Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I used to get those in kinder eggs as a child. They're not just for Elamite kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe he doesn't say it outright, but I feel like the unstated idea here is that he's trying to compare roughly similar sized landmasses. The parts of Eurasia that are conducive to densely populated civilizations are roughly four times greater than those of North America. And more people in absolute numbers means more chances to come up with ideas that will boost the entire landmass, resulting in more chances for new concepts and an eventual snowballing of advantages compared to less populated regions.

Aside from that, I feel like you could expand the east-west advantage in another way: An east-west oriented continent will have more regular monsoons in its eastern parts, which could encourage huge population densities and rapidly developing societies, as seen in India and China, as well as in Egypt through the flooding of the Nile.

didnt eurasian societies also have a massive time advantage? that always seemed like the most likely explanation. the euros had like 2000-3000 years on us. give the aztecs another 2000 years and surely they would all be shooting back at you with lasers and poo poo

babypolis has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Jan 19, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gotta go fast

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

babypolis posted:

didnt eurasian societies also have a massive time advantage? that always seemed like the most likely explanation. the euros had like 2000-3000 years on us. give the aztecs another 2000 years and surely they would all be shooting back at you with lasers and poo poo
What does time advantage mean here? Relative to what?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does time advantage mean here? Relative to what?

relative to american civilizations. they had more time to develop technologically

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Develop technologically from what though?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Africa had like a 100k years on the rest of the world.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

fermun posted:

the oldest dateable runestone was discovered about a year ago and stuff about it is being published, here's a couple of the researchers with some twitter threads

edit: it's from 1-250CE

This is incredibly cool.
Do want to see the detail of those radiocarbon dates, presumably single sample AMS dates with a nice tight cluster if they are being so confident. Bulk sample radiometric dates make my eye twitch.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The name it says the rune stone might be saying could possibly be one that's still used in Iceland.

https://twitter.com/KroonenGuus/status/1615626104919949312

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Start of agriculture? I think rye, wheat and barley were domesticated about 1000-3000 years before maize.

Though if you're being super strict about believing in that timeline, then the Aztecs should have been in their late bronze age or early iron age. But there's not really any evidence of them using alloys, just pure metal like copper, silver, and gold.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Speleothing posted:

Start of agriculture? I think rye, wheat and barley were domesticated about 1000-3000 years before maize.

Though if you're being super strict about believing in that timeline, then the Aztecs should have been in their late bronze age or early iron age. But there's not really any evidence of them using alloys, just pure metal like copper, silver, and gold.

water mills seem like a decent leap forward too

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

fermun posted:

the oldest dateable runestone was discovered about a year ago and stuff about it is being published, here's a couple of the researchers with some twitter threads
https://twitter.com/Kristel_Zilmer/status/1615272724926009346
https://twitter.com/Kristel_Zilmer/status/1615462182606540800
https://twitter.com/KristerVasshus/status/1615236531689607169

edit: it's from 1-250CE

usually I don't give a poo poo when you developed writing if at all but I hate Norse fans so much that I've got to LOL that all their oldest poo poo is from the CE

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

water mills seem like a decent leap forward too

One the one hand it's clear that technology can drive big changes in society, but on the other more advanced tech doesn't consistently result in dominance and expansion (China on balance is probably the most advanced region on the planet over last few millennia, but only now emerging as a global power)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

War and Pieces posted:

usually I don't give a poo poo when you developed writing if at all but I hate Norse fans so much that I've got to LOL that all their oldest poo poo is from the CE

I didn’t want to say this but I was thinking it when I came across the date range

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ma i married a tuna posted:

One the one hand it's clear that technology can drive big changes in society, but on the other more advanced tech doesn't consistently result in dominance and expansion (China on balance is probably the most advanced region on the planet over last few millennia, but only now emerging as a global power)

we gotta replace great man theory with great idea theory

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Speleothing posted:

:ever expanding facepalm full of other facepalms:

There is absolutely not a fixed universal timeline of stages of technological development that all human cultures adhere to. There is no "should have been".

The labels "bronze age", "iron age", "chalcolithic" etc. etc. refer to the highest level of technology in use not how far along some fixed developmental schedule any given culture is. This is archaeology 101. The European Bronze Age starts at different times depending on where you are looking at and a lot of places (most even) skipped the Chalcolithic stage completely as far as we can tell.
Even within these labels there is no guarantee that the highest level tech is being used at any particular site. I've worked on numerous "Early Bronze Age" sites in NE Scotland and we found no bronze on any of them. Plenty of worked stone though. Hell there is at least one "Pre-Neolithic Stone Age" culture still in existence - the Sentinelese. Gunflints can be and were made using nothing beyond stone age technology.

Agriculture does not inevitably lead to metal use. Why would it? Crops don't require metal tools to grow, harvest or process.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. That was also my point. That there's no strict timeline because if there was then the Aztecs would have been using iron exactly 1500-2000 years after Europeans were.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

I mean, the gap between what Norse fans believe about the pre-Christian Norse and what historians specializing in Norse history believe about the pre-Christian Norse is just so vast that its hard to really connect the facts to their fandom.

Like yeah most modern people display some comical ignorance about pre-Islamic Egypt (Old Kingdom pharoahs, you sure about that buddy?), but at least the gods that most of us can name in pop culture - Osiris, Isis, etc. - appear to actually have been important gods. When was the last time you heard a death metal song about Ullr?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tulip posted:

I mean, the gap between what Norse fans believe about the pre-Christian Norse and what historians specializing in Norse history believe about the pre-Christian Norse is just so vast that its hard to really connect the facts to their fandom.

Like yeah most modern people display some comical ignorance about pre-Islamic Egypt (Old Kingdom pharoahs, you sure about that buddy?), but at least the gods that most of us can name in pop culture - Osiris, Isis, etc. - appear to actually have been important gods. When was the last time you heard a death metal song about Ullr?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LekZ1ErAY-w

This one is folk metal but it includes the lines about Ullr from the edda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlDhm5wm2xY

WoodrowSkillson has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

War and Pieces posted:

I went to a cool museum in Sweden where they had loads of Scandinavian stuff and it's like a stone with a crude letter on it, then in the next room from the same time they have a delicate gold filligred quran with a lock.

They also had a running commentary on the vikings by I think ahmad ibn fadlan who was touring scandinavia at the time and constantly disgusted by them

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its ok he came around when they had to fight the death eaters

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Speleothing posted:

Yes. That was also my point. That there's no strict timeline because if there was then the Aztecs would have been using iron exactly 1500-2000 years after Europeans were.

Sorry, I misread you.
It's a misunderstanding of how archaeology uses these labels (that are purely designed for convenience in talking about the past and necessarily lack nuance) that I have run into far, far too often so it's a bit of a bugbear.

War and Pieces posted:

Oldest evidence for literacy poo poo, not necessarily oldest cultural poo poo... ;)
Literacy is over rated, most humans who have ever lived did fine without it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EmptyVessel posted:

Literacy is over rated, most humans who have ever lived did fine without it.

yeah I say the same thing about germ theory

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

The LOL is that white people are obsessed with literacy but they were illiterate bumkins for over half of written history.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WoodrowSkillson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LekZ1ErAY-w

This one is folk metal but it includes the lines about Ullr from the edda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlDhm5wm2xY

lol hell yeah

War and Pieces posted:

The LOL is that white people are obsessed with literacy but they were illiterate bumkins for over half of written history.

you say that like we're literate now

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

We had to overcome Yakub's programming.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tulip posted:

lol hell yeah

you say that like we're literate now

gently caress you, doughboy, I can read. see that shoe? it says "Adidas"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

War and Pieces posted:

everyone in the past was actually white and with a british accent

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Tulip posted:

tell me more about historical works on pre christian norsemen? I thought that the popular germanic gods mostly mapped 1-1 to most hindu gods which makes sense given that they were both descended from PIE cultures.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what was the extent of PIE culture in like 2500bc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

language isolates are way cooler than PIE. wtf is basque

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

indigi posted:

what was the extent of PIE culture in like 2500bc

Dunno, derivatives got far and wide. Variants of a culture that started off smoking weed in the Sea of Grass above the black sea.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

All the cool PIE guys went to Iran and India they only sent their losers west

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What about the weird rear end PIE people who hung out in the tarim basin? Lol that for much of human history, the spot between China and India was filled with a mass of people who would in our present day be defined as White.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

tell me more about historical works on pre christian norsemen? I thought that the popular germanic gods mostly mapped 1-1 to most hindu gods which makes sense given that they were both descended from PIE cultures.

this guy mostly approaches Norse stuff from a linguistic perspective, but he's been very helpful for me.

He's also got some translations of the norse stuff we have; the poetic edda and the saga of the volsungs and all that.

I dont have the expertise to actually critique what he says, but he's pretty good at justifying himself as far as i can tell:

https://www.youtube.com/@JacksonCrawford

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

What about the weird rear end PIE people who hung out in the tarim basin? Lol that for much of human history, the spot between China and India was filled with a mass of people who would in our present day be defined as White.

This has always been one of the most interesting to me because they got there super early in the Indo-European expansion but didn't leave anyone between them and basically the actual homeland (assuming the Pontic Steppe is the homeland). Super long distance migrations like that, or the more documented migration of the Alans from the loving Caucasus all the way to North Africa, are fascinating to me.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

big scandal in England about the government supporting PIE people in the 1970s and 80s but that is too recent to go into much detail here

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bedpan posted:

big scandal in England about the government supporting PIE people in the 1970s and 80s but that is too recent to go into much detail here

Gross

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

I went to a cool museum in Sweden where they had loads of Scandinavian stuff and it's like a stone with a crude letter on it, then in the next room from the same time they have a delicate gold filligred quran with a lock.

They also had a running commentary on the vikings by I think ahmad ibn fadlan who was touring scandinavia at the time and constantly disgusted by them

Ibn Fadlan met vikings/rus/scandinavian slave traders in the Volga and he gives a very high amount of details of cultural practices. And while he praise their appearance he is truly disgusted by their hygiene. His remarks regarding their hygiene standards might be because those are very unfitting for a muslim and he was basically an emissary sent to teach the Volga Bulgars how to be proper muslims. His apparent mission is probably also a reason as to why he gives such observant accounts of the cultural practices, because it was part of his mission to take note of these things in order to teach the people to be more compatible with islam. He gives many gruesome details about how the vikings organize their slave girl market, including how prospecting clients can "sample" the stock and how they themselves rape their slaves. But he also gives accounts of how they treat each other and how the funeral of an important leader occurs with ritual human sacrifices and a burning ship etc.

Ancient Scandinavian and early germanic history is fascinating in their own ways but the region were always a fringe area during ancient times, comparatively sparsely populated and quite far away from the sources of the bronze age economy. The people there were well integrated into the bronze and iron age economies however. This meant that when the bronze age collapse happened there was big consequences there too; as can be seen on the contemporary Tollensee battle where army sizes comparable to those used in the Levant was used. An other example is that there is a certain type of late bronze age sword that has basically only been found Mycenae and southern Scandinavia. Which suggests that the habit of going south to raid and pillage might not be a very novel invention by the vikings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they need to make a better 13th Warrior