Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

thrawn527 posted:

And that’s totally fine, which was the point of my post. I liked Drunk History for years, until the gimmick kind of wore thin for me.

It’s just…I don’t know what I was expecting, but it was a little more Mel Brooks, and less College Humor. But that was probably naive, as Brooks hasn’t been Brooks for decades.

I just definitely wasn’t expecting the eventual “Part II” to be a carbon copy of Drunk History.

That trailer did nothing for me. I don't know how you can fill a cast with such an amazing collection of funny people and not have a single solid joke in the trailer. I don't think I even cracked a smile. Like, I just watched it and the only thing I can remember from it is Wanda Sykes saying something along the lines of being enslaved by idiots. In contrast, I haven't seen the orginal in like 30 years and I still remember lots of the jokes from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

confused posted:

That trailer did nothing for me. I don't know how you can fill a cast with such an amazing collection of funny people and not have a single solid joke in the trailer. I don't think I even cracked a smile. Like, I just watched it and the only thing I can remember from it is Wanda Sykes saying something along the lines of being enslaved by idiots. In contrast, I haven't seen the orginal in like 30 years and I still remember lots of the jokes from it.

I posted the “first critic” scene no more than two weeks ago and had zero clue this was dropping

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

kiimo posted:

I posted the “first critic” scene no more than two weeks ago and had zero clue this was dropping

Ha! I forgot about that one and just remembering it made me giggle and that was just a dumb throw away joke in the original.

EDIT: I just remembered the lines, "Sir, you look like the piss boy!" "Well, you look like a bucket of poo poo!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have you ever considered that maybe Drunk History was ripping off Mel brooks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like seriously

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mel Brooks has given me enough laughs over the years I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt

And even if it gets bad reviews I’ll still give it a watch

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like every Mel Brooks movie ever made got bad reviews. It's why the first critic scene is so great.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
This seems kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXPLP4DBtJ8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

I feel like every Mel Brooks movie ever made got bad reviews. It's why the first critic scene is so great.

I think Young Frankenstein was probably the most universally liked?

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

Shoulda been Part III.

Anyway, am I nuts or does this look like the most generic possible detective flick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjdgC-ytvUQ

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

confused posted:

Maybe I'm being too generous but hopefully this just means they're saving the good jokes for the actual show? Nothing worse than a trailer having every decent joke from the movie in it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/politesocietyff/status/1615740834602971137?s=46&t=CuVO2rco-jAm473TgtUt_g

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

This looks dumb as hell, but in the best possible way. I'm in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sorry but I cannot watch that because cropped trailers are illegal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Please don’t send me to jail officer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRFM7HQmkH0

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74AXqw4Opc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Warning, if you have headphones in, apparently only sound from the left headphone/speaker is working for this video? At least for me. And I verified other videos are fine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Shoulda been Part III.

Anyway, am I nuts or does this look like the most generic possible detective flick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjdgC-ytvUQ

Lol why is a noir movie shot like one of those hallmark xmas movies

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Welp so much for Courtney Cox's character (fallen into we gotta kill our surviving characters in a franchise syndrome).

I never watched the ones past 3, did they kill Sydney as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

I never watched the ones past 3, did they kill Sydney as well.

No, she was in all of them up to now but they apparently didn't want to pay her enough to return for this one.

They seem to want to "pass the torch" to these new characters so I imagine they offered her a token amount of money to come in and shoot a death scene, and she wasn't interested. Just my guess though, not based on any real info.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hayden and Jenna gunna be the new Sydney and Gale

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving hated the last one - it was so stupidly meta and selfrefrential it just annoyed me to no end. Maybe this will be a straight up horror movie?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

thrawn527 posted:

Warning, if you have headphones in, apparently only sound from the left headphone/speaker is working for this video? At least for me. And I verified other videos are fine.

It’s not just you — seems like Paramount hosed up the audio on this

The edit on the “I’m gonna shoot you in the head” line is amusingly awkward

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I loving hated the last one - it was so stupidly meta and selfrefrential it just annoyed me to no end. Maybe this will be a straight up horror movie?

It felt like they really fudged the height of the killer too, more than in the past, because they needed to hide the fact that one of the killers was like the shortest character in the whole movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

No, she was in all of them up to now but they apparently didn't want to pay her enough to return for this one.

They seem to want to "pass the torch" to these new characters so I imagine they offered her a token amount of money to come in and shoot a death scene, and she wasn't interested. Just my guess though, not based on any real info.

good for her

its gross that they keep on killing anyone above the age of 30 in these movies. like a metaphor for the movie biz.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

good for her

its gross that they keep on killing anyone above the age of 30 in these movies. like a metaphor for the movie biz.

I think with Scream it's less about age and more about the fact that Neve Campbell had made it clear over time that she wasn't just gonna automatically make herself available for a new Scream movie every year. She was happy to come back and do one every 5-10 years or whatever but I think they've decided they want to start pumping these things out every year and there was no way she was going to agree to that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It felt like they really fudged the height of the killer too, more than in the past, because they needed to hide the fact that one of the killers was like the shortest character in the whole movie.

Platform boots

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

I didn't see the last one, so maybe it got worse, but isn't "stupidly meta and selfrefrential" the franchise's whole deal?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
(scream 5 was the best of the sequels and i loved it)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thrawn527 posted:

I didn't see the last one, so maybe it got worse, but isn't "stupidly meta and selfrefrential" the franchise's whole deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB68-c8GAiA

Not really spoilers so safe to click.

Maybe this is tho:

CLICK

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB68-c8GAiA

Not really spoilers so safe to click.

Maybe this is tho:

CLICK

See, these clips seem hilarious to me. Maybe I need to watch this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah and its no where near the level of like 3 or something. There are criticisms of 5 that are valid (the lead actress is kinda weak, important characters disappear for large chunks of the movie) but a lot of stuff is just stuff the Scream series always has done. You'll see people complain about 5 having Ghostface wear "glitter robes" when having reflective thread sewn into the costume is something they done throughout the series since the first.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 19, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the real crime of Scream 5 was CGI Skeet Ulrich

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought scream 5 had a good reception, I liked it a lot more than 3 or 4

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can’t even remember if I ever watched scream so I went in expecting a straight up slasher movie. :3:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
New Oppenheimer inside look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUu_i6XTVHI

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Uhhhh holy poo poo. Nolan you crazy mother fucker

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wait is that actually footage of the explosion they got?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the height of absurdity. a bunch of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh come on, nobody got this mad when david lynch did the same thing for the return
something awful is always playing favorites