Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I knew instantly it was him. But I didn't mind, it's a fun voice!

This one, however, was bugging me, and I kept forgetting to look it up. I knew I knew the voice, but I figured it was probably just one of "those guys" voice actors who shows up everywhere. This is even better. Thank you!

Yeah, Ben does “snarky rear end in a top hat” really well so it didn’t bother me that much (hell, I wouldn’t mind seeing TAY-O again at some point)

twistedmentat posted:

I think what made it hard to place is i don't think I've ever heard Hudson be anything but nice, in this he was pretty menacing.

I was actually thinking he was Keith David at first until I saw the credits

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Ben does “snarky rear end in a top hat” really well so it didn’t bother me that much (hell, I wouldn’t mind seeing TAY-O again at some point)

The team could use a droid sidekick. He could fly the shuttle while Tech does other stuff.

Also LOL at the announcer+crowd's reaction to his name.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

twistedmentat posted:

I think what made it hard to place is i don't think I've ever heard Hudson be anything but nice, in this he was pretty menacing.

He was pretty genial, for a criminal. :v:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
We don't know how widely publicized "Riot Racing" is (it doesn't look like a sport the Empire would endorse), but there have to be publicly accessible holos floating around now that show Tech winning the race and Wrecker and Omega standing right next to him. I really hope the Empire follows up on this trail and Crosshair or Rampart meet up with Millegi, who of course has no compunction to sell out Cid. Otherwise this episode really will be remembered as filler.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dave Syndrome posted:

We don't know how widely publicized "Riot Racing" is (it doesn't look like a sport the Empire would endorse), but there have to be publicly accessible holos floating around now that show Tech winning the race and Wrecker and Omega standing right next to him. I really hope the Empire follows up on this trail and Crosshair or Rampart meet up with Millegi, who of course has no compunction to sell out Cid. Otherwise this episode really will be remembered as filler.

Can't wait for the scene of Palpatine in the Senate from the trailer, where it turns out he's enjoying some riot racing while the senators drone on about silly things like "ethics violations" and "basic sentient rights"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for the scene of Palpatine in the Senate from the trailer, where it turns out he's enjoying some riot racing while the senators drone on about silly things like "ethics violations" and "basic sentient rights"

Vader watching the race from over Palpatine's shoulder, "Hmm, he should try spinning..."

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

The tusken parts were good. And I was really disappointed that it all wasn't a vengeance plot to avenge them and that he actually wanted to be a crime lord.

it was a weird choice to include "thought he successfully avenged his adopted people who taught him the power of community" as a plot point. Like his motivation for gaining power and control fits better in the rhythm of having to figure out who was responsible for his tribe's death and then figuring out that he has accidentally made a new one in his quest for justice/revenge.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Larryb posted:

Fun episode though, I wonder if the comment regarding Sid at the end is going to come back to bite the group later

Probably, since they also commented on the fact that they've bailed her out of situations she's created before. I'm hoping that all comes to a head soon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I wanted Star Wars the Count of Monte Cristo and instead we got some dumbass mounted Crisco.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

karmicknight posted:

it was a weird choice to include "thought he successfully avenged his adopted people who taught him the power of community" as a plot point. Like his motivation for gaining power and control fits better in the rhythm of having to figure out who was responsible for his tribe's death and then figuring out that he has accidentally made a new one in his quest for justice/revenge.

Also somehow Din Djarin has made enough brief trips to Tatooine that where he had to deal with them that he can fluently communicate with them but Boba can't?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neo Rasa posted:

Also somehow Din Djarin has made enough brief trips to Tatooine that where he had to deal with them that he can fluently communicate with them but Boba can't?

I honestly can't remember now, but didn't Mando S1 establish that Tuskens use sign language (and made a big deal out of it) and then BoBF kinda sorta dropped that?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
they used sign language in booka bob

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So from my understanding Andor will eventually steal the death star plans... Is he going to change his name to Kyle Katarn in season 2?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So from my understanding Andor will eventually steal the death star plans... Is he going to change his name to Kyle Katarn in season 2?

They made a movie about that. He changes his name at the end of it because he got burned

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine the froth if he used Kyle as a fake name :allears:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

His sidekick in Rogue One is named Jyn Erso so yeah basically

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Imagine the froth if he used Kyle as a fake name :allears:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really buy that the samus character design sprang into being without any boba fett inspiration on the japan end. Star wars was plenty popular in japan of course
Absolutely but keep in mind there were a bunch of major influences on Samus other than Boba which were completely unknown outside of Japan at the time, whereas in the West Boba would be the first character to come to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwWpbHLcXU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Check out this Japanese commercial starring Cindy Crawford from 1986
https://twitter.com/VIDEO199X/status/1615457577500020736?t=1aW69ZCM1MfNhK944yq7ww&s=19

That is very Samus-like

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Check out this Japanese commercial starring Cindy Crawford from 1986
https://twitter.com/VIDEO199X/status/1615457577500020736?t=1aW69ZCM1MfNhK944yq7ww&s=19

That is very Samus-like

See you next mission

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HootTheOwl posted:

They made a movie about that. He changes his name at the end of it because he got burned

Star Wars: Burn Notice is absolutely something I would watch.

Except instead of lovely Space Miami from Andor being the planet he's not allowed to leave, Disney would probably insist on Tatooine.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jerusalem posted:

Star Wars: Burn Notice is absolutely something I would watch.

Except instead of lovely Space Miami from Andor being the planet he's not allowed to leave, Disney would probably insist on Tatooine.

Exiled back to Niamos

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dark Forces Katarn >>>>> Jedi Knight Katarn :colbert:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Popping back in for Willow chat now that I finished the season.

The first 2 episodes were pretty awful, but it got better after that. It was still pretty poor overall. My biggest complaint is that there were a lot of scenes/dialogue where it felt like the actors were just woodenly reading lines off a page without acting and in only one take.

They also should have dialed back the volume of quips and jokes and concentrated more on quality as far too many landed completely flat.

Boorman was a decent Madmartigan/Jack Sparrow kinda archetype.

I found Kit to be grating in basically every scene. I thought the armor working for her was completely unearned.

The show had some decent highs, but a lot of low, lows. Not really sure what to rate it. It's closer to Obi-Wan than Andor.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Excellent 3 minute Andor/Rogue One fanedit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8XnzIMmZU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

th3t00t posted:

Popping back in for Willow chat now that I finished the season.

The first 2 episodes were pretty awful, but it got better after that. It was still pretty poor overall. My biggest complaint is that there were a lot of scenes/dialogue where it felt like the actors were just woodenly reading lines off a page without acting and in only one take.

They also should have dialed back the volume of quips and jokes and concentrated more on quality as far too many landed completely flat.

Boorman was a decent Madmartigan/Jack Sparrow kinda archetype.

I found Kit to be grating in basically every scene. I thought the armor working for her was completely unearned.

The show had some decent highs, but a lot of low, lows. Not really sure what to rate it. It's closer to Obi-Wan than Andor.

i liked the jokes cause it reinforced its camp feel. reminded me of poo poo like xena/hercules

i laughed a ton when a flamethrower just randomly appeared out of nowhere and the response was 'don't worry about it', and it was never seen again

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

thats not candy posted:

i liked the jokes cause it reinforced its camp feel. reminded me of poo poo like xena/hercules

i laughed a ton when a flamethrower just randomly appeared out of nowhere and the response was 'don't worry about it', and it was never seen again

Yeah exactly. I also loved the episode where we got wet puppets. It was perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Parkingtigers posted:

Excellent 3 minute Andor/Rogue One fanedit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8XnzIMmZU

Some lovely transitions in there, and it reminds me just how high the production value on Andor was.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just finished watching Andor and it actually got me pumped up for Star Wars again, which I thought wouldn’t happen until I can show my son the OT in like 5-6 years. I haven’t really enjoyed much of the recent stuff outside of Episode 8 but this was really really good and actually enhances ANH, which I think Rogue One tried to do but didn’t quite hit for me. You really feel the oppression of the Empire and it’s made very specific. They aren’t just generic space Nazis, we see the many different ways they oppress people and it feels so plausible and terrifying. Put the politics back into Star Wars, imo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Animal-Mother posted:

Dark Forces Katarn <<<<<<< Jedi Knight Katarn

Fixed

StashAugustine posted:

Mando is cool because I like the idea of someone brought up in a very strict culture trying to hold onto his beliefs that no one else really cares about while rejecting both insane dogmatism and people trying to exploit it for nationalistic bullshit

I mean from the trailer he's explicitly not doing that. He's going to Mandalore to complete a penintence pilgrimage in order to be allowed back into his fundamentalist sect, and attempting to reunite the Mandalorians into one nation.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The team could use a droid sidekick. He could fly the shuttle while Tech does other stuff.

Also LOL at the announcer+crowd's reaction to his name.

How quickly we forget the team's beloved gonk droid, last seen being bench pressed by Wrecker.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arc Light posted:

How quickly we forget the team's beloved gonk droid, last seen being bench pressed by Wrecker.

I didn't realise that wasn't just a one-off joke when I first saw it. He did that back in the Clone Wars, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdf2MmOFqjU&t=233s

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I didn't realise that wasn't just a one-off joke when I first saw it. He did that back in the Clone Wars, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdf2MmOFqjU&t=233s

Huh, I forgot how different some of their voices sound in the Clone Wars arc. Pretty sure most if not all of the Batch's dialogue was recorded back before the show was cancelled, so it was pretty old when the episodes were recycled and finished up as a backdoor pilot in season 7.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Fixed

I mean from the trailer he's explicitly not doing that. He's going to Mandalore to complete a penintence pilgrimage in order to be allowed back into his fundamentalist sect, and attempting to reunite the Mandalorians into one nation.

That's the reason he's going, there is no way that it will be as simple as that. Its been shown a lot with Mandolorians is that they tend to be so conservative they'll self destruct rather than change. Their entire world was reduced to a wasteland due to generations of fighting because none could just give it up, and when they finally do embrace peace, there are so many that just want to get back to fighting that its always under threat, and that they'll join up with the worst people to get back to killing each other and anyone who looks at them funny. Good chance his journey back to Mandalore will make Din realized what a bullshit, self destructive culture he's been indoctrinated into and if they want to survive they need to change.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did something drastically change behind the scenes between Rebels seasons 1 and 2? Three episodes in and it feels like a different show - I'm actually enjoying it rather than slogging through.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
To me it only got better from there, too. I'm not sure about behind the scenes changes, but they seemed to abandon the idea of having really kiddie plots like 'the gang has to get Hera's favourite fruit!' and just tell Star Wars stories.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Soonmot posted:

Yeah exactly. I also loved the episode where we got wet puppets. It was perfect.

i was genuinely concerned about mudmander's well being

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

stev posted:

Did something drastically change behind the scenes between Rebels seasons 1 and 2? Three episodes in and it feels like a different show - I'm actually enjoying it rather than slogging through.

Rebels got progressively better each season. I think some of it was better animation due to having the character models down, and some of it was the having feedback on what was working and what wasn’t and actually listening to it.

If you think the jump between seasons 1 and 2 was a leap, get ready, you’re in for a treat.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

twistedmentat posted:

That's the reason he's going, there is no way that it will be as simple as that. Its been shown a lot with Mandolorians is that they tend to be so conservative they'll self destruct rather than change. Their entire world was reduced to a wasteland due to generations of fighting because none could just give it up, and when they finally do embrace peace, there are so many that just want to get back to fighting that its always under threat, and that they'll join up with the worst people to get back to killing each other and anyone who looks at them funny. Good chance his journey back to Mandalore will make Din realized what a bullshit, self destructive culture he's been indoctrinated into and if they want to survive they need to change.

I hope if he realises all that stuff that he refuses to realise it in order to fit in with his sect. More Star Wars characters need to self-sabotage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

Rebels got progressively better each season. I think some of it was better animation due to having the character models down, and some of it was the having feedback on what was working and what wasn’t and actually listening to it.

If you think the jump between seasons 1 and 2 was a leap, get ready, you’re in for a treat.

Well I'm glad to hear that because it took me months to get through season 1. The episodes didn't hold my attention at all.