Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
2 wodford reserves on the plane are usually fine by me, weed is a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AA year is Feb tho

AA qualification year is still the calendar year. Status just lasts until Feb

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

AA qualification year is still the calendar year. Status just lasts until Feb

Nah it’s not. Qualify until end of Feb.

They just emailed about this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any point to a Corporate Gold Amex? Like why would a company bother paying for it for their employees over Corporate Green?

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

smackfu posted:

Is there any point to a Corporate Gold Amex? Like why would a company bother paying for it for their employees over Corporate Green?

At my previous company it was a perk for managing directors.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Nah it’s not. Qualify until end of Feb.

They just emailed about this.

Is this a permanent change with the new program?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As much as anything is in regards to ff programs? lol

I think its to line up expiration with qualifying. I have no idea

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

smackfu posted:

Almost none, best I could tell. You don't get forex fees on the gold and there's some minor category earning that doesn't matter. I guess there's the intangibles of plopping down the metal gold card to pick up the tab but at this point everyone has a metal card so that cachet is long gone.

poo poo, I don't even earn points for myself on my green card and it doesn't have tap to pay. Slumming it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah as far as I can tell, you get silver Hilton (which is a free water), 5% back on Uber to use for personal use, and the other stuff is stuff I would expense anyways so I wouldn’t care.

Having the manager be able to plunk down a better card is definitely the main benefit.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Big airline earnings lately. Today was UA and they're printing money again

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Business Travel Thread question: does having one beer at a bar after dinner count as the forbidden "drinking alone"?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

literally this big posted:

Business Travel Thread question: does having one beer at a bar after dinner count as the forbidden "drinking alone"?

It does not. Getting hosed up by yourself does, though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Where does killing a sixer of a DIPA while playing starcraft in your hotel room fit in on this spectrum, provided you're not hosed up from it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So many calories.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
There were other people in the bar, so technically I wasn't alone.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Drinking alone is normal and good.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Thanks to whoever recommended Malpensa over Linate in Milan—had a much better time than my coworkers although whoever decided “what if between security and passport control there was a mile long duty free then the worst managed passport queue in the world” deserves jail.

Because of this stupid trip I have locked silver medallion within the first month, which is the most :feelsgoodman: I can think of because is there any pair of handcuffs more golden than “I fly enough to get the good airplane seat but unfortunately still live in the plane.”

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Nothing is more European than trying to punish foreigners they don't like entering (or leaving!!!) their country through long non-EU passport queues and standoffish officers. I think Paris and Brussels by far is the worst for this

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

i fly airplanes posted:

Nothing is more European than trying to punish foreigners they don't like entering (or leaving!!!) their country through long non-EU passport queues and standoffish officers. I think Paris and Brussels by far is the worst for this

When I land international in Brussels, I gloat in glee as I pass the long line of foreign nationals until I approach the automated EU passport scanners and see they're broken.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

i fly airplanes posted:

This is the funniest part to me. My CDG flight into Schengen took me like 5 minutes to get through customs. 70+ minutes leaving Milan for an exit stamp which just feels wild to me.

Jokes on them, I somehow cleared a Delta One upgrade on both legs home and had the least bad 16 hours of flying possible.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was in a similar line at FRA. I noticed that when there was an issue, the guard would leave with their passport, instead of sending the person to secondary themselves.

I had the option of a 45 minute connection or 3 hours, I had booked the long one. Had a nice chat with the guy behind me about Christmas markets and how nice it is to have global entry.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Had a nice chat with the guy behind me about Christmas markets and how nice it is to have global entry.

SFO Global Entry was a complete clusterfuck this morning in G concourse. The kiosks weren't working or something. MPC was the fastest. They even opened a separate line for airline crew for them not to wait in the GE line.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Man, msp might be my original hometown, but jeez. I hate that airport for connections

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Man, msp might be my original hometown, but jeez. I hate that airport for connections

Basically every Delta hub is a horrible connection, but if I’m ranking horribleness:

DTW if you have to run the breadth of McNamara
MSP
SLC
LGA (if you’re a weirdo and connect in New York)
ATL
DTW if you don’t have to run
Boston (barely counts because where the gently caress are you going)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I will not stand by this SEA erasure

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Flying back into JFK from an international destination, getting dumped back into genpop after clearing customs, re-entering, then having to catch that poo poo bus to T4 to get your connection is the top of the list of bad Delta connections for me.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sitting on the tarmac for an ITA flight to Rome and can confirm they've inherited many things from Alitalia, including the continuing air that everything's a little bit shambles. Shame they had to lose the name and livery but not that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arzakon posted:

Flying back into JFK from an international destination, getting dumped back into genpop after clearing customs, re-entering, then having to catch that poo poo bus to T4 to get your connection is the top of the list of bad Delta connections for me.

If you're in genpop, why on earth wouldn't you take the AirTrain to T4 and clear TSA there? I mean, I agree that the experience you're describing is not great but gently caress a bus in the first place.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Dtw is my main airport and after having to do the turbo sprint a few times msp and atl are still loving worse imho

I almost always end up flying into c and connection in a or vice versa

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Last time I had a really tight one at, Bxx to A1 or something, I was getting ready to run it and there was a lady outside the plane to drive me to my next gate. LGA is still the worst in my experience, MSP is only bad if one flight involves the G gates.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the tips on eats in the Dulles area, I ended up getting some Peruvian chicken.

Is AMS still a poo poo show? I'm planning a trip there at the end of February.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

six hour layover in JFK tomorrow before a redeye across the atlantic so i can be in lisbon at 8 am. i wanted to get back into the poo poo and here i am

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is AMS still a poo poo show? I'm planning a trip there at the end of February.

AMS is back to normal, now. Still a pretty uncomfortable place for a layover though, and so long as Dutch frequent travellers keep using Privium (their version of TSA Precheck with a lounge) I don't think they care about making the transfer experience better

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

AMS is back to normal, now. Still a pretty uncomfortable place for a layover though, and so long as Dutch frequent travellers keep using Privium (their version of TSA Precheck with a lounge) I don't think they care about making the transfer experience better

Sounds good. I've had a layover there before, but in this case AMS is my destination.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Dtw is my main airport and after having to do the turbo sprint a few times msp and atl are still loving worse imho

I almost always end up flying into c and connection in a or vice versa

MSP is more likely than DTW to make your life really really bad on average walking distance, and it has the downside of probably involving making turns as opposed to the entire length of McNamara being a gigantic hallway. That sprint sucks but I can at least do it.

Atlanta is also like the only airport to do an air train well, even if you do have to roll across 3 terminals to get out.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

love to try to make a connection through the goddamn mall, msp

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
tbf the tram was never working or janky af when atl was my hub, so i still have a lot of pent up resentment.

i have heard its better but still.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 30, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ATL is almost certainly the best major hub to connect through. It’s one of the only ones organized in a logical way that takes advantage of the tram. The main downside is that it’s packed.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Still team DTW all the way -- hard to beat a single (albeit long) concourse IMO. MSP always feels like a non-sensical zig-zag to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are two concourses at DTW though