Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

What do you like about American Dad on TBS?

Francine's gradual but understated descent into madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Quit shakin' her boob, Stan. She likes girls. :colbert:

Who doesn't?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I rated the Hayley Was A Girl Scout? as my fave on the poll because it was the only one whose plot I could remember just from the title alone at the time. Voted Francine as fave character.

Mostly the comments I gave were along the lines of "AD can do wacky, completely bizarre stories, as well as everyday stories equally well, and the writers find a good balance between the two extremes most of the time, so keep on doing that."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I picked "You Are Here" as my favorite episode of the season, it was such a gloriously bizarre concept executed so well.

There was one question and I can't remember exactly how it was phrased, but my answer was something like "this might end up sounding sarcastic but in a season that featured space/time travel and mall ghosts, the show still makes sense"

The_Doctor posted:

You know it!

If I ever get married, I want to have a family drug dealer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can I put Klaus as both reason I loved and hated the season

e:

shame on an IGA posted:

Toshi doesn't really speak anymore

poo poo shoulda put that too

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 12, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I liked the resurgence of Klaus' rap

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Gold Top Nuts was the best. However, since that episode aired I've been hoping to find a can of nuts that size with a gold top so I can buy one but no success so far.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nep-Nep posted:

Gold Top Nuts was the best. However, since that episode aired I've been hoping to find a can of nuts that size with a gold top so I can buy one but no success so far.

Same! I actually went out and bought myself some cashews the day after that episode aired (because I am highly susceptible to advertising) and specifically tried to find a can of them that had a gold top, but sadly one doesn't seem to exist.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 12, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Isn't it based off the original planter's peanut design? The blue base with the bright yellow top?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’ll put out the good nuts for you.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Huh, I was wondering what happened to Rupert Grint and apparently one of the few non-ron roles he took was Liam (the kid Steve follows after) in Killer Vacation. I really admire the range of actors they get for bit parts.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Girl scouts was probably my favorite this season. But I enjoyed most of them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Same! I actually went out and bought myself some cashews the day after that episode aired (because I am highly susceptible to advertising) and specifically tried to find a can of them that had a gold top, but sadly one doesn't seem to exist.

The closest I got were these hot habanero peanuts I received a stocking stuffer for Christmas

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FireWorksWell posted:

Huh, I was wondering what happened to Rupert Grint and apparently one of the few non-ron roles he took was Liam (the kid Steve follows after) in Killer Vacation. I really admire the range of actors they get for bit parts.

I tried to narrow it down to one favorite but there are just too many. Jane Krakowski as the woman who seduces the boys into flipping her house, Missy Elliott as one of the Stan-Dan Deliver kids, Josh Groban singing Steve's vigil song, Laurie Metcalf as the oology director...

edit: Sometimes I feel like I post in this thread too much. Is it natural to have this many opinions about American Dad?

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I just noticed Terry Crews in Rubbernecking, but it's an episode I usually skip during the first musical number. Craig Robinson as one of the security guards in Kiss Kiss Cam Cam, too. (Open. The gate.)

And I think it's perfectly natural, but then again it's the show I've probably rewatched the most. Little one liners or scenes from the show just pop into my head and I'll just grin like a dumbass.

Hell, just now; the bit from the Krampus episode where Santa throws a knife and it hits a wall that turns out to be alive.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Anyone still watching the show loves it in realizes that it is the longest consistently good American show so no you couldn't possibly be posting about it too much

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Anyone still watching the show loves it in realizes that it is the longest consistently good American show so no you couldn't possibly be posting about it too much

It's Always Sunny premiered the same year.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

A big difference for me is that season-wise, I prefer the first half of Sunny while it's the opposite for AD. Still solid gems in every season though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nichael posted:

Yeah but we've got more than double the episodes

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FireWorksWell posted:

I just noticed Terry Crews in Rubbernecking, but it's an episode I usually skip during the first musical number.

I love Rubbernecking so much. The entire town is revealed to be filled with weirdos & pervs, and everyone's totally okay with it. Plus, Steve's Oedipality, which I think if hilarious, is on full display here. The rest of the episode makes enduring the musical numbers worth it (also, Terry Crews as the insurance guy as DMX is pretty drat funny imho).

quote:

And I think it's perfectly natural, but then again it's the show I've probably rewatched the most. Little one liners or scenes from the show just pop into my head and I'll just grin like a dumbass.

Every once in a while, I'll remember the time that my grandmother told me that she needed a shot of B12 so she was going to make an appointment and I had to act like there was nothing hilarious about what she'd just said.

Harold Fjord posted:

Fair enough. It's not like I was going to stop anyway. :shrug:

Nichael posted:

IASIP debuted when I lived in Philly, and I'm pretty sure the fact that I didn't like it helped kill one of my friendships.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FireWorksWell posted:

I just noticed Terry Crews in Rubbernecking, but it's an episode I usually skip during the first musical number. Craig Robinson as one of the security guards in Kiss Kiss Cam Cam, too. (Open. The gate.)

Hell, just now; the bit from the Krampus episode where Santa throws a knife and it hits a wall that turns out to be alive.

I've posted this before but the minimum wage episode (Less Money, Mo' Problems) is really solid and has many guests:

David Boreanaz, Emily Deschanel, Elisabeth Shue, and Bob Odenkirk as the Hamberrobber

And all these great moments:
The slum apartment and getting mugged by the dog
Buying an Aztec
The pizza bagels
Shoe Police
Kel's Good Burger
My elbow feel funny. My elbow feel strange.
It's a Schtoobly. A Schtibbly? No, a Schtoobly. A Schtoobly!
Roger and Steve stewl/drive a Ferrari to impress Klaus
First mention of Klaus's boys

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Zero One posted:

I've posted this before but the minimum wage episode (Less Money, Mo' Problems) is really solid and has many guests:

David Boreanaz, Emily Deschanel, Elisabeth Shue, and Bob Odenkirk as the Hamberrobber

And all these great moments:
The slum apartment and getting mugged by the dog
Buying an Aztec
The pizza bagels
Shoe Police
Kel's Good Burger
My elbow feel funny. My elbow feel strange.
It's a Schtoobly. A Schtibbly? No, a Schtoobly. A Schtoobly!
Roger and Steve stewl/drive a Ferrari to impress Klaus
First mention of Klaus's boys

Imagine being a good enough sport to make a VA cameo for a part based solely (:haw:) around a pun of your name. I'm sure she's heard a trillion shoe jokes by now.

Also, I almost literally irl-spoke every moment that you listed here ("you are my queen, Rebecca!" "stompin' out criiiime" "turn my swag oooon" and so on).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

All great bits but you forgot my favorite, the homeless junkie coming back from the dead to play pictionary

YeahTubaMike posted:

Steve's Oedipality, which I think is hilarious,

"My name's whatever you want it to be." "Mm, Franci-Wait a minute..."

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Odenkirk also voices the pizza bagel guy, the politician who threatens to kill his mistress, the fast food manager whose shoes Stan steals, and the homeless guy trying to watch Stan and Francine have sex in that episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest Bob role was when he played the host of a TV show where you would send in a scale model of your house and he would burn it.

Best out there guest star has to be Chris Pine who has been on multiple times.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Robert Wuhl in "Manhattan Magical Murder Mystery Tour" ranked pretty highly on my last series rewatch.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Learning Uma Thurman voiced Gwen (so hot) was a mind gently caress for me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Njashi9 posted:

Robert Wuhl in "Manhattan Magical Murder Mystery Tour" ranked pretty highly on my last series rewatch.

I keep mistaking Manhattan Magical Murder Mystery Tour with Death by Dinner Party, because the latter is itself a murder mystery. Whatever, I ought to rewatch them both.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah but we've got more than double the episodes

Yeah, American Dad's is absolutely impressive. It exceeded The Simpsons in consistent quality by season 10, and it's still going.

I really admire how the writers keep it fresh, while also staying true to the core writing style and the characters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nichael posted:

Sunnys fine but AD has a way better hit rate in the back half

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nichael posted:

I really admire how the writers keep it fresh, while also staying true to the core writing style and the characters.

This is something I touched on in the survey. I really like how they approach old ideas from new angles like Klaus and his obsession with stuff from his childhood in Germany that no one in the family has ever heard of.

Vhat?! You don't know the story of the Grenkelmaus und the Flea?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 13, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I don't remember the episode, but I loved his weird subplot with Omar

They can keep doing "Stan's stubborn/incompetent at something" as long as they like, it always leads to great places.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Harold Fjord posted:

This is something I touched on in the survey. I really like how they approach old ideas from new angles like Klaus and his obsession with stuff from his childhood in Germany that no one in the family has ever heard of.

The punchline to that entire story was perfect.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Harold Fjord posted:

Klaus really crossed a line there it was a good episode and okay it's very Klaus never ever give Klaus more adjacency than the body a fish will allow. He's a loving monster. But also can you really blame him? Stan did kind of sit on his body until it rotted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Permanent Record Wrecker sure has a bunch of great lines. "Is this really the first time you've had this conversation? C'mon, Jamal."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

limp_cheese posted:

Learning Uma Thurman voiced Gwen (so hot) was a mind gently caress for me.

Lol wow. I somehow only learned recently that Barry is voiced by one of the main American pie actors

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Snot saying he never saw "Revenge of the Nerds" always gets a laugh out of me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

muscles like this! posted:

Permanent Record Wrecker sure has a bunch of great lines. "Is this really the first time you've had this conversation? C'mon, Jamal."

I had met a white dude named Kareem like maybe a month before I saw that episode, so it made me laugh even harder

Also, Roger offering to let Jamal keep his spot in exchange for the price of his lessons & getting his soul banished to hell as a result is one of my favorite B-plot endings :D

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's great how fast it happens. They make the deal and Jamal goes directly to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I keep thinking about Julius and what a great little guy he is.