Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've been playing since the beginning of early access and the vast majority of those features were added long after it was clear it wasn't a mobile game. They probably just had a checklist of things they thought were cool and added them without much thought about how they fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the "mobile game" conspiracy strikes the thread once again. gamers will readily believe any decision made in any video game is cause of mobile.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 11, 2022

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Sandweed posted:

The game started out as a mobile game, lot's of those systems are from that era.

It was never planned to be a mobile game at all. You can find the IndieDB page on it when it was conceptualized as a completely different game and you can see it wasn't a mobile game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

the "mobile game" conspiracy strikes the thread once again. gamers will readily believe any decision made in any video game is cause of mobile.

We can't blame console releases for game stages being barren closets anymore.

I do recall that Troubleshooter was meant to be a primarily ONLINE game though, but very early early access feedback told Dandy that fans wanted a more story driven piece. It is why they eventually worked and delivered on a MP mode that has been played by a total of twelve people.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah like what is there is remnants of MMO style design way more than mobile, ie violent cases are straight up just raids in a srpg (which is one of the things i think still really works well). last time this came up it was like the food system someone pointed towards to as being an "energy" mechanic for mobile but nah just another example of that MMO stuff, lots of games have food buff systems like that.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 11, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's in the description!

E: I'm trying to think of any rpg mechanics that aren't included and realized there isn't any way to slot gem upgrades into weapons. Big oof, can't believe they missed that one

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 11, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's in the description!

E: I'm trying to think of any rpg mechanics that aren't included and realized there isn't any way to slot gem upgrades into weapons. Big oof, can't believe they missed that one

There's always season 2.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

New mission came out today

These monkeys are dodgy as gently caress and hit pretty hard too

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finally picked up Crimson Crow from the Steam sale (as well as the costume pack). Just started the missions and I 'm a fan of Misty already. She's cute, and I like her dynamic with Rion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wow, they gave everyone two extra mastery slots. I guess it was getting silly that we kept getting more points from levels but had nothing to spend them on because all our slots were full.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Apparently the monkeys have human classes and can equip all those junk weapons that never had a home before.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Yeah, the gunner ones can use pistols, the marauder can use axes, the rogue ones can use daggers, the fighter ones clubs, etc.

So if you've got some 5 star legendaries of any of those lying around, now's their time to shine!

Based on my limited testing of the two legendary Mungos so far, they're...okay? They can use the most different masteries of any 'character' in the game.
For example, Black Mask can use Common, Spirit, Mungo, Beast, Thief, and Rogue masteries! Makes laying out a solid all-around board very interesting.
Should be intriguing for brewing up...who knows what!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Replaying the campaign before the dlc and drat, I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end machines are at the start. The party doesn't really have enough slots/TP for machine killer, so it's basically a one-man show of Sion dealing punch-through damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...I never even thought of equipping Machine Killer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh hey, the knife monkey drops a legendary dagger that causes bleed on crits, theoretically making bleeds viable for Misty outside of a Call of Water build.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

There isn't any trick to getting legendaries other than getting the killing blow with the character that has all the item drop masteries equipped right? I've been farming Gyro for what seems like ages and this motherfucker refuses to drop a Necromancer bangle.

I have so, so many night scopes though I tell you what.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Misty has a rogue mastery set that gives her +500% drop rate on legendaries, so get the kill with her, I guess.

I believe higher difficulties also have higher drop rates? Not sure.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I love this loving game.

EDIT: Caught up on campaign missions. Guess I need to go back and try to farm Abandoned Supply Base and Iron Forest Secret Base? Destrons hosed me up bad last time I tried them so this is going to be rough.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 26, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

I love this loving game.

EDIT: Caught up on campaign missions. Guess I need to go back and try to farm Abandoned Supply Base and Iron Forest Secret Base? Destrons hosed me up bad last time I tried them so this is going to be rough.

Kylie's hacking really helps if you pull them slowly, and if you're willing to put in the work the Gold Negoori can one shot them with the right build.

Clarste posted:

Misty has a rogue mastery set that gives her +500% drop rate on legendaries, so get the kill with her, I guess.

I believe higher difficulties also have higher drop rates? Not sure.

Oh dang, whoch set/masteries do I need?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Can anyone give me tips, or a step by step guide, or anything on how to complete Misty's intro mission? I have no earthly idea how it's possible given Misty's kit, or the game engine itself.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Use the hide skill and you can just walk around.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hipster Occultist posted:

Kylie's hacking really helps if you pull them slowly, and if you're willing to put in the work the Gold Negoori can one shot them with the right build.

Yeah, Kylie is MVP on this current run. Even with just a 36% chance, she keeps on shutting them down, allowing Leyton and Irene burst them down.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh dang, whoch set/masteries do I need?

It's called Vicious Robber and contains Greedy Hand, Greedy Eye, Slice and Dice, and Legerdemain. Basically it just makes Greedy Eye - which normally only applies to gems - work on all drops. Greedy Eye comes from dragons I think, the rest are Rogue masteries.

NachtSieger posted:

Can anyone give me tips, or a step by step guide, or anything on how to complete Misty's intro mission? I have no earthly idea how it's possible given Misty's kit, or the game engine itself.

Hide and avoid combat. You can pickpocket the keycard from the boss by walking up to him without attacking, allowing you to safely walk away without being detected. Which is the effect of a mastery set she starts with.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 27, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Anyone got a good Misty bleed build? All of the builds I can find on the discord are all pre the existence of the orange dagger that Black Mask drops in the newest mission.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I experimented with it a little, but the overall damage was still kind of underwhelming imo. Or maybe that's just because I was fighting monkeys who have a weird dodge gimmick that dealing water damage handily circumvents.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
what exactly are you supposed to do with the golden drakis? I hatched them but they were non-hostile so I couldn't even kill them to get them in the troublemaker list. Is it possible for them to end up in a recruitable egg form? Is there an easy to use friendly fire method I'm forgetting that could be used to at least fill that blank spot in the list? It bothers me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, Kylie is MVP on this current run. Even with just a 36% chance, she keeps on shutting them down, allowing Leyton and Irene burst them down.

Oh man, Kylie. I couldn't do poo poo with her at the start but I went all in on every hacker and scholar mastery and she now has godly block and hit. Base attack isn't great, but she gets overcharge after just 2 or 3 kills/protocols and it annihilates everything on my monitor, even violent bosses. Hacking robos is wonderful too, that and the drone divert basically all attacks. Still finishing off the first DLC though, so maybe she'll drop off later.

Her drone is kinda poo poo at combat but it survived 2 rounds of skull gang fire support and still took a hit or two from the bosses which is more than I can say for the rest of the party.

In general it's been kinda neat how every npc gets their turn to shine as they progress through the mastery board and new enemy types are introduced. Giselle is currently the star of the show as she reliably kills everything without impulse fields in one turn and gets three turns for every other party member so long as there's something to kill or proc fire support.

Previous star was Albus great swordsman for alpha striking hard targets but now he's struggling to get enough block shred to kill tanky mobs. Need to take another look at his masteries, he should probably be able to do that especially with his passive shred and 100% damage boost from bleed.

Currently sucking: Sion as I neglected gearing for speed so his AT delay doesn't let him go ham very often. Also Leton, kinda? I'm bad at positioning him in spots where he can tank and responsive attack all the dudes. Alisa is also a little too squishy.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Has anyone ever run out of Leton's anti-freeze juice in a mission?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I could see if you were running, say, an Ice attacking Superstar Leton, you might get close? If he's oneshot onekilling everything on the map and getting essentially infinite AP, but in general it's something you rarely have to worry about, to the point where most of the time I forget it's a thing until I highlight him and go 'oh yeah, anti-freezing fluid, that's kind of neat narrative/gameplay integration thing.'

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

PunkBoy posted:

Have you heard the good word of EMP Grenades?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Have you heard the good word of EMP Grenades?

Dandylion sure did, and subsequently made the stronger Destrons immune to them iirc.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dandylion sure did, and subsequently made the stronger Destrons immune to them iirc.

Only the Enhanced one is as far as I'm aware.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Huh, I might be misremembering but I thought all three in Ben's violent case were immune.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Previous star was Albus great swordsman for alpha striking hard targets but now he's struggling to get enough block shred to kill tanky mobs. Need to take another look at his masteries, he should probably be able to do that especially with his passive shred and 100% damage boost from bleed.

Currently sucking: Sion as I neglected gearing for speed so his AT delay doesn't let him go ham very often. Also Leton, kinda? I'm bad at positioning him in spots where he can tank and responsive attack all the dudes. Alisa is also a little too squishy.

For Albus you should take a look at Traces of Blood + Bloodbath + Blade Phantom. I never bothered with Castle Gate Breakthrough or similar abilities, because blade phantom + breakthrough takes care of blocking enemies already.

For Sion: improving magic + great wizard staff + magical acceleration = 95% cast time reduction. I.e. Lightnight storm (the SP aoe thingy) has a cast delay of 3. Together with quick grasp of the situation, one shot one kill, and (improved) magic stamp, he can get quite a lot of actions in.

Leton is pretty much invulnerable if you can get Frosty Fortress (requires ice castle mastery though), and then acrobat+great snow plains means he gets to act quite a lot when tanking attacks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Blade Phantom

I had to look this up and apparently I've been really unlucky with mastery drops for Enough Rest. Might take a trip back to 46v to get it, that set would synergize really well with the rest of Albus' kit. Would be nice to get him more consistent.

Sion's already got all those. Maybe I should just throw on a ton of +move gear so he doesn't get left in the dust? Ray+Giselle+Heixing tend to delete everything before it gets in range of his attacks and the rest of the team has aggressive mobility skills. Speaking of which, I just realized today that I already gave Leton 0 AP tumble so I think his mobility issue is solved.

E: yes, Sion's speed is on par with the team after some new kit but his move is 2 less :downs:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Not having Enough Rest is indeed unlucky! I just checked and I have it active on 5 of the 12 characters: Albus (Life drain + second wind), Heixing (Life drain), Leton (Life drain + Freezing-Resistant Side Effect), Giselle (Beast Friend), Misty (Life Drain). Which was less than I thought, because also Irene (Magic Conversion + Magic Relief) and Alisa (Life drain) had it at some point I believe.

In the meantime I also checked which other masteries I have a lot of times. I assume my top 2 is probably going to be the same for most people Veteran and Body Training.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have alternate veteran boards for melee characters but I only use them on maps that are really stun heavy. If my dudes can't survive one turn stunned, it's because they don't have enough teammates nearby with low AT. Getting overextended is death anyways. Plus it leaves an extra slot for mutant :getin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

In the meantime I also checked which other masteries I have a lot of times. I assume my top 2 is probably going to be the same for most people Veteran and Body Training.

Just realized that my most common mastery (apart from from 1s1k and catharsis) is recharge. On demand infinite vigor or overcharge attack has been clutch for getting the front-line out of trouble or deleting an inconvenient boss.

Also I just finished the violent crab mission. This was not easy because I repeatedly wasted Kylie and Giselle's detection abilities when there weren't actually any crabs nearby, and I had neglected to use my tanky mastery boards for everybody except Leton.

Thankfully my forestallment/counterstrike/self-healing lava tima annihilated half the crabs solo. I literally just parked him halfway across the map and took the group in the opposite direction. JFC, pets are slow but ridiculously powerful.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 19, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Beating everyone as Albus is extremely funny

I’m a little disappointed that there’s no unique dialogue, but at least there’s a unique reward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I took a very, very, very, very long break in playing this game and I forgot a lot of things, so I started over and am slowly remembering everything. But here are two things I can't remember and I'm sure you all can help with:

1) When discovering mastery sets, when you have something that's unknown but hinted at, it just corresponds to the color of the category, right? e.g. if it's green it's basic, red it's attack, etc. And if it says "it is one of the masteries that you can research" that doesn't necessarily mean you can currently research it, just that it's in your discovery list, right? Like if it's something that you know the ingredients for but one of the ingredients is something you can't make. This is my understanding, but I just want to make sure.

2) I'm in the middle of chapter 3, just finished scenario #4 "Stop and Look Back," when do I get Heixing? I have a ton of gun masteries and I've been using mulching them but I have a few that look cool and I don't remember how long I should be saving them.