Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gologle posted:

MAN EWING DON'T FUCKIN MISS

:hmmyes:

Except in Venom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i'm real glad to see ewing is building off of unstoppable wasp

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Great cap off to Vulpes' Strange series. Excited for the next one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

As always, the answer is to cross the streams.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:hmmyes:

Except in Venom

:haibrow:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What's wrong with Venom?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's not only extremely decompressed but it's also a continuation and exploration of concepts that nobody likes.

Also yes, I was in fact talking about Wasp. I found myself actually quite taken with Unstoppable Wasp by the end of its run, and I'm glad Ewing is continuing it. A lot of that was because of Gurihiru's art

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the current run on venom is based on a very ambitious concept that i might like for a character other than eddie brock. it doesn't work for eddie at all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Strange is awesome, it's one of the better series available.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The best issue of Venom so far was when he reverted to his old "eat Spider-Man's brains" characterization

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Following up Immortal Hulk was going to be an impossible task, but this new run of Hulk is just straight up bad, right? What the gently caress even was this issue?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I like this Venom run a lot, especially the Eddie stuff. It's such a high-concept swing for Venom of all characters that I can't help but love it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I like this Venom run a lot, especially the Eddie stuff. It's such a high-concept swing for Venom of all characters that I can't help but love it.

Yeah it's where I'm at with it too. I think it's a fun kind of weird personal quantum time horror thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I thought it was dumb at first, but I've decided to just have fun with the current Punisher run.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

wiegieman posted:

I thought it was dumb at first, but I've decided to just have fun with the current Punisher run.

Frank vs Ares is such a cool concept, to me it’s way more fun than the main Hand storyline

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, the gathering of concerned former allies throughout this last issue was great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't believe strange and clea were actually crystal gems this whole time

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I respect what Ewing is doing with Venom even if it's a take on the character I'm not in love with, but I do think it's some of his weakest Marvel work so far. I can't even say it's entirely his fault. I just think the iconography and mythos that Cates and Stegman built up in the preceding run aren't very good and Ewing is straining to spin it all into something interesting.

I'm also not a fan of the shapeless style Hitch uses to draw Venom, but that's another matter entirely.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Hitch's art is maybe my one big problem with the series. He's the last person whose style matches with what I think of Venom, especially coming off Stegman's work in Cate's run

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JordanKai posted:

I respect what Ewing is doing with Venom even if it's a take on the character I'm not in love with, but I do think it's some of his weakest Marvel work so far. I can't even say it's entirely his fault. I just think the iconography and mythos that Cates and Stegman built up in the preceding run aren't very good and Ewing is straining to spin it all into something interesting.

I'm also not a fan of the shapeless style Hitch uses to draw Venom, but that's another matter entirely.

Ewing trying to makes sense of weird contradictory backstory and mythos that various writers have piled onto a character and pulling it into a new thing is what he does

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Soonmot posted:

Following up Immortal Hulk was going to be an impossible task, but this new run of Hulk is just straight up bad, right? What the gently caress even was this issue?

Yeah this run hasn't been great. I like the art but it probably doesn't help that the most recent issue has Ottely pulling double duty on art and writing (the latter possibly for the first time in his career). I chuckled when the godball was described as unbreakable and repeatedly broken within the same dialogue box.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Early Doctor Strange is very odd :stare: it's weird to have heroes kinda based in reality but then blam you have dreams wizard

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gotta love his magical lobotomies he gives enemies in those early days, too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like Ewing Venom but am less interested in the non-Ewing issues. I want more of the cosmic time horror and less Dylan getting continually punked.

Re: Strange - great, great ending. Did Sentry survive that final explosion? I think this would be a good way to revive him (why yes of course I know I'm the only person alive who likes the Sentry why do you ask?)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I gave up on the new venom run early because I just do not like the way Hitch draws the symbiotes. He’s just not a good fit for that book at all.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I gave Venom a few issues, given I trust Ewing implicitly to write a good story no matter what. But I ended up not being hooked, not helped by just not caring at all about Eddie's kid. May circle back after the series ends and binge it on Unlimited, but I'm good for now.

Which reminds me, I need to read his Loki series. Loved his take on the character in Defenders Beyond, which I understand was a continuation of that.

Regarding Wasp, I also enjoyed the first issue, and am delighted about Nadia being so central to the story. Though I'm a little surprised it's not going for the same retro gimmick that the Ant-Man miniseries used, but that's far from a problem.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i had no real idea of what wasp's origin story was, but that poo poo is wild.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love Janet and Nadia together. Best mother daughter team in all of Marvel.
Unless you count Laura and Gabby, I guess. But they see each other more as sisters.

I always feel sad because Nadia wont have a real chance to show up in the MCU because they rewrote her as Hope (These names even mean the same thing.)
But maybe some quantum bullshit happens and an alternate version of Hope appears in the upcoming movie.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 19, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cant cook creole bream posted:

I always feel sad because Nadia wont have a real chance to show up in the MCU because they rewrote her as Hope (These names even mean the same thing.)

Eh, not really. The movie came out a year before Nadia debuted, and also they're both variations on an earlier Hope Van Dyne character from MC2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dude, congrats

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1616502114183684097?t=TTp8hXBcTV_xM9fIMFLu1g&s=19

site fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 20, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Holy crap and a great lineup too. Was this the top secret book?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
My excitement is through the roof.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
thanks goons
Yeah, this was the last unannounced thing I was working on, it's all out in the open now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

thanks goons
Yeah, this was the last unannounced thing I was working on, it's all out in the open now.

I had a feeling after reading Timeless that's where we were going. But I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to jinx it. I'm super excited for you to be getting this high profile gig and totally excited for me to read it. Congrats dude, you absolutely deserve it!

So, three issues before Bats joins the team right?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

thanks goons

I wish you the best, the run lasts as long as you want, and that you get to do your thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't wait for Felicia to join the avengers

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
When did Avengers become the big book? Bendis?

Regardless big congratulations oh man that's huge and exciting

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow, nice work! We'll do our part by keeping the thread full of great story ideas just in case you ever get writer's block.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Harold Fjord posted:

When did Avengers become the big book? Bendis?

Regardless big congratulations oh man that's huge and exciting

That’s literally what got me into not just Marvel but comics generally, so I’d say yeah. Hickman and Aaron’s runs (messy as Aaron’s has been) really helped too.

Okay I’ve been out of the loop for a while - this is my first time seeing Vision on the Avengers since She-Hulk tore him in half in Disassembled. What’s he been up to? And is Sam Captain America again something that happened recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nilbop posted:

That’s literally what got me into not just Marvel but comics generally, so I’d say yeah. Hickman and Aaron’s runs (messy as Aaron’s has been) really helped too.

Okay I’ve been out of the loop for a while - this is my first time seeing Vision on the Avengers since She-Hulk tore him in half in Disassembled. What’s he been up to? And is Sam Captain America again something that happened recently?

re: Sam.. He and Steve are both Captain America.