talking monk weapons, is it good practice to keep a few different weapons while leveling to keep skills up?

I've mostly been relying on P99 info and it amounts to "skill up everything you can while leveling and dump your points in things that are harder to keep up with."

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Not really, your skills will go up really quick after you swap. No need to keep a set just for skill ups.

P99 still uses the old rates for skill ups which could take much longer.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea you can basically go from 0 to max skill in an hour or something super quick

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Cool, good to know. Thanks y'all.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
This is a little out there for the thread, but we've got some TLP regulars in here.

For anyone that knew Yace/Plushy Ogre the high elf paladin, he passed away a few weeks back. News is just getting making the rounds. He was sort of an institution on TLPs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best box to pair with a monk besides a shaman?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

RCarr posted:

What’s the best box to pair with a monk besides a shaman?

You want a healer, So Shammy is S tier, Alternatively Druid, Cleric.

If your wanting to be different do Necro. Both toons can then FD in a bad pull.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

You want a healer, So Shammy is S tier, Alternatively Druid, Cleric.

If your wanting to be different do Necro. Both toons can then FD in a bad pull.

SK/Monk is fun as well. Same multi-FD too.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Once epic 2.0s are out you’re really gonna want the shaman and the bard for their epics. Then a little raid gear on the monk and the game becomes your sandbox.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well you see I had a 60 shaman, and I made a monk on the same account with the intent to transfer one to another account once I got my 2 box computer setup ready. Now it’s ready and I found out they don’t do account transfers anymore…

I really don’t want to re-level a shaman again…

So now I have a 65 raid geared monk, and a 60 Kunark geared shaman (with epic at least) on the same account. I want to 2 box but I’m not sure what the best option is.

Help

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

RCarr posted:

Well you see I had a 60 shaman, and I made a monk on the same account with the intent to transfer one to another account once I got my 2 box computer setup ready. Now it’s ready and I found out they don’t do account transfers anymore…

I really don’t want to re-level a shaman again…

So now I have a 65 raid geared monk, and a 60 Kunark geared shaman (with epic at least) on the same account. I want to 2 box but I’m not sure what the best option is.

Help

I was able to level up an SK using a bard and Druid till the early 50s.

Below 5-> Get druid / Cleric buffs, go hog wild
5 to 20 ish -> Unrest, put a good DS on a high level toon, you can kill most of the zone as long as you can tag stuff (lowest mob is like 10)
20 to 28 ish -> Sol A Same method
28 to 43 -> Sol B Dogs including king are the most effective
43 or 44+ -> Mass pull spiders in velks. You need a class that can get enough AE agro that a CH wont pull agro, but even if it does, the caster can zone.

After 51 or 52 Velks mass pulls kind of suck. At this point I just went and mass murdered on my main at a good camp like kennels

I was able to get a toon to 44 in 2 xp pots using the above method on a raid geared bard with druid support.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Double melee is boxable but the positioning will take more getting used to than a support box, and while dps’ing everything to death will be fine for say splitpaw, when mobs start hitting hard in GoD you’ll wish you had some heals. From there you look at cleric and it’s kind of more heal than you’ll need. The Druid won’t be enough. You want the shaman slow with some heals.

While leveling twice sucks, it’s relatively easier now and once you get to 43 just duo with the monk.

I guess you also ask yourself what you’ll be using the box for. If just grinding aas you can probably get away boxing literally anything. If you wanted to try and box harder content and out of era raid mobs, you really want a strong synergy which leans strongly to shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bard is a really good monk box for low intensity grinding. Cleric is probably your best bet for allowing you to take on harder targets. Both these have the benefit of being dead simple to box and pretty useful as a raid box. Druid is the wildcard option, but is kind of more work for less reward. The one cool trick Druids get is Reptile in DoDh which is insanely nice for mindless grinding of easy mobs, which you do a hell of a lot of in DoDh to farm clickies.