Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 7, 1935)

Peanuts (January 22, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 6, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean

Mutt and Jeff

RIp Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 21, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Randy on call)

Out Our Way (November 11-13, 1940)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Nancy and Sluggo just off-screen, encouraging Captain America to punch Hitler even harder!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Nancy and Sluggo just off-screen, encouraging Captain America to punch Hitler even harder!

There are some strips later that go hard against Japan

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

My eyes usually slide past Sally Forth but this is a really good strip. :3:

quote:

Cranky Shafterbean

Wasn't this comic shop part of some "aww shucks we're having financial difficulties" stories or mentions? Because incredible business sense to offer to gut your own profits there. At least he's very kind.

quote:

Thimble Theater (August 21, 1939)

I know the answer is going to be a depressing understanding of life immediately after the Civil War but between this and Rocky and Bullwinkle, man, older cartoonists really went in on the "sometimes you're walking around and get lynched" storyline/gag, huh? They'd both be terrifying if the cartoons in question were even a touch more serious in tone. The punchline is cold blooded murder.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 19, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

She had lines in the train scene when they were kids and also the dinner scene where Copper didnt show up. Since I knew she would be important, I had to make a point of giving her a name, and it matches Maggie's (they have a themed name in Korean) but didn't realize until the last update that "May" without context doesn't really sound like a name. The second part of your comment made me realize that a lot of the plot of Demons of Baseball can be theorized in terms of Lacanian psychology. But I probably shouldn't explain what I mean by that, because spoilers, and also because I'd be really surprised if the author ever thought of it in those terms.

Thanks for explaining! I struggle with characters' intentions and motivations in this comic occasionally, but I think that's more down to cultural misunderstandings than your translation efforts. Speaking of which, thanks for posting it, I'm really enjoying it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm a real Tillman

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

readingatwork posted:

Anybody interested in the new (school) Peanuts collection by artists that aren't Schultz? It's closer to a graphic novel than a strip but I think it counts. I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it's quality but either way I think it would be interesting to see how it compares to the classic (and 70s) stuff.

Given how much pride Schulz placed in drawing every Peanuts comic himself with no assistants, I have misgivings on how he would feel about new Peanuts with new artists.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

we really don't say enough about how much legend of bill sucks

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

readingatwork posted:

Anybody interested in the new (school) Peanuts collection by artists that aren't Schultz? It's closer to a graphic novel than a strip but I think it counts. I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it's quality but either way I think it would be interesting to see how it compares to the classic (and 70s) stuff.

I would probably advise against this, because if there's anything that's gonna get us into copyright trouble, it's posting pages from a book in print right now featuring one of the world's most highly marketed brands.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

he spent like a week? maybe two not doing nothing but :U U: and i guess he got tired of that and went back to the ol' standby

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

that involves acknowledging it, which is really more than legend of bill deserves

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Planck was kinda held captive in chains for two years in Baseball Death Camp. He didn't get much of a chance to write letters, let alone to hand them to the Death Camp Post Office.

But he said that he would. The fact he didn't, even once, should free Maggie from any "responsibility" toward him. He disappeared, seemingly forever, and seemingly at his own choice. Her family should hate him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vargo posted:

I would probably advise against this, because if there's anything that's gonna get us into copyright trouble, it's posting pages from a book in print right now featuring one of the world's most highly marketed brands.

The MetLife blimp is currently holding position over your building, ready to hot-drop Lawyers the second you gently caress up.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 19, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Fair point. Instead I think I’ll read it on my own and write out my thoughts once done.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I don't know why, but this one got me good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Lynn knew she had the button though, she was fine with her toddler capering around the house with a goddamned choking hazard for a toy!

And my mom watched me like a hawk and I still post here. Goons are nature not nurture.
It was Elizabeth who let her keep the button.

I am not so judgmental on this one. As people have posted, kids get into stupid trouble fast, and there's only so much you can supervise them. Elizabeth should probably not have been in charge of supervising a toddler, but it happens in families.

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

And that's just one of a number of humiliations Wilbur has put you through.

The Phantom

"Did you launch a grenade?"
"...no."
*explosion in distance*

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

BBQ and Chili

I WILL ONLY gently caress THIS MOUSE IF HE IS A CHAMPION

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"...no."
*explosion in distance*

"FOOMP" is a highly underrated onomatopoeia.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I prefer it to Intelligent Life, but a) that's because it kinda reminds me of some of the dumb little comics in gaming magazines and 2) that's some real damning faint praise. If I got shot, as I was being loaded into an ambulance I'd say "well, at least I'm not reading Intelligent Life."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

"FOOMP" is a highly underrated onomatopoeia.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So John Allison announced this on his Twitter

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1616129213668392961

According to his Patreon, it will be a four issue series with the first issues in April. As mentioned Allison is only doing the writing, the art will be done by longtime collaborator Max Sarin. I know not everyone likes Sarin's style.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shauna's new outfit is pretty fuckin' sick though, and I'm not gonna say no to learning more about what she's been up to.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/5-7/49

Archie 4/11-13/46

Besides the art, Montana is a really good letterer too -- look at how effectively he conveys tone and humor through lettering here.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Wimpy really needs to protect his neck.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LvK posted:

Wimpy really needs to protect his neck.

pictured: the goon hivemind in action

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

That's way too much output for a spit take; I think we're looking at comics' first puke take.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"...no."
*explosion in distance*

Look, it's not Savarna's fault the foley for a grenade launcher is the most satisfying sound in the world.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

This cat has no idea if the sun is rising or setting.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

The_Other posted:

I know not everyone likes Sarin's style.

You can say that again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

I just scroll past it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

Besides the art, Montana is a really good letterer too -- look at how effectively he conveys tone and humor through lettering here.

ARCHEEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Honest =/= Mean.

Does... Does Kelley not understand this?

Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 2, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 24-25, 1992)

Big Nate

I see. So there are going to be no real consequences to any of this and nobody will be forced to actually grow or deal with their feelings. Cool.