Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BonoMan posted:

They did. I have several theories why. First, the idea of spores being in a "contained" area is kind of dumb and only applies to video game logic. They'd just be invisible in the show obviously because its' more grounded in reality and that wouldn't make for interesting visuals or storytelling. You'd never really have a good mechanism for showing them in the show unless you made them comically big and things just get out of hand with viewer immersion then. It'd start to look farcical. Also it becomes an easy out that would lose the trust of the viewer.

"Oh they just weren't in there when the thought they were." "Oh actually surprise you didn't see the spores and now you're dead!"

You need to set a level of trust and ground rules with the viewer since they aren't in control of anything like a video game. Invisible spores, in my opinion, is too loose of a mechanism for a show to be able to set those rules.

I think you're over thinking it. They just don't want to hide all of the casts faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Medullah posted:

I think you're over thinking it. They just don't want to hide all of the casts faces.

I know that's part of it, but doubt its the whole thing. Their interaction with contaminated areas is very limited (regardless of the mechanism they've made it clear they are prioritizing the non-zombie related parts of the story above all. Which is the correct choice). So I don't think any time they would have been in masks would have been *that* significant.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
You all make good points which a google search confirms to be correct. Still a shame, though. Despite being video-gamey, spores are the means by which fungi spread and reproduce. I guess it now spreads through creeping tendrils? This explains how the elderly invalid from the pilot would not be able to avoid the tendrils creeping into her mouth while asleep, Body Snatchers-style.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's also probably a happy accident that the show mirrors another aspect in nature. the real cordyceps in question do spread via spore buts it much more localized contagion. The wider spread happens when birds and other predators see a helpless ant that climbed to the highest point to fruit, eat it, and spread the contagion much wider than the spores could reach.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah the complaint that it's too precious and White Guy Problems prolly only comes from people who turned it off after 20 minutes

That was the show until the last 2 eps.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah I really like what they did with it

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The last of us was perfectly fine in a kind of generic apocalypse tv show kind of way. I know absolutely nothing about the game and almost peaced out after the first zombie reveal because holy poo poo that genre is super played out. The actors are enjoyable to watch though and maybe fungus zombies are juuuust different enough it won’t piss me off so I’ll see how it goes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ozmunkeh posted:

The last of us was perfectly fine in a kind of generic apocalypse tv show kind of way. I know absolutely nothing about the game and almost peaced out after the first zombie reveal because holy poo poo that genre is super played out. The actors are enjoyable to watch though and maybe fungus zombies are juuuust different enough it won’t piss me off so I’ll see how it goes.

Yeah the mouth sprouts was sufficiently creepy and then I got Annihilation vibes from the guy they found grown into the wall.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Just got a fresh apple+ trial. What’s the gooncensus on Servant? Any good? I generally enjoy Shaymalans stuff but not sure how involved he actually is, IME big name directors attached to TV shows is just marketing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Starks posted:

Just got a fresh apple+ trial. What’s the gooncensus on Servant? Any good? I generally enjoy Shaymalans stuff but not sure how involved he actually is, IME big name directors attached to TV shows is just marketing.

watch severance before you bother with anything else on ATV+ it's phenomenal

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

I actually enjoyed it at first, but it just kept on retreading the same ground over and over. I got a couple episodes into season 3, and realized, I didn't give a poo poo anymore, and gave up. Despite how much money they are throwing at it, there actually aren't a lot of good Apple shows. I love For All Mankind, and season 1 of Ted Lasso (not season 2). The Planet Earth style Dinosaur show was fun I guess. People here really loved Severance, but I got frustrated with it being yet another mystery box show that hardly ever revealed anything without adding more mysteries on top of mysteries. It felt like it was trying to be weird only for the sake of being weird.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Nihonniboku posted:

I actually enjoyed it at first, but it just kept on retreading the same ground over and over. I got a couple episodes into season 3, and realized, I didn't give a poo poo anymore, and gave up. Despite how much money they are throwing at it, there actually aren't a lot of good Apple shows. I love For All Mankind, and season 1 of Ted Lasso (not season 2). The Planet Earth style Dinosaur show was fun I guess. People here really loved Severance, but I got frustrated with it being yet another mystery box show that hardly ever revealed anything without adding more mysteries on top of mysteries. It felt like it was trying to be weird only for the sake of being weird.

Slow Horses rules though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rental Sting posted:

Slow Horses rules though.

Haven't heard of that one somehow. Looks like it's gotten pretty good reviews, and the cast seems great.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Starks posted:

I binged Servant and Invasion and at the end of both of them I immediately felt bad for anyone who watched that poo poo week to week. I don't feel bad saying the first episode of both shows is the most interesting, and then nothing happens after that for several seasons

e oh yeah watch Severance, duh

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I loved Severance and Slow Horses, and I enjoyed For All Mankind enough to watch all three seasons. For All Mankind seems to get wackier as it goes on though

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Paul T. Goldman is amazing. I can't wait to see how it wraps up in a few days.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
See is really good and really dumb.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

See is really good and really dumb.

See is a never ending series of "why did you do that?" Entertaining and beautiful as hell, but I'm a few eps into season 2 and finding the weird dialects and vocabulary are morphing into more contemporary dialog.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Starks posted:

Servant's great. There's a bunch of cool formal constraints in the way it's filmed, mainly the way they limit the camera set ups almost exclusively to the house and the narrow band of street immediately outside the house. The second season amps up the comedy too, and Lauren Ambrose's performance is tight as hell.

Shaymalan's heavily involved in the directing, but not so much the writing as I understand it. Jury's out as to how well it'll end, but I've got a good vibe.

theflyingexecutive posted:

See is a never ending series of "why did you do that?" Entertaining and beautiful as hell, but I'm a few eps into season 2 and finding the weird dialects and vocabulary are morphing into more contemporary dialog.

The last two seasons had a new showrunner, I don't think they're quite as interesting.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

Haven't heard of that one somehow. Looks like it's gotten pretty good reviews, and the cast seems great.

A British spy show starring Gary Oldman as Dr House. It's real good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am watching the Reacher show months if not years late on Prime. It's real dumb, but dumb fun. I would say the same of the Cruise adaptation. Just don't bother with the second movie.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reacher was good and the character read as autistic to me which is funny if that wasn't actually intended

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Paul T. Goldman is amazing. I can't wait to see how it wraps up in a few days.

It's one of the only shows I look forward to watching every week. I watched the first 3 back to back and I regret not starting when it started because drat this show does cliffhangers right.

I also hope it doesn't get a second season because I want to see how it wraps up and also Paul doesn't deserve any more time in the spotlight.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Name Change posted:

I am watching the Reacher show months if not years late on Prime. It's real dumb, but dumb fun. I would say the same of the Cruise adaptation. Just don't bother with the second movie.

I thought it was hilarious how everyone in the show allied with Reacher was some secret badass with a tragic backstory.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Thanks for the recs- should have mentioned I’ve already seen severance and slow horses S1. Both were great. Slow Horses is like a funnier (and pulpier) version of a Le Carre novel. Stark contrast to that garbage Jack Ryan show.

Will give Servant and the dinosaur show a whirl.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Name Change posted:

I like how in the flashbacks to his childhood, his parents also call him "Reacher".

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watched the new night court pilot, it wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. John Larroquette obviously is the high point but the judge and the bailiff were pretty fun too, the sets look like a courthouse that was slowly updated over the decades since the last show. Some characters hopefully will get a little more to work with but I think this could be a pretty fun show.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Reacher is a great show if you like watching the protagonist just roll over everyone and never be in trouble. It's the best

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah its like the epitome of a mary sue power fantasy and they just lean into it lol. like if superman made a cameo he would lose in a fistfight with reacher

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought Night Court had the basic sitcom pattern of a really bumpy pilot that is laying everything on too thick and awkwardly to start but then gradually settling in to something ok. I'll hang with it for a few more episodes and see what it becomes. I think sitcoms more than narrative shows really need that time for the formula to develop and everyone to kind of figure out what they're doing. There's no deep plot to jump right into, its just a lot of jamming.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I liked the first two Night Court episodes so far. Anything that puts Larroquette on my screen gets a fair shake.

I really hope we get to see Nostradamus Shannon, the Wheeler family, and Dan's buddy Phil.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Reacher is a great show if you like watching the protagonist just roll over everyone and never be in trouble. It's the best

You've discovered the appeal of late 80s Steven Seagal movies (and a couple of recent DTV movies starring Scott Adkins).

Sometimes it's fun to watch a big galoot/martial arts dude house a bunch of jerks. Nothing wrong with admitting it!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Reacher was good and the character read as autistic to me which is funny if that wasn't actually intended

We sent a terminator back in time to be a private eye.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen Reacher but I'm pretty sure Alan Ritchson's "acting style" is just "repeated head trauma."

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Glad to see Night Court is getting relatively positive reviews. I have a soft spot for the original and was hoping a reboot wouldn’t be a complete disaster.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

isaboo posted:

I liked the first two Night Court episodes so far. Anything that puts Larroquette on my screen gets a fair shake.

I really hope we get to see Nostradamus Shannon, the Wheeler family, and Dan's buddy Phil.

Would also love to see the kid Harry was fostering for a little bit, that felt like it ended on such a down note.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah its like the epitome of a mary sue power fantasy and they just lean into it lol. like if superman made a cameo he would lose in a fistfight with reacher

Can it be a Mary Sue if he’s only interacting with (from what I can tell) local cop nobodies? It’s more like a generic boomer dad power fantasy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh no, that 90s show exists now

I don't completely hate it!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Aight, so I watched all of Mindhunter on this thread's recommendation.

What's something else about unsolved mysteries that isn't a poo poo-tier documentary? If it's a documentary, I want it to be great with good production value and all.

Also didn't someone mention Tokyo Vice? I like the actors in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Forget production values and get 10 years of Robert Stack in you