Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Smik posted:

Well you see Queasy, the game opens up with several paragraphs about how life is difficult, harsh, unfair and so forth. Someday when you have enough life experience you'll realize this is old news, and then you might also feel that the game tends to indirectly talk down to the player a lot in other situations within the narrative.

See...the story has a narrative that eventually explains why you, as the player character, have gotten so completely wasted that you've forgotten who you are. Why your suffering has reached such a low that you are trying to destroy yourself.

But you have to actually play through the game.

Don't judge a book by its cover and all that. You judged a story based on its first page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

itry posted:

Yeah I don't see what's pretentious about DE.

It might be hidden under the brick-stupid takes, but it's there. I almost quit after meeting that character introduced solely to provide the dialogue tree to present an unreasonable text wall of the designers' tedious world views, formatted like a tumblr post (*).

It is interesting to see the process though. Just take a very simple idea, throw out the subtext, turn it all into way too much actual text, and then you'll have a Dunning-Kruger-themed fan club. They'll think anyone who doesn't like the thing is dumb and tell you that you need a very high IQ to enjoy it. It creates the world's saddest in-group. Then comes the embarrassing fan art and subcultures, and maybe they even post on social media in the voice of the characters. This is a labored Rick and Morty comparison by the way. Disco Elysium is Rick and Morty. The only difference is the game wasn't successful enough for much embarrassing merch, which is sad because I would kill for Kim's jacket

(*) I know this in no way narrows down which character I'm talking about

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

It might be hidden under the brick-stupid takes, but it's there. I almost quit after meeting that character introduced solely to provide the dialogue tree to present an unreasonable text wall of the designers' tedious world views, formatted like a tumblr post (*).

It is interesting to see the process though. Just take a very simple idea, throw out the subtext, turn it all into way too much actual text, and then you'll have a Dunning-Kruger-themed fan club. They'll think anyone who doesn't like the thing is dumb and tell you that you need a very high IQ to enjoy it. It creates the world's saddest in-group. Then comes the embarrassing fan art and subcultures, and maybe they even post on social media in the voice of the characters. This is a labored Rick and Morty comparison by the way. Disco Elysium is Rick and Morty. The only difference is the game wasn't successful enough for much embarrassing merch, which is sad because I would kill for Kim's jacket

(*) I know this in no way narrows down which character I'm talking about

You can actually buy Kim's jacket. It's crazy expensive.

https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/kims-aerostatic-pilot-jacket

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Disco Pope posted:

You can actually buy Kim's jacket. It's crazy expensive.

https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/kims-aerostatic-pilot-jacket

You can?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Sure. If you want to look like a binoclard

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Smik posted:

I apologize.

I've been in a bad frame of mind for the past few days and just came in here looking for a fight for God knows what reason. You didn't do anything to deserve that and neither did anyone else and I'm sorry.

Sometimes it's hard to like things :glomp:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Disco Elysium is definitely pretentious. The definition of pretentious is "thinks it's more important than it is".

That doesn't mean it isn't good

The band Godspeed You! Black Emperor (buraku emperoru) is extremely pretentious, or at least they were on their old albums. One album had a hand drawn chart showing how the four major record labels are connected to companies that make missiles and bombs and this is presented as some kind of gotcha or revelation lol

Stop using pretentious as an insult it just isn't one as a matter of fact

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

precision posted:

Stop using pretentious as an insult it just isn't one as a matter of fact

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I've stopped using the word pretentious in high school because I no longer understood what it even means

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vic posted:

I've stopped using the word pretentious in high school because I no longer understood what it even means

An essay on the development of the atomic bomb and subsequent nuclear proliferation: Not pretentious

A mediocre children's platformer video game with terrible art claiming to be the same thing: Pretentious

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vic posted:

These days it means someone is mad because someone else has read a book besides Harry Potter (the Calvin & Hobbes of literature).

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I loving love pretentious poo poo. I don't understand why people don't. It's fun as gently caress.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Don't bother pointing out flaws in the system unless you have a feasible way to fix them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

These days it means someone is mad because someone else has read a book besides Harry Potter (the Calvin & Hobbes of literature).

The idea that reading books other than Harry Potter is intellectual is pretentious.

Cedarbridge
Feb 21, 2011

If you can't fix my problems then I don't want to hear which ones I have.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

The idea that reading books other than Harry Potter is intellectual is pretentious.

It's not that reading books other than Harry Potter is intellectual, it's that reading only Harry Potter is not intellectual. Reading only Warhammer 40k novels is not intellectual, either

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Manager Hoyden posted:

An essay on the development of the atomic bomb and subsequent nuclear proliferation: Not pretentious

A mediocre children's platformer video game with terrible art claiming to be the same thing: Pretentious

:hmmyes:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

MOT

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I still don't get it.

Cedarbridge
Feb 21, 2011

Vic posted:

I still don't get it.

That's how you know its pretentious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vic posted:

I still don't get it.

This isn't e/n :rimshot:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This topic appears to be very contentious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The original is the best arrangement and execution of the Legend of Zelda theme.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

itry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbZzVpFblM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

itry posted:

There once was a game 'twas pretentious
Popularity? Quite contentious!
It concerned commies and cops,
And your partner? The tops!
"It's cool and good" was the consensus

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread is good but most of the general threads in the game forum are bad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

This thread is good but most of the general threads in the game forum are bad.

An unpopular but correct post

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

An unpopular but correct post

Is it actually unpopular? I feel like there's a silent consensus on it being true

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gaius Marius posted:

Is it actually unpopular? I feel like there's a silent consensus on it being true

We don't say it out loud

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The original is the best arrangement and execution of the Legend of Zelda theme.

yes but this one is still a jam https://theoneups.bandcamp.com/track/bossa-de-link-the-legend-of-zelda-2

v nah i just heard it the other day and liked it so it was at the front of my mind. everyone knows the best arrangements of the zelda theme are on overlooked remix

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 19, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: is that sincerely the best rendition youäve heard apart from the original?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

precision posted:

The band Godspeed You! Black Emperor (buraku emperoru) is extremely pretentious, or at least they were on their old albums. One album had a hand drawn chart showing how the four major record labels are connected to companies that make missiles and bombs and this is presented as some kind of gotcha or revelation lol

I have never heard of this band but I know from the name they will awful

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
They’re like post rock I think? Idk. I haven’t listened and don’t care because of their real bad name. Anyway disco Elysium rules.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if boring post rock counts as pretentious I put forward Explosions in the Sky

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More like g chords in the sleeping bag

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
if we're talkin about that kind of spaced out 2 AM music then Stars of the Lid is the best by far. I don't think they're pretentious though. Their first album is called Music For Nitrous Oxide, and that's not very pretentious. pretty straightforward actually
but to talk about video games, I think the Dead Space remake is going to be really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

if we're talkin about that kind of spaced out 2 AM music then Stars of the Lid is the best by far. I don't think they're pretentious though. Their first album is called Music For Nitrous Oxide, and that's not very pretentious. pretty straightforward actually
but to talk about video games, I think the Dead Space remake is going to be really good.

Stars of the lid are amazing yep... still listen to them all the time

Labradford was the best of them all

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

precision posted:

There once was a game 'twas pretentious
Popularity? Quite contentious!
It concerned commies and cops,
And your partner? The tops!
"It's cool and good" was the consensus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I don't want to necessarily poo poo on the fans of story heavy games as those games aren't really for me. But goddamn are they serious about spreading hyperbolic praise on their darlings.

See: Disco Elysium, Undertale, Outer Wilds, Planescape, etc