Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I think they just did it because everyone else did and they are paranoid. In reality no one cares.

Their Prius sales have been declining since 2017, enough people care that they felt like they had to do this now that they're competing with EVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I think with the market being so diversified now all the pointing at Tesla going "it does 60 in 3.2 seconds" is kind of sad.
This is a car forum. Most of us like to go fast.

One of the selling points of EVs is supposed to be "goes fast" to make up for some of the tradeoffs. So far it seems only Lucid and Tesla have figured out how to have go-fast and also 300+ miles of range.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The F-150 Lightning can do both of those things, Rivian too.

Edit: Ford says the Lightning does a 4.5 0-60 time but people testing it out get under 4.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 19, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also the Hummer EV

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sorry, it's true I haven't really been looking at trucks and SUVs (because they suck and 90% of their owners don't actually need the utility)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sorry, it's true I haven't really been looking at trucks and SUVs (because they suck and 90% of their owners don't actually need the utility)
Sounds like you need a crossover, buddy :c00lbert:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Okay. What percent of owners need 0-60 under 7 seconds

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is a car forum and most of us like having utility

Edit: Oh, and the Lyriq

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 19, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Infinotize posted:

Okay. What percent of owners need 0-60 under 7 seconds
What percent of owners are going to use the HP to say, pass on the highway or merge, versus what percent of truck owners use it for anything other than driving to and from Cheesecake Factory

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My hybrid F-150 has a 5.3 0-60 and lots of utility.

Do I use either while hauling groceries in suburban Florida traffic?

No.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

0-60 is important.

The Audi etron SUV feels slow.

The BMW i4 does not.

Separately, the Jaguar iPace SUV has wishy-washy brakes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zero One posted:

My hybrid F-150 has a 5.3 0-60 and lots of utility.

Do I use either while hauling groceries in suburban Florida traffic?

No.
Suburban Florida would give you the opportunity to take advantage of Tesla's ability to serve as a small boat for short periods of time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nessus posted:

Suburban Florida would give you the opportunity to take advantage of Tesla's ability to serve as a small boat for short periods of time.

Unfortunately gators can get in through the panel gaps.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

Such an ignorant thing to say. Do you think Toyota just enormously upgraded the power of the Prius because the overwhelming majority of people don’t care about it?

Vegetable posted:

I think they just did it because everyone else did and they are paranoid. In reality no one cares.

The Prius got overhauled in a lot of ways because it needed to be. It got rid of all of the terrible parts that people used to be willing to sacrifice in exchange for the efficiency.

The 0-60 is now around 7 seconds, down from 10. Not exactly exciting, but passable

Before, the Prius looked terrible, now it looks fine. The power used to be abysmal, now it’s fine. The driving dynamics used to be horrible, now they’re fine. The electronics/interface used to be fine, now they’re pretty good.

With all of the competition from EVs and other hybrids, they needed to make it a pretty good car while keeping the efficiency.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is a car forum. Most of us like to go fast.

One of the selling points of EVs is supposed to be "goes fast" to make up for some of the tradeoffs. So far it seems only Lucid and Tesla have figured out how to have go-fast and also 300+ miles of range.
Go fast... between the charging stations?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

That driver's name? Albert Einstein.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Like 0.001% of car owners know what their trap speed is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

I’m still pretty sure this is a joke term that only exists in this thread.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Trap speed is an analog for highway passing power and power to weight ratio. Most people don't care what their trap speed is but a lot of people care that their car has better passing power than a 1971 VW bus.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Saw a Rivian SUV on the highway today and it was extremely boring. Would not have even known if it hadn't been stop & go with enough time to read the name.

vv I did not see the clown face. Is it different from the truck? vv

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 19, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You didn't see the clown face lights on the front then did you

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

Thirst trap speed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trap speed is an analog for highway passing power and power to weight ratio. Most people don't care what their trap speed is but a lot of people care that their car has better passing power than a 1971 VW bus.

Literally all modern EVs have excellent passing power, which is another way of saying that their trap speed only matters to people who want to imagine themselves getting in car chases like james bond

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

Unfortunately gators can get in through the panel gaps.

Sounds like an upcharge opportunity for gator proofing.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Rapid Gator Ingress is actually a feature that the standard, staid automakers are just too scared to innovate and implement.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lol this discussion again.

People need a lot of passing power on the highway because they're distracted and are not planning ahead. My 10 year old 117HP hatchback performs marvelously on a 80mph highway somehow. I guess i get it, much easier to bandaid the problem by spending money instead of fixing the underlying issue.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

a lot of people care that their car has better passing power than a 1971 VW bus.

I used to drive a 1982 VW Vanagon. I'm pretty sure every car has better passing power than a 1971 VW Bus.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Russian Bear posted:

Lol this discussion again.

People need a lot of passing power on the highway because they're distracted and are not planning ahead. My 10 year old 117HP hatchback performs marvelously on a 80mph highway somehow. I guess i get it, much easier to bandaid the problem by spending money instead of fixing the underlying issue.

Take 95 from Reno to Vegas and come back and say that. You will end up stuck behind a motorhome convoy doing 53 mph for six hours because there are no passing lanes and lots of hills and curves.

And once you finally manage to pass the motorhome that’s doing 53 in a 70, it will pass you in the next small town because it goes through town doing 53 in a 35, so you get the pleasure of having to pass it again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

This cartoon is misleading because the malaise era corvettes of that body style don’t make enough horsepower to do a burnout.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A 60-hp Peugeot can do a burnout.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Take 95 from Reno to Vegas and come back and say that. You will end up stuck behind a motorhome convoy doing 53 mph for six hours because there are no passing lanes and lots of hills and curves.

And once you finally manage to pass the motorhome that’s doing 53 in a 70, it will pass you in the next small town because it goes through town doing 53 in a 35, so you get the pleasure of having to pass it again.

I won't. Neither will most people. So i guess we don't need that passing power after all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Didn't we just have this 0-60 argument itt earlier this month?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thread moves so fast we've lapped you and come back to the 0-60 argument again. If only you had the passing power necessary to keep up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All my life's a circle;
Sunrise and sundown;
Moon rolls thru the nighttime;
Till the daybreak comes around.
All my life's a circle;
But I can't tell you why;
Season's spinning round again;
The years keep rollin' by.
It seems like I've been here before;
I can't remember when;
But I have this funny feeling;
That we'll all be together again.
No straight lines make up my life;
And all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings;
And so far no dead-ends.
I found you a thousand times;
I guess you done the same;
But then we lose each other;
It's like a children's game;
As I find you here again;
A thought runs through my mind;
Our love is like a circle;
Let's go 'round one more time.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

bird with big dick's going for distance, he's going for speed. GATOS Y VATOS's all alone, all alone, in her time of need.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Until my EV needs a wheelie control setting like the KTM Superduke it doesn't have enough power.

This is true if my EV is a schoolbus btw.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This cartoon is misleading because the malaise era corvettes of that body style don’t make enough horsepower to do a burnout.

It only says "burnout noises". It's probably a cassette tape the driver owns: "burnout noises (30m)".

Dude's burning oil pretty badly though. I'm worried there might be a crack in the engine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's cyclical. Next items up on the agenda:

* Speeding: good or bad?
* Rear doors that don't open from the inside: good or bad?
* Tesla: good or bad?
* From the vault: blended braking: good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

0-60 is fun, lots of hp is fun and I think time to move on and give this particular discussion a rest.

Ummm..... no.