Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol Chicago eclipses SF and Seattle in every single metric

Seattle ain't even a top ten metropolitan area by GDP

NYC, LA, Chicago, *maybe* SF are the only real international cities in the US.

GDP per capita:
3. SF
5. SEA
9. DC
10. NYC
15. LA
…..
34. Chicago (below Anchorage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

GDP per capita:
3. SF
5. SEA
9. DC
10. NYC
15. LA
…..

1. Midland, Texas

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GDP per capita:
3. SF
5. SEA
9. DC
10. NYC
15. LA
…..

You're using a metric that puts Bridgeport, CT ahead of Seattle. You may want to rethink this strategy.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i used to live in chicago and its probably the only major american city i would return to to live

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and expansion in the burbs isn’t constrained politically, either.

compare it to say Seattle. Seattle basically has several channels with lakes in them that were dug out by glaciers that run north south. these constrain transportation and expansion along with the cascades. additionally where there is undeveloped land king county makes it hard to develop for environmental reasons and in general encourages densification with an urban growth boundary. This pushes a fair bit of expansion out to other counties which is constrained somewhat by transportation limitations.

The Chicago region doesn’t have that. really the only constraint is transportation into Chicago proper from the surrounding burbs.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i used to live in chicago and its probably the only major american city i would return to to live

I was in Hyde park for quite a while. used to be in and out of all the Chicago land scrap yards for barge draft survey at all hours.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

GDP per capita:
3. SF
5. SEA
9. DC
10. NYC
15. LA
…..

Absolutely nobody except you, in this post, cares about that metric.

The biggest metropolitan economies in the US are NYC - LA - Chicago - SF. Seattle doesn't even rate the top ten.

Apr 7, 2003

lol the #1 "metro" on that list is loving Midland TX

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and expansion in the burbs isn’t constrained politically, either.

compare it to say Seattle. Seattle basically has several channels with lakes in them that were dug out by glaciers that run north south. these constrain transportation and expansion along with the cascades. additionally where there is undeveloped land king county makes it hard to develop for environmental reasons and in general encourages densification with an urban growth boundary. This pushes a fair bit of expansion out to other counties which is constrained somewhat by transportation limitations.

The Chicago region doesn’t have that. really the only constraint is transportation into Chicago proper from the surrounding burbs.

um, maybe you've heard of a little lake called Lake Michigan

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

um, maybe you've heard of a little lake called Lake Michigan

only on the one side. I used to do draft surveys on the self unloaders and grain loading on the salties.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
holy poo poo you guys get really pissy and defensive about your metro area, don’t you?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is on way outside of a detached home that you can not have some sort of association. So... we should all live in detached homes? that's insane

also for cost, my dues are 420 (lol) a month if you include the bulk internet/cable - I separated that out because it's not really maintenance, but we add it for everyone because it's heavily discounted. If I wanted just the internet I have, I'd have to pay comcast 150/month. And if I wanted cable (I don't, but for the purpose of the example), It'd probably be 200-250 total. So right off the bat, I would have a whopping ~300/month or less to do ALL exterior work. Landscaping, snow removal, exterior painting, roofing, most plumbing, water, sewer, etc. etc.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

do we have any FISHTABs in this thread?

that is entirely too long, just stick with FIBs

though I'd still prefer them to the coasties itt

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that is entirely too long, just stick with FIBs

though I'd still prefer them to the coasties itt

i like the specificity of fishtab, and fib doesn't have the same mouthfeel

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Jan 19, 2023

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
FISHTAB is a new one to me. I like it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

You're using a metric that puts Bridgeport, CT ahead of Seattle. You may want to rethink this strategy.

I will never rethink any strategy. I am an American.

Chicago isn’t in the same ballpark as the other jurisdictions I listed.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

the architecture and trains seem p cool

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Absolutely nobody except you, in this post, cares about that metric.

The biggest metropolitan economies in the US are NYC - LA - Chicago - SF. Seattle doesn't even rate the top ten.

Everyone cares about that metric.

And my original point remains true: the housing conditions of chicago are not similar to the housing conditions of the other important cities in the USA

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CongoJack posted:

holy poo poo you guys get really pissy and defensive about your metro area, don’t you?

some folks enjoy being pissy and a bit irritable at each other.

it’s relaxing.

Apr 7, 2003

And my original point remains true: the housing conditions of chicago are not similar to the housing conditions of the other important cities in the USA

Midland, TX - America's most important international city

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I live in the 4th highest metropolitan area by GDP per capita (the most important metric) and I'm still pissy!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Seattle feels like a fishing village that grew way too much and too quickly at that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I prefer to live in a metropolis where we delved too deep and too greedily.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

Chicago is weirdly affordable and that's never made much sense to me since it's a nice city. We have some friends who fled there a few years ago precisely because they could rent for something approaching a reasonable price. Like it seems weirdly affordable even compared to nowheresville suburbs.

I mean it's cold I guess but stop being a child and wear a coat

mildly cold in winter + no real mountains nearby for skiing = almost no one with a choice wants to live within 500 miles. but thats ok, when the great lakes consortium blows up the hoover dam and that reservoir near yosemite, you'll all come squealing for the water and we will all do our best immortan joe cosplay

and yes, we should all be living in detached 1200 sqft homes in places like peoria, rockford, monroe, evansville, kalamazoo, appleton etc, then working remotely.

out of curiosity, why do you think that is? i don't know minneapolis all that well, but isn't it similar to chicago but even more offputting to anyone afraid of a bit of ice?

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jan 19, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

External Organs posted:

I just double checked and there's literally a coal mine under my house. From 1932!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

External Organs posted:

OKC had what felt like nonstop Earthquakes for about 4 years recently because of willy-nilly wastewater injection lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

External Organs posted:

I just double checked and there's literally a coal mine under my house. From 1932!

any goblins

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Al! posted:

any goblins

My monitor is off

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WaryWarren posted:

Seattle feels like a fishing village that grew way too much and too quickly at that.

there’s a pretty large amount of not fish international trade that physically flows through Seattle and Tacoma. there is also a surprising amount of small and mid sized manufacturing occurring in non descript warehouses in the area that isn’t visible unless one interacts with it directly. it’s closest to Asia because of how great circles work and gets a lot of trade because of that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Seattle has always been an oversized one-industry boom town that grows, fails to solve its self-inflicted problems, then flat-lines or dies back before the next thing moves in and starts the cycle over again.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

wish i coulda stayed in seattle but it was too expensive and such a pain + costly to fly back to see my and my partner's family 2x/year..... i turned out the lights before i left tho

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

mildly cold in winter + no real mountains nearby for skiing = almost no one with a choice wants to live within 500 miles.
This is really the killer for Chicago. If there were a 5000’ mountain range like 50 miles east of the city I’d probably have moved there a decade ago. But maybe it wouldn’t be as cool a place as it is if that were the case, it’d be another Denver where housing has gone off the deep end.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there’s a pretty large amount of not fish international trade that physically flows through Seattle and Tacoma. there is also a surprising amount of small and mid sized manufacturing occurring in non descript warehouses in the area that isn’t visible unless one interacts with it directly. it’s closest to Asia because of how great circles work and gets a lot of trade because of that.

I left Portland right when T6 was about to shut down in Port of Portland. so I assume now all that willamette valley agriculture is now moving via SeaTac?

my spouse could get a job in Seattle since her field keeps on posting positions and it’s very, very niche however the CoL plus air pollution is going to just keep us in Michigan. probably for the best in the long term.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

personally i took ben shapiro's advice and LEFT THE CITIES and its been pretty rad so far

Apr 7, 2003

This is the condo building I was talking about a few pages back - they couldn't give units in this building away a few years ago because there was litigation going on over a special assessment due to glass falling out of the windows. Now they're selling for stupid amounts for a building with sky high HoA fees for the area + ongoing litigation. idk what the gently caress.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is already a whole developed city ranking system available to argue about that was not developed by goons

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

there is already a whole developed city ranking system available to argue about that was not developed by goons

yes, seattle isn't on it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ive lived in both portland and new york for many years ama about how insufferable i am about wbat cities are good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pft is correct that Chicago is a big deal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chicago does not feature relatively prominently in America mass media so I guess it doesnt “feel” as important as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sometimes i like to look at a dumb unimportant city in street view and you can find some cool stuff. did u know that indianapolis (a dumb pointless city) has a cool canal? did you know that milwaukee (worthless) has a pretty cool public natural history museum u can look at on google?