Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't really wanna listen to Bryan's podcast series about shock jocks, but I think their impact is really understated. I remember when Chapo had on some radio guy who pointed out that the listener base for radio is enormous. That kind of racist poo poo was par for the course for a very long time. Most people have probably forgotten (or never knew) how influential Rush Limbaugh was on the GOP nationally.
Rush created the modern GOP base. He's also had a million people try and copy him with usually much less success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Shocktober has been really interesting to me. Those guys are tremendous pieces of poo poo and people just listened to them for hours every single day.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rush created the modern GOP base. He's also had a million people try and copy him with usually much less success.

Yeah alex jones's show persona started out entirely as him just doing a very bad Rush impression. Listing to Knowledge Fight and they'll dip into old eps from early 2000 and it just sounds like if Rush had even less charm.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't really wanna listen to Bryan's podcast series about shock jocks, but I think their impact is really understated. I remember when Chapo had on some radio guy who pointed out that the listener base for radio is enormous. That kind of racist poo poo was par for the course for a very long time. Most people have probably forgotten (or never knew) how influential Rush Limbaugh was on the GOP nationally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08ZIsSPKuo

quote:

Music: (C) 2008 Paul Shanklin/ EIB Network; Slideshow collaborated by M. L. Haehn II (C) 2009..... NOTE: NO RACIST COMMENTS - THIS IS NOT A NEO-NAZI VIDEO! ALL THIS VIDEO IS MEANT FOR IS TO ENTERTAIN AND POKE FUN AT REVEREND SHARPTON (and a little at the President) PRIMARILY DUE TO SHARPTON'S (and a little of Obama's) POLITICAL VIEWS!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah alex jones's show persona started out entirely as him just doing a very bad Rush impression. Listing to Knowledge Fight and they'll dip into old eps from early 2000 and it just sounds like if Rush had even less charm.

jones was a bush did 9/11 guy. he never parroted gop talking points wholesale until trump, only here and there

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

i say swears online posted:

jones was a bush did 9/11 guy. he never parroted gop talking points wholesale until trump, only here and there

No I mean his voice and presentation was just him trying to physically sound like Rush as much as possible not that he was doing Rush's talking points.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Bubba is my homie

https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1615518177999331329

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is from 1994 when Republicans won the House in Clinton's first term. Rush was huge.

House Republican newcomers made Rush Limbaugh an honorary class member tonight, a symbol of their gratitude for conservative talk-radio hosts who championed their campaigns.

Limbaugh was presented a "Majority Makers" pin, the emblem of the newcomers who have given their party majority status in the House for the first time in 40 years. Six GOP women in the class added their own special thanks, presenting Limbaugh with a plaque that said: "Rush was right." And Rep.-elect Barbara Cubin (R-Wyo.) added: "There's not a femiNazi among us."

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The first Greaseman shocktober episode is an all timer podcast for me

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s my hypothesis that the current GOP base was made at the Neshoba County Fair in 1980. Or at least it was solidified into its current shape.

Mississippi since the first whiffs of desegregation had been rocking between third party and then into Nixon then way out to Carter. But when Reagan showed up and gave a states rights speech practically on the graves of the freedom riders, Mississippi went GOP and has stayed there in the forty years since.

Rush and right wing media have jest been spreading the good word from Philadelphia, MS ever since.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

We love Hell on Earth don't we folks? You're hearing it more and more.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Chris isn't editing it so there isn't a bunch of soundboard poo poo and random music drops

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Thanks for explaining why it's not good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

terrorist ambulance posted:

Chris isn't editing it so there isn't a bunch of soundboard poo poo and random music drops

Never understood how Radiolab was (is?) so huge - I tried getting into it and it's nonstop that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I look forward to Hell On Earth episodes so we definitely love it itt

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

net work error posted:

I look forward to Hell On Earth episodes so we definitely love it itt

E: Chris's mention that we're closer to Martin Luther's time than they were to Christ's gave me a dumb guy whoaaaa moment.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

net work error posted:

E: Chris's mention that we're closer to Martin Luther's time than they were to Christ's gave me a dumb guy whoaaaa moment.

not just Christ, the Crusades.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

Never understood how Radiolab was (is?) so huge - I tried getting into it and it's nonstop that.

It probably leaked into the show as production went on. Like a boiling frog sitch.

Some dropins are fine, shakes up the audio landscape and helps make the editing process fun. Too many probably means a really bored editor.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The worst thing on radiolab is the host saying what someone said then playing a 1 second clip of them saying it 20 times in a 5 minute segment, I feel like I'm getting audio whiplash

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Podcast: "Which brings us to the Battle of Sarmizegetusa-" *muffled roar and clash of swords pipes in*
Me: *exhaling cheeto dust* "its like im there"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I had no idea that Brett and Bryan had a falling out and Street Fight Radio is no more. I had stopped listening a while back because Brett was acting a little off/aggro, especially after his divorce but apparently he was committed to the psych ward back in August and had a bad manic episode.

Really sucks to see and I wish the best for both of them. :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
MARGRAVES. I loving love margraves. People don't talk about margraves enough.

On the one hand, I like Chris' editing. On the other hand, I don't want to hear "It's free real estate" 76 times in a 76-minute episode about feudal baronies.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like that matt is saving all his words for hell on earth and just not speaking during regular eps

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
goddamnit matt just do that EU4 stream already gently caress

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I might have to get into these "Crusader Kings." Do they have a podcast?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I like that matt is saving all his words for hell on earth and just not speaking during regular eps
I was listening to the episode they did with the Palestinian journalist and I think he asked one question the entire time

Still a good ep though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

classic interview ep where you think it’s just the guest and will (or will and felix) til matt chimes in 45 min through

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I love matt but ffs, listening to him read his term paper into a mic is terrible. Also Chris should never be allowed to touch a mic.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Proust Malone posted:

I love matt but ffs, listening to him read his term paper into a mic is terrible. Also Chris should never be allowed to touch a mic.

It’s actually based

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

Bitch rear end hater

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Chris is a nice young man. He would help an old lady cross the street.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Matt getting inexplicably hoarse as gently caress while talking to Chris is half the appeal to me

Dude must be vaping like a chimney while not doing his bits

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drink some water matt. LA is drier than NYC or wisconsin

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Saving all his words to say “fear and trumbling”

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hell on Earth is good and y’all haters.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh I like it. Europe in the time period is wild and I never studied it so it’s a fun listen for me.

But Matt said “fear and trumbling” which is funny

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
mother fucker said re-conquest-uh

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mr. Grinch posted:

mother fucker said re-conquest-uh

the_menu-its_a_tortilla.ogg

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hell on Earth is good and Matt's history pods are a highlight for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

If you are digging Hell On Earth I strongly recommend the CV Wedgewood book. And then you can say you finally read a book written by a woman, too.