Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

What's up with all the poo poo flying around about different campuses being treated differently?

all i am aware of is that Berkeley, LA, and San Francisco ASEs are getting base salary scales about $2500/yr higher than the rest of the state, supposedly as a cost of living adjustment (student researchers are all on the same scale statewide, which is higher than the ASE scale), everyone at Santa Cruz gets a $2,500/yr housing stipend, and SF also has its own kind of housing supplement that I don't know the specifics of.

outside of the contract, the other difference between campuses that I am aware of is that only LBNL and some(?) parts of UCSF are docking the pay of the workers who were striking

i've been ignoring all of the twitter fighting because i got enough frustration from irl organizing lately

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what's the mood after the ratification vote been like?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In Training posted:

what's the mood after the ratification vote been like?

i dunno, im at my parents' house.

i assume the people who liked the contract are super happy and the people who didnt are mega pissed off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

i dunno, im at my parents' house.

i assume the people who liked the contract are super happy and the people who didnt are mega pissed off.

Makes sense lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oops, I forgot that it was the grad school and academia thread in SAL that there were some posts with more context, not this thread.

I'm just going to quote myself and a few other posters discussing about where the divide between the two sides is.

Animal-Mother posted:

Well, that's it for the UC strike. :eng99:

Cyrano4747 posted:

What happened? By the smilie I'm guessing nothing good?

Shear Modulus posted:

The ratification vote for grad students ended last night.

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1606467076486336512

The contracts are big improvements on the status quo but imperfect.

There are sharply opposing views on how much longer the strike could have held out. The differing vote margins for the TAs and researchers kind of reflect this. From where I am in a big STEM department, participation had fallen off a cliff and most people wanted to ratify. I heard a lot that in humanities departments where most grad students are teaching employees, participation was still strong and most people wanted to hold out.

e: WSWSis pushing a conspiracy theory that the bargaining team conspired with UAW international sold everybody out and cut a deal with the UC behind all the workers' backs to ram through a lovely contract. It's of course impossible to prove that Ray Curry wasn't secretly meeting with UC management and telling them to gently caress over the workers, but I think it's mostly something people are telling themselves to avoid acknowledging that the strike was weak to begin with and further weakening on its own.

Animal-Mother posted:

IMHO, the strike mostly appeared to be weakening because it's the holidays and people are busy with their families. If they held out past this, I think we would've seen a resurgence. But that's just my conjecture. Only thing I know for certain is that there's a pretty sharp class divide between the yes and no votes. The people who can afford to vote yes mostly did.

MegaZeroX posted:

From what I saw, the conditions for the divide was based on:

1) Did the bargaining team from your campus approve of the deal? If not, then you were much more likely to reject

2) Are you a TA instead of an RA? If so, then you were more likely to reject.

3) Is the cost of living low in your area? If so, you were more likely to reject.

1 is self-explanatory, 2 being a combination that striking as an RA may gently caress up your graduation time by not getting your lab-work done, and that your striking is having more obvious impacts as a TA. 3 may be the opposite of one would expect, but I'd rationalize it with saying that those there could more easily afford 1 or 2 more semesters of striking.

e: Just like every other left of center space in the universe both sides are the privileged hobbyist leftists lol

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Dec 25, 2022

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Thanks for the info. Some of the best organizing advice I've gotten is make sure you rest after a big drive, protect yourself, and jump back in when youre recharged but don't force it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Big Gay Union
https://twitter.com/HBHWorkers/status/1611154663247876096?s=20&t=VjpPbRQniCVRUADrNU4_TA

If you want to help out the workers there here's the strike fund/relief fund for laid off workers. The had a 3 day ULP strike that just finished, but the struggle to get workers reinstated and even get a contract is continuing. They all work at a "nonprofit" healthcare provider for the LGBTQIA community in Chicago, and management has been vicious since they've unionized last year.
https://twitter.com/HBHWorkers/status/1600164720471789582?s=20&t=VjpPbRQniCVRUADrNU4_TA

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Has anyone dealt with or seen an example of a cost of living difference between different campuses across a state for full-time employees? I'm trying to come up with a fair way to deal with the facts that
-cost of living, home value, and rent vary by more than 2x between certain campuses
-most employees work at the main campus and many will go FYGM if people elsewhere get an adjustment that they don't even if it's objectively fair
-some people commute farther to the main campus but live closer to other regionals
-people at regionals have to do significantly more work due to a shrinking workforce and scope creep in their jobs with no compensation
-there a mix of people who rent and own

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anyone got info on the nurse strike in Nyc?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
random question just crossed my mind for no reason: are the UPS retail clerks union?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1612596193204346885

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jinnigan posted:

random question just crossed my mind for no reason: are the UPS retail clerks union?

At actual UPS sort facilities with a clerk desk, yes, they’re teamsters, or at least part of the bargaining unit represented by the teamsters. UPS stores are franchised, IIRC. My local UPS store is basically a family business.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Super quick context because time is of the essence:

A colleague of mine and I are working on a monthly newsletter for our locals and we were set to send it out today, and include some information on what to look for in the first paycheck of the year (1/15, eff. 1/13) but the company announced a 10% reduction in workforce today effective immediately. Those of us working on the newsletter aren't sure what to do - we're already at ~500 words so we feel like adding something in is going to lose people just on length alone, but we also want to get a communication out to everyone about what's happening and what affected Local members can do to make sure their checks are right (they absolutely won't be) by the contract.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

my experience is that you should never omit important information, especially if it would upset people if they learned you chose to omit it, in any communication.

brevity is important, but not at the sacrifice of keeping people informed

structure your newsletter in such a way (with bold text, number, whatever) so that it can be easily skimmed to see what each section is about.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

my experience is that you should never omit important information, especially if it would upset people if they learned you chose to omit it, in any communication.

brevity is important, but not at the sacrifice of keeping people informed

structure your newsletter in such a way (with bold text, number, whatever) so that it can be easily skimmed to see what each section is about.

Thanks, this was my initial thinking, but I wanted a gut check because I'm incredibly impulsive when I'm wound up!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the instinct for most people in anything is to read the headline so big bold proclamations that break up newsletters are really helpful. Like JOB CUTS ANNOUNCED - WE WILL PROTECT OUR PAY or w/e and then all the details. At least that's how I read when I get letters from unions or orgs

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/eaworkers_union/status/1613958231327383552

e: and we're getting some traction!

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1614005332828880896

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jan 13, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol the democrats selling off their entire voter database to private equity is the most democrat thing

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

lol the democrats selling off their entire voter database to private equity is the most democrat thing

it might not be totally analogous, but i find it amusing in a way that for all their weeping and wailing about a couple hundred dollars worth of ad-buys by russian trolls, they had no problem allowing the sale of their database and software kit to a uk-based investment firm, which then turned around and slashed ~30% of the people responsible for maintaining that platform.

senior level architects, product coaches, support staff, developers, and client advocates got their access cut off, some of them while they were in the middle of customer calls, couldn't break to see their emails, and were locked out of their email before their client call ever ended. the combined years of knowledge of the platform, how the different versions work (there are actually 3 different production releases of NGP), and other indispensable knowledge that was never written down just...gone. some people have said it's a collective 50 years' worth of knowledge of NGPVAN.

:rubby:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol that's wild

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:bravo:

the recently elected danish goverment (which is a coalition of three parties: "social democrats", "liberals", and "centrists", "lmao") have decided to abolish a national holiday.

"store bededag" (great prayerday) was entirely made up 300 years ago, but since then it has become a communal day of rest. theres nothing religious about it, but its a day that most people can enjoy with each other and if they have to work they get paid as if it was a sunday. imagine thanksgiving but less nationalist and more lazy, i guess.

they claim that this extra labor supply will result in thousands of jobs, and the taxes for it will be used for defense spending re ukraine.

ive not heard any non-govt source say this is a good idea, the govt doesnt even have evidence that adding a work day has a permanent effect. economists, activists, anyone you ask say its not gonna work. it might possibly make a difference in the first couple years, but after that they assume it is permanent. when explicitly asked, that is what they say "we have no evidence to the contrary, so we assume it is permanent"

they do have a majority and they can push it through, but according to decorum they have to go through a hearing period & obvs they chose the shortest allowed time, so theres about a month yet before it gets decided. anyway the govt is suggesting that employers pay all employees 0.45% more in salary (which apparently corresponds to one work day). already people are saying "wtf, that only pays us the normal rate. you take away a holiday and pay us the normal rate, thats a de facto pay cut". which the unions arent pleased with of course. already, theres a lot of resentment from nurses and teachers etc, traditional womens roles who have been underpaid for decades.

concurrently, theres a growing movement in the unions for 4-day work weeks so im actually kind of hoping that this will push the unions to demand that poo poo. also a lot of union contracts are going up for a vote this spring, so its weird to do a stunt like this right before

my dad (retired psychiatric nurse) keeps saying "theyre doing this to take away attention from some more heinous poo poo" but im like "dad its all heinous"

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jan 13, 2023

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/moreperfectus/status/1590892618556141571

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Jan 17, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

We were just told by our locals that we aren't allowed to publish this.

quote:

EveryAction/NGP VAN Union Statement on Layoffs

Last Thursday, Bonterra – the parent company of NGP VAN, EveryAction, and Salsa Labs – laid off 10 percent of its workforce without warning. Employees received an email at 11:02 a.m. announcing the layoffs. Within minutes, 140 of our colleagues were locked out of their workstations-some were even locked out during client meetings. This so-called “strategic restructuring” terminated 38 union members in departments such as Client Services, Data Services, Engineering, and Sales. The way that Bonterra chose to conduct these layoffs reflects a total disregard for their employees and their clients.

In 2021, when Apax Partners, a private equity firm based overseas, combined four companies to create Bonterra, many were concerned about putting the primary software of the Democratic Party and many progressive organizations in the hands of private capital. Bonterra’s recent actions should reignite those fears. With these layoffs, our team has lost decades of institutional knowledge needed to continue serving our nonprofit, political, and union clients and adequately prepare for the 2024 election cycle. Despite executive management’s assurances, it is clear that the remaining employees will have no choice but to shoulder the work of those who were laid off. The level of disruption this creates, upending focus on projects in order to triage the current situation, cannot be overstated and will take months to overcome.

In a series of departmental meetings and Q&As, Bonterra executives were pressed on why our colleagues were laid off so abruptly. Their answers were vague and inconsistent, including “aligning the company to a shared vision” and “eliminating redundancy” across the four merged companies; however, the differences between Bonterra’s products as well as the unique experience and skills of those laid off proves that this is simply untrue. Some cited cost as one of the motivating factors. Prior to the acquisition, the entire executive team at NGP VAN/ EveryAction took pay cuts to ensure employees’ financial security during the COVID-19 pandemic. In a meeting this week, our new CEO adamantly denied that these layoffs were cost-driven and insisted they were merely “strategic restructuring.” Why does “strategic restructuring” have to result in 140 people losing their jobs?

While this news is distressing for our clients, particularly the Democratic Party, who rely on our tools, we must not forget those who were directly impacted. Being laid off with no notice is a disrespectful and dehumanizing experience that has left many of our colleagues in mental, emotional, and financial distress. Some employees received notice that their jobs no longer existed while they were on parental leave, and others learned about their job loss while on vacation outside of the country. Two people, including one of the first ever hires at one of Bonterra’s legacy companies, worked for the company for nearly 20 years before Bonterra unceremoniously locked them out of their accounts on Thursday morning.

We signed up to do this work for a reason – we want to make and support tech that strengthens the progressive movement and the many nonprofits that our communities rely on. With these layoffs, it is clearer than ever that those who were concerned about our acquisition by private capital, which aims to maximize profits at all costs, were right to be. We know this will not be the last time Apax Partners’ interests conflict with ours. We remain committed to keeping Bonterra accountable to its workers, clients, and the progressive movement. Thanks to our hard-won union contract, Bonterra is required to recall workers who were laid off if positions they are suited for open up in the future. We are also able to fight back against the inevitable push for us to perform the work of several employees at once. Worker solidarity is the only solution to corporate greed. You can’t trust your employer - unionize your workplace!

We are dedicated to helping our former colleagues find suitable work where they are valued and respected. Please reach out if you have any leads.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just got an e-mail from my union announcing a strike training day. It included the following sentence (translation mine, clunky language OP's):

quote:

Strike training consists of a training period of around an hour, and after that begins a movie called Insanely poo poo Idea (duration c. 1:45)

Might go see just for the movie.

e: What the gently caress it's just a drama movie, I thought by the title it was going to be about capitalism or something :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

We were just told by our locals that we aren't allowed to publish this.

By what reasoning??

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In Training posted:

By what reasoning??

We were told:

quote:

We heard back from the Locals and they aren’t on board with us publishing the statement.
They explained that they had concerns about the consequences that could come from releasing the statement. As it’s written now, this is something that would cause serious issues with a lot of existing clients, and while Mark and the ELT deserve to be made uncomfortable, current and prospective clients potentially boycotting our tools or switching to competitors would not help us.
It’s clear that people worked very hard on this statement, and it absolutely does catalog our issues with the company. Moving forward, if folks are going to step up and work on communications, let’s get clear on the objective (who is this for, what is our goal, what are our asks of people, and how will this accomplish that). Apologies to the people who stepped up and put a lot of effort here without us all agreeing on a clear objective—your energy and time are valuable and haven’t gone unnoticed.
What can we do next? A lot—and we should channel that effort internally. The locals acknowledged that the company has burned through a lot of our good will, and now one of the biggest ways we can push back is through strong contract enforcement. We know we need to all keep our eyes open for contract violations, but what does that look like? Could we use next Thursday’s Mobilization Committee meeting for a “Know Your Contract” training where we’ll review what articles we think they’re most likely to violate and where they’ll violate them?

I may or may not have accused CWA leadership of being compromised after reading this.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Impressive that they took up so much space to say they're not doing anything lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yeaaahhh I'm gonna be simmering on that all day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

We were told:

I may or may not have accused CWA leadership of being compromised after reading this.

that sucks, especially the coddling of your employer. how could the blowback be worse anyway? people have already lost jobs, more will lose their jobs no matter what you do! and not criticizing employer now just means you probably alienate/lose more members who will view the union (correctly) as cowardly and now you're guaranteed a weaker bargaining position anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

daniel bell is talking in a context of anti-imperalism mainly here, but this kind of applies to the staff that run voting databases bc of their relation to domestic voting rights. business unionism will protect their membership in the short-term regardless of the long-term social consequences of doing so

quote:

In his classic 1958 essay, “The Capitalism of the Proletariat: A Theory of American Trade-Unionism,” Bell tried to understand a paradox: labor’s rhetoric included many angry speeches excoriating the boss, yet leaders of even militant unions frequently saw themselves as supporters of capitalism.

How to make sense of this? Bell argued we should “see American trade-unionism as existing in two contexts, as a social movement and as an economic force (market unionism).” The social movement is, in Bell’s telling, ideological. It is brought to workers by intellectuals who call upon them to fulfill their historical role. In short, the social movement is engaged in an ongoing struggle to overthrow capitalism. Market unionism, by contrast, is a narrow economic framework, “a delimiting of role and function, imposed by the realities of the specific industrial environment in which the union operates.”

Market unionism, simultaneous with the union social movement, will go along with capital’s desire to expand, regardless of whether that effort is broadly humane or not. Market unionism needs monopoly-dominated industries that are fully organized to eliminate wages from competition. As Bell said, a union “necessarily becomes an ally of ‘its’ industry.” So if the cigarette or the bomb or the prison factory promises another five thousand union jobs — or instead wishes to trade mechanization for higher wages for the remaining workers — the union delays the social movement and affirms market unionism.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In Training posted:

that sucks, especially the coddling of your employer. how could the blowback be worse anyway? people have already lost jobs, more will lose their jobs no matter what you do! and not criticizing employer now just means you probably alienate/lose more members who will view the union (correctly) as cowardly and now you're guaranteed a weaker bargaining position anyway.

In Training posted:

daniel bell is talking in a context of anti-imperalism mainly here, but this kind of applies to the staff that run voting databases bc of their relation to domestic voting rights. business unionism will protect their membership in the short-term regardless of the long-term social consequences of doing so

thanks for both of these posts. definitely bringing up some of these questions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Non-American organizing:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1616104616965406721

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you allow me to be suspicious and accusatory of the democrats, I think that the timing of a sale of NGP VAN to private equity right after the 2020 election feels a lot like it fits into the constellation of other rule changes the DNC instituted or plans on instituting post-2020 to make it impossible for someone like bernie to get as close as he did to winning (for example, moving south carolina's primary before iowa). taking an essential piece of shared campaign infrastructure like the voter database out of the hands of the DNC, which at least theoretically could be democratically controlled by bernie-aligned democrats at some point, and into the hands of a private equity company that doesn't need to answer to anyone and has no real obligation to pretend to be neutral, is neoliberal privatization 101, just as applied to political infrastructure instead of state infrastructure.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“this is the second castle to unionize” made me laugh hard enough that I had to explain it to my union treasurer who is sitting in this office with me.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sup.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrYenko posted:

“this is the second castle to unionize” made me laugh hard enough that I had to explain it to my union treasurer who is sitting in this office with me.

"Sorry, capitalist, the exploitable workforce is in another castle."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

....thread title?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

related to locals being compromised, i learned of a union shop recently where the shop steward's partner is his boss's boss

and both people, the steward and his partner, were part of contract negotiations. on opposite sides of the table

i was blown away