Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

I was referring to this post from the show’s creator:

https://twitter.com/hamishsteele/status/1613886933557727232

OH!

I actually missed that part. That is awesome to hear! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

amigolupus posted:

They're 15.

I know. I was taking the piss about that scene, and kind of taking a piss on that scene, because yeah, "ironically" showing naked-except-for-some-strategically-placed-soap-bubbles underage girls is just as lovely and kind of disturbing as doing it unironically.

There's a bit of dialogue from a game called Epic Battle Fantasy 5 which is creepily appropriate to this:

quote:

Lance: How old are you?

Anna: I'm a cartoon. I'm as old as you want me to be.

Lance: That's convenient.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I checked out Mystery Incorporated and it's kinda fun but not quite my thing, I get the sense I'll burn through the charm of the show pretty quickly and just find it boring and repetitive; two episodes in and it's already testing my patience with the kinds of stories it can seemingly tell.

That said, it's pretty great looking, getting some old school Batman vibes off the designs-- particularly Daphne, who seems to have wandered out of Darwyn Cooke's sketchbook. And some of the gags got me, particularly Fred (though I find Scooby annoying as all gently caress, sorry).

But the thing I came here to post about were the colours in the second episode, which are loving wild. Some of the blocking and boarding is just great too, the sequence on the top of the van that's defined mostly by yellow strips of lighting is gorgeous stuff and really fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Source Idiom posted:

it's already testing my patience with the kinds of stories it can seemingly tell.
Oh please tell us about how you think the series will go :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Two things Mystery Incorporated is not are repetitive and predictable.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

forgot this show existed:

https://twitter.com/toonsgowild/status/1614683583150723074

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh apparently Velma's flaws are sooooo bad I didnt notice that there's a certain dog thats missing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. That's like the Iron Man comic panel where he tells Cap Cap needs 'solid dick' but actually real.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Two things Mystery Incorporated is not are repetitive and predictable.

I mean, I'm three episodes in and every story has been some variation on mysterious monsters are causing trouble, but actually it was some member of the guest cast with a ridiculous costume budget all along.

I get that it's an essential part of the Scooby Doo formula, but it's pretty old to watch the exact same climax three episodes in a row. And every time there's a ridiculous Rube Goldberg machine that gets them (which is pleasurable once or twice, but will also get rapidly old I think).

It's clearly going to subvert it at some point -- the opening in the museum makes that very clear -- but the show's predictable in the sense that every episode unfolds in roughly the same way, and at this point very formulaic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lmao

Scooby Doo show follows Scooby Doo rules.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Lmao

Scooby Doo show follows Scooby Doo rules.

I get that it's an essential part of the Scooby Doo formula

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No, I don't think you really do

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I mean, I'm three episodes in and every story has been some variation on mysterious monsters are causing trouble, but actually it was some member of the guest cast with a ridiculous costume budget all along.

I get that it's an essential part of the Scooby Doo formula, but it's pretty old to watch the exact same climax three episodes in a row. And every time there's a ridiculous Rube Goldberg machine that gets them (which is pleasurable once or twice, but will also get rapidly old I think).

It's clearly going to subvert it at some point -- the opening in the museum makes that very clear -- but the show's predictable in the sense that every episode unfolds in roughly the same way, and at this point very formulaic.

even if you think it's formulaic, you should still be able to enjoy it more than the average scooby doo series just based on the improved comedy and writing alone imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh mate, like I'm watching the fourth episode right now and it might just be because I'm 420 -- that's code for "adult who watches children's cartoons" -- but this episode with the man crab is genuinely fun. And I'm enjoying the way the animators are clearly inspired to find weird jokes and put in fun gags and set pieces. There's not lovely 3D vehicles getting in the way of this episode either.

Fred's breakdown is played kinda seriously, that's interesting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Animaniacs Season 3 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=veeybS00v3U

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fred's breakdown is played kinda seriously, that's interesting.

Fred's writing is interesting in Mystery Inc. The writers have confirmed they deliberately wrote him to be slightly on the spectrum, but they did it by just stretching out a few traits from previous depictions and it seems like for that reason (and it never being addressed in-show) most of the audience just ascribed his behaviour to cartoon exaggeration.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fred is totally a trapper savant but I never pinged to his being on the spectrum as the reasons why he's not picking up on what Daphne gives off

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Huh, I was certain that was cancelled. And that season 3 won't be comming. I guess unlike itstuff it was cancelled in a reasonable way, were the rest still appears.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh, I was certain that was cancelled. And that season 3 won't be comming. I guess unlike itstuff it was cancelled in a reasonable way, were the rest still appears.

Oh it’s still cancelled, this is just the last season (which apparently was a surprise to the staff as well)

Sort of makes me wonder if that Tiny Toons reboot is still going to get off the ground at this point or if WB will take an axe to that as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 17, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I thought this was another one of those cartoons where a (mostly) completed season is suddenly put into a vault on an island on an exoplanet for some reason.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I thought this was another one of those cartoons where a (mostly) completed season is suddenly put into a vault on an island on an exoplanet for some reason.

if any show could make it work canonically it's probably animaniacs

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, what's the last anyone's heard about the upcoming seasons of:

* Summer Camp Island (last I heard it planned on airing its final season on cartoon network?)
* that new Superman animated series
* Batman: Caped Crusader
* the new Adventure Time show (I think it was about Fiona And Cake?)
* the third season of Hilda (is that still happening?)

Also what's Craig of the Creek like longterm? I started, but never got very far.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 18, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the first four episodes of My Life As A Teenage Robot. It was the funniest cartoon I'd seen since Amazing World of Gumball. The first episode had a "[scary music] [scarier music] [the scariest music]" closed caption gag. I like what the color palette in these two scenes at sunset and during a fire

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 18, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think Mystery Inc's initially formulaic nature works because of the times that it plays with it, like in season 1 you have the episode with Vincent Van Ghoul which ends with the villain getting a job offer due to his script finally getting picked up for when he gets out of jail, with his line being "This never would have happened if it weren't for you meddling kids, THANKS!" and the episode with a vampire which has the villain unmasking herself because Daphne is about to try to stake her and she's like "JESUS what are you doing you nutcase?!" Also the running gag with the couple from the start of the giant crab episode constantly tempting fate in their episode intros and getting more and more casts and injuries as the season progresses.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BioEnchanted posted:

I think Mystery Inc's initially formulaic nature works because of the times that it plays with it
True. The writing, character work, references, and overall reverence and ability to understand what makes the thing work all come together really well. Contrast with Velma, which apparently decided to start at a place where the characters are neigh unrecognizable and work backwards for some reason maybe.

Complaining about the setup elements is like saying "This Columbo guy always catches the crook wtf!". It's a conceit of the premise.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, it's fine to want a story-focused show with continuity and characters but not be a fan of the Scooby Doo format that Mystery Inc. generally plays to. When people talk about the show, they mainly talk about its overarching plot and its characterisation, so I can imagine assuming sight unseen that it breaks free of the villain of the week stuff more than it actually does. Personally I'm a huge Scooby freakazoid and loved the show a lot but some of the mid-run episodes where they're catching a goblin or whatever totally do drag.

(The art's always gorgeous though. You can see the aesthetics of the show were a labour of love, there's a bunch of stuff that absolutely doesn't need to be there for the scripts to work, but looks stylish and spooky anyway.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At some point in late S1, Mystery Inc does start to drop some of the formula in favor of building up more of the overarching plot and the lore its created.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the Tiny Toons reboot is still happening:

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/tiny-toons-looniversity-2023-cartoon-network-hbo-max/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The picture in the article also is interesting since it shows some returning characters, a couple of which have had redesigns.

Shirley McLoon has had a redesign, Furball isn't naked, Plucky has sleeves.

I actually didn't remember the Tiny Toons version of Tweety, but I did remember Tweety's Himalayan girlfriend Aooga from the Looney Tunes Around the World in 80 Days movie. And I think both might be relevant because the new design has Aooga's hair. Presumably she will be more prominent in the new show.

Kinda weird to have the Tiny Toons Coyote and Roadrunner in there with no new design aspects, since they were very minor in the old show. Also Sneezer is still a baby despite how all the characters are supposed to be older.

No sign of the Foghorn Leghorn character whose main gimmick was swearing.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

The picture in the article also is interesting since it shows some returning characters, a couple of which have had redesigns.

I actually didn't remember the Tiny Toons version of Tweety, but I did remember Tweety's Himalayan girlfriend Aooga from the Looney Tunes Around the World in 80 Days movie. And I think both might be relevant because the new design has Aooga's hair. Presumably she will be more prominent in the new show.

Kinda weird to have the Tiny Toons Coyote and Roadrunner in there with no new design aspects, since they were very minor in the old show. Also Sneezer is still a baby despite how all the characters are supposed to be older.

hmm so how will they handle the more problematic aspects of loonly toons. the little girl has a big issue with consent

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ups_rail posted:

hmm so how will they handle the more problematic aspects of loonly toons. the little girl has a big issue with consent

They can give her Pinky & The Brain again...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What was Tweety’s Tiny Toons counterpart like anyway? I don’t remember seeing many episodes prominently featuring her

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some wiki described her broadly as a toon version of Judy Tanuda.

Sweetie Bird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MikeJF posted:

Fred's writing is interesting in Mystery Inc. The writers have confirmed they deliberately wrote him to be slightly on the spectrum, but they did it by just stretching out a few traits from previous depictions and it seems like for that reason (and it never being addressed in-show) most of the audience just ascribed his behaviour to cartoon exaggeration.

One of the better ways to handle a character like that, draw from what's already there. After all, it's not like people with those traits are new, we just learned to recognise them.

When you're working with an ancient franchise with a zillion entries, it's quite easy to find something as precedent for almost anything you might wanna do.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, like (and I swear I'm not trying to seem addicted to Rise), Rise Donnie's written as canonically autistic but even putting aside that he's always been the team smart guy you can see spectrum-like qualities in 03 and 12's versions, it's really just an extrapolation of his existing traits-ditto ADHD Mikey.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kind of surprising that Elmyra is in fact going to be part of this, hopefully they'll rework her to be less obnoxious than her original version, in particular hopefully they'll have her act her actual age this time around(she's supposed to be about the same vague 12 to 14 that most of the other main cast members in the original show were but for the most part she acted like a 6 year old)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Her bit was that she didn't see the animals as people, so it'd make some kind of sense for her to act more baby-ish while dealing with them, like a lot of people do with their pets.

Although Looney Tunes also has a record of doing a similar bit with a number of cartoons that were referencing Lenny from Of Mice and Men, so it gets uncomfortable to think about it anymore deeply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKxrJQlSMXs

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Foghorn Leghorn got CGI surgery to look like Daniel Craig and now solves mysteries as Beniot Blanc.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I seem to recall someone saying that the issue the writers had with Elmyra was that they couldn't come to a firm conclusion on whether she knows what she's doing (in which case she's too evil to live), or whether she doesn't know what she's doing (in which case she's too dumb to live).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I seem to recall someone saying that the issue the writers had with Elmyra was that they couldn't come to a firm conclusion on whether she knows what she's doing (in which case she's too evil to live), or whether she doesn't know what she's doing (in which case she's too dumb to live).

The network itself seemed weirdly attached to her for some reason though, even forcing her into Pinky & The Brain during the last run of the show (a fact the writers literally mention during the theme song)

Curious if the new show will tone her down at all (I notice they’re also keeping Fifi around despite her Looney Tunes counterpart Pepe basically being retired at this point, but then again I don’t remember the Tiny Toons version being quite as extreme in regards to her affection towards the opposite sex)