Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Patware posted:

never question carol in this subforum again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This is a statement and not a question: I don’t like her dead doll eyes

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

heretics must be purged

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont care about the character i just think her manga is boring

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I have the right, nay, the duty to question carol.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

et tu?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I for one are shocked and appalled at the revelation that sir Perv Asshat, previously established to be of noble lineage through his engagement, turned out to be a less-than-reputable character.

Edit: I do like how it never seems to occur to Cid to tell his friend to bet on himself

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 20, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Islamic Shock posted:

Edit: I do like how it never seems to occur to Cid to tell his friend to bet on himself

His friend would stop being a fellow mob character if he had any success. It would ruin Cid's mob camouflage

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you think those are his friends?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

M_Gargantua posted:

His friend would stop being a fellow mob character if he had any success. It would ruin Cid's mob camouflage
That's part of why it's funny- he's so ingrained into being a mob that he's completely immune to the idea of helping his friend associate in any meaningful way.

It's a parody of Chūnibyō that occasionally reminds you it's a parody of Chūnibyō, and I eat that poo poo up.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/48316/Kage_no_Jitsuryokusha_ni_Naritakute if you ain't familiar, this season is a lot of good poo poo after all

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 20, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I honestly thought she was just calling him Perv Asshat because she hated him, then I realized it's not that far from some of the goofy names the author gave the tournament participants.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah his name is Perv Asshat. He's a real scumbag. I can't wait for Cid to meet him.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Spoilers for The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World:
This is an OP harem fantasy and I'd be pretty damned surprised if anyone showed any more complexity than that

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is an OP harem fantasy and I'd be pretty damned surprised if anyone showed any more complexity than that

Is the harem any good?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Is the harem any good?

In the manga, they're a pretty likeable bunch. They also get opportunities to do cool poo poo on their own because the protagonist is a socially-inept ex-child soldier who's held back from overusing his enormous magical power by his old war wounds - the current arc is about the main girl entering an inter-school tournament and cleaning house while the MC is doing bureaucratic and event security work on the organising committee. Can't speak for the anime, though.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Namtab posted:

Is the harem any good?
Eh the reviews on MAL probably answer that better than I could. I'll give 5:1 if the usual "jealous harem girls cockblock the poo poo out of the MC in a desperate attempt to be their first" subplot doesn't happen.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 20, 2023

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Darth Walrus posted:

In the manga, they're a pretty likeable bunch. They also get opportunities to do cool poo poo on their own because the protagonist is a socially-inept ex-child soldier who's held back from overusing his enormous magical power by his old war wounds - the current arc is about the main girl entering an inter-school tournament and cleaning house while the MC is doing bureaucratic and event security work on the organising committee. Can't speak for the anime, though.

Based on the first 2 episodes the anime seems to be mixing that arc into the first so it can make the 12 episode cut.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd also say that the harem elements in the manga aren't especially developed (as of about 40-50 chapters in). There's several girls who like the protagonist, but the main female lead is the only one who's getting serious romantic development with him so far, and even that's in the relatively early days. Mostly, they're just a large, disproportionately female group of friends.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eh the reviews on MAL probably answer that better than I could. I'll give 5:1 if the usual "jealous harem girls cockblock the poo poo out of the MC in a desperate attempt to be their first" subplot doesn't happen.

I'mma be honest here and say that harem anime would be way more interesting if that was actually what happened, the more devious the better/funnier.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'mma be honest here and say that harem anime would be way more interesting if that was actually what happened, the more devious the better/funnier.

It worked for Villainess?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno if there's an anime where it did work well in and I'll take your word for it but in general the idea of the harem being a crab bucket regarding the MC isn't something I feel I've experienced in anime in the way I'm picturing it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Walrus posted:

Darth Walrus touched on it a little earlier in the thread but the anime has removed most of the characterization that the secondary characters had in the manga and made them incredibly bland. They also removed a lot of the little moments where they bonded with the protagonist and shared parts of their history which explained their motivations and goals and instead they just fawn over the protagonist. Eg: there's a scene where he goes to a clothing store with Amelia and she reveals that she's never been able to buy clothes just for herself before because she's from an important aristocratic family and her outfits were always chosen for her all her life, but Ray manages to convince her to try new things and see herself in a different light for the first time. She trips and falls out of the change room and Ray catches her and they nearly have a moment but then they both realise she's not wearing much so they both get embarrassed and shy. In the anime they just go to a shop and she tries on a bunch of outfits because it's fun, but then she sees a spider in the change room and gets scared so she runs out in her underwear and clings to Ray.

There's tons and tons of changes like that. In the manga there's an entire chapter where the four main characters have to work together to defeat a powerful monster and Elisa finally conquers her fear and realises she can support the others with ranged magic from the rear lines and it turns out she has super powerful magic, so they all work together and bond as a team. In the anime the monster appears and Ray dashes forwards and instantly kills it before anyone else can even react and then they all fawn over him.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is the archery show any good? I might drop Giant Beasts and try watching that instead.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's not like a traditional sports show, both because archery as a sport is kind of its own thing and it has more of the Kyoani SOL club vibes surrounding the competitions and drama. I wasn't as hot on the first season but have really been enjoying this one so far.

And uh yeah, it's actually a sequel.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

haypliss posted:

And uh yeah, it's actually a sequel.

Wow, I somehow missed that fact lol. Maybe I'll just add it to the backlog for later

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The first season was in 2018 but didn't really make waves or anything, and then you have stuff like the arson and covid that would hold back production even if they had been ready to go on S2 sooner (no idea). The recap movie is releasing in english this year so you could always try that and then jump into S2.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
After finally getting into the last bits of whatever crud I picked up at Anime Los Angeles (WEAR MASKS, YOU DISGUSTING WEEB FUCKS!), I'm able to opine on what I've watched so far this season.

-Aggretsuko hasn't been broadcast, yet. Still looking forward to it.

-Spy Classroom Never thought I'd find espionage to be as exciting as a lecture series on the economic impact of toe fungus in Guatemala being delivered by Ben Stein, but here we are. DROPPED

-Ayakashi Triangle More fanservice than the all the HVAC contractors in Arizona, and about as interesting. They wisely focused their animation budget on the action and the anime tiddy, though the latter has pictures of that fat bastard of a cat slapped all over them.DROPPED

-Buddy Daddies This one hurts. The animation is top notch, the action scenes are fun, the male leads are engaging, and the basic concept should make for a fine series. I really wanted to like it, but the kid grates on my nerves worse than nails on a chalkboard. I can't watch it for five minutes without wanting to give her a Ritalin smoothie with a Thorazine chaser. I still hope the show finds an audience, just one without me in it.DROPPED

-Urusei Yatsura and Eminence in Shadow are leftovers from fall that I'm continuing or completing, and both of those are still decent enough. Continuing.

-Rougo ni Sonaete Isekai de 8-manmai no Kinka wo Tamemasu and Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi are both serviceable shows, but nothing to jump up and down about either. I could drop them both and not notice, but I'll keep going for now. Continuing.

-Benriya Saitou-san, Isekai ni Iku is more a loosely connected series of vignettes that cover multiple stories in the same world than any central character or group's story. Just as disposable as the above two, but it doesn't take as much effort to stay involved so I'll likely finish this one. Continuing.

-Toutotsu ni Egypt Shin - Second season of a delightful series of shorts starring the various deities of Ancient Egypt. Continuing.

-Onii-chan wa Oshimai I'm enjoying this series a lot, and the overarching story is rather wholesome, as a pair of siblings re-discover the closeness of family they had forgotten via extraordinary circumstances. I just wish it'd just change some of the camera angles. Continuing.

-NieR:Autotomato Gorgeous animation, fluid action, great characters, and a story that's about as clear as mud. Even if he didn't write this series, it's as Yoko Taro as it gets and I wouldn't want it any other way. The post-credits segments are a truly inspired way to deal with the multiple endings of the game. Must watch.

-Trigun Stampede - Compelling story, identifiable and nuanced characters, awesome music, and Studio Orange continues to lead the way in showing how 3D CGI can work in an anime. Perfect? No. But really good stuff, Maynard. Must watch.

So far, Winter's been okay, but after coming off such a spectacular Fall it's hard not to feel a bit anti-climatic about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Doodles posted:

-Onii-chan wa Oshimai I'm enjoying this series a lot, and the overarching story is rather wholesome, as a pair of siblings re-discover the closeness of family they had forgotten via extraordinary circumstances. I just wish it'd just change some of the camera angles. Continuing.

Jesus Christ.

Ok that poster who went on a rant several seasons ago about how "wholesome" is becoming misused to the point of being meaningless was 100% correct.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doodles posted:

:yikes:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Doodles posted:

After finally getting into the last bits of whatever crud I picked up at Anime Los Angeles (WEAR MASKS, YOU DISGUSTING WEEB FUCKS!), I'm able to opine on what I've watched so far this season.

-Aggretsuko hasn't been broadcast, yet. Still looking forward to it.

-Spy Classroom Never thought I'd find espionage to be as exciting as a lecture series on the economic impact of toe fungus in Guatemala being delivered by Ben Stein, but here we are. DROPPED

-Ayakashi Triangle More fanservice than the all the HVAC contractors in Arizona, and about as interesting. They wisely focused their animation budget on the action and the anime tiddy, though the latter has pictures of that fat bastard of a cat slapped all over them.DROPPED

-Buddy Daddies This one hurts. The animation is top notch, the action scenes are fun, the male leads are engaging, and the basic concept should make for a fine series. I really wanted to like it, but the kid grates on my nerves worse than nails on a chalkboard. I can't watch it for five minutes without wanting to give her a Ritalin smoothie with a Thorazine chaser. I still hope the show finds an audience, just one without me in it.DROPPED

-Urusei Yatsura and Eminence in Shadow are leftovers from fall that I'm continuing or completing, and both of those are still decent enough. Continuing.

-Rougo ni Sonaete Isekai de 8-manmai no Kinka wo Tamemasu and Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi are both serviceable shows, but nothing to jump up and down about either. I could drop them both and not notice, but I'll keep going for now. Continuing.

-Benriya Saitou-san, Isekai ni Iku is more a loosely connected series of vignettes that cover multiple stories in the same world than any central character or group's story. Just as disposable as the above two, but it doesn't take as much effort to stay involved so I'll likely finish this one. Continuing.

-Toutotsu ni Egypt Shin - Second season of a delightful series of shorts starring the various deities of Ancient Egypt. Continuing.

-NieR:Autotomato Gorgeous animation, fluid action, great characters, and a story that's about as clear as mud. Even if he didn't write this series, it's as Yoko Taro as it gets and I wouldn't want it any other way. The post-credits segments are a truly inspired way to deal with the multiple endings of the game. Must watch.

-Trigun Stampede - Compelling story, identifiable and nuanced characters, awesome music, and Studio Orange continues to lead the way in showing how 3D CGI can work in an anime. Perfect? No. But really good stuff, Maynard. Must watch.

So far, Winter's been okay, but after coming off such a spectacular Fall it's hard not to feel a bit anti-climatic about it.

Nice to see we found ANNs Onimai reviewer.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Splode posted:

Jesus Christ.

Ok that poster who went on a rant several seasons ago about how "wholesome" is becoming misused to the point of being meaningless was 100% correct.

Guide to the current anime season:
The anime with Mahiru: Wholesome, feel free to discuss.
The anime with Mahiro: Anime non grata. Wholesome?
The anime with Mashiro: A lot hornier than the previous one, so no one has tried calling it wholesome yet. Should probably specify that you're watching it ironically or "just to see how bad it is" when discussing it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't quite see where Giant Beasts is going. According to the opening and the english credits they're still getting the band together, as it were, so these early episodes aren't really touching on whatever kind of overarching plot the show might have. Ah well, staying for the cat puns.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tamba posted:

Guide to the current anime season:
The anime with Mahiru: Wholesome, feel free to discuss.
The anime with Mahiro: Anime non grata. Wholesome?
The anime with Mashiro: A lot hornier than the previous one, so no one has tried calling it wholesome yet. Should probably specify that you're watching it ironically or "just to see how bad it is" when discussing it.

No one gonna stop you from watching Onimai, just don't talk about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please dont talk about how youre watching it ironically

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it doesn't take that much brain power to understand what is and is not acceptable to post about on somethingawful

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Colonel posted:

i think it doesn't take that much brain power to understand what is and is not acceptable to post about on somethingawful

and yet people get probated all the time so either it's harder than you think, or people are really dumb.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

Considering the vast internal cultural differences between the various subforums (especially poo poo like FYAD/GBS and others), I'd say this is not even close to a given.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

anyone who has decided to watch that thing should be able to figure out really quickly not to talk about it in public based on the very first episode and i should've been more clear about it from much earlier on

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Considering the vast internal cultural differences between the various subforums (especially poo poo like FYAD/GBS and others), I'd say this is not even close to a given.

what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gonna go talk about onimai in fyad, brb