Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Slotducks posted:

It's fun seeing the same techniques used to circumvent salary caps in 2022 that were used by hockey teams in like 2006. Nothing like giving a 32 year old player a 14 year contract to circumvent the cap.

I’ve seen the baseball analogy a lot but the hockey example makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

10 years ago Newcastle’s hierarchy freaked the gently caress out about getting relegated again and signed every French player they could find. Simpler times

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Sissoko was the only one who actually worked out, right

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

Debuchy was good for them and they doubled their money.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
plus clair de lune was a banger

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Bea Nanner posted:

plus clair de lune was a banger

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

How quickly we forget about club legend Yohan Kebab

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1614979563984920577

:thunk:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Context is difficult

He was talking about how it would affect the Premier League and Champions League squads we've submitted for this season and how our existing squad is big not small

We have several players out of contract in the summer

c0burn fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 17, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sticksy posted:

Debuchy was good as mentioned, Gouffran stuck around forever and despite barely scoring was a bit of a cult hero

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gouffran got signed off the back of a season where he played as a striker instead of a winger and got a bunch of goals. He played as a striker once and scored iirc and was mostly a poo poo winger the rest of the time because he was fast, strong but couldn't cross or pass but could finish

I bumped into him at a newsagents while hungover getting breakfast once while he was on his way to training

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently Man U have signed Wout Weghorst on loan

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Great value haaland

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Great value haaland

Only one of those players has scored at a World Cup.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

That's why he's great value!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cost like £10m less than Joao Felix and he isn't even suspended yet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

newcastle apparently want mctominey lol. not entirely sure why considering we need someone better than sean longstaff to replace sean longstaff

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

newcastle apparently want mctominey lol. not entirely sure why considering we need someone better than sean longstaff to replace sean longstaff

You can have him but only if you pay more than the £40m United were going to stupidly spend on Longstaff a few seasons ago.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

vyelkin posted:

w00t

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Can’t wait for the Wout vs Martinez rematch

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shrapnig posted:

Weghorst scored twice as many World Cup goals as the guy he’s replacing!

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
There's a bunch of gossip about Kevin Mbabu being in talks with Man Utd. Much like Weghorst it's bang in the zone of rumours that are too weird to invent, so let's all assume it gets confirmed tomorrow.

He's... fine? I guess?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wazzerphuk posted:

There's a bunch of gossip about Kevin Mbabu being in talks with Man Utd. Much like Weghorst it's bang in the zone of rumours that are too weird to invent, so let's all assume it gets confirmed tomorrow.

He's... fine? I guess?

*Vic Reeves voice*

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cover as 3rd/4th choice right back?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

I've been substituting his name into the "I Believe In Joe Hendry" song for approximately one calendar week

I feel like seeing him play at this point would only lead to disappointment

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Shrapnig posted:

Cover as 3rd/4th choice right back?

I guess, but I don't get why. Especially for a January transfer window and especially especially from another premiership team. Dalot and Wan-Bissaka are both fine, right? Mbabu isn't amazing, but he's better than a third choice, even at a big club. Am I missing something obvious, or an injury emergency? It's just more depth rather than anything better or different.

And it's probably one of Fulham's weakest positions, unless there's already a plan to bring someone else in. It makes no sense to me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wazzerphuk posted:

I guess, but I don't get why. Especially for a January transfer window and especially especially from another premiership team. Dalot and Wan-Bissaka are both fine, right? Mbabu isn't amazing, but he's better than a third choice, even at a big club. Am I missing something obvious, or an injury emergency? It's just more depth rather than anything better or different.

And it's probably one of Fulham's weakest positions, unless there's already a plan to bring someone else in. It makes no sense to me.

You're trying to sign Cedric from Arsenal.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Big sad. But good deal.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1615733951481389056

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Danny Ings to West Ham is all but done

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Frankston posted:

Danny Ings to West Ham is all but done

Come a bit out of nowhere but not unwelcome. We’ve scored 13 all season so a proven goal scorer is needed now that Antonio is completely washed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Forest are probably signing Chris wood on loan with an option to buy

https://twitter.com/jac_talbot/status/1615733610879004673?t=JdsLKGIB9hdBNoJfrQ3FuA&s=19

Lmao why is this sensitive

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
npxG + xAG is extremely triggering, please be kind

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1616003243808788482?t=LPByERymFKhvTYTXw5bP0Q&s=19

arsenal are signing Trossard (until Boehly shows up with double wages and transfer fee)

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
https://twitter.com/SamiMokbel81_DM/status/1616019555222163457?s=20&t=C8c32KZXQGEuO2IAhvDZ0A

It will be interesting to see how he gets on, think he'll be a great backup for Martinelli.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems good at that price

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thanks Ants posted:

Seems good at that price

I dunno, he'd have to be almost half as good as Cucurella.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1616103212024754176

https://twitter.com/BurnleyExpress/status/1616108327632617481

lomzus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In case anyone else was wondering, yes that is Albin Ekdal's younger brother

lol nice edit

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vegetable posted: