Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Sorry, capitalist, the exploitable workforce is in another castle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1616426759259578368

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im so jealous... copenhagen took out the tramlines in the 60s so we cant do that :(

would be nice to have cause all danish unions are calling for a demo on feb 5

also 380k danes have signed a petition that was put up on tuesday which is a record (for context, there are about 3 million "employed/looking for work" in denmark)

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jan 20, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

French Riot Ribs are a whole nother level.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This fuckin rules. 10/10 would join picket line.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.reuters.com/business/su...ike-2023-01-18/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:doit:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
"attempts to reform its pension system - one of the most generous and costly in Europe"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jaxyon posted:

"attempts to reform its pension system - one of the most generous and costly in Europe"

those are the two worst words you can say near a politician

"deserved" and idk "affordable"? no theres a better word for the second one

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
ugh the pension is so good

why can't they reform it to be bad

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
So I'm not really a CSPAM regular but I'm trying to figure out what I can do to improve conditions at my workplace.

I work for a small non-profit that is I'm the midst of growing enough to have properly compensated workers. I started volunteering a couple years ago and started getting paid about a year and a half ago - since then I have successfully applied for some reasonably large grants that have been a major part of the organization's growth.

The issue is, the director has no clue how to run an organization properly - he has managed to gently caress over basically everyone in some way or another. The brunt of this has been borne by people that do part-time work, who never get any certainty about whether there will still be jobs for them from season to season. There isn't any real reason why that should be the case - I applied for these grants with the explicit goal of getting more consistent pay for those employees, but my boss is creating new hoops to be jumped through that, in general, are excluding the people who have actually been doing the work for the last two years from continuing in similar positions.

Does anyone have specific experience with smallish nonprofits in similar situations? We are probably too small to actually unionize, but I'd like to at least use my position to better advocate for the other employees and prevent the director from imposing new bullshit on us.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I worked for the Nevada Democratic Party as one of like nine organizers and we still (almost) unionized. how small of a workforce are we talking, especially the number of non-supervisors? nonprofits can be a little easier because you can get the leverage to make them recognize you instead of holding an election, and if you do that you can have whatever bargaining unit you want instead of what the NLRB rules

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
one of my sublocals is like 6 people, it's cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I know unions with 3 members, size doesn't matter. in every workplace there is a boss who has total control of the conditions, and workers who have to put up with it while producing all the value. Unionizing is a possibility even in a small nonprofit, and a necessity in my experience as someone who helped unionizing a smallish nonprofit

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
I think the total workforce not including the director is 9 people, between the full-time and part-time staff. It gets nebulous because there are spots for youth employees for summer jobs.

In terms of "non-supervisors" I think the answer would be anywhere from 7 to 9 - the job roles are honestly so poorly defined that something like that which ought to have a clear answer does not.

The ambiguity in the org chart means that I would be a person likely to get told my job description includes hiring/firing other people in the unit, but if I actually had that level of control this situation wouldn't have come up.

In terms of forming a union, is one of the bigger orgs worth reaching out to?

BougieBitch has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Jan 22, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
CWA employs me therefore they’re cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BougieBitch posted:

I think the total workforce not including the director is 9 people, between the full-time and part-time staff. It gets nebulous because there are spots for youth employees for summer jobs.

In terms of "non-supervisors" I think the answer would be anywhere from 7 to 9 - the job roles are honestly so poorly defined that something like that which ought to have a clear answer does not.

The ambiguity in the org chart means that I would be a person likely to get told my job description includes hiring/firing other people in the unit, but if I actually had that level of control this situation wouldn't have come up.

In terms of forming a union, is one of the bigger orgs worth reaching out to?

yea, any union will provide resources if you reach out, no matter where on the organizing process you're at. at least in my experience, theres some like mildly defunct locals in my area that people just steer clear of at this point, but the worst that happens if you contact something like that is you just reach out to a different group.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

when we contacted a union we just looked at similar industries in our area that already were unionized to get a sense of what could work, since theres knowledge&skills that will be helpful for specific industries.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I work for a musical instrument manufacturer and boy howdy, lemme tell ya, there are literally NO unionized shops in the entire industry. Gibson purposely moved to Tennessee from Michigan to be in a "right-to-work" state and circumvent collective action by employees. To say it's been difficult to find examples to base my own efforts on is an understatement.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I work for a musical instrument manufacturer and boy howdy, lemme tell ya, there are literally NO unionized shops in the entire industry. Gibson purposely moved to Tennessee from Michigan to be in a "right-to-work" state and circumvent collective action by employees. To say it's been difficult to find examples to base my own efforts on is an understatement.

my dad took me on the Martin guitar factory tour like three or four times, wish I had passed out pro-union stuff then. have there been attempts?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

kingcobweb posted:

my dad took me on the Martin guitar factory tour like three or four times, wish I had passed out pro-union stuff then. have there been attempts?

There are musician guilds and unions but I have yet to find examples of even failed attempts in the manufacturing side.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
not that any unionization effort is ever Easy but organizing a big factory is at least a well-paved road. you can pick up books about organizing from the 1890s and it’s the same stuff.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
specifically the power analysis id start with is who the most critical workers are to management- the five workers that if they stay home, no one else can work. beyond that standard leader identification stuff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

True! aaand as soon as I’ve said all this stuff I just found out that Moog Music unionized under the IBEW. Time to dig in and study how they pulled it off.

https://moogmusicunion.com/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BougieBitch posted:

So I'm not really a CSPAM regular but I'm trying to figure out what I can do to improve conditions at my workplace.

I work for a small non-profit that is I'm the midst of growing enough to have properly compensated workers. I started volunteering a couple years ago and started getting paid about a year and a half ago - since then I have successfully applied for some reasonably large grants that have been a major part of the organization's growth.

The issue is, the director has no clue how to run an organization properly - he has managed to gently caress over basically everyone in some way or another. The brunt of this has been borne by people that do part-time work, who never get any certainty about whether there will still be jobs for them from season to season. There isn't any real reason why that should be the case - I applied for these grants with the explicit goal of getting more consistent pay for those employees, but my boss is creating new hoops to be jumped through that, in general, are excluding the people who have actually been doing the work for the last two years from continuing in similar positions.

Does anyone have specific experience with smallish nonprofits in similar situations? We are probably too small to actually unionize, but I'd like to at least use my position to better advocate for the other employees and prevent the director from imposing new bullshit on us.

So, I will say that I've had mixed experiences so far with CWA, but, they're also flush with cash right now and are hungry to take on as many unionized orgs as possible as part of what they're calling the CODE-CWA (Campaign to Organize Digital Employees). I, personally, have not been overly happy with the leadership of my local but am also pretty comfortable in saying that a union that's mostly okay is better than no union at all. I won't rehash it all in this post, but if you look over the last 2-ish pages you'll see me openly venting my frustration with them. (And for those following along: my Local's leadership has scheduled an impromptu meeting for 7PM EST tonight regarding their issues with our proposed statement - so I will add an addendum here that they seem to be able to be held accountable to some degree by membership, but I'll have a better feeling about that after tonight)

With an org your size, you could probably push for open bargaining as well, which is something that I wish I was around the shop earlier because I would have fought against closed bargaining until my dying breath (and plan to when the contract comes up again in 3 years if I'm still here) - basically the difference between if there's a bargaining committee that speaks in confidentiality with the company on the membership's behalf, or having all members present with the company at the bargaining table. The latter I believe is an incredibly powerful bargaining tool because 2-5 company representatives and lawyers against the voices of the whole of membership is an important psychological chip (imo, and I have no basis for this, I am not well read at all) to have in your pile.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

So according to our Local president the reason we can't release that statement is because CWA is too powerful? We got told that there were concerns that a statement from CWA could be seen as a specific call to no longer use the platform and orgs like AFL-CIO and AFSCME have already expressed concerns privately with the company since the layoffs with CWA leadership so there are legitimate concerns from unionized salespeople at our org too.

To our President's credit, when I asked him why we we're being given the "it'd be a shame if something happened" talk instead of corporate leadership getting that talk he gently rebuked me by suggesting I shouldn't think it's not already in play at higher level discussions.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. Probably need to let it marinate overnight.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

True! aaand as soon as I’ve said all this stuff I just found out that Moog Music unionized under the IBEW. Time to dig in and study how they pulled it off.

https://moogmusicunion.com/

I think most of the pressure there was moog banking mostly on it's name brand and image

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

To our President's credit, when I asked him why we we're being given the "it'd be a shame if something happened" talk instead of corporate leadership getting that talk he gently rebuked me by suggesting I shouldn't think it's not already in play at higher level discussions.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. Probably need to let it marinate overnight.

That's a democrat party talking point.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
oog

https://twitter.com/Megan_Nicolett/status/1617938170318032897

CEO of a company called "proletariat" responds poorly when his employees try to unionize. lmao, i say, and oof

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The company with the anti-union CEO is called Proletariat?

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

you already got some good input but i wanted to do mine too because i’m currently working with a similar situation, small non-profit that grew fast and is being run poorly. i don’t want to give details of an active campaign so i’ll just post some general stuff that might be applicable.

non-profits in general seem to be very image conscious, particularly being mindful of their preferred donors, which could be useful to take note of.

there seems to be a (minor) trend of nonprofits voluntarily recognizing unions, which means that the NLRB will certify the union without running their election. this is of dubious utility, but it does open the door to getting actual work done around workplace issues since a lot of people are hung up on things like being seen as official or legitimate and won’t act on a problem until they get paperwork saying it’s ok to act. if the donor base might get upset about anti-union actions there’s some leverage there

there’s a good chance you have some kind of board of governance that theoretically oversees what the boss does. there could be avenues there for pressuring decision makers, especially if the board is made up of hyper image conscious rich assholes.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i'm on the board of a local that's primarily nonprofit behavioral health agencies and leveraging management's "we're the good guys" image against them is 🤌 (we had several orgs voluntarily recognized which was very nice)

Lazy_Liberal has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Jan 25, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Science of Suck posted:

there seems to be a (minor) trend of nonprofits voluntarily recognizing unions, which means that the NLRB will certify the union without running their election. this is of dubious utility,

I’ll disagree here, I think it’s huge. it lets you set whatever bargaining unit you want instead of having the NLRB narrowly rule certain people in or certain people out. plus, as we saw with “Proletariat,” sometimes your support fizzles when the employer forces an election

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
https://twitter.com/erikstrobl/status/1618084563707912193

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Geight posted:

Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

hell yeah! one of our local starbuckses in portland just voted today also iirc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Geight posted:

WOOOO CONGRATS also there’s always one lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Geight posted:

:hellyeah:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

also there’s always one lol

our company does this thing where they announce bonuses for non-represented workers and then we gotta scramble to bargain so represented folks can get ours in a timely manner. so the anti-union workers are just going hog wild with "THE UNION KEEPS HOLDING OUR BONUSES HOSTAGE" and wooie it's frustrating explaining why bargaining is a good thing 🥲 anyways, it's mostly like 6 folks out of 500 so i count my blessings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah there was a rash of that recently in my workplace, management announcing 3% across the board raises (*for everyone not represented by a collective bargaining agreement) and people were grumbling about it until reminded that our latest contract got us all 7-15% raises and doubled our shift differentials.