Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
McCartney is such a songwriting machine I would be surprised if he wasn't constantly making up silly tunes when bored that many aspiring songwriters would kill for. And a lot of stinkers too but he does, volume, man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

there is that old dana carvey snl skit (the choppin brocoli song) that always seemed obviously about mccartney and his simple brain song writing. maybe the joke was always obvious but my google skills fail me. cant seem to find anyone else who sees the link

edit
sorry to post snl i know the thread hates it. but the old stuff can be good imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUrbtUwsRXo

hartman and weaver sell it so well

drat that's a deep memory for me, i don't think i could have told you i had ever heard that before but once it started i immediately recognized it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

there is that old dana carvey snl skit (the choppin brocoli song) that always seemed obviously about mccartney and his simple brain song writing. maybe the joke was always obvious but my google skills fail me. cant seem to find anyone else who sees the link

edit

Solid sketch there

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hartman was the loving king.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Stink Billyums posted:

dana used that bit in his standup act and there it was explicitly about paul mccartney
At the very least, there's no way he wasn't riffing on "Wonderful Christmastime" at one point in that sketch.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:stare:

He has the mind of a child!

Jack Black as Paul McCartney in Walk hard posted:

I'm sick of you being so dark when I'm so impish and whimsical! I'm sick of it!

priznat posted:

McCartney is such a songwriting machine I would be surprised if he wasn't constantly making up silly tunes when bored that many aspiring songwriters would kill for. And a lot of stinkers too but he does, volume, man!
It's kind of wild to learn what a perfectionist he was in recording "Maxwell's Silver Hammer."

Personally, I know that in my own writing, my stupidest ideas tend to be the most fun.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Somehow I never listened to Temporary Secretary before, and lol it’s like the first bad Animal Collective song.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

I feel like yall are trolling about McCartney. He's one of the greatest songwriters ever, whether or not you like Temporary Secretary. But place it in some context: an ex Beatle who had done psychedelics, writing some of his first couple solo albums while smoking copious amounts of weed. The song has kind of an early meme feel to it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/-ahtp0sjA5U

I would watch the whole movie if this was the whole commentary track lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You know who I always appreciate showing up in a movie?

Kurt Fuller.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you have to admit, independently conceiving the concept of a temp and finding it so funny and quirky you write a song about it is pretty great

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

MarcusSA posted:

never noticed before, when he's speaking as billy bob thornton's character he suddenly drops into a slingblade impression

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Kurt Fuller.

:yeah:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

I feel like yall are trolling about McCartney. He's one of the greatest songwriters ever, whether or not you like Temporary Secretary. But place it in some context: an ex Beatle who had done psychedelics, writing some of his first couple solo albums while smoking copious amounts of weed. The song has kind of an early meme feel to it.

No I agree he is definitely one of the top songwriters. It’s just funny to think about his possible off the cuff throwaway songs and how some of them were probably pretty good but we’ll never hear them because it’s such a bounty of riches from that guy.

That Peter Jackson found footage thing was fascinating just seeing his process and behind the scenes stuff and I’m not a massive Beatles fan or anything but props given they were just such a force.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

That DICK! posted:

you have to admit, independently conceiving the concept of a temp and finding it so funny and quirky you write a song about it is pretty great

Right, it's just silly experimentation that may get some hooks or melodies stuck in your head.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

priznat posted:

No I agree he is definitely one of the top songwriters. It’s just funny to think about his possible off the cuff throwaway songs and how some of them were probably pretty good but we’ll never hear them because it’s such a bounty of riches from that guy.

That Peter Jackson found footage thing was fascinating just seeing his process and behind the scenes stuff and I’m not a massive Beatles fan or anything but props given they were just such a force.

I like Beatles, they're not my favorite but I'll put on Breakfast with The Beatles on the weekend.

What I never really grasped up til watching that found footage movie was they did so much in so little time. Like, even as a grown up I didn't realize they accomplished all these sounds in like 7 years?

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Beastie posted:

I like Beatles, they're not my favorite but I'll put on Breakfast with The Beatles on the weekend.

What I never really grasped up til watching that found footage movie was they did so much in so little time. Like, even as a grown up I didn't realize they accomplished all these sounds in like 7 years?

Kinda but the Hamburg years predated their studio output.

From google: "Between August 1960 and December 1962, the Beatles played over 250 nights in the seedy seaport city, and venues often demanded they play four or five hours a night."

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i like the beatles quite a bit and enjoy the novelty of temporary secretary. its better than many of his tunes especially the solo stuff and wings. im just shocked at the sound. the singing literally doesnt sound like him (hes putting on an accent or playing a part or whatever). also he has written some dumbass childish lyrics but honestly i like a lot of those too

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 19, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
found a role of a lifetime:

Though not all these roles have lines, they are not just scenery. Each will have significant camera time and one-on-one interaction with Jesus, so talent is required.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

is paul mccartney in mandalorian season 3? perhaps episode ten?!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sunk Dunk posted:

found a role of a lifetime:

Though not all these roles have lines, they are not just scenery. Each will have significant camera time and one-on-one interaction with Jesus, so talent is required.

Mary Magdalene/Jeezo sex scene found

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

hemale in pain posted:

poppers make your buttthole loose so you sniff them before anal is why your gay friends bought them lol

You know what else makes a butthole loose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXzDiE38gEE&t=22s

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Last of Us premiere was bulletproof. also helps that I can easily imagine what a Netflix or Amazon version would have been. that Chernobyl guy might be a case of actual talent!

I'm just glad the gunshots were very boomy and heavy because my single criticism of Chernobyl was them firing Mosins that sounded and looked like they were firing .22s, including shooting one in a small room multiple times argh

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

the last of us show is weird to me cause people are saying it's good, but I have to imagine a lot of those people also think the game was good so hard to say if its actually good or not

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

arsenicCatnip posted:

the last of us show is weird to me cause people are saying it's good, but I have to imagine a lot of those people also think the game was good so hard to say if its actually good or not

absurd

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

All this talk of Paul McCartney and nobody mentions the greatest post-Beatles songwriter???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D98quoAcWnI

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That DICK! posted:

It’s some kind of sex thing, right? We’re talking Paul McCartney here, there’s some kind of weird joke here

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ringo was the ground wire of the Beatles. Not the most important or impressive part, but they'd be so much worse without him.

Paul was the guy who was effortlessly good at everything, and John was the guy who hated guys like that because he desperately wanted to be that. And George was off in the corner reading or something. It was an awesome dynamic.

edit

Posting Phil Hartman can never be wrong.

poisonpill posted:

It’s some kind of sex thing, right? We’re talking Paul McCartney here, there’s some kind of weird joke here

It's not necessarily in this song but I still feel like he must have some kink about women in uniform, it's come up more than once

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Kurt Fuller.

Hell yeah, Kurt Fuller ftw

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sir Lemming posted:

Ringo was the ground wire of the Beatles. Not the most important or impressive part, but they'd be so much worse without him.

Paul was the guy who was effortlessly good at everything, and John was the guy who hated guys like that because he desperately wanted to be that. And George was off in the corner reading brooding or something. It was an awesome dynamic.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

kalel posted:

has anything in the history of entertainment ever been confirmed to have been made "deliberately bad"

like even Harrison Ford's performance in the blade runner narration is just a rumor. Harrison Ford has specifically debunked it

Matrix 4. its literally a plot point, in the movie itself.

Kurt Fuller.

he singlehandedly makes No Holds Barred a timeless classic

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Youtube recommended me a video the other day that I can't find now. It was a short video of still frames showing the rlm fellas as characters in an italian horror movie. It was pretty neat.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sir Lemming posted:

Paul was the guy who was effortlessly good at everything, and John was the guy who hated guys like that because he desperately wanted to be that. And George was off in the corner reading or something. It was an awesome dynamic.

It's amazing just how much that Peter Jackson documentary managed to vindicate Ringo Starr. Dude was a laughing stock, with jokes about having lucked into the best gig in history, or how "Ringo isn't the best drummer in the world. He isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles". Then everyone watched those hours of footage and realized that Ringo was the one who kept the entire group from devolving into cannibalism.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

arsenicCatnip posted:

The game is good though.

What it’s not is amazing or the GOAT or life changing or whatever else bullshit people spout about it.

The story is interesting enough and the gameplay is ok.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

oh gently caress that sent me back to loving 1998, "I DONT WANNA CLOSE MY EYEEES!!"

and ben having an animal cracker bounce on a girls stomach to down under.....

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

The game is good though.

What it’s not is amazing or the GOAT or life changing or whatever else bullshit people spout about it.

The story is interesting enough and the gameplay is ok.

TLOU2 is one of the few games where I actually gave a poo poo about the story in a game. I'm the guy who just mashes the buttons to skip through dialogue in games but that was the exception. The gameplay is what you want it to be. Yeah if you play it on the easier settings the gameplay is just meh because you can just brute force your way through most things. If you play it on the harder difficulties the gameplay becomes way more interesting because you're forced to use all your tools and abilities to make it through the game.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tv based off video games is about equivalent to ones based off comic books.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'm not watching any bullshit this year 2023. no more super hero crap. too many good films from the past.

hell yes this is my sentiment too. so many i havent seen. so far ive watched 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and Little Shop or Horrors and they were real good. watching old movies to rekindle my love of film basically

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I watched Little Shop of Horrors recently too and it just reminded me why musicals are awful but the giant mouth prop for the dentists scene was cool

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

spending 2023 catching up on all the old italian horror movies i never bothered watching because i thought they would be some cheap trash

i mean they are, but theyre still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"it's movie time"