Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Oh, I was also talking about the study Platystemon linked. However, skimming over the abstract of the new one, all it appears to be doing is restating the same information from the first study (that the mRNA vaccine are leading to a more pronounced shift to IgG4, while the adenovirus vaccines are not), plus a new posit we should test (that a broader immunity might be possible to achieve by mixing vaccine types, because that way you are triggering your immune system in a variety of ways instead of only one way). They're suggesting we might see better immunity if people get a mixture of mRNA and adenovirus vaccines instead of getting the same type every time we boost.

It's a hopeful article suggesting we might have more possibilities to explore with our vaccination program for even more robust immunity, not anything about how getting vaccines makes your immunity worse.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I love the way these authors tried their best to sugar coat it.

"these data shed light on these novel vaccine formats and might have potential implications for their long-term efficacy."

“Sugar coat” would be a really good pun, but I can’t give @nerdtechgasm credit for intentionality there.

I do not think that the authors are “sugar coating” concerns. You don’t write phrases like “linked to severe conditions in inflammatory (auto-) immune diseases” if you’re sugarcoating. You know that that’s a spicy one.

quote:

Agalactosylated (G0) IgG Abs have been linked to severe conditions in inflammatory (auto-) immune diseases, whereas IgG sialylation has been associated with a decreased affinity of IgG to classical activating FcyRs and lower or anti-inflammatory effects (21, 24, 36, 37, 44–52). The functional analysis of differently glycosylated IgG Abs is complex because single terminal glycan residues may in addition interact with glycan binding receptors, such as galectins, siglecs, and C-type lectin receptors (37, 44, 53–55). In vivo, immune inhibitory functions have been described for sialylated as well as terminally galactosylated antigen-specific and total IgG Abs (36, 44–48, 52, 54, 56). IgG Fc bisection is often increased in inflammatory autoimmune diseases (57). However, the biological significance of IgG bisection is less clear and remains to be investigated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: Disregard.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 15, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MikeC posted:

See above. Take your crusading somewhere else thanks.

It's not a loving culture war skirmish or a crusade, it's you refusing to provide your sources, apparently because you know there was a problem with them and wanted to make us rebut them anyway.

James Garfield posted:

The source for the claim about repeated doses of vaccines damaging the immune system seems to be this tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nerdtechgasm/status/1614202853387829249

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the 'vaccines actually harm your immune system' is a big tucker carlson thing in particular. Factcheck and others keep addressing it each time it pops up

eg https://www.factcheck.org/2022/07/scicheck-covid-19-vaccination-increases-immunity-contrary-to-immune-suppression-claims/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Anti-vaxx disinformation seems to be on an uptick at the moment after going reasonably dormant once mandates, etc. largely went away. Never mind that "a bloke on the BBC said" is not a valid scientific source, it's like in the absence of mandates or any requirement to get the vaccine, the people who are still against the vaccine for whatever reason, are desperate to be right. In the absence of actual problems, they are desperate to justify their previous choices and their hardships.

And that brings me to another point: all of this is being driven by a few cherry-picked experts with absolutely no consensus of published, peer-reviewed studies, and what studies they do lean on tend to be misinterpreted or at least not considered in full. To be honest, I don't think the average person who's not an expert in the relevant fields -- even if they are very intelligent otherwise -- is qualified to interpret a lot of these studies in any meaningful sense. Largely, what we've been seeing and what we are seeing is that the people who do have the required expertise are still broadly supportive of the vaccines, meanwhile people who are trying to work backward from "I don't like the vaccines, and I'm desperate to be justified in not liking the vaccines" are throwing around terms like "gene therapy", "spike protein", "mRNA" and such without the faintest loving idea what they mean.

You really can't argue against this line of thinking with data because it's magical thinking. They are quite sure the vaccine is bad, they will find a reason why, and disregard any suggestion they are incorrect. In contrast, I think it was a mistake to stop pushing pro-public-health propaganda to counterbalance the issue.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
All of these antivax takes, every single one without exception, is someone who comes to a conclusion (I don’t want to take the vaccine, its scary) and then justifies that conclusion secondly. Unfortunately well meaning people feel compelled to interact with these conclusion-first arguments as if they were something to be taken seriously when the best thing to do is brush these people off and don’t engage.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
Found this in a local news article today (translated from https://nos.nl/artikel/2459996-van-zero-covid-naar-vrijheid-een-persoonlijk-verslag-uit-china):

quote:

For almost three years I hardly knew anyone with corona in China. After that, just about everyone contracted the virus at the same time: I hardly know any people who have not been infected.

For the first time in China, it really makes sense to wear a face mask. It is the end of a dark age, the awakening from a bad dream. You are happy about the regained freedom.
For once I can understand the Chinese governments annoyance at everybody else. The west hasn't cared about Covid for the last two years, and 60.000 deaths in one month (which the above journalists implies is probably too low, since that number came from the Chinese government) is apparently the same as waking up from a bad dream, but now suddenly the possibility of a new variant is too scary so better ask everybody from China to do a test.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

MikeC posted:

I need someone with a medical background to parse this study for me if possible. Claims include "Don't take repeated doses of mRNA vaccines. It will mess up your immune system. (Over stimulates IgG4 leading to immuno-suppression effect)". I came across this from a twitter user who isn't psycho but is definitely on the don't vaccinate excessively side of the isle. Too much jargon in the article for me to parse the claim.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2022.1020844/full

Thanks in advance.
This tactic of people intentionally misrepresenting highly technical lab studies to jump to conclusions not actually supported by the authors themselves is getting pretty tiresome.

Fortunately in this case you don't really need to parse this study in depth to realize it does not claim what your Twitter user thinks it claims. The study merely says that people who received mRNA-based vaccines have higher levels of IgG4 antibodies compared to people who received adenovirus-based vaccines, that's it. The claim that this will then "mess up your immune system" appears to be speculation on the part of Mr. nerdtechgasm and is not supported by the study itself.

Pro-tip: if someone makes a bunch of sweeping claims about your immune system based solely on in-vitro analyses of blood samples you should ask yourself if there is any corresponding real-world epidemiological data to support their claim. For example: if repeated doses of mRNA vaccines will mess up your immune system then you might expect to see people who received three doses of an mRNA vaccine to have worse Covid outcomes compared to people who only received two doses. Is that what we see in the real world? Nope, people who have been boosted have much lower rates of hospitalization and death. You might also expect to see people who received mRNA-based vaccines to have worse Covid outcomes compared to people who received adenovirus-based vaccines. Is that what we see in the real world? Again, nope, rates of hospitalization and death are similar between the two.

Of course Mr. nerdtechgasm probably knows all this but doesn't give a poo poo because he's working backwards to justify his pre-existing opinions on vaccines and he knows he can get away with it because probably none of his followers are going to actually bother reading the study anyway.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

M31 posted:

Found this in a local news article today (translated from https://nos.nl/artikel/2459996-van-zero-covid-naar-vrijheid-een-persoonlijk-verslag-uit-china):

For once I can understand the Chinese governments annoyance at everybody else. The west hasn't cared about Covid for the last two years, and 60.000 deaths in one month (which the above journalists implies is probably too low, since that number came from the Chinese government) is apparently the same as waking up from a bad dream, but now suddenly the possibility of a new variant is too scary so better ask everybody from China to do a test.

60,000 deaths in one month is pretty low. The US has had 15k reported COVID deaths since Jan 14 ( https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklydeaths_select_00 ) which population adjusted is 62,000. New Zealand has had 202 deaths in the same time period, bringing it to 56k deaths per 1.4 billion people. France within the last month, around 3k deaths, or again around 60k deaths population-adjusted to China.

So that sounds reasonable, except that China has a naive population. So a more reasonable comparison is probably somewhere between the following two examples: within the first month after reopening in late March 2022, New Zealand had 439 deaths, or approximately 120k deaths if adjusted to China's population. For Hong Kong, they had 700 deaths in March 2022, which would be 1.4 million if adjusted to China's population.

It looks to me (and presumably other people) like China looked at how Western countries were doing currently, and copied their numbers. I'd honestly be surprised if anyone knows exactly, given that the COVID death certificate books are being cooked locally. I guess national statisticians in China may know the excess mortality rates.

China also makes everyone do a COVID test to arrive in China, so I don't get their whinging about people forcing arriving Chinese to take a COVID test. Oh no, someone is starting to do to you what you are already currently doing to them, such injustice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NoDamage posted:

This tactic of people intentionally misrepresenting highly technical lab studies to jump to conclusions not actually supported by the authors themselves is getting pretty tiresome.

Also: "hey, did you know that so-and-so got the vaccine and then died?" as if death from any cause was simply out of the question before the vaccine came around, and somehow it's robbed us of our immortality.

The irony is particularly amazing when you consider these people were the ones crowing about how all sorts of unrelated deaths were being reported as being due to COVID. I guess, just as with all rightwing brainworms, that was mainly projection.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Also: "hey, did you know that so-and-so got the vaccine and then died?" as if death from any cause was simply out of the question before the vaccine came around, and somehow it's robbed us of our immortality.

The irony is particularly amazing when you consider these people were the ones crowing about how all sorts of unrelated deaths were being reported as being due to COVID. I guess, just as with all rightwing brainworms, that was mainly projection.

It's not specifically"rightwing" brain worms to be honest. My wife works in an ecological transition NGO, and some of her colleagues and a lot of the regulars who turn up to her public events are infested with brainworms about vaccines causing immediate death. They are overwhelmingly leftists, with a significant number of extreme leftists, as in 'communism now' or 'anarchy now' style.

Also on the flip side, you have a lot of COVID-worrying people (I don't know a better term) to now be attributing issues like increased ICU usage and excess mortality beyond reported COVID deaths to be due to long COVID affecting up to 10% of the population. Like yeah it may be partially attributable to long COVID, but it could also be due to people not getting routine screening for cancer and other checkups for the past 3 years, due to hospital worker burnout, and due to - or more likely a combination of - a dozen factors. There's a lot of projection all around.

Maybe in the USA+Canada it is more left-vs-right wing, but in Europe I personally don't get that impression. I haven't seen any polling associations of voting block vs vaccination status here but I wouldn't take a bet on rightwing blocs being more anti-vaccine than leftwing blocs, especially since older people are much more likely to get vaccinated and younger people much more likely to vote green.

On that note, you previously wrote:

PT6A posted:

Largely, what we've been seeing and what we are seeing is that the people who do have the required expertise are still broadly supportive of the vaccines

I don't think that is any longer true if you are talking about 4th and 5th and continuing indefinitely booster shots. I did not get a 4th booster and will not get one unless I see some actual data about it being useful, and as far as I've seen the uptake of 4th boosters in Europe is very, very low. Anecdotally I also don't know anyone who has gotten a 4th booster, although people don't talk about COVID very much anymore. I thought the vaccines were great to start out, and I did get a third booster, but ever since the numbers last year started showing equal infection rates between boosted and non-boosted (and non-vaccinated for that matter), I was pretty over caring about future vaccinations unless someone develops one that specifically works on whatever current variant(s) are circulating.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anti-vaxx sentiment is probably the most ideologically neutral thing left in the US. Crystal hippie, couch surfing punk, affluent liberal at a $4000 yoga retreat, Generic Moderate, castle doctrine chud whose greatest desire is to kill someone and get away with it, with all of these you have a good chance of meeting one and them being anti-vaxx. I think a lot of it is just fear of shots (nasal spray and sugar cube vaccines dont meet the same resistance iirc) and people working backwards from that, but also anti-vaxxers click on ads and are good for engagement metrics so its spread is now partially automated as well.

The chuds and Qanon freaks will move on when they are instructed to move on by the Tuckers and Q Shamans of the world but that just means it returns to the baseline.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are many layers and sources to the antivaxx movement- I went into detail on this in some of my earlier effortposts. The massive politicization of antivaxx beliefs is very recent under Trump and I can't tell how effectively it will fade. Before that point it had onset from both the right and left fringe. The root cause of motivating a lot of root sources of antivaxx claims- the people who are actually, e.g., setting up websites and publishing books, whose work gets spread around elsewhere and perpetuates the belief system- is that they are selling some alternative treatment.

The incredible blossoming of the antivaxx movement under COVID-19 was, in many respects, driven by the fact that there are industries and business models (alt-med and, in particular, dietary supplements) which have an incentive to sell an alternative to vaccination. It's why I care so much about dietary supplement regulation- but for those preexisting marketplaces for fraud, there wouldn't have been so many people (and so much money) prepared to engage in antivax marketing and beliefs.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Platystemon posted:

I do not think that the authors are “sugar coating” concerns. You don’t write phrases like “linked to severe conditions in inflammatory (auto-) immune diseases” if you’re sugarcoating. You know that that’s a spicy one.

Would a responsible takeaway from this study be that this is something they should look into in the future? I read one of the posted twitter threads and one of the many unknowns in that thread was that we have never tried to do multiple vaccine doses so close together and maybe that was one reason for the response.

NoDamage posted:

Fortunately in this case you don't really need to parse this study in depth to realize it does not claim what your Twitter user thinks it claims. The study merely says that people who received mRNA-based vaccines have higher levels of IgG4 antibodies compared to people who received adenovirus-based vaccines, that's it. The claim that this will then "mess up your immune system" appears to be speculation on the part of Mr. nerdtechgasm and is not supported by the study itself.

Pro-tip: if someone makes a bunch of sweeping claims about your immune system based solely on in-vitro analyses of blood samples you should ask yourself if there is any corresponding real-world epidemiological data to support their claim. For example: if repeated doses of mRNA vaccines will mess up your immune system then you might expect to see people who received three doses of an mRNA vaccine to have worse Covid outcomes compared to people who only received two doses. Is that what we see in the real world? Nope, people who have been boosted have much lower rates of hospitalization and death. You might also expect to see people who received mRNA-based vaccines to have worse Covid outcomes compared to people who received adenovirus-based vaccines. Is that what we see in the real world? Again, nope, rates of hospitalization and death are similar between the two.

Of course Mr. nerdtechgasm probably knows all this but doesn't give a poo poo because he's working backwards to justify his pre-existing opinions on vaccines and he knows he can get away with it because probably none of his followers are going to actually bother reading the study anyway.

It is tiresome but I feel a responsible individual who comes across stuff like this should make a good-faith effort to understand what the linked study actually says so they can refute or qualify statements for themselves in the future instead of just choosing to be in one herd of sheep or the other. Obviously, in today's world, it is impossible to be an expert at everything, much less an expert in one thing, but dismissing the source of the claim and saying "nuh-uh" is not productive for oneself or society as a whole. The entire problem we have with this covid vaccine thing is that too many people refuse to sit down and do the hard work of trying to understand what is being presented to them in all its nuance and instead simply choose blind faith. It just becomes a matter of which altar you have chosen to place your allegiance in and it becomes a matter of ensuring you are right rather than actually finding out what is right. Of course, blind faith is a lot easier since you get to spend more of your free time watching the Karshasians or Monday Night Football instead of trying to go through a dense paper in field where you have no training in.

That is the reason why I posted that question the way I did. I almost certainly knew for a fact the claim at face value was false, but almost always there is some kernel of truth when such studies are linked with outrageous claims. My goal was to extract that small morsel but I lacked the technical knowledge to parse the study so I asked for help. I explicitly avoided mentioning the source precisely because I didn't care for a dissection of nerdtechgasm's personality, politics, views, and what-have-yous because frankly, it didn't matter to me and I knew it would draw the derails. I knew he was not a medical expert (he tweets about the semiconductor industry) so he was obviously out of his depth but I wanted to know precisely what was in there for him to link it.

PT6A posted:

In contrast, I think it was a mistake to stop pushing pro-public-health propaganda to counterbalance the issue.

I think this attitude is bad. Especially since you use the word propaganda. I know anecdotally that it was an overreach by media personalities and politicians in their messaging that directly contributed to vaccine hesitation in social circles I am a part of be it family or friends. A good example is the framing of why to take the vaccine. There was a big push early on that vaccination would mean that you would not be a carrier and thus protect others. You may know this clip for example https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1475193955704881152?s=20&t=V0e_pMhJ-zU6rBx41tZNDw where Maddow claims that if you are vaccinated then you can't be a carrier 'for sure' (paraphrasing). We know that obviously isn't true now but 'propaganda' which is what Maddow was spewing there was an awful lot like what Biden was saying in spring of '21 (patriotic duty to protect others etc). Then when the omicrom wave hit and it turns out the vaccines didn't do all that it was said to do, and talk of renewed lockdowns came about, public confidence in the entire system was hurt.

Whenever you lie, even through omission, those lies will eventually surface and will form the chains in which those who pedal in misinformation thrive. Indeed you can say what Maddow was doing was misinformation itself. In the end it just hurts the medical community and degrades trust in the authorities. Vaccine 'propaganda' had worked this time but imo, seeing the very real destruction in the credibility of the medical establishment in my own social circles leads me to believe it probably wasn't worth it. Whatever you gained out of COVID you are going to lose whenever the next pandemic comes around.

This isn't coming from an anti-vaxxer or someone who hangs out in such a circle. My mother would have never questioned medical authorities before covid. She duly got her first and second vaccinations as did I at the earliest availability but when promises are made and broken when the medical community and politicians weren't sure in the first place, it made her directly start looking online at counter claims which invariably led her to hardcore anti-vaxxer content. I am a natural skeptic at everything but she wasn't and there was a period of about a year when she didn't know who to trust. It took a lot of work by me to get her back onside for her booster shot when omicron came around and I read that mRNA efficacy might have waned by the time it was on the rise here in Canada. If we are going to live in a society that is supposedly free and democratic, then we ought to just release the whole ugly truth and accept that people will make mistakes or unwise decisions with that freedom. Trying to mask it only exacerbates issues down the road.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MikeC posted:

Would a responsible takeaway from this study be that this is something they should look into in the future? I read one of the posted twitter threads and one of the many unknowns in that thread was that we have never tried to do multiple vaccine doses so close together and maybe that was one reason for the response.

Are you leaving something out of this claim? Because what you've said here is blatantly incorrect. Giving multiple vaccine doses less than a year apart is incredibly common and routine. In the US, children get three doses of diptheria vaccine within six months of birth, a fourth one six to nine months later, and one more before they enter school.

Even among adults, it's not uncommon to have short periods of time between doses. For the HPV or Hepatitis B vaccines, for instance, doses are generally separated by only a few weeks.

And that is why people want to see the source you're getting this from. Because you admitted you don't understand the paper yourself, and are instead taking someone else's word for what it means. If that someone else is saying blatantly false bullshit that falls apart at even the slightest examination, then we don't need to exert ourselves trying to interpret a very difficult and highly technical study - we can just say "hey, you probably shouldn't believe this bullshit peddler's interpretation of studies".

MikeC posted:

It is tiresome but I feel a responsible individual who comes across stuff like this should make a good-faith effort to understand what the linked study actually says so they can refute or qualify statements for themselves in the future instead of just choosing to be in one herd of sheep or the other. Obviously, in today's world, it is impossible to be an expert at everything, much less an expert in one thing, but dismissing the source of the claim and saying "nuh-uh" is not productive for oneself or society as a whole. The entire problem we have with this covid vaccine thing is that too many people refuse to sit down and do the hard work of trying to understand what is being presented to them in all its nuance and instead simply choose blind faith. It just becomes a matter of which altar you have chosen to place your allegiance in and it becomes a matter of ensuring you are right rather than actually finding out what is right. Of course, blind faith is a lot easier since you get to spend more of your free time watching the Karshasians or Monday Night Football instead of trying to go through a dense paper in field where you have no training in.

That is the reason why I posted that question the way I did. I almost certainly knew for a fact the claim at face value was false, but almost always there is some kernel of truth when such studies are linked with outrageous claims. My goal was to extract that small morsel but I lacked the technical knowledge to parse the study so I asked for help. I explicitly avoided mentioning the source precisely because I didn't care for a dissection of nerdtechgasm's personality, politics, views, and what-have-yous because frankly, it didn't matter to me and I knew it would draw the derails. I knew he was not a medical expert (he tweets about the semiconductor industry) so he was obviously out of his depth but I wanted to know precisely what was in there for him to link it.

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense. Do you pull the blueprints of a structure and run the engineering calculations to ensure it can support its own weight and the weight of everything likely to be inside/atop it before you dare to approach it yourself? I certainly hope not - it would make it very difficult to live life. Instead, I presume that you trust the trained expert architects and engineers who designed the structure, as well as the licensing authorities that approved the plans. That's no different from the "blind faith" you're talking about here. Another word for it, incidentally, is "trust". Because society can't work without trust.

The problem is not the use of "blind faith", the problem is who people choose to have faith in. Some people are choosing to trust the weight of hundreds of years of medical knowledge, as represented by doctors and public health authorities all over the world. Others are choosing to trust in fascist talkshow hosts who insist that COVID is a myth made up by Those People to destroy America, and then running off to the local bar to practice working "unvaxxed sperm" and "purebloods" into their pickup lines. These two are very different groups, and both-sidesing it as "blind faith" is ridiculous.

False claims don't necessarily have a kernel of truth. That's a very pre-escalator way of thinking. People can - and do - straight-up lie about things now! We're in the era of "alternative facts" now, people don't give a poo poo about being caught in a lie anymore because they've cultivated an audience who don't believe lies are a real thing.

If you know NerdTechGasm is not a medical expert and doesn't understand the studies, then why are you looking to them for info about COVID studies? If you're so insistent about Doing Your Own Research, go read the medical journals directly yourself, instead of looking to random Twitter users to point you to the latest skeptic fads. You're decrying us as having "blind faith" in doctors and public health professionals, while you're taking advice from someone dubbed "NerdTechGasm". And not only is NerdTechGasm not a medical expert, but from a quick skim of their timeline, they're a full-on antivaxxer who thinks that COVID is mild and easily curable with ivermectin and zinc supplements, and also appears to believe that we would already have reached natural herd immunity if not for the COVID vaccines, which they have long insisted are the actual killer. They also believe that COVID was intentionally created by Fauci, and that Fauci also directly benefits from the COVID vaccine. On top of that, they appear to believe the vaccine is the cornerstone of some scheme by Big Government to destroy our freedoms and turn the entire world into a communist surveillance state. That's a prime example of why their other tweets matter to the accuracy of this particular tweet.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

...they're a full-on antivaxxer who thinks that COVID is mild and easily curable with ivermectin and zinc supplements

Ahahahahahahahaha, getting all spun up because of a horse paste enthusiast (who isn't a horse, themselves)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MikeC posted:

It’s not so much that people have never been repeatedly vaccinated as it is that rarely has anyone bothered to break down IgG subclasses. Even the studies that do break down subclasses don’t necessarily look into IgG4.

Irrgang et al. did their own serology on people with repeated tetanus vaccination and on (presumably) repeated RSV infection, and they compare their own work on bnt162b2 (Pfizer) vaccinees with a couple other papers on ChAdOx1 (AstraZeneva) vaccinees. Viral vector vaccines of any kind in humans are brand new, first administered to the public in 2019 for Ebola. So these comparisons are thin and all kinds of apples to oranges.

https://doi.org/10.1126/sciimmunol.ade2798 posted:

Generally, IgG4 responses have been rarely observed even after repeated immunizations or infections. To corroborate this, we analyzed tetanus-specific antibody responses in 23 volunteers who had received several doses (2–16, median 6) of a tetanus toxoid (TT) vaccine (Table S3). Sera were tested for TT-specific total IgG or IgG4 antibodies using an ELISA format. TT-specific IgG4 were detectable in 9 of 23 sera, albeit at very low levels, and no correlation was found with the number of vaccinations received (Fig. S5A, B). Additionally, we tested ten individuals from our cohort 2 (Table 1) for the presence of antibodies against the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), a respiratory pathogen that regularly causes re-infections in humans. While we found RSV-F protein-specific IgG1 antibodies in all tested sera, IgG4 was not detected (Fig. S5C). These findings support the notion that class-switching to IgG4 is not a general consequence of repeated antigen exposure in form of vaccinations or infections.

People have historically also been repeatedly revaccinated against smallpox. During the eradication campaign, this could be twice per year, and of course their immune response may also be shaped by whatever exposure they had to variola virus in the field. It would be interesting to know what their IgG subclasses looked like throughout that process, but with smallpox eradicated almost half a century in the past, this data does not exist.

There are still people out there who get revaccinated against smallpox every two years. These are people who work in labs where monkeypox virus (MPXV) is handled. There are only a few thousand such lab workers in the U.S., but theoretically you could get them to sign on to a study.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you leaving something out of this claim?

I can't find the exact tweet at the moment, it was clearly me paraphrasing something longer. If I find it again I will edit it.

Main Paineframe posted:

Because you admitted you don't understand the paper yourself, and are instead taking someone else's word for what it means.

Hang on a sec, I wasn't going to engage any further on this but at what point did I do this? At no point did I even come close to saying or insinuating I believed what he tweeted. Since I have to take people's word for what it means, I went the route of sourcing other people, such as this thread to try and understand it better and it definitely helped along with a twitter thread by an author of a study that did something similar. Are you saying that I was wrong to even ask about the contents of this study merely because it was linked to nerdtechgasm's twitter account?

You sir are once again the hero. Appreciate the followup.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MikeC posted:

I can't find the exact tweet at the moment, it was clearly me paraphrasing something longer. If I find it again I will edit it.

Hang on a sec, I wasn't going to engage any further on this but at what point did I do this? At no point did I even come close to saying or insinuating I believed what he tweeted. Since I have to take people's word for what it means, I went the route of sourcing other people, such as this thread to try and understand it better and it definitely helped along with a twitter thread by an author of a study that did something similar. Are you saying that I was wrong to even ask about the contents of this study merely because it was linked to nerdtechgasm's twitter account?

You hid where you got it from to force us to engage with it, then attacked and dismissed explanations or scrutiny.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MikeC posted:

I think this attitude is bad. Especially since you use the word propaganda. I know anecdotally that it was an overreach by media personalities and politicians in their messaging that directly contributed to vaccine hesitation in social circles I am a part of be it family or friends. A good example is the framing of why to take the vaccine. There was a big push early on that vaccination would mean that you would not be a carrier and thus protect others. You may know this clip for example https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1475193955704881152?s=20&t=V0e_pMhJ-zU6rBx41tZNDw where Maddow claims that if you are vaccinated then you can't be a carrier 'for sure' (paraphrasing). We know that obviously isn't true now but 'propaganda' which is what Maddow was spewing there was an awful lot like what Biden was saying in spring of '21 (patriotic duty to protect others etc). Then when the omicrom wave hit and it turns out the vaccines didn't do all that it was said to do, and talk of renewed lockdowns came about, public confidence in the entire system was hurt.

Whenever you lie, even through omission, those lies will eventually surface and will form the chains in which those who pedal in misinformation thrive. Indeed you can say what Maddow was doing was misinformation itself. In the end it just hurts the medical community and degrades trust in the authorities. Vaccine 'propaganda' had worked this time but imo, seeing the very real destruction in the credibility of the medical establishment in my own social circles leads me to believe it probably wasn't worth it. Whatever you gained out of COVID you are going to lose whenever the next pandemic comes around.

This isn't coming from an anti-vaxxer or someone who hangs out in such a circle. My mother would have never questioned medical authorities before covid. She duly got her first and second vaccinations as did I at the earliest availability but when promises are made and broken when the medical community and politicians weren't sure in the first place, it made her directly start looking online at counter claims which invariably led her to hardcore anti-vaxxer content. I am a natural skeptic at everything but she wasn't and there was a period of about a year when she didn't know who to trust. It took a lot of work by me to get her back onside for her booster shot when omicron came around and I read that mRNA efficacy might have waned by the time it was on the rise here in Canada. If we are going to live in a society that is supposedly free and democratic, then we ought to just release the whole ugly truth and accept that people will make mistakes or unwise decisions with that freedom. Trying to mask it only exacerbates issues down the road.

Yes, the problem with the information pushed by people like Maddow is it was fanciful and lovely. I absolutely don't disagree. I'm not saying anyone should lie or misrepresent the truth.

Propaganda is a media technique, and we in the west were quite fond of it before we lost our minds. It doesn't necessarily involve spreading any lies at all. Remember "when you ride alone, you ride with Hitler" or "loose lips sink ships" or even "Keep Calm and Carry On"?

The issue with the deranged narrative that the vaccine will get everything back to normal is that is was fundamentally a lie. We had real-world results saying that this vaccine didn't provide sterilizing immunity, and I think we're all pretty clear on that. It still provides excellent protection against severe illness, and we do have evidence for that. That's where propaganda techniques come in. Should we not be thrilled with the efficacy of the vaccines even if they're less than perfect? I mean, holy poo poo, lets shout that poo poo from the rooftops.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MikeC posted:

You sir are once again the hero. Appreciate the followup.

Instead of spending your time hunting for the tweet, I'd much prefer to see you address the sentence immediately after the one you quoted. You know, the sentences where I pointed out that the claim you were making was blatantly false, and then followed it up by providing specific examples with a source. I don't really care that you got the claim from a tweet originally, nor do I care that you may have misunderstood the tweet. I'm responding to the post that you made based on your interpretation of the knowledge you gathered, and I hoped you would apply that

As for whether you believe nerdtechgasm, I'll tell you this much: If a random nobody flat-Earther on Twitter cites a study and claims it verifies flat-Earther claims regarding the shape of the Earth, I wouldn't give that study the time of day. If you thought the claims were worthy of further investigation, it was because you thought there was at least some credibility to them. As I said to you previously (and you completely ignored):

Main Paineframe posted:

What makes you think that the Twitter user in question has the expertise to parse the article?

If the authors had the evidence to back up such a bold and important claim, they likely would have said it directly instead of burying it in jargon. Failing that, someone with actual medical expertise almost certainly would have picked up on such a significant claim and disseminated it in laymen's terms.

If someone actually had serious evidence that mRNA boosters were destroying people's immune systems, I can absolutely guarantee that you wouldn't have to hear it from some random Twitter user who posts all day about "excessive vaccination".

If you can't understand what's in the study, why do you think this other person can understand it any better than you can? And if you don't think they understand it better than you, then why would you bother to investigate further based solely on their claims?

And yes, that's absolutely what's happening, even if you don't admit it. From what you've described so far, the only reason you looked at the study in the first place was because you saw the claims in the tweet and thought they were credible enough to check for yourself. And even when you couldn't understand the study yourself, you still believed (based solely on the claims in the original tweet) that it was worthy of further investigation.

I don't really want to be an rear end, but you came in here asking us to verify for you whether an article matched what you said some random Twitter user was claiming it said. And then when people asked you more about the tweet, you accused them of turning it into a "culture war skirmish" and asked them to "take their crusading somewhere else". You then followed it up by accusing us of being "sheep" who put "blind faith" in doctors and health authorities. Is it any wonder people are annoyed?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Main Paineframe posted:

Instead of spending your time hunting for the tweet, I'd much prefer to see you address the sentence immediately after the one you quoted. You know, the sentences where I pointed out that the claim you were making was blatantly false, and then followed it up by providing specific examples with a source. I don't really care that you got the claim from a tweet originally, nor do I care that you may have misunderstood the tweet. I'm responding to the post that you made based on your interpretation of the knowledge you gathered, and I hoped you would apply that

I paraphrased incorrectly. I'll own that 100%. It is amazing to me though how your response to that question differs so sharply from Platystemon's response who clearly understood the crux of what I was asking about (IgG response), corrected me with the applicable information while answering in a helpful fashion to help laymen come to grips with that study. You on the other hand have in the past 3 posts contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion other than to try to find any fault at all with my motives for understanding this study and indeed try to gatekeep by saying you don't understand it, why bother finding out any more about it. What kind of hosed up attitude is that?[/quote]

Main Paineframe posted:

If you can't understand what's in the study, why do you think this other person can understand it any better than you can? And if you don't think they understand it better than you, then why would you bother to investigate further based solely on their claims?

So I should never click on any article/journal referenced in a tweet solely because the guy who tweeted might not understand it either or might harbour controversial views? I'll ask again. What kind of hosed up attitude is that?

You see what I want to do is if I ever come across another person using that study or something similar to say mRNA vaccines destroy your immune system due to IgG responses, I want something better than just to screech "nuh-uh, I trust my health professionals more than I do you". I want to be able to say, 'I recall someone else making that claim using a reference similar to this and when I investigated further, knowledgeable people explained why that was not the case and how that study could have been misinterpreted'. Thanks to posters that are not you, I have a handy link to a twitter thread of a similar study talking about similar things with the author in laymen's language telling us what is actually going on and how it can be misinterpreted.

Do you know how I came around to this kind of approach? That's the kind of thing I had to do for close to a year before I got my mother to take the booster. I had to ask her why she felt the way she did, read the things that she read and then go out and find out what some those studies actually said and talk it over with her.

Now that I think of it, maybe you are right, I should have just yelled at her, called her stupid, asked her why she was looking up stupid tweets and articles while providing no substantive information myself. Yes I am sure that would have worked out much better.

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't really want to be an rear end, but you came in here asking us to verify for you whether an article matched what you said some random Twitter user was claiming it said. And then when people asked you more about the tweet, you accused them of turning it into a "culture war skirmish" and asked them to "take their crusading somewhere else". You then followed it up by accusing us of being "sheep" who put "blind faith" in doctors and health authorities. Is it any wonder people are annoyed?

Bolded for emphasis. I have carefully reread all my posts these past 2 days and at no point in time have I accused anyone in this thread of being sheep. Please quote exactly where I have accused/stated/implied so.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I have a friend who has gone down the covid doomer rabbit hole and I find myself spending significant amounts of time refuting his bullshit, especially in online group chats we're both a part of.

Examples:

Covid destroys your immune system and lowers your T-cell count, which makes you more susceptible to both covid and other diseases, which basically means covid is airborne AIDS

I'd bet a tenner he follows "fitterhappieraj" aka Anthony J Leonardi on Twitter where at lot of this poo poo seems to come from. I had to do a lot of digging on Reddit to find someone with sense talking about him (wading through a lot of results that are automated reposts of clickbait articles or doomer subs) but essentially after finding some more scientific corners you find that most of the more scientifically minded consider him a crank. One who whenever he finds something that vaguely supports his view is all "See! You all called me crazy but I was right all along!" and thinks he's the next Galileo, mocked by the world for telling a truth as obvious as the earth not being flat.

Problem is a lot of crap gets posted under the comments for his tweets and heavily liked/retweeted that he isn't necessarily saying but doesn't challenge. Could be that it does cause some T cell depletion in some cases and have a link to "Long Covid" and that he's making reasonable speculations (albeit just that, speculations, and written in an alarmist and arrogant way) but it's almost like he encourages the comments saying "hey it's airborne HIV/AIDS and we're all going to be dead in 10 years".

He did eventually address the countless people commenting underneath his threads saying "the vaccine looks like the virus and so kills the T cells too, therefore vaccines are bad" but not before probably thousands of people had been turned antivax.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

GargleBlaster posted:

I'd bet a tenner he follows "fitterhappieraj" aka Anthony J Leonardi on Twitter where at lot of this poo poo seems to come from. I had to do a lot of digging on Reddit to find someone with sense talking about him (wading through a lot of results that are automated reposts of clickbait articles or doomer subs) but essentially after finding some more scientific corners you find that most of the more scientifically minded consider him a crank. One who whenever he finds something that vaguely supports his view is all "See! You all called me crazy but I was right all along!" and thinks he's the next Galileo, mocked by the world for telling a truth as obvious as the earth not being flat.

Problem is a lot of crap gets posted under the comments for his tweets and heavily liked/retweeted that he isn't necessarily saying but doesn't challenge. Could be that it does cause some T cell depletion in some cases and have a link to "Long Covid" and that he's making reasonable speculations (albeit just that, speculations, and written in an alarmist and arrogant way) but it's almost like he encourages the comments saying "hey it's airborne HIV/AIDS and we're all going to be dead in 10 years".

He did eventually address the countless people commenting underneath his threads saying "the vaccine looks like the virus and so kills the T cells too, therefore vaccines are bad" but not before probably thousands of people had been turned antivax.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Blank post there fella

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
we don't particularly need emptyquotes or backseat moderation in this thread, just report it, there are at least three mods who read this thread closely and it's slow-moving so it won't be missed

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

GargleBlaster posted:

While he's an annoying poster with a victim complex, I follow him because he was right about mutations avoiding any sort of "hybrid immunity" back when that was the big hope.

He also appears to be correct about T-Cell exhaustion, (pre-print alert)
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.01.16.23284612v1

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GargleBlaster posted:

Blank post there fella

It's been years since I've seen a probe for emptyquote or :effort:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

GargleBlaster posted:

but essentially after finding some more scientific corners you find that most of the more scientifically minded consider him a crank.

Could you share who these 'scientifically minded' people are, and what their credentials are?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Assuming this is the same Anthony J Leonardi, he does not seem to be involved in covid research (the 7 publications are opinion articles and an open letter he signed) or to have a background in infectious diseases. It's not obvious to me why that would be the go to covid expert, I mean there are immunologists who study covid with twitter accounts.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 19, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fansy posted:

He also appears to be correct about T-Cell exhaustion, (pre-print alert)
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.01.16.23284612v1

Can you explain why he's right? Does that preprint support his claims of repeated covid infections leading to permanent T-cell depletion and resulting immunodeficiency?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Fansy posted:

he was right about mutations avoiding any sort of "hybrid immunity" back when that was the big hope.
There's a bunch of research which shows hybrid immunity to be effective though.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's not my field so I can't say, but when media-friendly scientists were saying the pandemic was ending, he was pushing back and I took note.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Leonardi was one of the accounts that was previously discussed in this and prior thread iterations as completely without credibility.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm not sure what's to be gained by (re)-litigating the qualifications of a Twitter personality that might be the source of some COVID takes that were discussed itt weeks ago. Leonardi doesn't appear to do any original research on COVID (his publications on COVID are all opinion pieces) and was only brought up in this thread as a guess for the original source of a laundry list of COVID takes that I'm pretty confident didn't come from OP's "friend" but was in fact bait to try and pick an internet argument.

So it seems like we're discussing Leonardi's qualifications to post Twitter hot takes because he might be the source of a bunch of Twitter hot takes posted itt as bait. Let's maybe discuss something more productive?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

James Garfield posted:

Assuming this is the same Anthony J Leonardi, he does not seem to be involved in covid research (the 7 publications are opinion articles and an open letter he signed) or to have a background in infectious diseases. It's not obvious to me why that would be the go to covid expert, I mean there are immunologists who study covid with twitter accounts.

His research background is in T-cells and he writes about T-cells. A lot of infectious disease experts focused on things like STDs yet were taken seriously on this airborne infectious disease (so long as their research was sound) so I don't see what the issue is.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
He hasn't published any original research since his 2018 PhD dissertation on cancer immunotherapy. Everyone with expertise tangentially related to COVID was chasing COVID stuff for clout or funding, a T-cell immunologist posting Twitter hot takes and opinion pieces on COVID is not all that remarkable.

And again, the only reason we're talking about a Twitter personality is because one poster suggested he was the source of a bunch of hot takes in an obvious bait post from weeks ago.

The entire chain of discussion is basically arguing about whose Twitter faves have the correct takes and it's pretty crap. Please drop it, thanks.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What sort of precautions are you folks still taking, if any?

I'm avoiding indoor restaurants, but other than that my life has returned to normal save for the mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I wear mask to medical facilities and public transportation, but that’s it.