Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EVERYONE. MUST GET. MARRIED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 24-26, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (July 29-31, 1920)

Dok's "I SAID NO ROWDYISM!" Duck (July 18, 1914)

All our favorites showed up tonight.

And meanwhile, over in crowd control...

(Dok Hager's "Weather" cartoon for the 18th)

Little Lefty (November 25-27, 1937)

They call the new kid Tex, but we might as well call him Hangman, seeing as how he's here to do cowboy poo poo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whew, got a little behind on this thread, but caught up now.

So does Gil Thorp coach both basketball and football? That seems weird to me, but maybe my high school had one coach for multiple sports and I just never knew it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Whew, got a little behind on this thread, but caught up now.

So does Gil Thorp coach both basketball and football? That seems weird to me, but maybe my high school had one coach for multiple sports and I just never knew it.

The impression I've gotten is that Coach Thorp coaches all the boy sports and Mrs. Coach Thorp coaches all the girl sports. Presumably Coach Kaz coached some sports too, but he recently changed jobs. I feel like he was just an assistant coach or something, but I'm not sure about that.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 1, 1954)

Mood.

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 22-23, 1992)

Big Nate

Anybody interested in the new (school) Peanuts collection by artists that aren't Schultz? It's closer to a graphic novel than a strip but I think it counts. I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it's quality but either way I think it would be interesting to see how it compares to the classic (and 70s) stuff.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 19, 2023

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Looking forward to the kids getting shittier and shittier as mom struggles to get past an ever growing conga line of medical emergencies.

June's gonna get home and it will be full-on Lord of the Flies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Mike waxes nostalgic, or Campbell tries and fails at censorship, or Pastor Younger gets rudely interrupted

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hempuli posted:

The first two were way too comprehensible so let's have a third one:

Tanko = (metal) bar
Tangot = (metal) bars
Tangot (or is it tangat?) = skimpy underwear, not sure exactly what kind or where the name comes from but think strings or such

In Dutch, thong underwear was first referred to as "tanga" before g-string or string underwear became the more common turn. No idea either what language it originates from, though. Brazil, perhaps?

I wonder if Sisqo knows.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Oh, Jesus. I didn't understand yesterday's comic at all until this one. Has Maggie's sister been seen before? Good thing there's a perfectly eager replacement around, Planck!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 15, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Well, that's one of the less harmful outcomes. Will probably resolve itself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My kid did that with a coke can tab. He liked to pull them off and drop them in the can. We assume it eventually came out. Got a bit worried since there could be sharp spots on them, even called the ER about it, but they said it should come out on it's own.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

drat Lynn how did all your children survive to adulthood. "No you can't have it pumpkin, you might swallow it, go play with your giant toddler toys instead," isn't some mystical passage from the Book of Coming Forth By Day, you could save yourself some trouble.

My husband and I were talking last night about how a lot of the stories that the boomers wrote/were raised on involve child neglect. There's this Dutch series called Jip en Janneke from the 60s or something that has lately been under scrutiny for being sort of sexist, but apparently a lot of the stories are 1. kids aren't being supervised, 2. kids get into mischief, and 3. kids get into trouble. Boomers like to bitch that kids watch too much TV these days but drat my kid has never swallowed a button or threw all his dad's tools on the lawn for a laugh either.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 08, 1955)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Oh, Jesus. I didn't understand yesterday's comic at all until this one. Has Maggie's sister been seen before? Good thing there's a perfectly eager replacement around, Planck!

She had lines in the train scene when they were kids and also the dinner scene where Copper didnt show up. Since I knew she would be important, I had to make a point of giving her a name, and it matches Maggie's (they have a themed name in Korean) but didn't realize until the last update that "May" without context doesn't really sound like a name. The second part of your comment made me realize that a lot of the plot of Demons of Baseball can be theorized in terms of Lacanian psychology. But I probably shouldn't explain what I mean by that, because spoilers, and also because I'd be really surprised if the author ever thought of it in those terms.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 08, 1955)

Val, your wife is inside the city you are going to burn.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Green Intern posted:

She is also their Queen and directing their defence.

This is such a great comic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/18/03

Brenda Starr 3/27-29/50

Smokey Stover 6/8/52

Everyday Movies 1/6/36

"It's exasperating! Every time I have a good argument, you get a headache and ask me not to talk."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/5-7/40

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

I believe that the intent of the torches is to harry & confuse the horses. At least, until Aleta is safe.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/5-7/40

Okay, so Invisible Scarlet O'Neil can see herself normally when she's invisible, but can't see herself in a mirror. Does she ever encounter other invisible characters, and can she see them?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

drat Lynn how did all your children survive to adulthood. "No you can't have it pumpkin, you might swallow it, go play with your giant toddler toys instead," isn't some mystical passage from the Book of Coming Forth By Day, you could save yourself some trouble.

My husband and I were talking last night about how a lot of the stories that the boomers wrote/were raised on involve child neglect. There's this Dutch series called Jip en Janneke from the 60s or something that has lately been under scrutiny for being sort of sexist, but apparently a lot of the stories are 1. kids aren't being supervised, 2. kids get into mischief, and 3. kids get into trouble. Boomers like to bitch that kids watch too much TV these days but drat my kid has never swallowed a button or threw all his dad's tools on the lawn for a laugh either.

I left my twin boys alone for 5 minutes to get firewood and when I got back they had gotten a lighter and started a fire in our bedroom. My fault I left the lighter where a kid can reach it through clever use of chair and other stuff to climb.

One time I was working in the yard and the neighbor stopped in his car and told me he'd seen my kids on their bikes a mile away without any adults. I swear they where just there in the yard 5 minutes ago.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ah yes..."Fattening Pills"

(Thank goodness they dissolve in liquid.)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Everyone's pointing out the goofy writing of Invisible Scarlet O'Niel, but the art is also really fun. I went back and read what's been posted, and just look at this dude in the last panel.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Everyone's pointing out the goofy writing of Invisible Scarlet O'Niel, but the art is also really fun. I went back and read what's been posted, and just look at this dude in the last panel.

I actually believe that the characters in this comic have bones.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

maltesh posted:

Okay, so Invisible Scarlet O'Neil can see herself normally when she's invisible, but can't see herself in a mirror. Does she ever encounter other invisible characters, and can she see them?

No idea. But this is the Golden Age, after all -- expecting any sort of logic or consistency in how powers work is probably a fool's errand.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

In Dutch, thong underwear was first referred to as "tanga" before g-string or string underwear became the more common turn. No idea either what language it originates from, though. Brazil, perhaps?

Ooh! That's really interesting, thanks. Definitely assumed it was Finnish slang.

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

"Seiväshyppääjä ylitti itsensä" = "Pole vaulter surpassed himself"/"Pole vaulter did exceptionally well"
"Seiväshyppääjä ylitti itsensä" = "Pole vaulter went over himself"
It kinda works in English too? Kinda?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

davidspackage posted:

Wiktionary says it's from Angolan Kimbundu language meaning loincloth.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tanga also existed in swedish and meant what thong means now

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

When I was a baby, I'm told I somehow managed to swallow a Band-Aid. My mom freaked out but someone - a pediatrician, I guess - told her that I'd be fine and that she'd see the Band-Aid again. Sure enough, she did and I turned out fine*.

That said, I was watched a whole lot more closely than April seems to be...

* As 'fine' as someone who ended up on SA, I suppose.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

davidspackage posted:

If they keep up with this whole thing trying to pin the blame on Maggie for not waiting, not hearing a single goddamn word from him for 2 whole years, when HE'S the one who said he'd be back in a few months... :argh: Either keep your promised schedule or accept the consequences!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When I was a baby, I'm told I somehow managed to swallow a Band-Aid. My mom freaked out but someone - a pediatrician, I guess - told her that I'd be fine and that she'd see the Band-Aid again. Sure enough, she did and I turned out fine*.

That said, I was watched a whole lot more closely than April seems to be...

* As 'fine' as someone who ended up on SA, I suppose.

Lynn knew she had the button though, she was fine with her toddler capering around the house with a goddamned choking hazard for a toy!

And my mom watched me like a hawk and I still post here. Goons are nature not nurture.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If they keep up with this whole thing trying to pin the blame on Maggie for not waiting, not hearing a single goddamn word from him for 2 whole years, when HE'S the one who said he'd be back in a few months... :argh: Either keep your promised schedule or accept the consequences!

She was expecting him to write constantly. He didn't write at all. He straight ghosted everybody for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Planck was kinda held captive in chains for two years in Baseball Death Camp. He didn't get much of a chance to write letters, let alone to hand them to the Death Camp Post Office.