Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Sentient Data posted:

Lol, did you see the X axis? It's not even in alphabetical order

The only awful in that chart is the data it's showing :cry:
Man Caught Stealing Eggs From Loblaws Charged With Theft Over $5000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/PHD7dF7.jpg

It's actually a pretty good graph imo but we don't have a thread for that

PF Wang's

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Famous heists in England: The Great Train Robbery, the Baker Street Tunnelers

Famous heists in America: The Lufthansa Raid, DB Cooper

Famous heists in Canada: The Maple Syrup Heist, Eggs Man

E: aw gently caress it's a Beaverton article, I'm leavin this up though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang he must have stolen like three dozen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jjack229 posted:

Seven days to achieve an erection is probably more foreplay than my partner will entertain.
Thinking about the fplus jelking episode.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phy posted:

Famous heists in England: The Great Train Robbery, the Baker Street Tunnelers

Famous heists in America: The Lufthansa Raid, DB Cooper

Famous heists in Canada: The Maple Syrup Heist, Eggs Man

E: aw gently caress it's a Beaverton article, I'm leavin this up though

The maple syrup heist is well worth looking into though

It's quite real, in case it sounds like another joke

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Platystemon posted:

Dang he must have stolen like three dozen.

I'm itching to read about it on their law blog

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

The maple syrup heist is well worth looking into though

It's quite real, in case it sounds like another joke

Oh absolutely. I tried to make it sound like we're provincial backwoods boobs because I thought it was funny, but they stole millions of dollars worth of syrup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Canadian_Maple_Syrup_Heist

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm itching to read about it on their law blog

:golfclap:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1616783531476123648?t=0wH_yReQh6xrQsLIhrpy1g&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Jan 22, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

do you know how much it would have cost me to have a 48 inch tv back in 1972??? you kids have it better than you know!!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Wow, a non-buttcoin "you must be explaining it wrong, it can't be that stupid" about how he's missing the forest for the trees. Yes, he's trying to say inflation is down as long as you ignore housing, energy, food, and transportation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Look, if you exclude small arms, landmines, artillery, IEDs, airdropped munitions, and infectious disease, war zones really aren’t all that dangerous.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sentient Data posted:

Wow, a non-buttcoin "you must be explaining it wrong, it can't be that stupid" about how he's missing the forest for the trees. Yes, he's trying to say inflation is down as long as you ignore housing, energy, food, and transportation
Yes it's bad for some people, but for wealthy homeowners with a lot of discretionary spending the economy has never been better!

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
it's a dumb chart but...(all-items) inflation *is* indeed down in the US. it's been down for about 6 months. that just means that prices are going up at a slower pace (not that prices are going down, or getting to anywhere near what they were before).

my favorite part is that "supercore" is a subset of core, not a superset (like, it's "even more core"). economists are the dumbest people on the planet.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Could someone smarter & more observant than me point out what the problem with this chart is with regards to the argument?
The obvious ones I can see are that we've only recorded temperatures for a much shorter timeframe so the numbers for most of the chart are approximations at best, the chart doesn't define what temperature it's supposedly showing and what it's comparing it to, and that it's presenting natural temperature variance together with human-made temperature increase as if they were equal, and while the human-made quick increase in temperature is present on the graph, it's being dwarfed by historical natural effects. Also I guess it's only assessing the claim of global temperature increase while ignoring that what we're actually dealing with is climate change, which doesn't necessarily require all-out temperature increase to be devastating via e.g. more common extreme weather conditions.
But all these seem like points that a person using the chart as an argument could dismiss ("the approximations are still accurate enough for the purposes of the point", "even if the details on the chart are unclear & the human-made drastic increase is visible, it doesn't matter since there have still been times of much higher average temperature even relatively recently", "people who believe in climate change do still argue that its effects are based on increase in average temperatures"), and I feel that I'm missing some semi-obvious point that undermines the chart's utility to support the argument it's trying to make.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hempuli posted:

Could someone smarter & more observant than me point out what the problem with this chart is with regards to the argument?
The obvious ones I can see are that we've only recorded temperatures for a much shorter timeframe so the numbers for most of the chart are approximations at best, the chart doesn't define what temperature it's supposedly showing and what it's comparing it to, and that it's presenting natural temperature variance together with human-made temperature increase as if they were equal, and while the human-made quick increase in temperature is present on the graph, it's being dwarfed by historical natural effects. Also I guess it's only assessing the claim of global temperature increase while ignoring that what we're actually dealing with is climate change, which doesn't necessarily require all-out temperature increase to be devastating via e.g. more common extreme weather conditions.
But all these seem like points that a person using the chart as an argument could dismiss ("the approximations are still accurate enough for the purposes of the point", "even if the details on the chart are unclear & the human-made drastic increase is visible, it doesn't matter since there have still been times of much higher average temperature even relatively recently", "people who believe in climate change do still argue that its effects are based on increase in average temperatures"), and I feel that I'm missing some semi-obvious point that undermines the chart's utility to support the argument it's trying to make.

They're just lying.

https://www.aap.com.au/factcheck/edited-graph-obscures-truth-about-global-warming/

quote:

The graph is titled “Climate History Over 9,500 Years” and it appears to plot a series of temperature points from 7643 BCE to 1885 CE.

Prof Mix said extrapolating the claim from the graph was problematic given it plots temperatures from “one particular high elevation site atop the Greenland Ice Sheet….not global temperatures.”

He also noted the graph ends in the year 1885, “an anomalously cold time. So it appears some particular data were picked for this tweet, and other data were excluded”.

Prof Shakun told AAP FactCheck that the graph “shows local temperature in central Greenland reconstructed from an ice core”.

“It is very misleading to make statements about global climate change based on single locations,” he added.

Here's a better look that time scale globally:

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jan 22, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're just lying.

https://www.aap.com.au/factcheck/edited-graph-obscures-truth-about-global-warming/

Here's a better look that time scale globally:

Ah, that explains it! Thanks a lot; it's always a bit worrying when a chart or claim appears where you kinda know that there must be some caveat or issue but can't quite figure it out yourself.

(although looking at the graph now, it ending at 1885 is a pretty obvious red flag that I missed, even ignoring everything else, haha)

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office

Sentient Data posted:

It's not quite as dumb as it looks. There are a lot of economists and media types running around claiming that rising wages are the problem we should be focusing on to manage inflation and predicting that rising wages will drive a self-reinforcing inflation "wage-price spiral", much like what happened in the 1970s. As a result, there's a lot of noise that businesses and workers should be keeping wages down "for the good of the economy". Perhaps unsurprisingly, the people making this argument tend to be associated with the right and/or big business.

The alternative explanation for all the inflation we've seen in the past 18 months is that it is largely a transitory spike driven by COVID. To take one example, global container shipping costs rose by a ridiculous factor from late 2020 through mid 2022 and have only just started to decline back to pre-COVID levels in the past 3-4 months. Krugman is making the point that if you strip out the factors of inflation that are driven by exogenous events (energy prices for example are driven almost entirely by offshore supply), the rise in prices has already peaked and is on the way down, so wage increases are fine and good. He could have articulated it a bit better, but hey, it's a twitter thread.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

manyleeks posted:

It's not quite as dumb as it looks.
Yes it is. While core inflation is a widely used statistic, including used cars and only used cars in order to emphasize your point is stupid.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1617266021810724866

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
So I guess the point that is trying to get across is that at no point was the spending in the US even low enough to meet the highest spending of the other countries?

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
That chart is so evil it made me report a tweet for the first time in my life.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And normalizing it to USD is a clever trick for the only country with a substantively growing real economy.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

:discourse:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Which one is the Axis of Evil? I know,
it's both of them.

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes it is. While core inflation is a widely used statistic, including used cars and only used cars in order to emphasize your point is stupid.

Maybe not as stupid as it looks. I'm not entirely sure what the situation in the US is, but here in Australia due to the delays in shipping during COVID the order time to purchase a new car increased to multiple months, depending on the model. As a consequence, the price of most used cars increased rapidly, to the point where if you stuck out the wait and bought new, it was possible to make a small profit selling into the used market immediately on taking delivery. I'm guessing this wasn't quite as pronounced in the US (as there's still a functioning domestic auto industry), but supply-chain shortages would still have had an impact on production volumes. You can argue either way as to whether including or excluding new cars makes more sense in that context, but there's at least some justification for excluding.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Screenshotting this just in case they suddenly discover shame.

The graph in full res:

For gently caress's sake. :bang:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can make the Y axis longer, you won't run out of pixels.

https://twitter.com/__cosmopolite__/status/1617297774437085185

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Jan 23, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

OwlFancier posted:

You can make the Y axis longer, you won't run out of pixels.

https://twitter.com/__cosmopolite__/status/1617297774437085185

still awful lol. starts in 50B increments then jumps to 100B

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

who do you think you are, Snowglobe of Doom?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I think it was this thread that had an animated graph comparing where the respondents actually fell with the wealth percentiles of the US versus where they perceived/reported they fell. The result included a bunch of upper class people claiming they were middle class.

Does anyone know what graph I am talking about? My search skills are failing me.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Is that the one where it's "Here's what most people think wealth distribution is like, here's what they'd like to see, here's what it really like"?

The difference between what people think the wealth distribution is and how it really is is startling. Everyone should see this.

I think it's on YouTube, but I can't recall who did it. Robert Reich, maybe?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

Is that the one where it's "Here's what most people think wealth distribution is like, here's what they'd like to see, here's what it really like"?

The difference between what people think the wealth distribution is and how it really is is startling. Everyone should see this.

I think it's on YouTube, but I can't recall who did it. Robert Reich, maybe?

That sounds interesting too.

The one I am thinking of heading is a rectangle with dots representing the respondents. The rectangle has vertical lines to break it into percentiles (probably in decades). The dots are probably color coded based on the "actual" location and the animation has the dots moving between the "actual" and how the respondents self-identified.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

jjack229 posted:

That sounds interesting too.

The one I am thinking of heading is a rectangle with dots representing the respondents. The rectangle has vertical lines to break it into percentiles (probably in decades). The dots are probably color coded based on the "actual" location and the animation has the dots moving between the "actual" and how the respondents self-identified.

This sounds like an Upshot interactive, or maybe a YouGov article?

Something like
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/18/upshot/black-white-wealth-gap-perceptions.html

Or maybe
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/06/02/how-much-money-do-you-need-earn-year-be-rich

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Is it the "everyone assumes they're middle class" gif?

https://mobile.twitter.com/matschnetzer/status/1091679602265780225

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

ranbo das posted:

Is it the "everyone assumes they're middle class" gif?

https://mobile.twitter.com/matschnetzer/status/1091679602265780225

That's the one. Thanks :cheers:

Edit: I see that I had the country wrong, it was Austria not the US

jjack229 has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jjack229 posted:

That's the one. Thanks :cheers:

Edit: I see that I had the country wrong, it was Austria not the US

I'm sure there's multiple studies out there showing that it happens in the US too.

For anyone who hasn't seen this sort of thing before, basically everyone estimates their place on the spectrum of wealth by comparing themselves to the people around them rather than to the whole spectrum. Since everyone tends to know and interact with people who are slightly-to-moderately richer or poorer than themselves, but not with people who are significantly so, there is a tendency to place your own dot closer to the middle than you actually are.