Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ariong posted:

How did they figure that he was actually alive before they blew him up?

It might have to do with the damage to the airways.

You know, like drowning victims won’t have much water in their lungs, but bodies dumped at sea will. Or at least I think that’s the way it works in fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Platystemon posted:

It might have to do with the damage to the airways.

You know, like drowning victims won’t have much water in their lungs, but bodies dumped at sea will. Or at least I think that’s the way it works in fiction.

This man had dynamite in his lungs!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I was looking through stuff at the Danish National Archives and found an apothecary bill from the plague year 1711, covering June 20 – September 14 for at total cost of 77 rigsdaler, 3 mark, and 6 skilling.

The rest of the pages: https://imgur.com/a/xF63IxA

While the medications are in latin cursive and should be readable by most itt, the preamble is in gothic cursive, so I've transcribed it:

quote:

Auff Verordnung Monsr Seifferts
Pest Chirurgus ist am Medicamenta zur
die Kranken auff dem auß hie-
sigen Konnigl. Apotheekers abgefolget
worden als folget:

That is, "by order of plague surgeon Mr. Seiffert, the ill were prescribed medicaments from the present royal apothecary as follows". The royal apothecary was Frantz Peckel, and the plague-surgeon was Johann Caspar Seiffert (also called barber in another document).

Cool stuff, like "ocul. cancr." (crayfish gastroliths), Venetian theriaca (a herbal panacea), aqua vitae (alcohol), etc

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Offler posted:

Book recommendation: The Autobiography of Fukuzawa Yukichi

If you want to learn more about this period, look up Philipp Franz von Siebold. I wrote a post about him a few weeks ago in this very thread, because I live in the city where he lived after being expelled from Japan the first time. We have a natural history museum, ethnographic museum and botanical garden full of stuff he had smuggled out. Dude was basically the world's first weeb, and the reason why Dutch was the only western language with any kind of widespread use in Japan until Perry showed up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

On December 31st, 1472 the city of Amsterdam tried to ban snowball fights and the mayor even gave some people house arrest.

This went about as well as you'd expect.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

On December 31st, 1472 the city of Amsterdam tried to ban snowball fights and the mayor even gave some people house arrest.

This went about as well as you'd expect.

The deep generational shame this incident caused is why Amsterdam is a cool city now.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Interestingly, the man who (allegedly - at least has the first recorded mention of it) invented the idea of having a rib removed for autofellatio purposes is also credited with inventing fascism

Plus he conquered a city in peacetime for shits and giggles

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
That is one definition of interesting, yes

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

He also regularly bragged about raping women. He the type of man who if his mother tripped up and threw him under the wheels of a bus as an infant, it would have been a net benefit to the world.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Jerome K. Jerome was a funny guy. A lot of the humor in his books still hits the mark more than 120 years after being written. Some of my favorites are his description of Germans in Three Men on the Bummel, written in 1900.

Jerome posted:

In the German parks there are special seats labelled, "Only for grown- ups" (Nur fur Erwachsene), and the German small boy, anxious to sit down, and reading that notice, passes by, and hunts for a seat on which children are permitted to rest; and there he seats himself, careful not to touch the woodwork with his muddy boots. Imagine a seat in Regent's or St. James's Park labelled "Only for grown-ups!" Every child for five miles round would be trying to get on that seat, and hauling other children off who were on. As for any "grown-up," he would never be able to get within half a mile of that seat for the crowd. The German small boy, who has accidentally sat down on such without noticing, rises with a start when his error is pointed out to him, and goes away with down-cast head, brushing to the roots of his hair with shame and regret.

Here Jerome has been kept awake several nights by cats outside his hotel window, so he has thrown a bunch of stuff at them. A German policeman has gathered all the thrown items and proceeds to question Jerome about them.

Jerome posted:

"I threw them out of the window at some cats," I answered.

"What cats?" he asked.

It was the sort of question a German policeman would ask. I replied with as much sarcasm as I could put into my accent that I was ashamed to say I could not tell him what cats. I explained that, personally, they were strangers to me; but I offered, if the police would call all the cats in the district together, to come round and see if I could recognise them by their yaul.

The German policeman does not understand a joke, which is perhaps on the whole just as well, for I believe there is a heavy fine for joking with any German uniform; they call it "treating an official with contumely." He merely replied that it was not the duty of the police to help me recognise the cats; their duty was merely to fine me for throwing things out of window.

I asked what a man was supposed to do in Germany when woke up night after night by cats, and he explained that I could lodge an information against the owner of the cat, when the police would proceed to caution him, and, if necessary, order the cat to be destroyed. Who was going to destroy the cat, and what the cat would be doing during the process, he did not explain.

I asked him how he proposed I should discover the owner of the cat. He thought for a while, and then suggested that I might follow it home. I did not feel inclined to argue with him any more after that; I should only have said things that would have made the matter worse. As it was, that night's sport cost me twelve marks; and not a single one of the four German officials who interviewed me on the subject could see anything ridiculous in the proceedings from beginning to end.

Jerome posted:

The only individual throughout Germany who ever dreams of taking liberties with the law is the German student, and he only to a certain well-defined point. By custom, certain privileges are permitted to him, but even these are strictly limited and clearly understood. For instance, the German student may get drunk and fall asleep in the gutter with no other penalty than that of having the next morning to tip the policeman who has found him and brought him home. But for this purpose he must choose the gutters of side-streets.
[...]
Likewise, he may shout and sing as he walks home, up till half-past two; and at certain restaurants it is permitted to him to put his arm round the Fraulein's waist. To prevent any suggestion of unseemliness, the waitresses at restaurants frequented by students are always carefully selected from among a staid and elderly classy of women, by reason of which the German student can enjoy the delights of flirtation without fear and without reproach to anyone.

They are a law-abiding people, the Germans.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In 1867, physician Theophilus Turner near Fort Wallace in Kansas uncovered a plesiosaur skeleton, which he donated to Cope.[23] Cope attempted to reconstruct the animal on the assumption that the longer extremity of the vertebral column was the tail, the shorter one the neck. He soon noticed that the skeleton taking shape under his hands had some very special qualities: the neck vertebrae had chevrons and with the tail vertebrae the joint surfaces were orientated back to front.[24]

Excited, Cope concluded to have discovered an entirely new group of reptiles: the Streptosauria or "Turned Saurians", which would be distinguished by reversed vertebrae and a lack of hindlimbs, the tail providing the main propulsion.[25]

After having published a description of this animal,[26] followed by an illustration in a textbook about reptiles and amphibians,[27] Cope invited Marsh and Joseph Leidy to admire his new Elasmosaurus platyurus. Having listened to Cope's interpretation for a while, Marsh suggested that a simpler explanation of the strange build would be that Cope had reversed the vertebral column relative to the body as a whole.

When Cope reacted indignantly to this suggestion, Leidy silently took the skull and placed it against the presumed last tail vertebra, to which it fitted perfectly: it was in fact the first neck vertebra, with still a piece of the rear skull attached to it.[28]

Mortified, Cope tried to destroy the entire edition of the textbook and, when this failed, immediately published an improved edition with a correct illustration but an identical date of publication.[29]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

In 1867, physician Theophilus Turner near Fort Wallace in Kansas uncovered a plesiosaur skeleton, which he donated to Cope.[23] Cope attempted to reconstruct the animal on the assumption that the longer extremity of the vertebral column was the tail, the shorter one the neck. He soon noticed that the skeleton taking shape under his hands had some very special qualities: the neck vertebrae had chevrons and with the tail vertebrae the joint surfaces were orientated back to front.[24]

Excited, Cope concluded to have discovered an entirely new group of reptiles: the Streptosauria or "Turned Saurians", which would be distinguished by reversed vertebrae and a lack of hindlimbs, the tail providing the main propulsion.[25]

After having published a description of this animal,[26] followed by an illustration in a textbook about reptiles and amphibians,[27] Cope invited Marsh and Joseph Leidy to admire his new Elasmosaurus platyurus. Having listened to Cope's interpretation for a while, Marsh suggested that a simpler explanation of the strange build would be that Cope had reversed the vertebral column relative to the body as a whole.

When Cope reacted indignantly to this suggestion, Leidy silently took the skull and placed it against the presumed last tail vertebra, to which it fitted perfectly: it was in fact the first neck vertebra, with still a piece of the rear skull attached to it.[28]

Mortified, Cope tried to destroy the entire edition of the textbook and, when this failed, immediately published an improved edition with a correct illustration but an identical date of publication.[29]

Man how did he...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's no coming back from that lmao

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
So that's where the Cope meme comes from

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

christmas boots posted:

In the early 90s I volunteered at an archaeology site for a while. One day I was tasked with cleaning some (human) bones that had been previously excavated. I set up next to the site director; each of us had a trash bag full of bones that was supposed to contain one individual. Marco starts laying out bones - humerus, femur, tibia, 'nother tibia, humerus, humerus ... oh my gosh this person had a deformity! This is so exciting! Did they actually have a 3rd arm or is that extra humerus really a deformed femur?! He was so thrilled and immediately started speculating that this made sense because the prior site was a hospital so of course a deformed person would be found there.

Or, as I pulled the 2nd skull out of my bag, I pointed out maybe somebody messed up when they packed the bones. Sometimes scientists people just lose sight of Occam's razor when they get caught up in a cool idea.

E: Also on the topic of skulls, Cope's own noggin went AWOL at multiple points after his death.

wheatpuppy has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jan 19, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Did they check the end of his sacrum?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Carbon dioxide posted:

This also effectively destroyed Cope and Marsh's friendship and directly led to the "Bone Wars" between the two

christmas boots posted:

A very large book on Dinosaurs I still have from my childhood includes throughout it little comics depicting major moments in paleontology's history and how it depicts that whole bit is just wonderful, I'll have to see if I can get a good picture of it to share

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

E: Also on the topic of skulls, Cope's own noggin went AWOL at multiple points after his death.

Clearly the work of vengeful plesiosaur ghosts.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

It’s the 19th century version of reply-all. Complete with attempts to unsend.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

drrockso20 posted:

This also effectively destroyed Cope and Marsh's friendship and directly led to the "Bone Wars" between the two

A very large book on Dinosaurs I still have from my childhood includes throughout it little comics depicting major moments in paleontology's history and how it depicts that whole bit is just wonderful, I'll have to see if I can get a good picture of it to share

Idk seems like Leidy made the kill I think he blamed the wrong guy

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Soul Dentist posted:

https://youtu.be/--9kqhzQ-8Q

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

drrockso20 posted:

dunno if it's the same thing but i got like a magazine of dinosaurs for years! they had all the bone war comics, and just the first year gave you enough pieces for a glow in the dark t-rex! dunno if you're talking about the same thing but you reminded me of it, so thanks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh God the dinosaur magazine with the glow in the dark skeleton! I remember that! I wonder if that skeleton is still in my parents' attic somewhere

I remember my mom told me the next issue would have a chunk of flesh or muscle or something and I was like " I don't want to cover my skeleton" and we cancelled the subscription...

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Clever mom.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Soul Dentist posted:

Cope does sound like the kind of man who had his head up his rear end, yes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

dunno if it's the same thing but i got like a magazine of dinosaurs for years! they had all the bone war comics, and just the first year gave you enough pieces for a glow in the dark t-rex! dunno if you're talking about the same thing but you reminded me of it, so thanks.

I think mine is from the same source material but combined into one immense volume

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

drrockso20 posted:

I think mine is from the same source material but combined into one immense volume

lol gently caress it must be huge, cause i was getting it for years. it almost seemed like they were making up dinosaurs it went on so long, they even had pterosaurs and poo poo, those aren't dinosaurs! (for some reason)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

lol gently caress it must be huge, cause i was getting it for years. it almost seemed like they were making up dinosaurs it went on so long, they even had pterosaurs and poo poo, those aren't dinosaurs! (for some reason)

According to the cover of this tome, The Humongous Book of Dinosaurs, it has 1,256 pages and yeah it does cover quite a few non dinosaur life forms in it as well

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I bought some gigantic book about dinosaurs during a book sale a few years back, only to discover that some of the art in it was really not good and probably taken from some kids books from way before it got made. Which was kinda disappointing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

From a Danish newspaper 1879 (my translation and emphasis):

"Disappearance. Bookseller Julius Gandrup of [street] here in [Copenhagen] has a half score days ago left the city and has not returned. As there are significant discrepancies and disorders in his affairs, it is reasonable to assume that he has sought the refuge of bad consciences: America. The Gandrup estate, which entered bankruptcy yesterday, had liabilities of about 250k kroner, whereas the assets were relatively insignificant. The greatest loss will likely fall on a pair of resident brokers."

https://www2.statsbiblioteket.dk/mediestream/avis/record/doms_aviser_page%3Auuid%3Ac583712f-6b34-4009-91aa-c78da1f262c1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeez, that's an understatment

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Offler posted:

Jerome K. Jerome was a funny guy. A lot of the humor in his books still hits the mark more than 120 years after being written. Some of my favorites are his description of Germans in Three Men on the Bummel, written in 1900.

Here Jerome has been kept awake several nights by cats outside his hotel window, so he has thrown a bunch of stuff at them. A German policeman has gathered all the thrown items and proceeds to question Jerome about them.

JKJ’s Three Men In A Boat makes me laugh so hard I can’t read the funny bits to my wife without crying. I don’t even know why. It’s perfect.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jeez, that's an understatment

its funny cause its true :cool:

Also there's this one from 1860, which tbf was probably an intentional joke: "To the relatives of the two year ago to Chicago emigrated bachelor Christen Mortensen, about whom it was rumored that he had come to great misfortune and died, it is hereby proclaimed that it is not the case; he has merely married." Signed Svend Larsen of Chicago, presently in Denmark.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

From a Danish newspaper 1879 (my translation and emphasis):

"Disappearance. Bookseller Julius Gandrup of [street] here in [Copenhagen] has a half score days ago left the city and has not returned. As there are significant discrepancies and disorders in his affairs, it is reasonable to assume that he has sought the refuge of bad consciences: America. The Gandrup estate, which entered bankruptcy yesterday, had liabilities of about 250k kroner, whereas the assets were relatively insignificant. The greatest loss will likely fall on a pair of resident brokers."

https://www2.statsbiblioteket.dk/mediestream/avis/record/doms_aviser_page%3Auuid%3Ac583712f-6b34-4009-91aa-c78da1f262c1

I'm guessing reading that font is second nature to you now, but when I read it now it looked like they wrote "de daarlige samvittigheders Hjul" until I worked out that the last word is probably "Asyl" or something similar. I was scratching my head wondering how "the wheel of bad consciences" made sense in Danish before I looked at your translation and realized my mistake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What the timeline of blackletter typesetting in Danish anyway? When did it fall out of use? Did it hang on in some niches longer than others?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Offler posted:

I'm guessing reading that font is second nature to you now, but when I read it now it looked like they wrote "de daarlige samvittigheders Hjul" until I worked out that the last word is probably "Asyl" or something similar. I was scratching my head wondering how "the wheel of bad consciences" made sense in Danish before I looked at your translation and realized my mistake.

yeah its "asyl". i probably would have made that guess too earlier

tbf i have like 20 years of practice with handwritten poo poo from the 1700s so any kind of printed text is a blessing

Platystemon posted:

What the timeline of blackletter typesetting in Danish anyway? When did it fall out of use? Did it hang on in some niches longer than others?

as far as typesetting goes, it stopped late 1800s, but it was a gradual thing. by 1900 or 1910 i would say 100% of print in denmark was in latin script (i forgot the word, latin as opposed to gothic; ie serifs and poo poo).

but already in the 1700s it was a whole thing, esp w germany, å vs aa etc

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

"To the relatives of the two year ago to Chicago emigrated bachelor

Assuming this is a direct translation, is current Danish language structured like that? As opposed to something like “to the relatives of the bachelor that moved to Chicago two years ago”.

I’m trying to think of a good way to ask this, but my brain no work so good, so I’ll just ask: why did languages evolve so that sentence portions are transposed? For instance, that sentence above or something like haricots vert/green beans.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

Assuming this is a direct translation, is current Danish language structured like that? As opposed to something like “to the relatives of the bachelor that moved to Chicago two years ago”.

I’m trying to think of a good way to ask this, but my brain no work so good, so I’ll just ask: why did languages evolve so that sentence portions are transposed? For instance, that sentence above or something like haricots vert/green beans.

It's a Scandinavian thing. Many languages are fluid with their syntax by doing a lot of signaling through declensions and suffixes.

"I threw the cow over the fence some hay" is a classic Michigan Yooperism, along with "I had twice beer, side by each."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cacafuego posted:

I’m trying to think of a good way to ask this, but my brain no work so good.

no worries im also drunk so here goes:

germanic languges, agglutinative & poo poo, so idk if that has a bearing, but if you have enough kasus you can just move words.

this word order is not normally used in danish, but for a long time the administrative class was german, so we have a thing called kancellisprog, that is "chancery language" which is basically danish but with german word order and passive voice

so instead of saying "please let out the cat" you would say "Pro memoria: Allernådigste herre. Det måtte ønskes at katten ved næste behagelige lejlighed blev frisluppen, ifald omstændighederne dertil sig byder. Om det sig ikke muliggør, forvente vi en rask tilbagemelding. Som altid, eders tjener osv."

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deteriorata posted:

It's a Scandinavian thing. Many languages are fluid with their syntax by doing a lot of signaling through declensions and suffixes.

"I threw the cow over the fence some hay" is a classic Michigan Yooperism, along with "I had twice beer, side by each."

One of these examples works a lot better than the other