Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

lenoon posted:

In non D&D news like a year ago I asked some questions ITT about starship troopers, which led to some articles on TG as an industry - there’s a new set out about gorkamorka

Part One
And Part 2

Lurking ITT and thinking about TG as a business got me thinking about these so thanks thread!

“Ayn Rand tripping on fungus beer” is a very good phrase.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

I'm not surprised. We're in questionable leak season and the airing of grievances is in full swing. If I'm a betting man, I'd say the leaks have a kernel of truth to them but are surrounded in too much hearsay and exaggeration to be worth much. There are probably internal frustrations going on that are spilling over here, as well as maybe some lobbied ideas that aren't being committed to. There could also be some good old fashioned lying on both sides because we're solidly in he-said, she-said territory now.

It kind of reminds me of the whole WWE being bought by Saudi Arabia panic. You have conflicting reports from normally reputable sources, bold headlines that end up unravelling after getting examine dmore closely, and a well so poisoned by recent events that these rumors actually sound plausible in the first place.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shorts has actually gone back on his survey thing and deleted the original.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1615855616957857794

I wish he would maybe wait before posting this stuff and making clickbaity videos. (Honestly getting rid of the click bait stuff would help a ton)

This is what I’ve been getting at all along. This idiot is doing more harm than good.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bottom Liner posted:

This is what I’ve been getting at all along. This idiot is doing more harm than good.

Nonsense. It’s forcing wotc to respond and change their intentions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Comstar posted:

If you mean it’s forcing him to walk back everything under threat of legal action then sure.

It’s not like he leaked the OGL draft. He just hopped on the hearsay leak train afterwards with vague anonymous leaks.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 19, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm going to post all the bad things he says as true, because it's pushing my friends to try other systems. I'm pretty sure anything good he says about DND is a lie to save himself from lawyers, and anything true comes from the highest most verified source.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the twitterverse conversation is inevitable, people inside the company saying things based on their own perspective and using their own words will be quoted out of context or misunderstood or insiders may just not have a complete picture, and all of that is inevitable. We, here on SA, can choose to filter out more of the alarmist, must-get-the-scoop, amateur/semi-pro journalism if we want. I'd encourage everyone to be less instantly reactive, less eager to quickly post the next inflammatory tweet, and more willing to hold off and wait for things to unfold. In cases where immediate, direct action is called for - like canceling D&D Beyond subscriptions to send a clear message - it's great that we could get the word out and act immediately. For everything else, though, let's be the welcome refuge from the social media frenzy, not a magnet for it.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Come on now, we all know the stats should be

-Gel Viscosity
-Man Grit
-Majyks
-Pulchritude
-Cache Limit

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ash Rose posted:

Come on now, we all know the stats should be

-Gel Viscosity
-Man Grit
-Majyks
-Pulchritude
-Cache Limit

Stats need to make an acronym.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Yusin posted:

Stats need to make an acronym.

How in the gently caress did I not notice ya'll were doing that I am so incredibly dumb.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pugilism
Underhandedness
Munching
Mystique
Erudition
Likeability

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ash Rose posted:

How in the gently caress did I not notice ya'll were doing that I am so incredibly dumb.

Change Majycks to N-chanting and you've got GM NPC.
Looking forward to playing your system based around funneling players into your laboriously written metaplot where they can watch quietly and politely while the major players fix everything.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Mode 7 posted:

Looking forward to playing your system based around funneling players into your laboriously written metaplot where they can watch quietly and politely while the major players fix everything.

Look forward to my kickstarter, where you can donate 50k to put your very own PC into the lore of the setting.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Comstar posted:

Ah, the joy of motivated leaks (and fauxleaks)!

Were they accurate? Congratulations, you are now reliable and well sourced.

Were they inaccurate? Congratulations, your reporting helped generate the consumer outrage necessary to make them change plans. You're influential, reliable, and well sourced.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That Old Tree posted:

Pugilism
Underhandedness
Munching
Mystique
Erudition
Likeability

How about the stats for a spellcaster system?

Lightning
Inflammable
Granite
Magic
Air

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is just a broader subset of "media literacy" where we're more pliable to believing things based on how we feel about them; "well, it probably wasn't specifically JUST the pizza box video that got Andrew Tate arrested, but Tate is a scumbag of the highest order, and it's 'more fun' to think that his slapfight with Greta Thunberg did him in, so that's my headcanon now"

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I think the twitterverse conversation is inevitable, people inside the company saying things based on their own perspective and using their own words will be quoted out of context or misunderstood or insiders may just not have a complete picture, and all of that is inevitable.

"Stadia is not shutting down!"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is just a broader subset of "media literacy" where we're more pliable to believing things based on how we feel about them; "well, it probably wasn't specifically JUST the pizza box video that got Andrew Tate arrested, but Tate is a scumbag of the highest order, and it's 'more fun' to think that his slapfight with Greta Thunberg did him in, so that's my headcanon now"

Oh, no doubt. The playtest feedback rumors would've just gotten a shrug and an "of course," but proximity to the OGL announcement (and direct comparison of revising it to how playtest feedback is conducted) meant it got people more up in arms than usual. Similarly, the D&D Beyond rumors hit differently in the wake of draconian royalties, asset seizure provisions, and Hasbro comments that D&D is undermonetized, but otherwise would've probably been met with a shrug and some cynicism. poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if some people disbelieve the Beyond team's rumor dispelling because of dishonesty in Wizard's previous answers.

Its funny because on one hand, the rumors being false means some of the outrage is premature and needless. On the other hand, the fact that trust is low enough for those rumors to take root, even after two rounds of responses, is a really, really bad sign for current trust in leadership.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

How about the stats for a spellcaster system?

Lightning
Inflammable
Granite
Magic
Air

I loving hate that Inflammable is both water and fire at the same time.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Wait, Opinion-Having Twitter Beardman was…wrong? :ohdear:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

Wait, Opinion-Having Twitter Beardman was…wrong? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1615873119398379527

not to worry, he's done!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Oh great, another edition ripping off WoW.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

quote:

Hi. I’m Kyle Brink, the Executive Producer on D&D. It’s my team that makes the game we all play.

D&D has been a huge part of my life long before I worked at Wizards and will be for a long time after I’m done.

Kyle's accout on D&D beyond was created specifically to post that message. Because D&D is so much a part of his life he didn't have a work d&d beyond accout despite that also being a huge part of the business.

PST fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 19, 2023

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

PST posted:

Kyle's accout on D&D beyond was created specifically to post that message. Because D&D is so much a part of his life he didn't have a work d&d beyond accout despite that also being a huge part of the business.

That depends. He might have had a private account, and today was the day he needed to make a work one.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

D&D and RPGs have been a huge part of my life in these past 25 years, and I never had a D&D Beyond account.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

YggdrasilTM posted:

D&D and RPGs have been a huge part of my life in these past 25 years, and I never had a D&D Beyond account.

You're not the executive producer of D&D though, are you?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

The Bee posted:

Oh, no doubt. The playtest feedback rumors would've just gotten a shrug and an "of course," but proximity to the OGL announcement (and direct comparison of revising it to how playtest feedback is conducted) meant it got people more up in arms than usual. Similarly, the D&D Beyond rumors hit differently in the wake of draconian royalties, asset seizure provisions, and Hasbro comments that D&D is undermonetized, but otherwise would've probably been met with a shrug and some cynicism. poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if some people disbelieve the Beyond team's rumor dispelling because of dishonesty in Wizard's previous answers.

Its funny because on one hand, the rumors being false means some of the outrage is premature and needless. On the other hand, the fact that trust is low enough for those rumors to take root, even after two rounds of responses, is a really, really bad sign for current trust in leadership.

I don’t want to swing this far the other direction to say that the outrage was premature and needless. Regardless of rage bait YouTubers doing some self promotion wizards definitely has some weird issues with how they collect feedback from UA because you can definitely point to things that they change because of feedback for sure but here is straight from an employee representing the company on twitter today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MakenzieLaneDA/status/1615895436988153859?cxt=HHwWhoDUvdWV6OwsAAAA

So I am going to apply all the charitably I can and say this is 100% true they read all the feedback. This is really damning then because that means they flat out ignored all the feedback for the UA for spell jammers and multiple community threads about hadozee's Glide ability that got errata the week the book hit the shelves. Like that’s not even just the racism that’s the problem it’s mechanics too. So it’s not like that big of a leap to think they may have break downs in the process somewhere or that book specifically was a mess and rushed for some reason.

They are now on the record again saying they read all the comments which is weird and no one even expects them to.

Vire fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TG as an Industry: that’s not even the racism that’s the problem

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"our concerns went unaddressed because they didn't even read the feedback / the feedback forms were structured in such a way that we couldn't properly express our concerns"

"WOTC actually does read all the feedback, every last word of it, and our concerns still went unaddressed"

tough call between which of these is worse

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Subjunctive posted:

TG as an Industry: that’s not even the racism that’s the problem

Yeah re read that and it came out completely wrong the racism is the problem first and foremost edited for clarity. Sorry it’s late. I meant it to read it’s not only the racism but also the mechanics apologies.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PST posted:

You're not the executive producer of D&D though, are you?

What I mean is that you can totally be invested in D&D and not having a D&D beyond private account. And since D&D beyond was not even a Hasbro product until May 2022, why should he have a work account for it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but doing that says something, if you're in charge of a product, and you don't even care to use it for work related reasons, it shows that you don't believe in the product. This is just bad optics. It'd be like if the president of a grocery store chain never attended a single store opening. I certainly wouldn't shop there if senior management can't even put in the effort for a photo op. So why should I use D&D Beyond if the head of D&D himself doesn't have an account?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but doing that says something, if you're in charge of a product, and you don't even care to use it for work related reasons,
But what these "work related reasons" should be? for what is worth maybe he always uses a personal account to do stuff and only now he needed to do a public post. Who cares.

quote:

it shows that you don't believe in the product. This is just bad optics. It'd be like if the president of a grocery store chain never attended a single store opening. I certainly wouldn't shop there if senior management can't even put in the effort for a photo op. So why should I use D&D Beyond if the head of D&D himself doesn't have an account?

I choose grocery stores based on the best price quality ratio and proximity to my home and workplace, who the gently caress cares if the president of the store chain never attends.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 19, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think that it's bad because I want Wizards to fail.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's like when none of America's auto executives drove to beg for a bailout. Which, of course they didn't drive because this isn't the 1920s, but it was still leverage against them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Vire posted:

I don’t want to swing this far the other direction to say that the outrage was premature and needless. Regardless of rage bait YouTubers doing some self promotion wizards definitely has some weird issues with how they collect feedback from UA because you can definitely point to things that they change because of feedback for sure but here is straight from an employee representing the company on twitter today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MakenzieLaneDA/status/1615895436988153859?cxt=HHwWhoDUvdWV6OwsAAAA

So I am going to apply all the charitably I can and say this is 100% true they read all the feedback. This is really damning then because that means they flat out ignored all the feedback for the UA for spell jammers and multiple community threads about hadozee's Glide ability that got errata the week the book hit the shelves. Like that’s not even just the racism that’s the problem it’s mechanics too. So it’s not like that big of a leap to think they may have break downs in the process somewhere or that book specifically was a mess and rushed for some reason.

They are now on the record again saying they read all the comments which is weird and no one even expects them to.

And that's why I say some. Because, yeah, if they really spend weeks poring over shittons of feedback, that's both weird and kind of an indictment of how effectively their processes actually work. They could've just left it at "we hear your feedback", but this takes the little white lie behind the realities of the business and overinflates it to a breaking point.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

But what these "work related reasons" should be?
I feel like "engaging with the community on D&D Beyond" and "Make important announcements through that platform" would be fairly obvious work-related reasons.

Really, for me I don't care whether this person uses a private alt account to do actual gaming, that's fine. I even don't mind if they minted a new work account for the first time they needed to perform either of those functions on Beyond.

The question to me is "How long were they in this role before they decided to perform one of those functions in the first place?" It feels like if you are the executive director of D&D during an intensive playtesting process which unfolds in part on Beyond, you should have been making some announcements on Beyond on a work account before now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think it was Mirthless that said it earlier.

Difference between people on the ground doing the work, who do legitimately tend to care, and know what they are doing and what's going on.

And People who end up making decisions. Who have a great vision that cannot be dare questioned.

I so many times, have I written emails saying something to the effect of "this is a problem, people aren't gonna like this change to X functionality in this application" or whatever. "Hey guys, I'm seeing people not liking X and bringing up this problem"

And then nothing is done, for any number of reasons above my paygrade, and then like 3 months later, a C level complains about X or it becomes a larger problem and instantly I am asked to gather potential fixes and go down the route of addressing it.

Edit: Lmao at an executive ever directly engaging with the rabble unless they absolutely have to.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Warthur posted:

I feel like "engaging with the community on D&D Beyond" and "Make important announcements through that platform" would be fairly obvious work-related reasons.

Really, for me I don't care whether this person uses a private alt account to do actual gaming, that's fine. I even don't mind if they minted a new work account for the first time they needed to perform either of those functions on Beyond.

The question to me is "How long were they in this role before they decided to perform one of those functions in the first place?" It feels like if you are the executive director of D&D during an intensive playtesting process which unfolds in part on Beyond, you should have been making some announcements on Beyond on a work account before now.
Again, Beyond was not their product until May. How many announcement did he personally make in these past 8 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like he could have literally been the dude writing the poo poo responses before, where people said they wanted a name and a face to tie the statement too, other than D&D Beyond Staff or whatever it was under.

Companies generally love just using "brand" accounts to communicate rather than opening up individual people to it, unless those people choose to jump in.