Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

SettingSun posted:

This is a criminal who stole and attempted to launder several billion dollars worth of cryptocurrency lmao.

That’s one boss lady gilf alright ….

*shudder internally throughout*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
you know what makes the best raps? awkwardly trying to shove too many syllables into a rhyme and then slowly pronouncing every single one

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1612487021221810176

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 19, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of the big 'Bored Ape purchased? Turns out it was FTX

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/01/sbf-bored-apes-art-world-hangover

quote:

Increasingly, it looks as though the buyer was not a traditional art collector or even a human person that other Ape owners could welcome to a club. The blockchain is an opaque-at-best space, but in the months following the purchase, some close observers have settled on the idea that the buyer of the Apes at Sotheby’s was FTX, the crypto exchange that recently crashed and burned, resulting in an inquiry into the possible market machinations of its founder, Sam Bankman-Fried, who is currently charged with crimes related to the overnight disappearance of billions of his investors’ funds in the fall. (Bankman-Fried has pleaded not guilty and, in a statement, said he “did not steal funds.”)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Horseshoe theory posted:

The charge is operating an illegal money transmitting business, which is only 5 years maximum, so doubtful. Shocked they didn't him with violating the Bank Secrecy Act, etc. in addition, to be honest.
The indictment includes passages from the BSA, so there's more to it than that, so I have a feeling there's going to be a superceding indictment that levies a bunch of discrete charges.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Boxturret posted:

They should build a special prison out on an island somewhere for all the bitcoinmen. Ross, SBF, Roger, Craig Wright

Put them in Alcatraz.

No, don't shut down the tourist thing. Charge extra for gloating at the coiners.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Zopotantor posted:

Put them in Alcatraz.

No, don't shut down the tourist thing. Charge extra for gloating at the coiners.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the only way to truly hurt SBF and probably many other crypto losers is to take away their League of Legends

the prison part isnt really necessary, though extremely well deserved

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ad by Khad posted:

the only way to truly hurt SBF and probably many other crypto losers is to take away their League of Legends

Taking away LOL can only ever improve someone's life

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

He can keep LOL access but it forces him like six ranks up so he's constantly getting mashed

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ah look! The next round of AI-buzzword salad for crypto is here! "Noah's Ark". No end times referencing here, nope. Complete with...a cleopatra, a poo poo-surfing monkey which is totally not racist in any way, and Abe Lincoln! If you don't know what these all have in common, well...neither do I. However much in how it's immeasurably creative to go from FTX to GTX, these folks go from NFT to iNFT!
https://alethea.gitbook.io/alethea-ai-whitepaper/

Somehow this ties to poo poo like this: https://mycharacter.ai/character/profile/d1240b88-e2bb-4c53-bbb5-09e2ee4f38e0. animated impersonation of someone else. Note the words from the people who tried to promote this:

Alethea posted:

Alethea AI is building a decentralized protocol that will enable the creation of interactive and intelligent NFTs (iNFTs). Noah's Ark has a bold aim: To preserve and evolve the culture and collective intelligence of the human species.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

that away teh SHRIMP™️

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Holy poo poo lol the criminal complaint for the bitzlato guy has transcripts of conversations between users and the bitzlato help desk

quote:

On or about December 27, 2017, a user with the username “Dude Weed” wrote to Bitzlato’s customer service portal, stating: “I have a bitcoin wallet in my account on the Hydra site. I also have a wallet here . . . How do I recharge a Hydra wallet”? The user also provided transaction details. Based on my training and experience, this query reflects the user’s desire to send funds from Bitzlato to Hydra. A Bitzlato representative responded: “Hello dude weed,” apologized for the delay in the transaction, and stated that “The transaction successfully went online.” ...

On or about May 5, 2021, a user asked whether he could “exchange dirty bitcoin for Sber without problems here”—an apparent reference to Sberbank, a Russian bank. A Bitzlato representative asked the user to clarify, and he wrote: “Well for example the person sent me to my wallet bitcoins taken from darknet, some kind of illegal exchanges, as far as I know they automatically get to dirty bitcoins. So my question is, when I transfer them to Sberbank in rubles, can I change them?” The Bitzlato representative responded that “In this case there are no limitations from the service in this matter.”

quote:

On or about September 12, 2022, Bitzlato blocked a user’s account and asked him to verify his identity. The user responded that he would provide “a woman’s” identity documents, adding: “Am I an idiot to verify myself? Verify the ‘drop.’” The user added that he would be transferring ransomware proceeds and “a payment from Hydra” to his Bitzlato account. The Bitzlato customer service representative responded that an account verified in the name of the user’s “drop,” or straw man, would “belong to your drop,” and concluded: “Okay, we are waiting for the application.”

Drop, apparently, is Russian slang for a straw man used to bypass kyc checks

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Getting customer support on your crimes, what an innovation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I never thought to ask my bank "can I launder dirt money here?".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Popete posted:

I never thought to ask my bank "can I launder dirt money here?".

That's why you're stuck in Web2 or whatever while they're surfing sewers in the future

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ah look! The next round of AI-buzzword salad for crypto is here! "Noah's Ark". No end times referencing here, nope. Complete with...a cleopatra, a poo poo-surfing monkey which is totally not racist in any way, and Abe Lincoln! If you don't know what these all have in common, well...neither do I. However much in how it's immeasurably creative to go from FTX to GTX, these folks go from NFT to iNFT!
https://alethea.gitbook.io/alethea-ai-whitepaper/

Somehow this ties to poo poo like this: https://mycharacter.ai/character/profile/d1240b88-e2bb-4c53-bbb5-09e2ee4f38e0. animated impersonation of someone else. Note the words from the people who tried to promote this:

Oh my god I started to read bits and pieces of this and it's just so nonsensical and cringeworthy

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

webcams for christ posted:

lol I missed this from yesterday, ends with a real zinger:
https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1615819935200038914

quote:

Billionaire was early mainstream investor in the digital currency but VC fund no longer has significant exposure

Founders Fund, the venture capital firm co-founded by billionaire Peter Thiel, closed almost all of its eight-year bet on cryptocurrencies shortly before the market began to crash last year, generating about $1.8bn in returns.

The San Francisco-based fund made its first investment in bitcoin in early 2014 and went on to invest large sums in crypto. About two-thirds of its overall investment was used to buy bitcoin, said people close to the fund.

Founders Fund sold out of the vast majority of its entire cryptocurrency portfolio by the end of March 2022 — before the digital assets market became swept up in a crisis in May last year, said one of the people close to the fund.

The fund currently has no significant exposure to cryptocurrencies, the people said. The winding-down of its crypto bet has not previously been reported. Founders Fund declined to comment.

In April 2022, about the same time that Founders Fund sold out of most of its cryptocurrency holdings, Thiel said he was optimistic about the future of bitcoin. He told a cryptocurrency conference in Miami that “we’re at the end of the fiat money regime” and suggested its price — which was then trading at about $44,000 — could increase by a factor of 100.

Thiel said JPMorgan chief executive Jamie Dimon and BlackRock boss Larry Fink “need to be allocating some of their money to bitcoin”, adding: “We need to push back on them.”

Founders Fund’s shift on crypto, which had been one of its core positions, was one of about nine big exits the venture fund made between 2020 and the end of last year that allowed it to return roughly $13bn to investors.

Other exits also included the initial public offerings of companies it had backed since their early fundraisings, such as Airbnb and Palantir, the data analytics group that Thiel co-founded.

The fund is in talks to take an equity stake in OpenAI, the developer behind chatbot ChatGPT, at a valuation of $29bn.

bitcoin hit a huge drop in april after rising in march

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

Oh my god I started to read bits and pieces of this and it's just so nonsensical and cringeworthy

idk makes sense to me

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I skimmed it and it's pretty much NFTs combined with chatbots and Pokemon. There's other stuff about metaverses and personalities shaped by real people but it's all meaningless "what-if" fluff. Oh and it seems like you can pay more money to make your NFT's AI better, lol

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
:rolleyes: people will be milking this poo poo forever won't they?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I yearn for the return to the Nigerian prince scams. Such a quaint time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Why is Performing Higher Order Services capitalized hrrrrrnngggggg

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Popete posted:

idk makes sense to me

I know I've seen that board before

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

I yearn for the return to the Nigerian prince scams. Such a quaint time.

quote:

Dear Mr./Mrs. Gutcruncher,

URGENT REPLY REQUESTED

My name is Ubundu Mwande and I am councilor to the esteemed Nigerian prince Abacha Tunde. In 2018 Tunde minted Nigeria's first royal NFT and in the following time it has greatly appreciated in value, especially within our home country's exchange. Unfortunately, political turmoil has driven my lord from the country and he is unable to access is cryptographic wallet. I have reached out to you in good faith that you can help the royal family reclaim this valuable digital artifact.

The exchange will not release to NFT to the royal family's wallet for political reasons. However, you can purchase the NFT as our proxy. A certain amount of bitcoin must be transferred to this wallet xxxxxxxx. If you would supply this bitcoin to release the NFT, we will 'purchase' it from your wallet for its full appraised value: bitcoin currently valued at $18,000,000 american dollars.

The amount requested by the exchange is a trifle: $9,000 in equivalent value bitcoin. Our trust in you is great in that you will move swiftly on this matter before the royal family's political rivals discover the NFT on the exchange.

Please acknowledge receipt of this message by contacting me on telegram: xxxxxxxx

Regards,

Ubuntu Bwagi
Councilor to his majesty Abatha Tundra

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Not enough bad Grammer or spelling errors.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Speak of the devil!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

Holy poo poo lol the criminal complaint for the bitzlato guy has transcripts of conversations between users and the bitzlato help desk

Drop, apparently, is Russian slang for a straw man used to bypass kyc checks

Love to aid crimes, especially ones that would require filing Suspicious Activity Reports!

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Boxturret posted:

Getting customer support on your crimes, what an innovation.

There are straight up ransomware kits that come with customer support, basically Ransomware-as-a-Service to the point where people who get locked down can call the support # given to get instructions on how to get crypto to unlock their poo poo.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Blorange posted:

I know I've seen that board before

But they reversed the order! Nobody will ever know!

Just like GTX.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mercury_Storm posted:

Don't worry the biosphere's got like ten more years, tops.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wayback posted:

There are straight up ransomware kits that come with customer support, basically Ransomware-as-a-Service to the point where people who get locked down can call the support # given to get instructions on how to get crypto to unlock their poo poo.

wasn't there a time where they had to unlock the computers for free because the bitcoin payment was down?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Given that a small few have gotten rich off crypto, NFTs and all this other insane poo poo, yes, these scams will continue forever unless they are made illegal and actually enforced.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Boxturret posted:

wasn't there a time where they had to unlock the computers for free because the bitcoin payment was down?

Yes, I remember reading about some older woman getting ransomwared and she actually tried to pay up by driving around to bitcoin ATMs but couldn’t get them to work. She called the ransomware help desk and they just unlocked her computer for free rather than deal with doing bitcoin ransom tech support.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yes, I remember reading about some older woman getting ransomwared and she actually tried to pay up by driving around to bitcoin ATMs but couldn’t get them to work. She called the ransomware help desk and they just unlocked her computer for free rather than deal with doing bitcoin ransom tech support.

Why bother unlocking it at all though, did they suddenly grow a conscience?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

putin is a oval office posted:

look, they didn't want to get a scammer tag

if the crypto lockers got a bad reputation people wouldn't pay them

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

putin is a oval office posted:

Because they were businessmen, running a very legitimate and upstanding business.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The scammer you talk to on the phone gets paid poo poo and at a certain point they just don't want to deal with you anymore.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And funnily enough reputation does sort of matter with this sort of scam. As it's very openly a scam making it know hey were crooks, but if you pay you will actually unlock you stuff makes people much more likely to pay.

For my job a while back I needed to keep track of various IT scams and what not, and I remember at the time when ever the ransom ware stuff was mentioned on IT news/security places they'd always mention, while it's not really ethical to pay, if you do they will get you're computer unencrypted.

This is slightly different because they didn't pay. But having a reputation for not being utter dicks and being understanding about stuff, might make some people more inclined to just pay up. Like good PR never hurts.

Just look at the long history of crooks, gangsters, cartel members and what not that would give small bits of there cash to help out local people in need and what not.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 20, 2023

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Good loving God. His lawyer is going to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Genesis finally declares bankruptcy