Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

Drives don't need to be a matching size or anything, they just need to no be larger than your parity drive, so you can mix and match with whatever drives you have or pick up on sale going forward.

e:fb

What if the new drives is larger than the parity drive? How will that work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

RoboBoogie posted:

Your new larger drive is now parity! Mine has gone from 10 TB to 12 TB to 14 TB over the last few years.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

RoboBoogie posted:

Like Corb3t said the new drive becomes the parity drive and your old parity drive joins the array as regular storage instead.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I found the PDF for the HPE ML30 gen9 server that I've got coming in the mail, and it states the non-hot swappable LFF model is limited to 16 TB (4 drives, each 4TB).

Is that true? I've never seen a computer with a maximum hard drive space limit before. Is that limitation with the software and something that could be overcome with unRAID?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I've been using a Nvidia Shield to run my Plex server, but it keeps shutting down randomly and staying down until I manually reboot it. It's pretty old at this point, so I figure now's a good time to swap to a proper NAS. Is there a goon recommended prebuilt? I basically just have one or two external drives I have plugged into the Shield so I don't need anything with a crazy amount of drive bays, and I can just pick up an internal drive if my external drives won't play nice with it or come with drives already. As long as it's a solid Plex server, plays nice with windows and isn't more than 200$ or so (I can go up to 300$ but that's stretching the budget) I'll be happy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SpartanIvy posted:

So I found the PDF for the HPE ML30 gen9 server that I've got coming in the mail, and it states the non-hot swappable LFF model is limited to 16 TB (4 drives, each 4TB).

Is that true? I've never seen a computer with a maximum hard drive space limit before. Is that limitation with the software and something that could be overcome with unRAID?

There’s a lot of weird “officially” supported things with HPE stuff, I’m on a work trip at the moment but I’ll be loading mine up to the gills when I get home testing out unsupported stuff.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In my experience, the drive size limits are just "We will only officially support these wildly overpriced drives we sell, and at the time of publishing these were the largest ones we had tested in this model". It should speak normal SATA/SAS and work with whatever you plug in.

With the usual caveat about HPE being a stereotypical enterprise vendor who will happily write firmware that goes out of its way to make life hard unless you buy their components at three times the third party cost. But this specific time I think you'll be fine - I think the small fileserver at work is an ML30 with third party 10TB drives, and I've had no problems with that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The only limit that exists on disks is if Master Boot Record is used, because its partition size is limited to (2^31)-1 bytes.
However, even if you have a system that can only boot using INT 0x19 from BIOS or UEFI-CSM, GPT with pMBR is always an option so long as you're using an OS that isn't horribly outdated, so I can't imagine anyone would run into issues unless they're actively trying.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Paul MaudDib posted:

speaking of which what do people think about the HPE microservers? anything better around in that price range, say $500-1k with 4 bays? any of the QNAP ryzen models worthwhile at all?

does anyone have any major complaints about the X470D4U base model?

also, does the Intel I226-v work yet or is intel 2.5gbe just forever cursed? there are some decent deals on 6x2.5gbe firewall appliances with 1165G7 but they all use the intel shitsets lol. maybe it'd be better to get something with a pcie slot and just put it in a velka case or something with an actual NIC card

I had a micro server gen10 (not plus) running as my primary home server for 5ish years. It was great. The newer gen10+ models can have iLO which was one of those things that pushed me towards a rack mount DL380 g9.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You need to buy an extra daughterboard because the motherboard on the Gen10 Plus doesn't come with the OOB BMC chip.

More annoying is the fact that you need an active support contract with HPE to get the firmware.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 13, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i got a synology ds920+ on a good sale a few months ago, and promptly forgot about it until recently. what are the good hdd's to buy to put in this thing nowadays? im going to be using it to backup me and my family's photos, a centralised network TimeMachine, and hopefully as a PLEX server and :files: box, depending on if i can manage to figure those things out

the name IronWolf stands out in my brain as the defacto best, but that's probably based on 2009 ancestral knowledge when i paid attention to computer hardware touching things beyond "what gpu makes my games go vroom" and "how much ram is too much ram"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SpartanIvy posted:

FWIW I ran bigger drives than that on my olllld Turion microserver 10+ years ago.

edit: what are the odds it will run on an E3-1270v2 for example vs the far, far more expensive v6?

edit edit: looks like it shipped with the v5 at some point, so that's encouraging. I'll keep reading...

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 14, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: what are the odds it will run on an E3-1270v2 for example vs the far, far more expensive v6?

None, they're not socket compatible. Your only Xeon options for that box are E3-12xx V5 and E3-12xx V6, and the latter might require a newer BIOS than what you have.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

IOwnCalculus posted:

None, they're not socket compatible. Your only Xeon options for that box are E3-12xx V5 and E3-12xx V6, and the latter might require a newer BIOS than what you have.

Perfect, thank you much.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IOwnCalculus posted:

All I want for Christmas is for intels Xeon and Core model/generation numbering numbers to align in a way that's mostly obvious.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So this is probably a dumb question, but I wanted to get input so I don't screw it up. I picked up a DS920+ during the Black Friday sales, as well as 2x 6 TB drives to start off as my home's shared folder drives. I got those setup just recently and seems to be working great.

I also have 2x 4 TB WD RED NAS drives from past systems that were barely used; I was thinking to put them in the DS920+ also, but use them for Time Machine backups on our home's Macs, to replace the several year old Apple Time Capsule.

If I put the drives in, would it simply be a matter of creating a second Storage Pool using these, and then formatting and setting them up for Time Machine backups? This way, I'd have the Time machine backups separate from my general home shared drive/folders.

Thanks!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
is anyone familiar with atpdepot?
https://atpdepot.com/product/synology-diskstation-ds920-4-bay-nas/
This is the cheapest that i'm finding the 920+. Seems most of ebay is loading them up to sell instead barebones. I'm mostly happy with the DS218+ except I need more drive bays. I'm loaded up with 2x14TB on SHR. I'd like to get 4 bays so i can keep shuckin 14's.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SourKraut posted:

If I put the drives in, would it simply be a matter of creating a second Storage Pool using these, and then formatting and setting them up for Time Machine backups? This way, I'd have the Time machine backups separate from my general home shared drive/folders.

On the synology side, yep easy as that. Means you're locked out of expansion for your main pool though, if your 2x6TB was just to start.

(One possibility to split the difference would be to use a single drive as the time machine backup destination -- if the main purpose for that is just to be a backup rather than snapshots / history, redundant drives are not really critical. You still have 2 copies, between the computers and the nas.)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Klyith posted:

On the synology side, yep easy as that. Means you're locked out of expansion for your main pool though, if your 2x6TB was just to start.

(One possibility to split the difference would be to use a single drive as the time machine backup destination -- if the main purpose for that is just to be a backup rather than snapshots / history, redundant drives are not really critical. You still have 2 copies, between the computers and the nas.)

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's for a standard Time Machine setup, with the local snapshots/hourly backups in the past 24 hours, daily for the last month, etc. But I'm also not opposed to revising the backup scheme for these, since it would be nice to have the option to expand the NAS in the future. My other thought had been that when the 6 TB space gets near capacity, I could swap one of them for a larger drive, backup to it, then replace the other with an equal size? Kinda regret not getting larger drives when they were having the various sales...

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Klyith posted:

Another way you could accomplish a Time Machine backup without tying it to specific drive slots on the Synology: chuck all those drives into the same storage pool; create a shared folder in that storage pool that you'll use as the target for Time Machine backups; create a user account that you'll use for the Mac(s) to access that shared folder over the network; set a quota/data cap on that user to whatever you like, in order to keep the Time Machine backups from eating up the whole storage pool.

There might be a more elegant way to do this (I am just an amateur and this is how I managed to set mine up some years ago), but point is, I think there are ways to do this while keeping things in one storage pool that lets you easily upgrade hard drives over time.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 17, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i got a synology ds920+ on a good sale a few months ago, and promptly forgot about it until recently. what are the good hdd's to buy to put in this thing nowadays? im going to be using it to backup me and my family's photos, a centralised network TimeMachine, and hopefully as a PLEX server and :files: box, depending on if i can manage to figure those things out

the name IronWolf stands out in my brain as the defacto best, but that's probably based on 2009 ancestral knowledge when i paid attention to computer hardware touching things beyond "what gpu makes my games go vroom" and "how much ram is too much ram"

Ok so to follow up, afaict IronWolf seems to be the preferred NAS hdd. What’s the difference between the IronWolf and IronWolfPro?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ok so to follow up, afaict IronWolf seems to be the preferred NAS hdd. What’s the difference between the IronWolf and IronWolfPro?

Drive speed depending on the size (5400 vs 7200 rpm), cache size and pro is rated to handle more workload without failures so rated to last longer. You are paying a little more for longevity (supposedly) and faster speeds if you care about that. I think all the newer versions use CMR so you don't have to worry about SMR vs CMR.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SourKraut posted:

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's for a standard Time Machine setup, with the local snapshots/hourly backups in the past 24 hours, daily for the last month, etc. But I'm also not opposed to revising the backup scheme for these, since it would be nice to have the option to expand the NAS in the future. My other thought had been that when the 6 TB space gets near capacity, I could swap one of them for a larger drive, backup to it, then replace the other with an equal size? Kinda regret not getting larger drives when they were having the various sales...

Yeah.

But the thing with synology is that it uses dis-similar drive sizes efficiently. As blotto otter says, if you're not opposed to having your normal data and time machine on the same pool, you could chuck all four of your drives in the same pool. Using the Synology Hybrid Raid with 1 drive redundancy it'll give you ~10 TB of usable space, not 8.

Upgrading later would then be a matter of replacing the 2 4TB drives (one at a time) with a pair of larger drives, and you would continue to get full utilization.

If already you set up the 6TB drives with classic raid instead of SHR and wrote a bunch of data this might be a pain to change over, as you'll have to move data off and back.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Pro is always 7200 rpm, and may or may not have a longer warranty. Seagate uses CMR for all IronWolf drives, so the main bugbear you have to watch out for with WD isn't a problem.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Though that said, the good WD drives are also perfectly fine. I'm sure there's a performance difference one way or the other, but I doubt it'll be anything you notice.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Awesome, thanks! I’ll shoot for the Pro and hope for a sale soon :)

Last dumb question: I’m assuming raid 5 is the most efficient type for four drives to maximise space, but after thinking about it, if im planning on having a partition for plex hosting and seedboxing, can i even assign the drives to a RAID? Can I partition after putting them into raid?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Got my HPE ML30 Gen9 from Ebay today. Exactly as described. The outside could use a little cleaning but the inside looks mint.

I've got it booting to Unraid without much issues, and got the NVIDIA P400 installed. I had to go through the BIOS and reconfigure a bunch of poo poo, but that wasn't too bad. FWIW my BIOS is U23 v2.10 from 02/21/2017. Curious to hear what everyone else's is. Apparently BIOS updates for it are behind a paywall so we're kinda stuck with what it comes with. This appears to be the latest publicly available BIOS update

Looks like I can't do much more without buying a bunch of hard drives sadly, so I guess that's next on the list. Figured out how to mount the single 1TB drive as the array.

I'm also looking to expand the 4 GB of ram.

Also mine did not come with a front fan, which is as it was pictured on the ebay listing, but the bios bitches about it. Looks like the HPE motherboard uses some funky 6 pin (3x2) fan header. Any idea if anyone makes an adapter to use a standard 3 or 4 pin fan? I don't want to pay $50 for a front fan. The rear fan it came with sounds like it's dying, so it's probably a wise move to swap that out before it fails too.

e.pilot posted:

There’s a lot of weird “officially” supported things with HPE stuff, I’m on a work trip at the moment but I’ll be loading mine up to the gills when I get home testing out unsupported stuff.
Are you back home yet? Any luck trying out the accessories you have for it?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 18, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Awesome, thanks! I’ll shoot for the Pro and hope for a sale soon :)

Last dumb question: I’m assuming raid 5 is the most efficient type for four drives to maximise space, but after thinking about it, if im planning on having a partition for plex hosting and seedboxing, can i even assign the drives to a RAID? Can I partition after putting them into raid?

If you've got a synology I'd just use the Hybrid Raid thing, it's the most flexible. And IMO auto-managed stuff like that is why to buy an off-the-shelf synology instead of DIYing poo poo. SHR with 1-drive redundancy is equivalent to raid 5. This is your Pool.

Below Pool is Volume (equivalent of partitions). You *could* create multiple volumes for different poo poo. But a question is, why? You can also have one big volume and create folders with quotas to limit how much space your torrents can take up or whatever. Quotas are easy to change at any time, volumes are annoying.

Unless you had a very specific goal I see little reason to have multiple volumes on a home NAS.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

If you've got a synology I'd just use the Hybrid Raid thing, it's the most flexible. And IMO auto-managed stuff like that is why to buy an off-the-shelf synology instead of DIYing poo poo. SHR with 1-drive redundancy is equivalent to raid 5. This is your Pool.

Below Pool is Volume (equivalent of partitions). You *could* create multiple volumes for different poo poo. But a question is, why? You can also have one big volume and create folders with quotas to limit how much space your torrents can take up or whatever. Quotas are easy to change at any time, volumes are annoying.

Unless you had a very specific goal I see little reason to have multiple volumes on a home NAS.

Oh snap, nice! Will that also let me point timemachine at it? (I’m assuming yes since I’d it’s acting as one big drive then yolo)

I’m not sure how much I should be able to expect out of the 920+, I’m not going to be streaming 4K from plex nor expect much out of network network traffic, but it’d be nice to not leaving my tower running to handle all that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Oh snap, nice! Will that also let me point timemachine at it? (I’m assuming yes since I’d it’s acting as one big drive then yolo)

I know absolutely nothing about time machine, but it doesn't seem to matter at all. Other PCs on the network just see a list of shared folders, with no difference which volume. From what I can see time machine used to need an apple-specific network service but now just uses standard SMB shares.

I did just see a good reason for multiple pools/volumes: someone with a home surveillance system putting those recordings on a separate single-drive volume, because that doesn't need redundancy and is constantly in use.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m not sure how much I should be able to expect out of the 920+, I’m not going to be streaming 4K from plex nor expect much out of network network traffic, but it’d be nice to not leaving my tower running to handle all that

It'll stream 4k video just fine if you don't need transcoding. From what i've seen people say, the web UI isn't as snappy as on a faster PC and especially bogs down if you're serving to multiple people. (I am continually astounded by the number of people who turn their plex into a mini-netflix for a dozen other people.)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SpartanIvy posted:

Are you back home yet? Any luck trying out the accessories you have for it?
I wish, not for another month

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I am working on replacing an aging Drobo5N. It's got a mix of 3 & 6TB drives, with about 9TB used.
I'll be doing machine backup, streaming to 1-2 machines on the network (as files, not transcoding on the box).

I've been looking at ~5 bay offerings from Synology and qNap, and the qNap ones seem to be cheaper. Is there some reason to choose Synology over qNap?
The QNAP TS-932PX-4G is the front runner for me so far. Any better suggestions or reasons to not choose it?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SpartanIvy posted:

Also mine did not come with a front fan, which is as it was pictured on the ebay listing, but the bios bitches about it.

Same. Not thrilled. Not sure how you can list it as “fully functional” when the BIOS is throwing errors and you can’t run any PCIe cards.
Wouldn’t be a huge deal if the fan didn’t cost as much as the whole server over again.
Not thrilled at all.

edit: wait, it is listed as 820290-B21 HPE ML30 Gen9 front PCI FIO redundant fan kit. Does that mean it's an optional component?
edit edit: ah, yes it is, as referenced here and specifically called out as optional: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04917057

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 19, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AlternateAccount posted:

Same. Not thrilled. Not sure how you can list it as “fully functional” when the BIOS is throwing errors and you can’t run any PCIe cards.
Wouldn’t be a huge deal if the fan didn’t cost as much as the whole server over again.
Not thrilled at all.

edit: wait, it is listed as 820290-B21 HPE ML30 Gen9 front PCI FIO redundant fan kit. Does that mean it's an optional component?
edit edit: ah, yes it is, as referenced here and specifically called out as optional: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04917057

Seems like a weird design choice for HPE, but whatever. I googled the weird 6 pin connector a lot today and discovered that it is indeed HPE proprietary. There are some people out there who have made Arduinos and circuit boards that can convert the 6 pin interface to a standard 4-pon fan connector, but the easier and cheaper solution is to just use one of the SATA power plugs available and power a normal fan with a power adapter.

I got PLEX up and running on my server tonight, but then I somehow broke the whole thing when trying to install the NVIDIA driver to use my P400 for transcoding. I now can't access the App page in Unraid and it says my flash drive is full, which it isn't. I have no idea what to do so I'm probably going to fresh-install Unraid tomorrow and start over.

e: Also the power supply is proprietary. DO NOT try to use a normal ATX power supply because it will fry your mobo.

e2: the error I get on boot is:

error writing '/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdb' : no space left on device
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba: line 33: echo: write error: no space left on device

and then that line repeats for like 12 times before starting samba and dumping me on the login prompt.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 19, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I mean sounds like you're out of space?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Less Fat Luke posted:

I mean sounds like you're out of space?

Definitely not the case. It's a 16GB drive with only unRAID and Plex installed. Googling suggested a corrupted file but I don't know how to fix that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SpartanIvy posted:

Definitely not the case. It's a 16GB drive with only unRAID and Plex installed. Googling suggested a corrupted file but I don't know how to fix that.

Plex or any other containers should not (NOT) be running off your flash drive. How on earth did you manage to do this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Matt Zerella posted:

Plex or any other containers should not (NOT) be running off your flash drive. How on earth did you manage to do this?

Initial file path for installation was probably to the wrong drive?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Matt Zerella posted:

I followed several different guides to install Plex so I probably did that right, at least. The issues came after I tried to install the Nvidia driver.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SpartanIvy posted:

I followed several different guides to install Plex so I probably did that right, at least. The issues came after I tried to install the Nvidia driver.

That's really strange. I've got the same driver on an 8gig flash drive install and there's a ton of space left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The drive shows as only having used like 700 megs so I really think it's a corrupt file somewhere.