Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kin posted:

I recently upgraded my home internet to a Gigabit fibre connection and speedtest.net shows that i can get 800Mb/s (or 100MB/s).

However, Steam on my main gaming PC only seems to be able to reach a consistent cap of 27MB/s, just a quarter of the speed.

It's so stable at this level that it makes me think something is capped somewhere, but I'm not sure where as my PC is getting the full connection speed.

Also, when i download something on my steam deck, it doesn't have this cap and instead gets somewhere up in the 70MB/s range (still not the max speed but it's better).

I'm in the UK on virgin media if that means anything to anyone. But i don't recall Steam doing something like this before. That being said, I've never had a connection this fast before either.

Does your Steam client on the Deck have a different download region than the desktop client?

It's in Settings - Downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Yami Fenrir posted:

Don't worry, it will never do anything nearly as cool ever again over the course of the game.

It's true, all of the neat and cool things are directly part of the gameplay after this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

it is funny that all my life the one thing i would rather grab a controller to play than use a keyboard would be a fighting game and yet apparently that's the trendy way to do it these days, they just call them "hitboxes"

Also aren't some contingent of fighting game nerds big mad about them for some reason?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Also aren't some contingent of fighting game nerds big mad about them for some reason?

i think some developers didn't account for them existing allowing you to hold back and forward at the same time which means you're like always blocking/charging moves

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jack Trades posted:

Does your Steam client on the Deck have a different download region than the desktop client?

It's in Settings - Downloads

Nah, they're both pointing to the same place and i tested switching the locations on my PC too, but the UK ones all come back capped at that 27MB

It wouldn't be a write speed to the hard drive limitation, would it? I'm sure standard HDD's have limits of 80MB/s+ but it's the only thing i can think of as being different unless the Virgin modem is somehow differentiating device types and throttling one over another somehow.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

John Murdoch posted:

Cowcaster posted:

i think some developers didn't account for them existing allowing you to hold back and forward at the same time which means you're like always blocking/charging moves

Yeah -- it's called Simultaneous Opposing Cardinal Directions and Hitbox has a big article explaining it here

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

so i did fire up mechwarrior 5 for the first time tonight and i do what i usually do when i don't want to spend an hour fiddling with graphics settings where i mash "optimize" on geforce experience and go from there, and i'll be damned if the thing didn't slam raytracing and its accoutrements up to maximum along with everything else. my performance, as you might expect, was abysmal. after flipping it off and keeping it everything else on max though, the game looks not particularly pretty. so a question for the fans in the thread, of which i know there's a few, am i missing out on something? is there a hot secret tip for running it with raytracing i should know about or is it just a performance trap like with everything else that implements it?

after noodling around with this a bit more last night i figured out specifically what was bothering me. the game as a whole looks fine, but having played mechwarrior online a bunch 10 years ago i remember what the autocannon and missile effects in that looked like, and in this game they look like i'm chucking flaming basketballs at things. it just seems like a really weird regression in quality, why didn't they just copy-paste "missile-vfx.jpg" from the game they made a decade earlier?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

after noodling around with this a bit more last night i figured out specifically what was bothering me. the game as a whole looks fine, but having played mechwarrior online a bunch 10 years ago i remember what the autocannon and missile effects in that looked like, and in this game they look like i'm chucking flaming basketballs at things. it just seems like a really weird regression in quality, why didn't they just copy-paste "missile-vfx.jpg" from the game they made a decade earlier?

Yeah, for a game that's ostensibly only like 4 years old, the presentation and graphics are weirdly limp and mediocre.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

deep dish peat moss posted:

in September Bioshock Infinite released a patch titled "Quality of Life Update" that literally did nothing except add a 3rd party launcher to the game and apparently make it crash constantly for everyone. There's a statement, from September, that says "EDIT: 2K are aware of possible impacts related to the recent update and working to resolve. Our player's experience is paramount, and we'll update our community with more information as it becomes available." but it looks like it's still not fixed :laugh:

Apparently the new 2K launcher is a huge pile of poo poo. I know Midnight Suns had a slew of performance issues (stuttering, bad fps, etc) that immediately disappeared if you disable the launcher. What a joke.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, for a game that's ostensibly only like 4 years old, the presentation and graphics are weirdly limp and mediocre.

see that itself doesn't even seem unusual for a mechwarrior game to me, battletech games in general have always felt like a smaller niche thing with lower budgets and weird one-off studios taking the wheel. it's more "hey, you figured out how to make things look better than this already, why do they look worse now so many years down the line?"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Age of Wonders 4 confirmed for May 2nd

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm also making the assumption that they've mostly reused everything from mechwarrior online to build mechwarrior 5 because that seems like the most logical thing for them to do in my mind but maybe they said gently caress it and rebuilt everything from the ground up, but worse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sinatrapod posted:

Wow, that's a name that hasn't been spoken since before the cooling of the Earth's crust. That dev may not be quick, but you gotta admit he's persistent.
black ice narrowly beats it out in the eternal development cycle

https://store.steampowered.com/app/311800/Black_Ice/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

it is funny that all my life the one thing i would rather grab a controller to play than use a keyboard would be a fighting game and yet apparently that's the trendy way to do it these days, they just call them "hitboxes"

I used to play a shitload of 2d fighters in MAME using a keyboard and I always felt like it was the best way to play, I could never comprehend how anyone could use something as imprecise as a stick for entering combos that need to be extremely precise, especially when keyboards exist and let you mechanically enter that qcf in a way that can't be goofed :sweatdrop:

Like a QCF on a keyboard is literally just: Press and hold Down, Press and hold Right, release finger from Down. But on a stick you might accidentally start with back-left instead of down or whatever or you might accidentally roll too far and go to up-right and jump instead of do your move. Or at least I do, as someone who rarely uses gamepads/sticks.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 19, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just got a notice that Rain World: Downpour is out today

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwySBvqbgc

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i'm also making the assumption that they've mostly reused everything from mechwarrior online to build mechwarrior 5 because that seems like the most logical thing for them to do in my mind but maybe they said gently caress it and rebuilt everything from the ground up, but worse

MWO has much better mechfeel than MW5 and I don't think any assets are reused between the games. For all the complaints about MWO, after bouncing off of MW5 I got kind of addicted to MWO for a while because it was the type of mech game I wanted, more of a simulation, less of an action arcade thing. But it didn't last long because unlocking new mechs is an enormous grind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also Secrets of Grindea is nearly finished. the devs are working on the final boss battle currently

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

adding to the list of 'Forspoken is clearly going to be GOTY', they didn't send SkillUp a reviewer key :laugh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kinda ran out of steam with MW5 after getting a couple Assault mechs, this updating coming out to coincide with the new DLC sounds great though. They're letting us upgrade the mechbay to hold up to 40 mechs now instead of being stuck with the default 12 (?) which is awesome. It was frustrating not being able to have a wider range of weight classes because doing the multi-missions requires backups so I wasn't able to have lighter mechs to take on smaller jobs as well as enough big heavy mechs to keep me going through a 3 length multi-mission job.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
MW5 is a bit uninspired maybe but I feel like the DLCs (or at least the systems introduced by the free patches) have overall been a plus for the game, and there's not much else in the realm that lets you first-person pilot a 'Mech and blow poo poo up :shrug:

Note I never played MWO so I'll never know how that comparison goes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not really complaining about the game itself, perfectly satisfied with that from the hour or so i've played, just how it looks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

victrix posted:

adding to the list of 'Forspoken is clearly going to be GOTY', they didn't send SkillUp a reviewer key :laugh:

They messed up and sent him a code for the prequel, Unspoken

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not really complaining about the game itself, perfectly satisfied with that from the hour or so i've played, just how it looks

Note that a lot of the little annoyances are addressed by Workshop mods :)

I think they finally let you go over tonnage in vanilla but that was one of the first mods I installed. Let me completely destroy the field with gigantic assault mechs if I want, I mean I got 'em, right??

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Cowcaster posted:

While I haven't played MWO, there's a MWO sound replacer mod that makes most weapons feel a lot meatier, although it still leaves some untouched for whatever reason. (most notably UAC's) And missiles still feel like you're flinging pool noodles unfortunately :/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah -- it's called Simultaneous Opposing Cardinal Directions and Hitbox has a big article explaining it here

That makes sense, but the anti-hitbox stuff I recall catching a whiff of was basically more along the lines of "this should be illegal in tournaments because it's different and I said so". But this was also years ago and I'm a complete outsider to the FG scene so I could be way off course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would like it if there were higher level/harder missions in MW5 that had lower tonnage for both you and enemies. Yeah I love my King Crab but I also love a good Blackjack or Warhammer but after a certain point taking those anywhere remotely difficult is a death sentence because you’re facing a dozen assaults.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

That makes sense, but the anti-hitbox stuff I recall catching a whiff of was basically more along the lines of "this should be illegal in tournaments because it's different and I said so". But this was also years ago and I'm a complete outsider to the FG scene so I could be way off course.

i think there's also a sentiment that it's straight up an unfair advantage, like putting up a person using a thumbstick against a person with a mouse in a first person shooter, but i cannot comment on that because i'm unfamiliar with fighting games and hitboxes and only draw from my experience with first person shooters

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kibayasu posted:

I would like it if there were higher level/harder missions in MW5 that had lower tonnage for both you and enemies. Yeah I love my King Crab but I also love a good Blackjack or Warhammer but after a certain point taking those anywhere remotely difficult is a death sentence because you’re facing a dozen assaults.

Yeah it seems like the mid to endgame is where the balance really kinda gets funky, and it's about where I tapped out on my last MW5 save to be honest.

I'll probably pick up the new DLC and start playing it again though! Worth it to at least stop having your allies bulldoze over buildings in defend missions, if the patch notes are to be trusted.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

victrix posted:

Grot Of The Year

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
there's certain things you can do with a hitbox that you can't with a stick or a d-pad, iirc it was some kind of super in street fighter that's possible to start on 4 frames instead of 5 but i can't remember the specifics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbf it may have specifically been the Melee scene reckoning with them so make of that what you will lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

The practical difference is fairly minimal, and very few pro players have choices to re-learn inputs and switch to them, but hitboxes theoretically do give you an advantage in that you can do inputs slightly cleaner and slightly faster.

John Murdoch posted:

Tbf it may have specifically been the Melee scene reckoning with them so make of that what you will lol

Smash players are notorious for being afraid of anything new and different and Melee players even more so. They're going to keep playing on their broken GC controllers until the whole scene dies out.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
everyone who plays smash competitively is deranged so i definitely believe they said some wild things about the hitbox.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kin posted:

I recently upgraded my home internet to a Gigabit fibre connection and speedtest.net shows that i can get 800Mb/s (or 100MB/s).

However, Steam on my main gaming PC only seems to be able to reach a consistent cap of 27MB/s, just a quarter of the speed.

What's your connection to the router like? It's possible for your local network to be a bottleneck.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Whoa, that's a pretty beefy expansion for 15 bux.

I feel compelled to give this game a fair shot now that they've added a bunch of accessibility features so that I can just sorta poke at the game's ecosystem.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Jack Trades posted:

The practical difference is fairly minimal, and very few pro players have choices to re-learn inputs and switch to them, but hitboxes theoretically do give you an advantage in that you can do inputs slightly cleaner and slightly faster.

Smash players are notorious for being afraid of anything new and different and Melee players even more so. They're going to keep playing on their broken GC controllers until the whole scene dies out.

Apparently there is a big market for custom GameCube controllers costing 100s of dollars. They are specially modded for SSBM and a quick google search shows they are selling for anywhere between $200 - $400.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Apparently there is a big market for custom GameCube controllers costing 100s of dollars. They are specially modded for SSBM and a quick google search shows they are selling for anywhere between $200 - $400.

Go on Etsy and you can buy resin cast replacements for Gamecube face buttons and thumbsticks for $$$

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah it seems like the mid to endgame is where the balance really kinda gets funky, and it's about where I tapped out on my last MW5 save to be honest.

I'll probably pick up the new DLC and start playing it again though! Worth it to at least stop having your allies bulldoze over buildings in defend missions, if the patch notes are to be trusted.

I’d say it’s less funky and more that it’s balanced toward assault mechs being what you are ultimately working toward which is fair enough because big stompy big shooty but basically being forced to ignore a huge chunk of the mech roster is not great imo. It’s a big reason why I really like the Kestrel Lancers DLC. Assuming you don’t reset the timeline with a completely built up company its time limit means your biggest mech might be a Banshee and then you have to back it up with stuff like Catapults, Phoenix Hawks, Blackjacks, or Jaegers. Maybe a Black Knight or hero variant if you’re particularly lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This seems to be messing up with transferring existing saves to their new location so if you're in the middle of the game you might lose progress. Might be caused by the update instead of the dlc, I dunno. They're working on it, probably.

You also can't select the new slugcats campaigns until you've completed the game as either the base white or yellow one, although you can just unlock all of them from the new accessibility/cheats menu if you want.

Also if youre using a currency other than like USDs or euros you might hold off on the dlc, regional pricing is real jacked up. They're working on that too.