Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty posted:

Is that the nft ape game?

No this is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPOIe71v_k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1616288984896012288
the king has returned

Gaius Marius posted:

343 should probably be disbanded and the people divvied up into other studios that studio is a loving trashfire.
from the sound of it half the problems stem from above them with how microsoft manages their studios and hires a perpetual revovling door of 18 month contractors

and despite 343's bad track record i'm inclined to believe this because Microsoft's first party catalog is the worst aspect of the xbox one/series and they have a "FOX Primetime" level of cancelled/delayed projects

even now like. the stuff that interests me about Xbox in 2023 is indies and third party titles. i have a list of gamepass stuff coming in 2023 and it's pretty much all not-Microsoft. the one Microsoft owned game is Redfall, and then I guess if you really trust Todd Howard, Starfield

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 20, 2023

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

gently caress

YES

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

finally i have a reason to use my ipad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

gently caress

YES

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

finally i have a reason to use my ipad

Is it a port or a sequel?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

▲S: it's good, folks
The pace has sped up tremendously and Stuff is Happening, it's quite exciting! It's kinda hilarious how politically outmaneuvered my guys are atm, and I'll admit it's working on me, by which I mean the justice-seeking/vengeance-hungry regions of my brain are throbbing.
And now I'm wondering why they made the intro so slow, it's pretty silly. I guess they wanted us to spend several hours in peacetime so that we react in horror when war does finally break out, but like, of course a war was gonna break out, no gamer would ever be caught off guard by such a development

I'm playing on Normal, I'm not bad at these games and in fact have been having no issue with the combat so far, except... I just did a mission that took me four tries (chapter 7, takes place on a hill with wheat fields). Did I gently caress up by haphazardly levelling and improving everyone equally, even people with skillsets I don't care about? Was this particular mission merely a difficulty speedbump, and I'll be fine from now on? Or am I, in fact, bad at video games?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
spreading levels around isn't an issue because of how the game scales exp gain but you will not get enough weapon materials for everyone your first run

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is a stupid complaint, but the title predisposed me to thinking the game had little character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

343 should probably be disbanded and the people divvied up into other studios that studio is a loving trashfire.

Seems like they might actually be gutting the studio.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

from the sound of it half the problems stem from above them with how microsoft manages their studios and hires a perpetual revovling door of 18 month contractors

and despite 343's bad track record i'm inclined to believe this because Microsoft's first party catalog is the worst aspect of the xbox one/series and they have a "FOX Primetime" level of cancelled/delayed projects

even now like. the stuff that interests me about Xbox in 2023 is indies and third party titles. i have a list of gamepass stuff coming in 2023 and it's pretty much all not-Microsoft. the one Microsoft owned game is Redfall, and then I guess if you really trust Todd Howard, Starfield
Undoubtedly but from a business standpoint the very name is toxic, I ain't a Halo fan but some of the buddies are and they are not trusting a 343 product no time soon.

Secondly the fact that the company has been run so poorly for so long means even the people there who are skilled or talented have probably never gotten real direction or guidance and would do better in an environment conducive to creating an actual good product rather than sitting in the swamp hoping that they can drain it fast enough to salvage what is left of Halo.

None of this will happen, Tech is going to get hosed six ways to Sunday and it's entirely the fault of the companies, they've all been falling upwards for decades and now that the good times are ended the ax is going to fall on the people least responsible for the failures.

I just want to know why Firefox's spellcheck is so garbage, it thinks Dreamt isn't a word, learn English you piece of poo poo software.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

my apes...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regy Rusty posted:

But in what way? What is good about tactics ogres tedious plodding combat?

I have never found tactics ogres combat to be tedious or plodding in any way, but I have not played triangle strategy so I cant compare

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

this poo poo is hilarious

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's a wrap on Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider. Neat little retro cyberpunk Ninja Gaiden Shinobi joint.

So far in 2023 I have completed:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider

Up Next: Monster Hunter Rise, which does not have a colon, unlike Monster Hunter: World.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 20, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1616227834456059905

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That's not Caves Of Qud

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Just passed the 17 hour myself mark and it is so awesome.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please, please have the dlc end on a montage of Jack's life to the song "It was a very good year"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jay Rust posted:

And now I'm wondering why they made the intro so slow, it's pretty silly. I guess they wanted us to spend several hours in peacetime so that we react in horror when war does finally break out, but like, of course a war was gonna break out, no gamer would ever be caught off guard by such a development

It’s setup. It’s not a “horror of war” thing. They wanted to take their time and establish who all the players are, what they are like, what their motivations are, what the people within the country are like, ect. It then all pays off late game because you are constantly making choices about those people and places and the first part of the game setup all that lifting pays off because you seriously think about the consequences and people involved.

It doesn’t lead with its best foot forward I agree, but it wasn’t without purpose.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I love that everything else is just Ye Olde High Fantasy, and Jack is basically Alucard from Hellsing Abridged

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1615716748073869312?s=20&t=jw28K0Cu_jFgU3kNbMKAIA

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

speaking of, sounds like the layoffs at MS hit their game studios pretty hard.

around 30 artists at 343 alone, and that's just that one department.

(right on time for welcoming activision into their fold)

Oh, they bribed enough people for that purchase to go through?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dabir posted:

Oh, they bribed enough people for that purchase to go through?

no, it's still going to court afaik

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The guys giggling as they approached and the fir tree unable to stop smiling are wonderful things, but the dude just straight up somesaulting his way up to the robot that is going,"Nothing to see here, clearly" is the best.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looking great, and they've got Naganuma, too. Hope it doesn't stay in Switch jail for too long.

If nothing changed due to the delay, it's just one week Switch exclusive, then other consoles and PC.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

Jay Rust posted:

▲S: it's good, folks
The pace has sped up tremendously and Stuff is Happening, it's quite exciting! It's kinda hilarious how politically outmaneuvered my guys are atm, and I'll admit it's working on me, by which I mean the justice-seeking/vengeance-hungry regions of my brain are throbbing.

I'm playing on Normal, I'm not bad at these games and in fact have been having no issue with the combat so far, except... I just did a mission that took me four tries (chapter 7, takes place on a hill with wheat fields). Did I gently caress up by haphazardly levelling and improving everyone equally, even people with skillsets I don't care about? Was this particular mission merely a difficulty speedbump, and I'll be fine from now on? Or am I, in fact, bad at video games?

thought this was a response to the question above it "is this pocket card jockey a sequel or a port?" with the answer "S" for "sequel"

and then thought all the other things were added to the new pocket card jockey

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my favorite algorithm defeat story is still the one where self-driving cars could be defeated by drawing salt circles around them to keep them from moving like a medieval demon

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Henry Crustwheel posted:

thought this was a response to the question above it "is this pocket card jockey a sequel or a port?" with the answer "S" for "sequel"

and then thought all the other things were added to the new pocket card jockey

Secretariat: Seabiscut, you were behind all this!

Seabiscut: Twas I! My machinations lay undetected for years!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Runa posted:

I still laugh when I think about the original incarnation of the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvlGvvbLsw

Like drat, they were a couple years ahead of their time with this aesthetic and then backslid away into the most generic-looking shooter possible. Literally just a couple of years, cause that's when Overwatch came out.

Yeah, I don't think Overstrike/Fuse was ever destined to become a memorable game in its own right that people cared about but at least the originally pitched version had personality.

This article has Insomniac's CEO explain some of the bad decisions they made but he talks about it all like it's the coolest, smartest stuff ever. It's fun to read a decade later.

"Goddamn, photo-realistic violence is so loving cool, I love this poo poo" - Ted Price, Insomniac CEO, in 2012 (paraphrased)

Also IGN saying "we love it" and "utterly fantastic" in previews and then turning around to give it a 6.5 score.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

:hmmyes: pretty accurate

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Disagree on Lorenz but otherwise a good list.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Especially Mercedes, I hate that stupid hat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft treated all of its top executives this week to a really expensive concert with musician Sting; https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-execs-private-sting-show-davos-before-mass-layoff-announcement-2023-1 As a thank you for doing so poorly that they needed to let go over 10,000 employees.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
they should have gotten the wrestler sting instead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sting, but wearing a Sting mask

No, the other way around

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

If I remember correctly, Hilda no longer chants her own name when winning a fight after the time skip, so definite downgrade there

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gotham Knights also recently used this visual technique to little fanfare. In SO's case maybe it's just a bad looking thing to do to a smooth looking game.

It's bad in Gotham Knights as well.

That said I've been having way more fun with Gotham Knights than I expected. Been playing coop and it's been nice to have as something to jump into, do a couple nights of crime-fighting, upgrade some skills, customize a costume. I got it for $30 and I think if it had come out at that price point reviews would've been way more kind.

The tone is hilariously all over the place. Driving up to a group of criminals being arrested and beating the poo poo out of the cops never gets old. Batman's DEAD mothafuckas!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t believe they launched it without coop. It was patched in just a month later right? Should’ve just held the game back until that was ready

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

hatty posted:

Can’t believe they launched it without coop. It was patched in just a month later right? Should’ve just held the game back until that was ready

Oh drat I did not realize that. Coop feels integral to the fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The fact 4 player co-op is an entirely separate mode is even more of a bummer.

Been playing Gotham Knights co-op myself and tbh the VAs do a great job and the story is kind of enjoyable so far. The actual character writing feels solidly done so far too, and it's been cool learning about Jason Todd as I'm less familiar with him as a whole.

The Lazarus Pit magic powers are kinda silly though.

edit: the mook and civilian conversation writing has also been pretty great, we've both gotten a laugh out of it a number of times now.