Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

amp/pedal reverb kinda sounds bad unless you specifically want the kinda hazy effect of it coming through the cabinet-- which you might, it's a big part of a dreampop/shoegaze sound, but yeah as far as just glue in a mix, it's way easier and usually sounds nicer imo to just do that poo poo in plugins later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i dunno if it's just better technique, or not caring, but at this point i never notice the little issues with my guitars

they're there, though - i was playing with some folks and a girl picked up my acoustic to play a couple songs and was instantly like "HOW DO YOU EVEN PLAY THIS, THE ACTION IS SO HIGH?!! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE". i was just like :shrug: i dunno what to tell you but it sounds fine to me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wouldn't worry about reverb pedals for a studio rig unless you specifically want to do something like reverb before distortion, but for writing parts being able to hear it live while you play can help and if you're playing live that's probably going to be your only option until you get to the level of having roadies and a guitar tech and rack-mounted gear.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

a.p. dent posted:

i dunno if it's just better technique, or not caring, but at this point i never notice the little issues with my guitars

they're there, though - i was playing with some folks and a girl picked up my acoustic to play a couple songs and was instantly like "HOW DO YOU EVEN PLAY THIS, THE ACTION IS SO HIGH?!! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE". i was just like :shrug: i dunno what to tell you but it sounds fine to me

I used to be this way. If hs me saw how often I check the intonation on my guitars they would make fun of me. Now any little issue will distract me until it’s fixed. Luckily both guitars are sorted.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TheMightyBoops posted:

I used to be this way. If hs me saw how often I check the intonation on my guitars they would make fun of me. Now any little issue will distract me until it’s fixed. Luckily both guitars are sorted.

My partner calls me a "guitar hypochondriac", but after spending years with a Dean with a neck-twist, and my strat that was all kinds of janky in its set-up (until I learned what a set up was), I like to enjoy my instruments sometimes. I respect and enjoy people being punk AF and playing junk shop guitars or whatever, but I also want to take care of the things that bring me joy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm currently running my Washburn through a Fender Mustang Micro, and while it's great I think I'm missing the full experience of playing with an amp. I'm therefore looking for a small amp suitable for a beginner in a loft room. Problem is there's a huge range to pick from, I don't have the experience to know what's good or not and tons of reviews aren't unbiased so not much help there. Budget is up to £125ish. I don't currently play any particular type of music as I'm still doing very basic stuff, but eventually would like to play prog, rock and metal.

Current shortlist is Roland Cube 10GX, Orange Crush 20 or 12 if 20 is overkill, Katana Mini, Blackstar Debut or Fly 3, Fender Frontman etc etc. There's so many and I really struggle to make decisions when ignorant of the subject.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 18, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

I'm currently running my Washburn through a Fender Mustang Micro, and while it's great I think I'm missing the full experience of playing with an amp. I'm therefore looking for a small amp suitable for a beginner in a loft room. Problem is there's a huge range to pick from, I don't have the experience to know what's good or not and tons of reviews aren't unbiased so not much help there. Budget is up to £125ish.

The Fender LT25 is basically your mustang micro with a speaker on it. The Champ 20 is a step down (unless you just really like knobs). Check out pawn shops around, every one I've been in has these kinds of amps lying around covered in dust for $75.

Another option, if you have a speaker setup around already, just run your micro headphone out into a speaker's aux in. I've done it a few times and it works just fine and costs $2 for a cable if you don't already have an aux-aux lying around. Even a cheap set of desktop computer speakers, so long as it has an aux cable. Something like this with a USB power brick ...

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-USB...22-d605505c9d1e

It works just fine, actually! And probably won't sound all THAT different from a Frontman.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Lungboy posted:

I'm currently running my Washburn through a Fender Mustang Micro, and while it's great I think I'm missing the full experience of playing with an amp. I'm therefore looking for a small amp suitable for a beginner in a loft room. Problem is there's a huge range to pick from, I don't have the experience to know what's good or not and tons of reviews aren't unbiased so not much help there. Budget is up to £125ish. I don't currently play any particular type of music as I'm still doing very basic stuff, but eventually would like to play prog, rock and metal.

There are 15-20w solid state/modeling amp combos from Fender/Peavey/Roland/etc for around that price that will sound decent-ish at certain things and bad at others, depending on the amp. If you're getting anything cheaper than a Boss Katana 50 or similar (which is apparently 235 pounds) I'd probably want to listen to it in a store and make sure you like the sounds you get out of it. I had one of the old Peavey Vypyrs as a practice amp and it had a serviceable metal tone and was pretty rough with cleans/crunch. If you're able to stretch for the Katana or can find one used on a deal, I'd highly consider that.

A more unorthodox option would be to do amp plugins on your computer. If you're technologically inclined you could get an audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and use it with existing speakers/free guitar plugins. The plugins you can find for free are going to sound better than a 125 pound amp and you'd have the start of a good upgrade path to a pretty sick recording setup.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks both. Plugging into my PC or other existing speaker is sadly not an option. I could stretch to a Katana 50 or HB Tube 15 but worry they are overkill for my usage. I'll set up an eBay search for them. As it happens I went to my local second hand shop today and looked at the amps and it was a ropey selection of knackered old things or huge stacks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Thanks both. Plugging into my PC or other existing speaker is sadly not an option. I could stretch to a Katana 50 or HB Tube 15 but worry they are overkill for my usage. I'll set up an eBay search for them. As it happens I went to my local second hand shop today and looked at the amps and it was a ropey selection of knackered old things or huge stacks.

Huxley's definitely got the right idea with the LT25/Champ for what it sounds like you're after. You may also find the older models called the Mustang v1/v2 for cheaper still and they'll do the same job.

Buy'em used and figure you'll spend 50-100 after some haggling and then if you ever want to sell it and move on up you can probably get 25-50 back. Always be thinking of the next swap in the gear chain (though amps are generally a losing proposition)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Speaking of Katana's - I just got mine. Are there any tips/tricks or resources I should know about as I'm getting into what this thing can do?

Also any idea why this pops up every time I turn on Tone Studio even though the drivers and app are all the latest versions that I can find on the website?

That download page it sends me to is the page I got the software from in the first place.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Lungboy posted:

The Katana can reduce its wattage output to half a watt which really helps it stay at conversation level volumes if needed. I think the LT25 would probably be pretty good also.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BCRock, you might need a firmware update for the amp. Do double check, but I think this might be what you need: https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-50_mk2/updates_drivers/4d633c80-f506-440e-94ce-055aaba48df3/

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Lungboy posted:

Current shortlist is Roland Cube 10GX, Orange Crush 20 or 12 if 20 is overkill, Katana Mini, Blackstar Debut or Fly 3, Fender Frontman etc etc. There's so many and I really struggle to make decisions when ignorant of the subject.

i like the roland cube but i’m an extremely basic bitch

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

nitsuga posted:

BCRock, you might need a firmware update for the amp. Do double check, but I think this might be what you need: https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-50_mk2/updates_drivers/4d633c80-f506-440e-94ce-055aaba48df3/

That worked, thx! It looked like the lights were lighting up in the "latest version" pattern, but after doing the update Tone Studio loads in properly now - sweet.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Trying separate ehx brand ac power adapter did not fix whatever happens to create constant high pitch squeal when I connect the ehx mistress on the outside of the jhs mg.

Flange on + Jhs on = loud squeal
Flange bypass + jhs on = no squeal
Flange on + jhs bypassed = quieter but still there squeal
Flange on + any other pedal and no jhs in chain= no squeal
Flange on and jhs on but placed after flange = no squeal

The boss pedals have buffers or whatever but putting them at beginning or end makes no difference

I’m going to give up on using these two together even unless anybody has some other idea on how to get them to play nice.

Board for reference:

Please ignore the wiring mess I’m rearranging these a whole lot right now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 19, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

a.p. dent posted:

i like the roland cube but i’m an extremely basic bitch

As a JC disciple the cube is a JC without the annoying buzz, good choice.

Edit: if I needed a new amp and had a little money I’d buy a Boss Katana or Cube, if I had a lot of of money I’d buy a Fender Twin Tonemaster or buy one of the Acoustic brand amps Pat Metheny uses (I don’t remember the exact model).

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 19, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Edit: if I needed a new amp and had a little money I’d buy a Boss Katana or Cube, if I had a lot of of money I’d buy a Fender Twin Tonemaster or buy one of the Acoustic brand amps Pat Metheny uses (I don’t remember the exact model).

the tonemaster twin is gooooooooooooooood

but i would absolutely never suggest a beginner get it, or most intermediates even (its knob city..), or also anybody not willing to deal with many knobs and buying pedals unless you're going to stay 100% clean!!!

and yeah with all that I think the tonemaster upgrade has costed me around $1800 with the pedals

ethanol fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 19, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ethanol posted:

the tonemaster twin is gooooooooooooooood

but i would absolutely never suggest a beginner get it, or most intermediates even (its knob city..), or also anybody not willing to deal with many knobs and buying pedals unless you're going to stay 100% clean!!!

Oh I’m just used to stacking stuff on top of a clean tone because that’s what works for me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Oh I’m just used to stacking stuff on top of a clean tone because that’s what works for me.

it's soooo good for that, i'm having a hell of a good time with it. but uh yeah..looking forward to getting my tax return because I'll probably reduce my diet to pure rice to pay for all this poo poo in the meantime

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ethanol posted:

it's soooo good for that, i'm having a hell of a good time with it. but uh yeah..looking forward to getting my tax return because I'll probably reduce my diet to pure rice to pay for all this poo poo in the meantime

Yeah there’s no more spending on my end until my arch top is paid off. Excellent guitar though.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm questioning what I'm doing with my life as I'm starting to build my Tele-like partscaster. Adding a forearm contour to the body already felt shameful enough, but now I'm seriously considering a 24.75" scale length instead of the standard 25.5". Do I even like teles any longer?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The second hand shop has a Blackstar HT5 that from the photos looks almost new for £165. I'd guess I could haggle that down into my budget. Would that be a decent option as it's massively discounted Vs new ?

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

BCRock posted:

Speaking of Katana's - I just got mine. Are there any tips/tricks or resources I should know about as I'm getting into what this thing can do?

Also any idea why this pops up every time I turn on Tone Studio even though the drivers and app are all the latest versions that I can find on the website?

That download page it sends me to is the page I got the software from in the first place.

I think you need to update the amp itself. Instructions on the website somewhere.

Justin guitar has some fun tones to download and great videos shared by another poster.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

The second hand shop has a Blackstar HT5 that from the photos looks almost new for £165. I'd guess I could haggle that down into my budget. Would that be a decent option as it's massively discounted Vs new ?
That little amp is a monster. It's one of the few things I kept after switching to modeling gear.

I love mine, and the clean tone ain't bad!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

luchadornado posted:

I'm questioning what I'm doing with my life as I'm starting to build my Tele-like partscaster. Adding a forearm contour to the body already felt shameful enough, but now I'm seriously considering a 24.75" scale length instead of the standard 25.5". Do I even like teles any longer?
I'm new enough to guitar that I'm still figuring out what I like in a guitar, and particularly my relationship with the Telecaster. I started out with a Tele and liked a lot about it, except I didn't think it was that comfortable, particularly while playing seated. Later on I got a HSS Strat (which I love), and then after that I built a Telemaster (Jazzcaster?) partscaster, and just like I hoped, it's like a Telecaster but way more comfortable to me. I like the simplicity of a block of wood plus a couple knobs and pickups... I'm just not sure I love the feel of the block of wood digging into my side and arm.

(I'm not sure I like the Jazzmaster-style body any more than my Strat, though, the strat might be my ideal shape. I did a mediocre job of applying a finish to this partscaster body, so every now and then I look at the Warmoth website and contemplate trying again someday, but gettin' real freaky and swapping out this body for one of their "Hybrid Strat" abominations.)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Fender needs to catch up with the 80s at least and offer a Jazzmaster with a double locking bridge so I can get a jazzmaster; if that’s too much work at least make a few more Strats with locking bridges.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Pat Metheny used an acoustic model 134 4x10 combo. I own one and it did have awesome cleans, but it sounded real angry last time I fired it up. I cleaned all the pots and jacks but it didn't fix it. It's just been sitting collecting dust for the last 2 years or so. I should probably just sell it for parts at this point.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

luchadornado posted:

Forearm contour on a Telecaster (ok Esquire, but close enough) was good enough for Jeff Beck, no shame there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E4ACHhD8tk

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I've also had thoughts of putting together a weird tele/strat hybrid. The strat body is more comfortable but I prefer the simplicity of the tele bridge and love the tele bridge pickup.

At some point I was eyeballing a G&L special order in a crazy lime green hot rod color as they'll do an ASAT with body bevels and I think they had a Nashville-style pickup setup, but I'm pretty attached to my Fender tele and didn't want to drop the cash on it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

I've also had thoughts of putting together a weird tele/strat hybrid. The strat body is more comfortable but I prefer the simplicity of the tele bridge and love the tele bridge pickup.

At some point I was eyeballing a G&L special order in a crazy lime green hot rod color as they'll do an ASAT with body bevels and I think they had a Nashville-style pickup setup, but I'm pretty attached to my Fender tele and didn't want to drop the cash on it.

I feel this
sometimes I even want to reduce it further. Get rid of the neck pick-up, tone knob, and selector altogether.

One pick-up, volume
that's all you need

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 19, 2023

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I think I'm fine with the tummy cut and the forearm cut.. I've been playing two guitars with 24.75" pretty extensively the last few weeks and picked up the tele last night and it just felt like pulling teeth. Even with 9s for strings. If I build it from Warmoth, it's not "really" a tele at that point anyways, but the scale length seems sacred to me for some weird reason.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I feel this
sometimes I even want to reduce it further. Get rid of the neck pick-up, tone knob, and selector altogether.

One pick-up, volume
that's all you need

I like having a neck pickup because I often want a clean sound that's not full-on country twang.

Now I'd love a superstrat with just a bridge pickup and an on-off toggle switch for the nights I just go "gently caress it, let's play some metal"

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Neck Pickup Best Pickup.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Southern Cassowary posted:

I have a weird tele/strat hybrid from Warmoth, and I can report that it seems pretty cool. It's too bad I managed to drop one of the control knobs onto the body during assembly and chip the paint near the bridge. The pickguard also looks a little wonky around the control plate because of a different mistake.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If someone's trying to buy my gear with a cashier's check it's like 100% a scam right

It feels like a scam

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Major Operation posted:

It's too bad I managed to drop one of the control knobs onto the body during assembly and chip the paint near the bridge.

you just pre-reliced it, it's cool now

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If someone's trying to buy my gear with a cashier's check it's like 100% a scam right

It feels like a scam

It's fine if you go to the bank with them while they do the withdrawal, since you're probably not an expert in identifying counterfeit cashier's checks. Easier/safer than handling a bunch of cash imo. I've sold cars that way.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

It feels like a scam

Using a fake cashier's check to buy something from someone you'll probably never see again is a scam people try, yeah.

A cashier's check is better than a personal check if it's real, but I don't know how you would tell that reliably. Many years ago I was late paying rent and had to get a cashier's check to pay with, but the leasing company wouldn't have had any trouble finding me if the check was fake.

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah hrmm, what a shame. Too many red flags.
I thought the buyer was some serendipitous individual who saw my listing and fell in love with the guitar right away but I guess it's just because it's relatively expensive.

I've never seen people bother trying to scam on reverb before. I guess it happens everywhere eventually.