Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

I don't know if I'm ready for the end of Winter in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Eh, who cares about that lot. They're not worth talking about.

seriously why even bother posting those pictures. just move on

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rooting for the mushrooms here.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

roomtone posted:

i appreciated how they stuck to the game music mostly. was expecting them to think they were above it.

Game music was done by the guy that did Brokeback Mountain. If you can get a film composer to reprise his stuff for your show, you generally do it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Imagine denying a two time Oscar winning composers score.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The Last of Us - Spoiler Thread - Unfortunately, after my first devastating criticism was deleted by metacritc

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I liked the first episode and I think TLOU1 is fairly straightforward to adapt.

I don't know how the show executes TLOU2 effectively. I think you just go for it and make season 2 all about Abby with it ending as her killing Joel. I don't know if audiences will go for it. Whatever they choose, it will end up in some kind of wreckage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I could see two ways; either season 2 is basically just the second game up until the theater confrontation, so Joel’s death, Ellie’s initial mission of revenge, the travel to the theater, telling Dinah she’s immune, finding out Dinah’s pregnant, etc, ending with Abby shockingly killing that Asian dude and the entirety of a theoretical season three being Abby’s side with some sort of coda to illustrate what Ellie then does after she hides away with Dinah and the kid at the cabin, or some sort of split season structure with two pov protagonists of doing Ellie-Abby-Ellie-Abby throughout to show what each person is doing in parallel with the other. Either way, Part II is far too long to adapt as one season of stories, so the first is more faithful to exactly how the game actually does it and has a really powerful season finale in that sudden attack and confrontation at the theater ending in that Asian dude’s death, but suffers because it would basically be “and now for an entire season of not Ellie”. The latter makes the show more balanced and probably is an easier story to tell on top of one that allows for events to not be as confusing to the audience and doesn’t require them to remember plot points from a year ago, but doesn’t have as clean or as effective of a “season ending moment” as The Gunshot and also has the potential problem of having way too many plots and characters going at once, since what Ellie and Abby are doing are pretty unrelated to each other until they confront each other.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Even in Ellie’s town in TLOU2 it’s not really peaceful. Every day there are patrols to clean up the infested that wonder too close to town.

On the other hand they're not hanging people in public or burning corpses in the street.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
they've also got steak sandwiches

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Bigot sandwiches

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Boris Galerkin posted:

seriously why even bother posting those pictures. just move on

Because they are very very funny

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mega Comrade posted:

Because they are very very funny

No they aren’t.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find user reviews by dumb people funny fwiw

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Boris Galerkin posted:

No they aren’t.

Well I spoilered them to make it easy for people to scroll past if not interested. Stop trying to dictate what people can and cannot discuss.

L-O-N posted:

CHUDs will be CHUDs. I'm just amazed that even with the review bombing, it's still at 96% on rotten tomatoes.

tbf there are a lot of "10/10 best show ever made" which is silly based on one episode, although they may just be people intentionally trying to neuter the review bombing. RT audience scores have always been worthless.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 19, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Those reviews are hilarious and I appreciate them being shared. I mean, they’re also horrifying, but in a funny kinda way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Alhazred posted:

On the other hand they're not hanging people in public or burning corpses in the street.

That we know of. Most of the infected are slowed/dormant in cold weather, so a lot less bites/infected are happening.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just make season 2 have 16 episodes. Easy peasy. There's no law that says an HBO show has to be 8-10 episodes per season only

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blue squares posted:

Just make season 2 have 16 episodes. Easy peasy. There's no law that says an HBO show has to be 8-10 episodes per season only

If you want to half the budget of each episode, sure.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I'd be happier if the show was inspired by the game. I can't be the only person who didn't have any sense of suspense watching the first episode because it's basically a live action version of the cinematics in the game.

I guess that's the problem in a way, the game has such a good story that if they deviate from it then it has to be at least as good as what we should've got instead. But - at least for some of us - if they just replicate the cinematics then it'll be tough to immerse myself in it.

Ehh it was an enjoyable watch regardless.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

veni veni veni posted:

The racist guys are to be expected in Tyool 2023, but the "Ellie not cute enough" people are uhhh. there's literally only one conclusion I can draw from an adult man being mad about that.

Those guys are absolutely telling on themselves with their, "wtf this 14 year old character is supposed to be hot and sexy for me, a grown man, to enjoy!"

It's very icky.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Discussion of Ellie in TLoU 1 was a hell of a thing back when the first game came out. I remember the original LP of the game here on SA actually led to several bans just based off the directions some posters took the discussion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Remember when the first trailers released and the main thing people talked about was that Ellie looked a bit like Elliot Page? Simpler times.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Discussion of Ellie in TLoU 1 was a hell of a thing back when the first game came out. I remember the original LP of the game here on SA actually led to several bans just based off the directions some posters took the discussion.

Why? Why were people being so weird about Ellie?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The banned poster I still remember was the one who went into an in depth discussion of how to breed Ellie to spread the immunity through the human population. I poo poo you not, if you dig up the LP from the archives he starts talking about it around the point the LP reaches the game's end.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Durzel posted:

I'd be happier if the show was inspired by the game. I can't be the only person who didn't have any sense of suspense watching the first episode because it's basically a live action version of the cinematics in the game.

I guess that's the problem in a way, the game has such a good story that if they deviate from it then it has to be at least as good as what we should've got instead. But - at least for some of us - if they just replicate the cinematics then it'll be tough to immerse myself in it.

Ehh it was an enjoyable watch regardless.

I said this earlier. Hopefully, as the show continues, we get some deviations so that people that played the games get more surprises that are more than the level of "the car didn't hit them, the plane crash made them flip."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The banned poster I still remember was the one who went into an in depth discussion of how to breed Ellie to spread the immunity through the human population. I poo poo you not, if you dig up the LP from the archives he starts talking about it around the point the LP reaches the game's end.

what in actual ever loving gently caress.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ew, 'delightful' how some folks minds work.

Been watching someone's first time LP of Part II and she just hit the mid-way flip and her reaction was hilariously indignant, she was livid over Jesse and determined to get Abby killed as much as possible, etc. Then she starts warming up as Best Girl Alice shows up (and the horrific realisation it was her at the aquarium), and by the end of Day 1, she's pretty much on board, empathising with and digging Abby's wrecking ball approach, meeting Yara and Lev, and the Darryl-esque crossbow fun, while still dissing Abby's boring collection hobby compared to Ellie's cooler nerdery.

All of which is to say sure, I think the very first episode with the switch will be a issue for the eventual TV audience but if they can just get past that initial reaction, it'll probably be fine.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Darko posted:

I said this earlier. Hopefully, as the show continues, we get some deviations so that people that played the games get more surprises that are more than the level of "the car didn't hit them, the plane crash made them flip."
Ah yes you did. I didn't even realise there were two threads on the show, whoops :)

I was anticipating the show being like Chernobyl - to no great surprise - in so much as the main event and major aspects of it (e.g. firefighters, roof clearing, etc) are widely known, but everything in between is new material, inspired and crafted by the showrunners. Sarah dying is like that show's meltdown, but I was actually a bit bummed to see that the rest of it was pretty much one-to-one live action for the game cinematics.

Fortunately it's so long ago that I played the OG game that I think most of what will likely follow will feel mostly new anyway.

I also hope they don't go anywhere near the second game lol. I can't imagine myself watching past the nadir of that one.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 19, 2023

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I think it's very weird to want Ellie to be 'hot' or 'cute', but there's no denying Bella Ramsey is sorta odd lookin. Both of my pre-teen daughters commented on it, which I thought was a bit funny considering the discourse. She's definitely not standard 'hollywood' looks, which, let's be frank: good.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I feel like she can probably pull off attitude and vulnerability pretty well. I'm quietly confident this will be a pretty seismic role for her, career wise.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

She's definitely got the voice down.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
She's got a great scowl

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Bella Ramsey is fine she nails Ellie's mannerisms and swearing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
don't really have a problem with bella ellie. she's killing that. or pedro as joel. or anna torv as tess.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Is there a more shocking while still completely not shocking reaction better than 13 year old girl isn’t attractive enough

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The other thread is speculating that tainted flour is what spread the fungus around and it seems plausible with the stuff they mention, like how they didn’t eat pancakes or cookies and whatnot. But if you think about it a bit more it kinda falls apart in my mind.

First there’s the obvious fact that cookies and bread are baked at high enough temperatures that no spores are going to survive that.

But wait you say the spores could have just contaminated the flour and it would spread the moment the bags of flour were opened. Well, if it spread around so easily then wouldn’t the entire world be infected and dead already? If it was so easily spread via airborne particles.

Second, aren’t most flours used by most people, at least in America, bleached or something?

And lastly, how long did is the turnaround time from wheat plants into boxes of prepackaged pancake mix? Am I wrong to think it sits around in various forms for weeks if not months?

Anyway this doesn’t bother me or anything because the show is about zombies but I feel like people are taking the “bread crumb” comment too literally re: the origin of the fungus.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently there was a clip from an upcoming episode released during an interview today that lays out the flour thing.

e: It was reported by Eurogamer but the article seems to have disappeared so maybe it was either not true or released prematurely.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 19, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Second, aren’t most flours used by most people, at least in America, bleached or something?

Bleaching flour doesn't decontaminate it, it's for whitening and softening its texture. There was an e coli scare a few years back that led to a bunch of flour getting recalled. That was when I learned that raw flour of any kind is as risky to eat as raw egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

or anna torv as tess.

holy poo poo i knew i recongized her!