Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

We warned you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

From the industry news thread:

Not surprised I guess, tech has taken a beating the last 12 months.

Hope this results in more union efforts tbh!

Where is this belief that the tech industry has taken a beating coming from? It actually hasn't at all, especially not Microsoft. 2022 was their most successful year financially in their entire history.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

Where is this belief that the tech industry has taken a beating coming from? It actually hasn't at all, especially not Microsoft. 2022 was their most successful year financially in their entire history.

I guess it comes more from stock prices/market cap than other numbers. I'm not a finance guy though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/25/techs-reality-check-how-the-industry-lost-7point4-trillion-in-one-year.html

quote:

Not one of the 15 most valuable U.S. tech companies has generated positive returns in 2021. Microsoft has shed roughly $700 billion in market cap. Meta's market cap has contracted by over 70% from its highs, wiping out over $600 billion in value this year.

In total, investors have lost roughly $7.4 trillion, based on the 12-month drop in the Nasdaq.

Interest rate hikes have choked off access to easy capital, and soaring inflation has made all those companies promising future profit a lot less valuable today. Cloud stocks have cratered alongside crypto.

There's plenty of pain to go around. Companies across the industry are cutting costs, freezing new hires, and laying off staff
(I think the 2021 at the beginning of that article means to say 2022?)

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I think they are preparing for a recession. And this is a handy way to push it along.

Ed: probably the stuff above too. What do you mean I don't follow the news?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Profits aren't taking a beating. But employment is. Overall economy had a 13% increase in job cuts in 2022. Tech had a 649% increase.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

I guess it comes more from stock prices/market cap than other numbers. I'm not a finance guy though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/25/techs-reality-check-how-the-industry-lost-7point4-trillion-in-one-year.html

(I think the 2021 at the beginning of that article means to say 2022?)

Yeah the stock market is not a good indicator of a companie's success, since it's much like NFT's in that it's entirely speculative investing. There are still concerns I have about the tech industry right now, but Microsoft is not a company among them since they have actual successful financially sound products and services that exist. The big problem with the tech industry right now is too many companies whose entire existence hinges entirely on speculation investing. They don't actually make any money from customers with the products/services they sell, but they promise to investors that at some arbitrary point in the future they are going to make a massive amount of money. Spotify is a good example of a company doing this. Remains to be seen yet if its going to cause yet another tech bubble crash, but I would bet good money that it will because the whole thing sounds ultra irresponsible and risky.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

webmeister posted:

This except F117A Nighthawk

I want a remake of this so badly.

And Red Baron by Dynamix.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Profits aren't taking a beating. But employment is. Overall economy had a 13% increase in job cuts in 2022. Tech had a 649% increase.

But why though? It seems to be mainly incompetence and greed more than just a company that isn't successful. Almost like there should be laws that prevent companies from just arbitrarily being allowed to upend peoples entire livelihoods (everyone should unionize). Companies laying people off yet showing they are massively successful financially, should be outrageously costly for the company to do.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

But why though? It seems to be mainly incompetence and greed more than just a company that isn't successful. Almost like there should be laws that prevent companies from just arbitrarily being allowed to upend peoples entire livelihoods (everyone should unionize). Companies laying people off yet showing they are massively successful financially, should be outrageously costly for the company to do.

I dunno. You just asked where the belief comes from, and I answered that it's not about the company profit (or stock) but about the people employed (or formerly employed) by the companies. They are the ones taking a beating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I dunno. You just asked where the belief comes from, and I answered that it's not about the company profit (or stock) but about the people employed (or formerly employed) by the companies. They are the ones taking a beating.

Fair. Instead that we should be dragging the executives out of their offices and beating them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My understanding is that it also has to do with the increase in interest rates by the fed. If it becomes costlier to borrow institutional amounts of money, other options like contracting your workforce look a lot more palatable.

This would also be explicitly desired by the fed as a means to slow inflation - people who might be laid off are more likely to save and not spend / companies are less likely to invest in new projects and personnel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capitalism suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Capitalism suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

It's fuckin wild

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

woudln't have the xbox series x without..
sounds like it's win

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Under communism you'd have a separate welfare card that reloads every generation and can only buy Xboxen

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Partly interest rates shooting up, making it more expensive to borrow against the future to pay employees today, partly herd mentality with other layoffs happening (the same herd mentality that caused all the big tech companies to collectively overhire in the first place), and partly the lockdown-era economy disappearing when tech companies had bet on it being permanent. It's pretty much the same story with all these tech layoffs. The only layoffs with a slightly different plot are Twitter and Meta, or companies adjacent to the crypto crash.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Finished the story in Guardians of the Galaxy. The boss fights were a slog, thankfully I put it on Easy mode. This game is severely unoptimized, there were frequent stutters and frame drops to like 3fps during intense action scenes. It's not a bad game, but it's not great either.

Just gotta mop up the rest of the achievements and be done with it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was laid off from a tech company two months ago. Sucked at first but it was an extremely stressful job that did some shady things with contracts to inflate their value for investors. I told my manager several times this isn't sustainable long term and she just shrugged.

Luckily I have a good familial support network. 2nd tech layoff in three years.

Xbox content: haven't been home in two weeks and I miss DMZ.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Beastie posted:

I was laid off from a tech company two months ago. Sucked at first but it was an extremely stressful job that did some shady things with contracts to inflate their value for investors. I told my manager several times this isn't sustainable long term and she just shrugged.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Layoffs are loving bullshit. Start cutting at the top I say.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Beastie posted:

I feel you, in pretty much the same boat. It sucks but at least we have Persona 3-5 now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

I feel like I could almost guess at what company this was, but there are so many of them too.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Managed to finish Chained Echoes right before P3P and P4G come out.

I really loved it overall, will definitely buy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Snyderman posted:

I feel you, in pretty much the same boat. It sucks but at least we have Persona 3-5 now.

Appreciate the sentiments, Xbox Thread. I have Persona 5 on my ps4 but I just couldn't get into. Yakuza is pretty much the only "big in depth role playing game" I can get into

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So, Twitter is freaking out over Atomic Heart. People are saying that buying Atomic Heart is the same as bombing Ukraine because it got some money from an Oligarch company. Then terrible people said they are going to buy it to own the libs. Total cluster gently caress for a Eurojank Bioshock rip off.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Brother you could simply not post.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Lammasu posted:

So, Twitter is freaking out over Atomic Heart. People are saying that buying Atomic Heart is the same as bombing Ukraine because it got some money from an Oligarch company. Then terrible people said they are going to buy it to own the libs. Total cluster gently caress for a Eurojank Bioshock rip off.

Yea?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Atomic fart

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Thank you for your service in flying in out of nowhere to deliver the Rest Of The Internet weather forecast, soldier.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lammasu posted:

I will play both Atomic Heart and STALKER 2 as my way of calling for world peace in these trying times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Excited for Atomic Heart. I want to play it so i'm gonna. Game is on Game Pass anyways.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lammasu posted:

Ok? Who gives a poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[incredibly smart and intelligent goon] I will not eat another bowl of borscht until the war is over

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Play Atomic Heart guilt free through the power of Game Pass

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Twitter will be mad about Persona tomorrow after the mid-2000s gay stereotypes show up in their playthroughs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Atomic.. Fart boom gotem take that putin

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

As soon as I read some dumbass poo poo no one could care about I just know the boys in the Xbox thread have to hear about it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
Idg why MCC collection is over 100GB on Xbox when its 33 on PC

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm sure it won't be my thing but I still want to try out a Persona. Which one should I start with?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Idg why MCC collection is over 100GB on Xbox when its 33 on PC
Its also somewhere around 100 on PC, you might just not have the whole thing installed. You can change what’s installed and what isn’t somewhere in the options menu.

The patches ARE smaller on PC, though, but that’s just due to Steam having nice delta-patching tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lammasu posted:

But Russia isn't Europe so it isn't Eurojank :q: