Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A few months ago, we were discussing how I am the legal guardian for my oldest grandchild and because she's under a guardianship she qualifies as an independent. Someone asked how much we saved I'm college tuition because of that rule.

For this Semester, she's going to the local community college, took 5 courses and all of them are covered by Pell grants. I think it's around $1000 per course so it's around $5k per semester.

She would also qualify for subsidized student loans, but I'm not sure how much that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

daslog posted:

A few months ago, we were discussing how I am the legal guardian for my oldest grandchild and because she's under a guardianship she qualifies as an independent. Someone asked how much we saved I'm college tuition because of that rule.

For this Semester, she's going to the local community college, took 5 courses and all of them are covered by Pell grants. I think it's around $1000 per course so it's around $5k per semester.

She would also qualify for subsidized student loans, but I'm not sure how much that would be.

Here's the context for this One Weird Trick in case anyone missed it the last time around: https://www.propublica.org/article/university-of-illinois-financial-aid-fafsa-parents-guardianship-children-students

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

MJP posted:

This may be a bit esoteric, but if I'm thinking of buying a piece of art, should I consider it a long-term investment? It'd be appraised by a third party, but otherwise if it was to happen, it'd be through a legitimate gallery or auctioneer. Not an Old Master or anything, an illustrator from the 70s/80s.

I wouldn’t consider it a long term investment. Buy it because you like it and can afford it. Like anything you CAN make make money in the short term on price arbitrage but it takes a ton of time and effort to know what will flip quickly and what will take years to sell if it sells at all. Art prices are based on the stupidest things. There’s tons of amazing art that can be had for cheap and tons of terrible art that is “worth” 6-7 figures because the art sales industry made a concerted effort to create hype and scarcity around that industry connected artist.

I flip art as a hobby and generally target 3-400% returns on the art I buy. Buying through a gallery comes with gallery markup but sometimes can be the only way to buy art for a living artist. Auctions charge huge fees on both the buy and sell side but you can get incredible deals if you are patient and live in a wealthy metro area with lots of auction houses.

If you’re buying a piece that is 4 figures then it is probably worth it to buy a 1 month subscription to an art price database to check the comps for an artist. If it’s a popular/famous artist then also do your research to make sure it’s not a fake.

If you’re looking to spend more then 5 figures then you really should only buy through one of the major art auction houses where the provenance can be documented.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of art as an investment, what are everyone's thoughts on Masterworks? It's a website that allows you to buy "shares" of art.

I assume, like most things advertised on podcasts, that it's overpriced at best and sketchy as hell at worst.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

I wouldn’t consider it a long term investment. Buy it because you like it and can afford it. Like anything you CAN make make money in the short term on price arbitrage but it takes a ton of time and effort to know what will flip quickly and what will take years to sell if it sells at all. Art prices are based on the stupidest things. There’s tons of amazing art that can be had for cheap and tons of terrible art that is “worth” 6-7 figures because the art sales industry made a concerted effort to create hype and scarcity around that industry connected artist.

I flip art as a hobby and generally target 3-400% returns on the art I buy. Buying through a gallery comes with gallery markup but sometimes can be the only way to buy art for a living artist. Auctions charge huge fees on both the buy and sell side but you can get incredible deals if you are patient and live in a wealthy metro area with lots of auction houses.

If you’re buying a piece that is 4 figures then it is probably worth it to buy a 1 month subscription to an art price database to check the comps for an artist. If it’s a popular/famous artist then also do your research to make sure it’s not a fake.

If you’re looking to spend more then 5 figures then you really should only buy through one of the major art auction houses where the provenance can be documented.

Any recs for databases? FWIW, it's Hiroshi Nagai, not sure if he fits into popular/famous enough to determine fakes. I'm trying to find out if he even sells his originals or lithos.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

In a taxable account, for the 'typical' 3-fund configuration, I want to be going for Vanguard ETFs like VT, not mutual funds like FSKAX / FZILX / etc, correct? The former (ETFs) will be more tax-efficient, but I suppose I should go compare the ERs of those funds.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

movax posted:

In a taxable account, for the 'typical' 3-fund configuration, I want to be going for Vanguard ETFs like VT, not mutual funds like FSKAX / FZILX / etc, correct? The former (ETFs) will be more tax-efficient, but I suppose I should go compare the ERs of those funds.

Short answer: ETFs slightly preferred over mutual funds when the components are the same.

Longer answer: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_vs_mutual_funds

drk
Jan 16, 2005

movax posted:

Vanguard's patent on dual share class funds (allowing mutual funds to have the same tax efficiency as ETFs) expires this year. So the tax efficiency difference may be ending soon for some funds from other companies, if they move to dual share class.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ETFs are preferred in taxable accounts primarily because some types of transactions in the underlying shares are done in a way that doesn't trigger a tax for the shareholder.
https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/investment-products/etf/etfs-tax-efficiency

They also trade the way you are accustomed to stocks trading: you can put in a market or limit order, it'll execute during trading hours, etc. Mutual funds trade on calculated NAV at the end of the trading day you put in your order in, or the next trading day if you put in your order after-hours or on a non-trading day.

The ER on index funds like you'd hold in a three-fund portfolio, from Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc. are so low and so similar between the mutual fund and an ETF that they're not worth worrying about.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Fezziwig posted:

Speaking of art as an investment, what are everyone's thoughts on Masterworks? It's a website that allows you to buy "shares" of art.

I assume, like most things advertised on podcasts, that it's overpriced at best and sketchy as hell at worst.

Sounds like a scam

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fezziwig posted:

Someone was talking about it in the actively mismanaging your investments thread.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I can’t remember if it was this thread or not, but iirc planet money or freakonomics did a series on the art world. The upshot was that pretty much all art under 6 figures was essentially for the masses and not investment grade.

By virtue of their incessant podcast ads, Masterworks seems like such a scam.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Happiness Commando posted:

Sounds like a scam

What could possibly go wrong with slicing up and securitization of assets?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

daslog posted:

What could possibly go wrong with slicing up and securitization of assets?

There's nothing inherently wrong with that process. There's nothing inherently wrong with a CDO either, that's not the less of what happened in the late 90's early 00's.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Motronic posted:

If it doesn't require a specific insurance rider or policy its not something you should be gamifying "net worth" calculations with.

I also really doubt you're talking about the level of "art" that sits in free trade zones and never gets taxed. Or goes on loan to major galleries or museums. That's the kind of thing that I suppose your family office calculates into net worth. Not anime prints you're gonna hang on your wall.
my animation cel of fat sonic from the original cartoon will be worth millions someday, millions!

Fezziwig posted:

i think one of the BFC mods dabbles in masterworks so maybe they'd like to chime in.

the system uses a hedge fund model of 1.5 annual fee, 20% off the top of sales.

i've looked at the pieces the site has sold.. the company seems to obfuscate which pieces they've sold (maybe worried about competition/data?), they almost always never mention the exact piece that sold, just the artist's name i was able to figure out the sales for 5 pieces and the lowest return i saw was ~10%, highest was ~17% after all the fees were taken out.

so if you were involved in every single piece of art that sold (of the 5), you would be up a nice profit. but the trick though is that you don't know which pieces will be hot and which ones they'll eventually sell off. sometimes they sell pieces within the year, but most of the time its about 1-2 years.

not saying its a good investment, since i don't have any money in it and can't tell you how it looks in reality.. regardless, i would be real wary about doing this unless you have some extra money to play with.

pseudanonymous posted:

Someone was talking about it in the actively mismanaging your investments thread.

got a link?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

my animation cel of fat sonic from the original cartoon will be worth millions someday, millions!

i think one of the BFC mods dabbles in masterworks so maybe they'd like to chime in.

the system uses a hedge fund model of 1.5 annual fee, 20% off the top of sales.

i've looked at the pieces the site has sold.. the company seems to obfuscate which pieces they've sold (maybe worried about competition/data?), they almost always never mention the exact piece that sold, just the artist's name i was able to figure out the sales for 5 pieces and the lowest return i saw was ~10%, highest was ~17% after all the fees were taken out.

so if you were involved in every single piece of art that sold (of the 5), you would be up a nice profit. but the trick though is that you don't know which pieces will be hot and which ones they'll eventually sell off. sometimes they sell pieces within the year, but most of the time its about 1-2 years.

not saying its a good investment, since i don't have any money in it and can't tell you how it looks in reality.. regardless, i would be real wary about doing this unless you have some extra money to play with.

got a link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018317

Make sure you get exposure to watercolors, acrylics and mixed media as well as digital art. Don't want an imbalanced art "portfolio".

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

MJP posted:

Any recs for databases? FWIW, it's Hiroshi Nagai, not sure if he fits into popular/famous enough to determine fakes. I'm trying to find out if he even sells his originals or lithos.

I couldn't find any comps for his work which means there really isn't a secondary market. Where were you planning on buying it from? There are a few prints on Ebay that claim to be authentic signed limited editions that are shipped by sellers in Japan but you have no way to judge the authenticity because there are no comparables to review it against.

Honestly, I would just buy an unsigned $50 print of his work and then pay $200 get it framed very nicely. If you have money to burn and you really want to own a piece by this artist then I'd recommend reaching out to him or his estate directly to try to see if there are any paintings for sale or if they worked with any galleries in the US.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife used to work for an investment company owned/run by a very wealthy family (like, billionaires). The main part of their business was directing funds to charities, it was a philanthropy thing, but they also managed the family's warehouse, which included storage of a significant part of their art collection. They actually had a full-time curator whose job was to keep track of the art, make sure it was stored safely and securely, etc. The art investment is lucrative for them because they have thousands of pieces, and they're by world-famous artists. Vermeers and Van Goghs don't go down in value over the course of decades. There's also multi-millionaires - a-level actors, CEOs of community banks, etc. - who aspire to be or at least look like billionaires, filling their third homes with dozens of items that cost $100k+ each or something. It's performative and lifestyle-affirming as much as it is investing, but they can actually afford things that are already really well established as "famous" and while what's in style changes from year to year, their money is pretty secure - although they're the ones most likely to buy a top-tier forgery for a million bucks, they're also the ones who ever even have an opportunity to buy some poo poo stolen by the nazis or looted from a colony in the 18th century too.

There is another world, which I've had several short interactions with due to my wife's art practice and art-people social circle, which I like to think of as c-suite-grade art. High-comp white collar folks like VPs at medium-sized corporations and random JAG basketball pros, but also ranging down to the level of dentists, financial advisors, and real estate agents. Maybe ranging up to C-level actors, congressmen, etc. People who can afford to drop $10k on an artwork without thinking too much about it, but who aren't really able to amass collections worth tens of millions+. They seek out stuff that is either name brand but less expensive (Picasso, for example, was incredibly prolific, so there's a lot out there in the $10k range) or they're looking for the "next big thing", artists who are showing in major galleries, showing up in the art magazines, but are still affordable to these guys. They get heavily sold to by gallerists and curators. Some of them actually invest a lot of time into learning about and understanding the art world, and those are cool because they're genuinely looking for things they like, not just sealing stuff in shrinkwrap to stuff in a storage room. Others are just engaging in what their economic status and peer group do, they probably still have opinions about art but they're not highly knowledgeable. They mostly buy paintings, they buy what their trusted experts tell them to buy, and in the long run many of them do fine with those investments if they're not too gullible. Many of them also lose tons of money, but they could afford to lose it so whatever.

Then there's a third world of people who can only afford like maybe $1k a month in art spending or less, often a whole lot less. They're the vast majority of the art-buying market, in terms of dollars spent and amount of art bought, but they also have the least influence on what's "in style" or popular in the "art world" at any given time. They buy certified limited edition artist prints. They buy art off the wall of lighthouses and bridges at seaside galleries. Some of them buy $4 paintings at garage sales and antique stores hoping to get lucky. This is not investment, even if this kind of buyer thinks they are investing. This is collecting. It's fine. It's how the great majority of struggling artists selling to the public get their rent paid. There's millions of amazing, brilliant artists who will never be in a major new york gallery, their work will never be sold by Christies even after they're dead. But there's still some opportunity for them. They can get work into shows at small-time galleries, they can get a one-page spread in Ceramics Monthly, they're still taking part in the bigger conversation that goes on between artists in the art world all the time. There's hundreds of magazines and publications that cover this world. My wife has work in a couple of books, she's had a piece on the cover of an anthropology magazine, none of that really translates into a significant income but just getting to that level means an artist is on the map.

The advice for each of these classes of buyers is different. Nobody here is in the top class but it's important to know that they're the ones consistently making bank on art. They're also the ones who stuff some of the world's most important works into private spaces where nobody ever gets to see them, and that sucks rear end. Literally warehouses full of masterpieces.

In the second class we might have a goon or two I guess. If you can drop $50k a year on art, you can be careful, invest a lot of time into learning about the art world, and take a gamble on a few pieces that could appreciate over decades. You should probably focus on work you like, and you should definitely be getting your work expertly appraised and insured. There's some overlap between this one and the third class below, of course, no hard boundaries. If someone says they're flipping paintings in the $5k-$10k price point regularly and profitably, I wouldn't assume immediately that they're a liar. But they need to be domain experts in some narrow area, and there's definitely substantial risk.

In the third class the best advice is to buy what you like, enjoy it, and look at it as a hobby, not an investment. Sure, for some of your more valuable pieces, insurance is a good idea, but the insured value is not what you're guaranteed to get at auction. I'd encourage you to step out of the world of paintings and support artists in areas that tend to get short shrift - ceramics, multimedia sculpture, textiles, for example. These art forms have traditionally been shoved into a "craft" category. Part of their lower value is that they take up more room or are otherwise more difficult to show in a home - you need a plinth or shelf, not just some wall space. Buy things you can proudly display. Avoid "limited edition runs" of prints that cost hundreds of dollars. If your budget is $25 you can get a nice print from a struggling unknown artist that you'll enjoy just as much, and not be feeding into a commercialized, somewhat predatory marketplace that kind of resembles NFTs for how little actual value it produces and how much prices are set by manipulation and grift. You can also buy a beautiful handmade bowl or mug, and actually use it, because that's what the artist intended and you'll get regular enjoyment out of it. Functional art can be a really rewarding area to buy into.

Whole collections of art sold at estate sales can go for a couple thousand dollars or less, when the buyer put in tens of thousands over a lifetime. That's the norm.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 19, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

speaking of art

NEW MONUMENT TO MLK AND CORETTA SCOTT KING POLARIZES PUBLIC OPINION

quote:

The Embrace has conjured other images for some commentators, with many finding sexual innuendo in its representation of disembodied limbs. Seneca Scott, a cousin of Coretta Scott King, wrote in Compact magazine that the sculpture “looks more like a pair of hands hugging a beefy penis than a special moment shared by the iconic couple.”

https://twitter.com/fa_roose/status/1614410888504815616

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I think masterworks operates somewhat like a closed end fund: they buy a piece of art and hold it for 3-10 years. You may or may not be able to sell it on a secondary market before then, but it's not guaranteed and you might have to sell at a loss. Combined with 1.5%/year fee plus 20% of any profits, it seems like a real loser.

If the podcast ads weren't a red flag, this should be from their website footer:

a bad investment posted:

We are "testing the waters" under Regulation A under the Securities Act of 1933. 

(quotes theirs)

I certainly read that as "hey we know this might be an illegal securities offering, but we are doing it anyways"

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Leperflesh posted:

My wife used to work for an investment company owned/run by a very wealthy family (like, billionaires). The main part of their business was directing funds to charities, it was a philanthropy thing, but they also managed the family's warehouse, which included storage of a significant part of their art collection. They actually had a full-time curator whose job was to keep track of the art, make sure it was stored safely and securely, etc. The art investment is lucrative for them because they have thousands of pieces, and they're by world-famous artists. Vermeers and Van Goghs don't go down in value over the course of decades. There's also multi-millionaires - a-level actors, CEOs of community banks, etc. - who aspire to be or at least look like billionaires, filling their third homes with dozens of items that cost $100k+ each or something. It's performative and lifestyle-affirming as much as it is investing, but they can actually afford things that are already really well established as "famous" and while what's in style changes from year to year, their money is pretty secure - although they're the ones most likely to buy a top-tier forgery for a million bucks, they're also the ones who ever even have an opportunity to buy some poo poo stolen by the nazis or looted from a colony in the 18th century too.

There is another world, which I've had several short interactions with due to my wife's art practice and art-people social circle, which I like to think of as c-suite-grade art. High-comp white collar folks like VPs at medium-sized corporations and random JAG basketball pros, but also ranging down to the level of dentists, financial advisors, and real estate agents. Maybe ranging up to C-level actors, congressmen, etc. People who can afford to drop $10k on an artwork without thinking too much about it, but who aren't really able to amass collections worth tens of millions+. They seek out stuff that is either name brand but less expensive (Picasso, for example, was incredibly prolific, so there's a lot out there in the $10k range) or they're looking for the "next big thing", artists who are showing in major galleries, showing up in the art magazines, but are still affordable to these guys. They get heavily sold to by gallerists and curators. Some of them actually invest a lot of time into learning about and understanding the art world, and those are cool because they're genuinely looking for things they like, not just sealing stuff in shrinkwrap to stuff in a storage room. Others are just engaging in what their economic status and peer group do, they probably still have opinions about art but they're not highly knowledgeable. They mostly buy paintings, they buy what their trusted experts tell them to buy, and in the long run many of them do fine with those investments if they're not too gullible. Many of them also lose tons of money, but they could afford to lose it so whatever.

Then there's a third world of people who can only afford like maybe $1k a month in art spending or less, often a whole lot less. They're the vast majority of the art-buying market, in terms of dollars spent and amount of art bought, but they also have the least influence on what's "in style" or popular in the "art world" at any given time. They buy certified limited edition artist prints. They buy art off the wall of lighthouses and bridges at seaside galleries. Some of them buy $4 paintings at garage sales and antique stores hoping to get lucky. This is not investment, even if this kind of buyer thinks they are investing. This is collecting. It's fine. It's how the great majority of struggling artists selling to the public get their rent paid. There's millions of amazing, brilliant artists who will never be in a major new york gallery, their work will never be sold by Christies even after they're dead. But there's still some opportunity for them. They can get work into shows at small-time galleries, they can get a one-page spread in Ceramics Monthly, they're still taking part in the bigger conversation that goes on between artists in the art world all the time. There's hundreds of magazines and publications that cover this world. My wife has work in a couple of books, she's had a piece on the cover of an anthropology magazine, none of that really translates into a significant income but just getting to that level means an artist is on the map.

The advice for each of these classes of buyers is different. Nobody here is in the top class but it's important to know that they're the ones consistently making bank on art. They're also the ones who stuff some of the world's most important works into private spaces where nobody ever gets to see them, and that sucks rear end. Literally warehouses full of masterpieces.

In the second class we might have a goon or two I guess. If you can drop $50k a year on art, you can be careful, invest a lot of time into learning about the art world, and take a gamble on a few pieces that could appreciate over decades. You should probably focus on work you like, and you should definitely be getting your work expertly appraised and insured. There's some overlap between this one and the third class below, of course, no hard boundaries. If someone says they're flipping paintings in the $5k-$10k price point regularly and profitably, I wouldn't assume immediately that they're a liar. But they need to be domain experts in some narrow area, and there's definitely substantial risk.

In the third class the best advice is to buy what you like, enjoy it, and look at it as a hobby, not an investment. Sure, for some of your more valuable pieces, insurance is a good idea, but the insured value is not what you're guaranteed to get at auction. I'd encourage you to step out of the world of paintings and support artists in areas that tend to get short shrift - ceramics, multimedia sculpture, textiles, for example. These art forms have traditionally been shoved into a "craft" category. Part of their lower value is that they take up more room or are otherwise more difficult to show in a home - you need a plinth or shelf, not just some wall space. Buy things you can proudly display. Avoid "limited edition runs" of prints that cost hundreds of dollars. If your budget is $25 you can get a nice print from a struggling unknown artist that you'll enjoy just as much, and not be feeding into a commercialized, somewhat predatory marketplace that kind of resembles NFTs for how little actual value it produces and how much prices are set by manipulation and grift. You can also buy a beautiful handmade bowl or mug, and actually use it, because that's what the artist intended and you'll get regular enjoyment out of it. Functional art can be a really rewarding area to buy into.

Whole collections of art sold at estate sales can go for a couple thousand dollars or less, when the buyer put in tens of thousands over a lifetime. That's the norm.

So we should all buy $10k Picasso's, got it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Leperflesh posted:

Fidelity?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Leperflesh posted:

Thank you for this effortpost, it was pretty fascinating to learn and I couldn't agree more about masterpieces being stuffed into warehouses sucking rear end.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
I think Masterworks and their ilk (Rally Rd., Collectable, etc.) are fun, but I wouldn't really consider them solid investments. They just take assets (paintings, comic books, cars, baseball cards) and securitize them so people have shares in a shell company whose only asset is the comic book, car, whatever. They have to file with the SEC and everything, so this isn't some fly-by-night crypto bullshit.

Downsides are all the things you would expect. These assets are usually purchased at auction, so you're already paying top dollar and eating the auction transaction costs. It is expensive to jump through all the hoops to actually securitize these things, so costs and fees are either baked into the offering price or you get the Masterwork fee structure. Offerings are frequently small (Rally will securitize sub-10k assets) so there is basically no secondary market liquidity to exit your position. You also get some asset selection issues as some of these companies (Collectable) end up as dumping grounds for over-priced assets or the platforms up being unsophisticated momentum buyers on things they may not fully understand (Rally). Finally, unless you hit a homerun and someone comes along to buy it off the platform, these assets kind of end up being stuck on the platforms with no good way to get them off.

That said, it is kind of cool to drop $20 and "own" a piece of a T206 Honus Wagner or a rocket-firing Boba Fett. If you think prices of Basquiat paintings are going to skyrocket in 10 years, Masterworks, despite the huge fees, is really the best and only way for a normal person to participate in that market.

Fun, but I look at like the money I blow on my other dumb collectables and hobbies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

daslog posted:

Fidelity?

No, totally private investment company nobody will have heard of. Like a dozen employees. My wife just worked a front desk job there for a few years during and just after college. All the other people there acted like they were wealthy people even though they weren't, like, the prestige of the Family was somehow supposed to have worn off on them. They got to attend some of the fancy parties and had a really swank annual christmas party where maybe one of the family members would show up. Some of the folks were really nice people but it was also kind of grotesque, what mere proximity to insane wealth does to people psychologically.

CubicalSucrose posted:

So we should all buy $10k Picasso's, got it.

Picasso sketches are way cheaper than that.
like this may not be genuine but the price is quite typical, maybe even a little high:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204192496872
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204187718278

Dude just did like dozens of sketches every day.

e. even authenticated auction prices for basic sketches are frequently sub-$10k. For example
https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6366375

:toot:
sold for $ 8,820 last year

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/graphic-century-1875-1975/pablo-picasso-1881-1973-110/134605

$2,000 in Nov. 2021.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 20, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Here's the podcast:

https://freakonomics.com/podcast-tag/the-hidden-side-of-the-art-market/

tldr: art is a scam

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't think art is a scam is the takeaway from that series. For the 99.9% of us you buy art because it is cool and you like it, brings you happiness. I much prefer the art we have on the walls to the blankness.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

[quote="Leperflesh" post="529232230"]

Dude just did like dozens of sketches every day.

e. even authenticated auction prices for basic sketches are frequently sub-$10k. For example
https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6366375

I don't know if it's true but I read that he would draw little things on checks at restaurants and sign them in the hope they would keep the check and never cash it - prolific doesn't begin to cover it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
According to this article, the below sketch sold for $5.1k on eBay.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 20, 2023

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'll offer you $5k for the subtle moose knuckle and $100 for the rest of the picture, sir

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Goldmans consumer division has taken steep losses and Marcus is under investigation by the fed. Obviously deposits there are FDIC insured and their HYSA doesn’t appear to be impacted but something to be aware of, and I know many goons have accounts there

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drat. SoFi has also been taking some big losses for a bit, right? Is that anything to worry about for people with accounts there?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

drat. SoFi has also been taking some big losses for a bit, right? Is that anything to worry about for people with accounts there?

Goldman's consumer losses and the Fed inquiry are unrelated. There's no reason to worry if you hold money in an FDIC insured account. Losing money is mostly a problem for equity holders in the money losing companies.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

hobbez posted:

Goldmans consumer division has taken steep losses and Marcus is under investigation by the fed. Obviously deposits there are FDIC insured and their HYSA doesn’t appear to be impacted but something to be aware of, and I know many goons have accounts there

Marcus’ losses when I looked at their brief financials were mostly related to allowances for loan and lease losses. They aren’t actual losses, they just have to take the charge because of how bank accounting works.

Makes sense that they took like a billion dollar charge considering they bought Greensky which effectively did un/marginally secured loans for home improvement financing. It’s been like 6 years since I underwrote those kinds of loans but as I recall they would buy deeper on FICO scores and didn’t usually file a UCC filing so if someone died or stopped paying they could only get a judgement but weren’t attached to the house. It worked well when their model was to securitize and sell the loan pools to SunTrust/Truist and others but keeping them on the balance sheet can be tough. There are some other lenders that do the same lending that have had the secondary market dry up and have taken their rates from 6.99% with no fee to the installer/dealer to 6.99% with an 11% fee to the installer/dealer.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

hobbez posted:

If your account is FDIC insured, again, I wouldn’t break a sweat.

The worst that may come of this is some minor downgrades to Marcus’ offerings. I guess there was talk of a checking account coming out but that’s being rolled back now, relatively trivial things like that.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drk posted:

Goldman's consumer losses and the Fed inquiry are unrelated. There's no reason to worry if you hold money in an FDIC insured account. Losing money is mostly a problem for equity holders in the money losing companies.

I wasn't worried about the Marcus inquiry or the actual money stored in SoFi, more wondering if the latter's losses would force them to cut benefits on the consumer side like their (currently pretty high) checking and savings interest rates.

I don't personally have an account there, but was thinking of recommending them to a friend who asked me where they should move to from their lovely bank. Interest rates were a primary concern, so it'd be a bummer if I told them to go there just in time for SoFi to slash those

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if that's why Marcus is offering people a $100 bonus if you add $10,000 in new cash to your account and maintain it for 3 months. They probably need some extra cash for the first quarter to look good?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if that's why Marcus is offering people a $100 bonus if you add $10,000 in new cash to your account and maintain it for 3 months. They probably need some extra cash for the first quarter to look good?

They’ve done that in the past too but it’s probably for balance sheet health reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They’ve done that in the past too but it’s probably for balance sheet health reasons

They are probably bleeding deposits since their savings rate isn't competitive with money markets or Tbills.