Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

You are being kind of vague. How many flex tandems are required for a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers?

That's the great thing about flex tandems, it's really up to the individual. The important thing is just that they're pressing the task apparatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Now parge the lath!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Let's take bets on how many shingle layers exist.

I say 3.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just shingles or are we counting other roofing materials as well?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
The shingles look hosed up because they aren't staggered very well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

His Divine Shadow posted:

The worst is when the snowblower doesn't work and you got a shitload of snow you need cleared.

Last snow it was acting weird as heck, engine was basically either racing or barely going and it wasn't able to idle properly. Had to keep fiddling with the throttle and the carb air intake both and getting it to run it was a PITA but I got through it that time. I dunno what happened, a few days later when we had above freezing weather I went to take a look at it and see what was the problem so I started it up and it acted just fine again. I wonder if the constant cycling of thaw and freeze we've had might've been the problem.

Guessing that you have water in the float bowl, and that when it froze, it partially blocked the jet.

On 4-stroke small engines: roughly 95% of the time, it’s water in the float bowl.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just shingles or are we counting other roofing materials as well?

We can go other materials. I stick with 3.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PainterofCrap posted:

Guessing that you have water in the float bowl, and that when it froze, it partially blocked the jet.

On 4-stroke small engines: roughly 95% of the time, it’s water in the float bowl.

Good to know, if it happens again I'll try and drain the bowl.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks like he shingled right over one of those cheap low profile roof vents lol

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

ROJO posted:

Yeah, that's what stood out to me. It's clearly got problems but I think maybe it looks worse because whomever did it didn't use the pattern correctly. It's like a magic eye of novice roofing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a lovely driveway to clear, large parts of it there are buildings on both sides, or a car or two. And it's not a straight path so I'm going to and fro and a lof of the time there's no good place to throw the snow so I gotta throw it right ahead.

I also dislike that I have to keep two handles depressed to keep the thing moving and throwing. Technically you can use just one hand on the clutch but in practice it doesn't work. Slighest tiniest slip and the auger stops. And you gotta hold it down real hard, my hands always start hurting halfway through.

I looked at this video of an old Ariens or Gilson and that thing moves on it's own. Less safe to not have dead mans switches but ooh it looks so nice....

In the end I wonder if a snowblower is for me or if I should have had a plow.

When you say the one hand on the clutch doesn't work... you mean it's so sensitive that the auger lever pops if the drive lever is released just a tiny bit? Assuming it works the same as mine, where if both drive and auger clutch levers are held down you can release the auger one and it stays there... I'd go crazy if that didn't work. My main annoyance with having to keep at least the left hand on to keep the drive and auger going is that I can do a nice left-hand 180 without really stopping (left hand holds down drive clutch and left steering lever, right hand keeps chute pointed the right direction), but I can't do the same with a right turn. It'd be nice if it were symmetrical: holding either lever down will keep the other one down.

But if you actually cared more about that convenience than safety there are certainly some much cheaper and easier options than going out and buying another old snowblower to hold the levers down...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ROJO posted:

They are architectural shingles and meant to have a little texture to them and I can’t decide if that’s what’s making them look weird or if something is really wonky.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BonoMan posted:

My brother-in-law's roof did this. He says he can't get to that part of the attic to see it. He's got a roofer coming out but just wondering what this could be.

Looks like.. a popped rafter for lack of a better term.

Guessing that someone wasn't paying attention at the pre-fab truss plant and missed a (hugely) knotty piece of pine that exploded at the knot, or someone didn't secure a brace properly at one of the joints & now a purlin is thirsting for freedom.

e: goddammit Motronic

VVV Based on the general waviness, it looks like a second layer over super-hammered shingles, or possibly a third layer. The way they hung the shingles over the edge is highly suspicious. The rumpling at the chimney tells me they went straight over some rotted sheathing under old shingles there.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 18, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are architectural shingles and meant to have a little texture to them and I can’t decide if that’s what’s making them look weird or if something is really wonky.

Yeah, but there's also something really weird going on. Like parts of the shingles are lifting near the chimney and a few other sections. The way they're all misaligned kind of fucks with your eyes and makes it hard to notice the other problems, but that warping doesn't look normal at all. It's not even the whole shingle, it's like the "teeth" are separating all on their own.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Thinking about getting a new range -- 30", gas, would be great to have convection. Real buttons/dials would also be nice, my current one has terrible touch buttons that don't work half the time. Any suggested/unsuggested brands?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I have a 5 year old Kenmore, manufactured by Frigidaire with a convection oven and it's been great. The oven part is pushbutton but the controls for the range burners are 100% mechanical.

So I bought a new build a few years ago and as such, we needed to do some landscaping. We have a pull-thru garage so I had a 20x30 concrete pad poured behind it. They did a good job, did it largely by hand (including excavating), still not a crack in it to this day but the grading of it wasn't optimal... but close enough I didn't worry about it.

That was 5 years ago.

This morning, out of the blue I get a text.

It is (verbatim other than name):

quote:

"Slidebite, you are my favorite concrete customer of all time. I hope you know that. Hope you're doing well. Concrete guys' name"

Goes to show I guess treat a small business guy/contractor like a human being you can make a good impression. From what I recall, he gave me a quote, it was reasonable (not crazy cheap, but fair), I paid him 50% up front and the balance as soon as he finished. I seem to recall helping him moving some equipment around when he was by himself and gave him a couple of 10' expanded metal ramps I took from our old loading dock at the office that I was going to scrap anyhow.

I literally haven't had much more than a passing thought of this guy since the job was done.

I'm actually not sure how to reply other than a "Hey, thanks, concrete is holding up well. Hope you are doing well!" but then the other side of me is thinking he's going to ask me for money or something since it's so completely out of nowhere or try to get me into an EXCITING BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY so I'm not even sure I want to reply :lol:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol yeah you're right to be wary! I'd have been tempted to say "aww I bet you say that to all your customers"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Probably just trying to stay in your mind if someone asks for a rec

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I did just reply with a "Thanks for the nice note. Pad is holding up, hope you're doing well"

He was a nice young guy. Guess I'll wait for the inevitable Amway or ACN pyramid scheme pitch.

or midnight knock on my door

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah that feels like a circle back courtesy, my pool guy did the same.

i wouldnt overthink it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dude was probably using the ramps you gave him and kind of pinged in his brain to say thanks to you again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have no reason to think it wasn't with genuine intentions, it was just so out of nowhere.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, the possibility of wanting to charge crystals is not 0% there

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe he had a lovely customer and was daydreaming about that one time he got paid promptly and got help carrying heavy things.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Deviant posted:

yeah that feels like a circle back courtesy

Is that like a reach-around? Maybe that's the angle this guy is going for.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Don't be jealous of my attic making GBS threads spot:

I placed an order for a proper recessed light cover before making this post.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Fiberglass TP is a bold choice

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

or midnight knock on my door

This happened to my parents when I was little. A guy who'd painted the house a few years earlier showed up drunk and asked for money.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I had a temporary Lally column snap in my crawlspace tonight, made the house shudder. It's the middle one of three that supports a big beam down there that bisects the house and that the joists rest on (in the picture below, the Lally closest is what snapped; one is behind the spot from where I took the picture). The other two look okay. Of course this happened after hours. I sent some pictures to a foundation guy who was kind enough to get back to me. He said it isn't a leave-the-house emergency but it does need to get resolved as soon as possible. Just looking for a second opinion given, you know, my goddamn house shuddered.

edit: here is a shot of the Lally broken -- the flashlight is on the spot on that beam where it was.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Absolutely agree with the foundation guy assuming there isn't a 120 gallon fish tank on the floor directly above the broken lally.

You want that taken care of asap not because your house is in jeopardy of literally falling into the basement but because the floor is going to be flexy and things will start moving that should have been supported by that column so you're gonna start seeing (more) nail pops/drywall cracks/etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

My brother-in-law's roof did this. He says he can't get to that part of the attic to see it. He's got a roofer coming out but just wondering what this could be.

Looks like.. a popped rafter for lack of a better term.

:3: Awww congrats! In 9-36 months your house is going to give way to a whole new house!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

H110Hawk posted:

:3: Awww congrats! In 9-36 months your house is going to give way to a whole new house!

ha!

So update on that, my B-I-L said it was only going to cost $450 to fix and that something did pop loose (I can't get the exact details from my wife).

I'm guessing that $450 bandaid is going to turn into a $10,000 new roof sooner than later. But they're about to sell so they'll be entering the "GODDAMNIT YOU POS PO!" hall of fame soon I guess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Probably to cut out the bulging part and slap a vent there lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Motronic posted:

Absolutely agree with the foundation guy assuming there isn't a 120 gallon fish tank on the floor directly above the broken lally.

You want that taken care of asap not because your house is in jeopardy of literally falling into the basement but because the floor is going to be flexy and things will start moving that should have been supported by that column so you're gonna start seeing (more) nail pops/drywall cracks/etc.

Awesome, thanks. There's nothing above it (closest is a lightweight couch about five feet away). I installed a replacement temp lally this morning just for my peace of mind until the foundation folks come in next week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This happened to my parents when I was little. A guy who'd painted the house a few years earlier showed up drunk and asked for money.

Oof. Sounds like a way to end up dead in some places.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Ah so it's a Rockwell pre-fab roof. Makes sense

Only Rockwell could find construction use cases for spurving bearings.

Re the waviness of the other tiles there: my mom's roof looked like that, except with tile instead of shingle, before she finally got the roof redone. I never did find out how much they had to redo as part of it but seeing as the roof was so loving leaky that a rainstorm resulted in water sheeting down the inside of a window once, I bet drat near every inch of sheathing was rotten.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

uhh is it normal for a marble hearth to just pop right off with no effort? what the gently caress did they use here?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Whatever it was (some kind of thinset or adhesive, I assume), it looks completely burnt.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

uhh is it normal for a marble hearth to just pop right off with no effort? what the gently caress did they use here?

I don't know where you are or how old the place is, but if that was here in Sweden and the house is older than 30-40 years I'd get that poo poo tested for asbestos ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

in the US, house was built in 70. ah gently caress