Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh my god it took three weeks for this RP3+ replacement part to get here and they sent me the board for L1, not R1

gently caress, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That blows.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh my god it's Lunar New Year

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah hope you weren't expecting to get anything from China within a few weeks.

Also Anbernic announced another 4:3 device for some reason, even more confusing is that this is the device they're deciding to debut a correct analog stick layout with. Still in-line shoulders though.
https://twitter.com/RetroHandhelds/status/1616150999143702529

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

even more confusing is that this is the device they're deciding to debut a correct analog stick layout with.

but that's wrong

also lol still no stacked shoulders

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

but that's wrong

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does any new console has 3x2 screen with is a compromise of 4x3 and 16x9?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://liliputing.com/kt-r1-is-a-configurable-handheld-game-console-with-a-32-display-and-mediatek-helio-g99-processor/

https://obscurehandhelds.com/2022/06/the-kt-r1c-handheld-could-be-the-one-youre-waiting-for/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlGiTWOQ8Ss

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 20, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^^ Thank you. I hope is not a vaporware.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If Anyone wants a proper DS / 3DS emulation machine,

https://www.woot.com/offers/microso...ta=MXxOfDB8WXww

$239

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Not if I'm locked to AT&T and have to purchase a mobile plan.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
You should be able to use it carrierless?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

You should be able to use it carrierless?

Yeah you can and some people said they'll unlock it as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I know 3DS prices are spiking but I don't think we're at the point where it's worth buying a Surface Duo instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

I know 3DS prices are spiking but I don't think we're at the point where it's worth buying a Surface Duo instead.

Yeah honestly if it were $99 I would do it but over $200 is a bit much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
These are not the posts of people who are dedicated to the game.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Doesn't LG make a goofy 2 screen phone too? Which one is faster.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
If you're talking about this thing

It does indeed look cool but costs $1600

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Doesn't LG make a goofy 2 screen phone too? Which one is faster.

They do

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1855207080...1IaAo-qEALw_wcB

Same price and same processor. They made a newer version with the 865 but the screens are smaller vs the MS one.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got the Samsung fold 4 on black friday and that thing is loving ridiculous. It runs switch games at 1080p 60fps. The Nintendo switch cannot do that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I love folding phones because 6 months after they release you get to enjoy everyone who spent 4 figures on a mid-range phone posting about how badly the folding screen has creased up and cracked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That new red magic phone looks ridiculous as well. It has a built in CPU fan and shoulder buttons lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

That new red magic phone looks ridiculous as well. It has a built in CPU fan and shoulder buttons lol

Redmagic I think have been doing that a while, though the Android gaming phone thing always feels weird to me given that there aren't that many big games on Android and Genshin on Android doesn't have controller support like it does on iOS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ah, so your SD games can be stretched and your HD games can be squished! The worst of both worlds! Although that's the aspect ratio handhelds like the GBA and DS were at, right? Might be ideal for GBA at least.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Ah, so your SD games can be stretched and your HD games can be squished! The worst of both worlds! Although that's the aspect ratio handhelds like the GBA and DS were at, right? Might be ideal for GBA at least.

Yes, that's the GBA aspect ratio.

The reason to go with 3:2 is, if you play a lot of different games at different aspect ratios, it provides a compromise in image size given the same screen size. A 16:9 game on a 4:3 screen is going to have huge bars on the top and bottom, while a 4:3 game on a 16:9 screen will have huge bars on the side. 3:2 gives smaller bars in both circumstances.

I am okay with 4:3 on 16:9, personally, but I get why someone might want this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you want a device specifically for GBA stuff, the 351P is right there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I still have a GBA SP and I'd rather pick up a flashcart for that if I'm not going to play on like my Steam Deck or something. No real appeal to me personally.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The 5:3 screen on the RG552 was really nice for whatever you threw at it. Shame about the rest of the hardware really.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The RG552 is the purchase I regret the most. Love the screen but the processor ran hot, the battery life was awful, and the thing was somehow uncomfortably heavy for it's size. It also managed to fry itself somehow. I had it packed away for a few months and when I got it out and started charging it I smelled something burning. At that point I had to toss it for safety reasons. If they ever do a 553 and fix the issues I'd still recommend looking into it if it reviews well, the screen is just that good with it's 5:3 aspect ratio for playing all of the retro systems.

I won't be looking into though, and the reason for that is that as a birthday treat for myself I picked up the much maligned (by most reviewers at least) Logitech G Cloud.

Check out the Retro Game Corps review here, it's going to echo my feelings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0H0YZUGIdU

So this thing is overpriced and underpowered for how much they're asking for it. I got mine off of Amazon for $300 which seems to be the going price nowadays. I haven't tried it myself but reviews say it can run some Gamecube and PS2 if you do some tweaking, the experience for those probably isn't great so this is yet another device that can handle PSP/NDS and lower systems which honestly is the new minimum for most of the newer devices most people are interested in. So why pick up this thing at all? The big 7 inch screen on this thing is so drat nice compared to all of the 3.5 and 5 inch screens that I've been dealing with on all the other devices I tried out. It's such a relief to my aging eyes and that alone is worth it for me. The other nice things is that it's very comfortable to hold and the battery life is unreal, reviewers say 8-10 hours and I believe it. I haven't been able to put a dent into it yet. This is also the first device I've owned that is android only. I thought that'd be a downside compared to emulation station on linux but I setup Daijisho on it and it's actually really nice. It's not as customizable as the linux options but honestly I have no complaints.

However I can't really recommend this thing for most people. It's really only good if you have the same really specific wants that I have and you're willing to put up with the downsides, I can't image that applies to many people at all. It also doesn't help that it's close in price to a Steam Deck and I think that will probably fit most people's needs better, sacrificing size/weight/battery life/lower res screen for a big jump in what all games are playable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If the G-Cloud was $200 I might find a use for it, but if I was going to buy a handheld for low to mid tier emulation and game streaming right now it'd be the Retroid Pocket 3+ by some distance.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I say it a lot but the RP3+ scratches the itch so well. The size, power and buttons are just great for my use case.

Sure there will be better screens and chips that handle PS2 better down the road but for what is available right now it knocks it out of the park.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah I think the RP3+ has the perfect screen size and price for me. Only way to improve it is put in a faster chip and make the bezel thinner. Or make the RP4 shape more like a PSP, which is a instant buy for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love the RP3+ except for the dang start/select placement

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the knowledge that there's almost certainly a Retroid Pocket 4 coming within a few months.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Which will have the same processor as the 3+, and then will be followed up by a 4+ two months later with a faster chip.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

uiruki posted:

Which will have the same processor as the 3+, and then will be followed up by a 4+ two months later with a faster chip.

this is the way

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think you are going to see 3+ Android based consoles that outperform each other every year because they are going to be tied to midrange mediatek and Snapdragon chips.

Hopefully midrange soc get fast enough to emulate most of the ps2 games so you don't have pressure to upgrade every year (yes I know some people will want to emulate Switch games but whatever.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think you are going to see 3+ Android based consoles that outperform each other every year because they are going to be tied to midrange mediatek and Snapdragon chips.

Hopefully midrange soc get fast enough to emulate most of the ps2 games so you don't have pressure to upgrade every year (yes I know some people will want to emulate Switch games but whatever.)

The problem for Android handhelds now is you need to get modern SOCs which means money but the instant your device costs more than $300 you're getting too close to the giant shadow over the whole handheld world that is the Steam Deck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ll get a Steam deck when it isn’t the size of a desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Steam Desk.