Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Do people waive their rights to sue when they buy a Tesla or use the autopilot feature? How does Tesla not get sued into the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

thin blue whine posted:

Do people waive their rights to sue when they buy a Tesla or use the autopilot feature? How does Tesla not get sued into the ground?

If you talk about suing your Tesla slams into a wall the next chance it gets.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
like 10 years ago I kinda bought into the idea that self-driving tech would probably happen and it seemed plausible that it might get good enough that it had fewer accidents than human drivers and so insurance companies would see that and start pushing for it to be standard.

now I wonder when we're going to start seeing insurance companies coming out and saying "if you have a car with FSD we're raising your rates through the roof"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Entropic posted:

like 10 years ago I kinda bought into the idea that self-driving tech would probably happen and it seemed plausible that it might get good enough that it had fewer accidents than human drivers and so insurance companies would see that and start pushing for it to be standard.

now I wonder when we're going to start seeing insurance companies coming out and saying "if you have a car with FSD we're raising your rates through the roof"

If that happens Musk is gonna try and sue them on the grounds that... I dunno, something really dumb

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Entropic posted:

Teslas total super easily and few body shops wanna mess with them and parts are a nightmare to get and they are all super expensive and for a lot of important poo poo you can't use used parts and there is zero aftermarket parts so I don't think insurance companies are thrilled to insure them.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Steadiman posted:

Also lol at crying about being invisible with 376K views, what's that tell you catturd2?

That's just how many times they've refreshed the page looking to see if anyone cares about what they said

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
It's actually really great they just randomly broke 3rd party API integration without telling anyone, every time I reflexively click on a Twitter link now it just doesn't load on my mobile client, nice of them to wean me off reading dumb bullshit.

The dipshit spends 44B buying a social media company while fundamentally not understanding the social media business model is about letting everybody freely inside, and then selling all their data to advertisers. He thinks it's about gatekeeping his way to profitability like this is still the early 2000s.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Preoptopus posted:

Teslas total super easily and few body shops wanna mess with them and parts are a nightmare to get and they are all super expensive and for a lot of important poo poo you can't use used parts and there is zero aftermarket parts so I don't think insurance companies are thrilled to insure them.

Tesla, Automotive Apple.

It just doesn't works.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Preoptopus posted:

They get dogshit vehicle codes, but the people who buy Teslas don't care because they mostly like to piss their money away anyway.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol musk would probably be a great star trek villain

the dude that kidnaped data?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thin blue whine posted:

I was legitimately wondering this today too. Like I'm imagining essentially a DLC purchase that takes a second to do but maybe there's a wall of text people scroll through without reading before checking 'I Accept'? If so I would be interested to see how it's worded. If not then lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

I was legitimately wondering this today too. Like I'm imagining essentially a DLC purchase that takes a second to do but maybe there's a wall of text people scroll through without reading before checking 'I Accept'? If so I would be interested to see how it's worded. If not then lol

I thought you had to sign an NDA or something, though I admit that is hearsay and could very well be an urban myth.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

so the first few season of start trek tng are just rough and few episodes are clearly hold overs from the 1970's era of scifi. Like that really really racist episode, you know know the one I m talking about.

you could be referring to any of a bunch of episodes, like maybe you're thinking of the one where they pick up a bunch of irish people from a dying colony, the first thing they do is create a still on the ship, and by the end Picard is screaming "get these damned drunken irish and their whore women out of here"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thin blue whine posted:

From what I recall in most places you can't actually waive you rights to sue in most cases, and those waivers are utterly unenforceable.

Entropic posted:

Honestly with just how much it would save trucking and taxi companies, and how normal car companies are probably going to keep making incremental improvements to stuff like self parking and what not, I can imagine we might get there in 20 years or so. Maybe 15 for easier routes where tucks travel a lot like major highway.

Just think there is to much money in it for the taxi and long haul trucking companies just to give up on it just because it sucks this decade. Having their vehicles going 24/7 and no driver to pay? Would be a dream for them.

Although if Tesla does start getting inundated with lawsuits over it's current "self driving" stuff, I could see everyone cooling it with that for quite a while.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Cable Guy posted:

Can someone post a link to one of those sites that breaks through paywalls please...? I keep meaning to bookmark it and that article looks to have some good schadenfreude...

I use a plugin called breakthrough paywalls clean but the site you are thinking of is probably archive.is.

example archive.is/www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/magazine/tesla-autopilot-self-driving-elon-musk.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ups_rail posted:

the dude that kidnaped data?

No I think he's the Twitter/Tesla guy

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

you could be referring to any of a bunch of episodes, like maybe you're thinking of the one where they pick up a bunch of irish people from a dying colony, the first thing they do is create a still on the ship, and by the end Picard is screaming "get these damned drunken irish and their whore women out of here"

I assumed he meant the one where they land on a planet of African stereotypes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Renreeja posted:

tesla probably autolocks its doors in poor neighborhoods

Against the eula, immediately cancels warranty

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Denim Dude posted:

I use a plugin called breakthrough paywalls clean but the site you are thinking of is probably archive.is.

example archive.is/www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/magazine/tesla-autopilot-self-driving-elon-musk.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes
Thanks

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
acab, but the cop that pulled me over tonight was nothing if not professional. he even agreed with my point that "dog mode" is worded ambiguously.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I use Bypass Paywalls Clean on Firefox, there's a version for Chrome too I think?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

which is weird given picard is french.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

On Musk’s first full day in charge, October 28, the executive assistants sent Twitter engineers a Slack message at the behest of the Goons: The boss wanted to see their code. Employees were instructed to “print out 50 pages of code you’ve done in the last 30 days” and get ready to show it to Musk in person. Panicked engineers started hunting around the office for printers. Many of the devices weren’t functional, having sat unused for two years during the pandemic. Eventually, a group of executive assistants offered to print some engineers’ code for them if they would send the file as a PDF.

Within a couple of hours, the Goons’ assistants sent out a new missive to the team: “UPDATE: Stop printing,” it read. “Please be ready to show your recent code (within last 30-60 preferably) on your computer. If you have already printed, please shred in the bins on SF-Tenth. Thank you!”

Alicia was scheduled to meet with Musk around 11 a.m. She felt bad about the anxiety coursing through the office, even if she was sanguine about the process. As a back-end engineer, she was used to being woken up in the middle of the night because something on the platform was breaking — a crisis that could impact millions of Twitter users. It took more than a code review to faze her.

She had printed out a few lines of Python rather than her actual code repository. (“Python is more at Musk’s level,” she says.) The mandate had felt like a stunt, and she’d doubted he would really engage: “I’m not gonna explain the project I’ve spent ten years working on in a fraction of an hour competing with ten other people — I’m just not.”

She never had to. The meeting was pushed back, then canceled. “We didn’t actually get to show our code to Elon,” she says, laughing. “Which is a shame. I was very much looking forward to it.”

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/ChannelNewsAsia/status/1616023579656867840

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Scorchy posted:

It's actually really great they just randomly broke 3rd party API integration without telling anyone, every time I reflexively click on a Twitter link now it just doesn't load on my mobile client, nice of them to wean me off reading dumb bullshit.

The dipshit spends 44B buying a social media company while fundamentally not understanding the social media business model is about letting everybody freely inside, and then selling all their data to advertisers. He thinks it's about gatekeeping his way to profitability like this is still the early 2000s.
It wasn't random..

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1615405842735714304
Twitter just enforcing its long standing rules that these third party apps have presumably been abiding by for 10+ years without issue, until now.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Love those two new checkmarks.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if I should suck Elon’s dick to make Twitter work again. Even if it didn’t work he’d probably feel better about it, he’s always so angry and maybe I could make his eyebrows go the other way. :thunkin:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
this crack rock will change the entire social media paradigm *pop!* *sizzle*

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

It took 3 months for Google to fix the route to my house so it didn’t direct you to the neighborhood behind me and instruct you to walk across the neighbor’s yard. How could a company like Tesla possibly handle local issues that are way more complex than redrawing a line?

I'm curious about this. How does their FSD work in countries where they drive on the left, or travelling across say Europe with a change in road markings and traffic signs every time it crosses a border?

There's a large series of connected roundabouts near me where 8 or 9 roads combine, plus 4 on/off ramps for a motorway. It's probably around 40 to 50 lanes of traffic combined. I can only imagine how badly a Tesla would screw up on it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I'm curious about this. How does their FSD work in countries where they drive on the left, or travelling across say Europe with a change in road markings and traffic signs every time it crosses a border?

I believe there is actually at least one border crossings where between countries the roads change side of the road that's driven on. Even people find that one confusing as hell.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

"no way this could have been avoided" says only country where this happens regularly

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I am doubtful Trump still has that posting magic. His stint at Truth probably ruined him.

It'd funny if he came back just to yell and degrade Elon all the time though. Many such cases.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I hope Trump just posts a link to his truth social post about Elon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thundercracker posted:

I am doubtful Trump still has that posting magic. His stint at Truth probably ruined him.

It'd funny if he came back just to yell and degrade Elon all the time though. Many such cases.

Also if -and this is a big if- Musk actually gets the character limit upped to 4000 before trump gets back, he's 100% just going on long rants up to the limit for all his posts that will then get just as ignored as everything he's poo poo out on Truth.

Twitters character limit was perfect for him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Platonicsolid posted:

I cannot fathom how they haven't been prosecuted yet. Distributing a dangerous, incomplete product to the public with full knowledge it can kill people. It's like leaving loaded guns around.

But this is America, I guess billionaires can kill people when they want.

Platonicsolid posted:

It's like leaving loaded guns around.

Platonicsolid posted:

But this is America, I guess

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Renreeja posted:

tesla probably autolocks its doors in poor neighborhoods

Tesla: *stops*
*unlocks and opens doors, windows
*broadcasts racial slurs like the Harlem scene in Die Hard With A Vengeance*

Zil posted:

If you talk about suing your Tesla slams into a wall the next chance it gets.

also if you praise your tesla

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 19, 2023

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Durzel posted:

It wasn't random..

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1615405842735714304
Twitter just enforcing its long standing rules that these third party apps have presumably been abiding by for 10+ years without issue, until now.

It's either arbitrary enforcement as decreed by his royal whineness, Lonnie, or they got so many 3rd party API complaints and requests they just packed up the department and told all the complainers, "Fly away, nerd!" but in a less cool way.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

3rd party clients have always been in a weird place because yeah, they don't show ads and Twitter obviously doesn't like that, but the API doesn't serve ads so the clients can't show them even if they wanted to

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I deleted Talon from my phone yesterday. It's a real good way to force people off your dying social media platform I guess, lol. Tweetdeck still seems to be functional surprisingly; considering it's owned by Twitter now I am waiting for them to just kill it and redirect to twitter.com one of these days.

Really sucks for the devs who have been working on those apps forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

When turning Twitter into short-form stormfront isn't enough to get goons to stop scrolling it all day, try disabling the API calls