Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Internet! gently caress this stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
There needs to be a gently caress a job emote cos fr, gently caress a job

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

gently caress a dang job

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

I had an interview in December, not sure if I posted about it. It was really just a tour of the shop and meeting a few people and discussing what the different departments do for the company. salary or other compensation was not discussed. I wasn't actually offered a job; they couched it in "this position doesn't exist yet and we're not sure when we'll get it going."

I get a text today, not from the boss of the company, or the HR guy I set up the meeting with, but from my college homie who works there. he said the job is mine if I want it, and that they want me to start soon.

but obviously I'm not keen on accepting a job without an agreement about compensation. I asked for an amount, 6 an hour more than I make at my dumb food industry job. They countered with a number 3 more than what I make, and that if it works out getting the pay bump should be doable. I'm just not sure if I should jump ship for 3 more an hour. the commute is way, way longer, and considering I get tips at my current job I'm not actually sure it would effectively be a raise. the job itself is much more interesting than what I do, I'm just not sure that outweighs everything else. god I hate looking for jobs.

Farecoal

There he go
How much longer is the commute? I absolutely don't think it would be worth it to sacrifice a lot more of your time sitting in traffic or on the bus/train for a raise that may not even equal your current wage + tips. Unless your current job is really soul-sucking, or something

Ass-penny

right now I drive 10-15 minutes. this place is a half hour drive around noon, but during morning rush hour I'm sure it'll be 45-60 minutes.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Is the extra commute gonna mean a significant increase in wear on your car, or do you take public transport? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Personally I would totally jump ship for $3 to get away from working with food, but that's because I'm a miserable bastard. If you still kinda enjoy your job, it's a bit tougher of a choice. Be wary of anything your employer says "should" happen, though.

Does it seem like advancement is a realistic possibility at the new place?

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Ass-penny

yeah advancement seems feasible. I do drive myself so it's wear and tear on my car, on the other hand my cat is a piece of poo poo, and honestly I drive it to deliver pizzas sometimes, so it'll probably be less hard on my car than weeks where I have to run a lot of them.

also I guess there is employer sponsored insurance, some PTO accrual, and a 401k with employer matching, so I suppose realistically those things account for some additional money the company would be sending my way, even if it isn't showing up on my checks.

xcheopis

rear end-penny posted:

yeah advancement seems feasible. I do drive myself so it's wear and tear on my car, on the other hand my cat is a piece of poo poo, and honestly I drive it to deliver pizzas sometimes, so it'll probably be less hard on my car than weeks where I have to run a lot of them.

also I guess there is employer sponsored insurance, some PTO accrual, and a 401k with employer matching, so I suppose realistically those things account for some additional money the company would be sending my way, even if it isn't showing up on my checks.

I took my current job for the pto and insurance. The wage is good (well. for any place not SF Bay) but it's the sick time and a cap of $15 per prescription refill that got me.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Chewbecca

Having healthcare tied to employment is crazy, I can't

I took my current job as I was assured it would be less stress and a manageable workload spoiler alert: it was not less stress and the workload is not manageable lol

3 days in office (currently), good super, leave is standard everywhere

The commute is a bit of a gently caress at 45 minutes to an hour each way on public transport m,but I don't mind getting out of the house

Escape From Noise

I think you mentioned the job was something you were more interested in. That is a hell of a commute back, especially for a morning commute, so I get being wary of that.

On the other hand the newer job has a lot of benefits beyond your immediate paycheck. Health insurance is huge IMO. Also those other things. I also know you struggle with depression. I do as well and when I've worked jobs with a shift schedule, late hours, and uncertain days off it's been really bad for my mental health. That may not be the case for you, but it's something that I always link together. Just maybe something to consider.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Ass-penny

thank you for the input everyone. yeah I'm obviously a little wary. surprisingly I typically have a really predictable schedule for the food industry, so that is one thing not super on my mind. I feel like day jobs in the past have exacerbated my depression but I don't know if it was the hours, the job (or the people you work with), or what that made those jobs hard on that. honestly sometimes they were great. lol I really should see someone and get a diagnosis if I want to be serious about trying to address my depression. cutting back on drinking just isn't enough.

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

thank you for the input everyone. yeah I'm obviously a little wary. surprisingly I typically have a really predictable schedule for the food industry, so that is one thing not super on my mind. I feel like day jobs in the past have exacerbated my depression but I don't know if it was the hours, the job (or the people you work with), or what that made those jobs hard on that. honestly sometimes they were great. lol I really should see someone and get a diagnosis if I want to be serious about trying to address my depression. cutting back on drinking just isn't enough.

Oh, sorry for making those assumptions! I guess that was more my own experiences and mental health is not a one size fits all thing. But yeah, sounds like it's not a very easy decision then.

Good luck and we're here for ya!

Escape From Noise

I guess I just really hated working service industry so I kind of brought in a lot of my own baggage there.

Heather Papps

hello friend

today at work was pretty good. a new resident who got covid and went to the hospital came back and i helped get him changed this morning and he was really pleasant to work with, so that's good. you never know how people are gonna be, it's nice when they make things easy.

also the highway was closed today from last night till still being closed this morning. apparently a pedestrian was killed and i'm thinking it might have been a mennonite kid, cause they dress all in black and sometimes hang around the road.

work sucks but i didn't become roadkill today so that's a plus.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

Escape From Noise posted:

I guess I just really hated working service industry so I kind of brought in a lot of my own baggage there.

there's a lot to hate about it! the short list is: customers.

Escape From Noise

Yeah. Sure. Ask me to run deliveries on a brew day I have had scheduled for almost two weeks.

I love how this chucklefuck keeps asking me to write my schedule down on the big dry erase calendar. I do, and say what days I'll be brewing in the group text and he keeps pulling this poo poo.

Escape From Noise

Ah man. I left the outlet for the chiller open after chilling the wort for souring and accidentally dumped like 100 liters. Bleh

Ass-penny

I accepted that position I was offered. regular people hours here I come :confuoot:

Chewbecca

rear end-penny posted:

I accepted that position I was offered. regular people hours here I come :confuoot:

Goongrats!! When do you start?

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

rear end-penny posted:

goonbyobulations!!!

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Ass-penny

Chewbecca posted:

Goongrats!! When do you start?

the 7th of February, but I'm sure it will be the 8th on your side of the planet.

Chewbecca

rear end-penny posted:

the 7th of February, but I'm sure it will be the 8th on your side of the planet.

How do you feel? Relieved? Happy? Nervous? Ambivalent?

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Congrats on your soon-to-improve sanity!

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Ass-penny

Chewbecca posted:

How do you feel? Relieved? Happy? Nervous? Ambivalent?

nervous but cautiously optimistic

SC sanity is not a guarantee, since my commute will involve being stuck in traffic with all the other worker drones for 4-5 times as long as my current commute lasts but thanks all the same

Chewbecca

rear end-penny posted:

nervous but cautiously optimistic

SC sanity is not a guarantee, since my commute will involve being stuck in traffic with all the other worker drones for 4-5 times as long as my current commute lasts but thanks all the same

Try not to let anything get in your brain too much the first couple of weeks. There will be hiccups and weirdness starting out in any new job but try to give it a real red hot go!!

Farecoal

There he go
Strongly considering becoming some sort of huckster, or perhaps a con-man

Ass-penny

Farecoal posted:

I tried that latter, turns out I lacked confidence

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Farecoal posted:

i've been considering a career as a conjuror of cheap tricks

Escape From Noise

I'm pretty sure I'm out of Fuggle. Dag!

xcheopis

While I do have issues with my boss, she is very good about time off for health and recovery (of any kind). I'm absolutely exhausted from yesterday, so I emailed that I would be coming in a few hours late and she told me to take the day to fully rest.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
This month, good lord.

The non-work poo poo: I tore a muscle in my back the day after Xmas. Full on crouched over in my mom's driveway in another state trying to tell my husband he needs to come back around the car to buckle in the kid and go on to the park without me. This means three weeks of apologizing to an almost two year old because I can't pick her up, I promise I still love you I'm just hurt oh God that face. Then I got strep throat, then my husband got strep throat, now the child has strep, hand foot and mouth, and a skin infection behind one ear. Feeling like the worst parents since she was acting perfectly happy while we were sick and miserable so we didn't take her to the doctor until daycare made us and we could've gotten her antibiotics ages ago.

The work poo poo: I swear it's like every client we have woke up January 1st and thought "Brand new year! Better email DaChurl with three to five new projects and ask for a status report before she's even had a chance to set up the file!" My direct boss is out for an indeterminate amount of time while her son goes through chemo (thankfully prognosis is very good after surgery) so I have to work with the owner who has a tendency to micromanage and wants me to switch from tracking my projects in an Excel spreadsheet to Trello. I am still the only person that does what I do since I haven't had time to teach the new ladies more than the very basics and they're mostly busy helping with other stuff now anyway.

The new poo poo just keeps piling up and I keep having to call in sick and everything is bullshit and I just want to go back to bed.

At least I didn't have to show my boss a doctor's note when I took off 3 days for strep. They automatically give you one at the urgent care and I'd forgotten some companies actually require that bullshit like we're still in highschool or something.

DaChurl

One more new project request and three follow-ups I don't have any progress updates for since this morning. My brain is in full revolt and I'm just sitting at my desk reading random bullshit on my phone instead of doing any actual work. It's snowing outside and I just want to cuddle with a sick toddler and pretend work doesn't exist. I know I remembered to take my Adderall this morning, but it's just made me very focused on avoiding work.

Sorry for being such a bummer today. Hope everyone else is in a better headspace.

Chewbecca

DaChurl posted:

One more new project request and three follow-ups I don't have any progress updates for since this morning. My brain is in full revolt and I'm just sitting at my desk reading random bullshit on my phone instead of doing any actual work. It's snowing outside and I just want to cuddle with a sick toddler and pretend work doesn't exist. I know I remembered to take my Adderall this morning, but it's just made me very focused on avoiding work.

Sorry for being such a bummer today. Hope everyone else is in a better headspace.

That sounds tough friend. I hope your little one feels better soon and work starts feeling a little easier!

Chewbecca

On the old mate chewb front - tomorrow is a public holiday in god's chosen country, so no work. Work always seems slightly easier on the day before a public holiday!!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Chewbecca posted:

On the old mate chewb front - tomorrow is a public holiday in god's chosen country, so no work. Work always seems slightly easier on the day before a public holiday!!

hell yes

Escape From Noise

They're delaying putting the Biere de Noël on tap until the next beer runs out. The imperial stout has already been delayed for a while so I won't be kegging it for a few weeks as it keeps being kicked down the road. Who knows how long it'll take them to actually put it on tap though. Nothing I make sells out in less than 3 months so it looks like we're going to have imperial stout on tap at the beginning of the summer. Perfect. That'll sell great.

DaChurl

Chewbecca posted:

That sounds tough friend. I hope your little one feels better soon and work starts feeling a little easier!

Thanks, chewbs. She's acting like she feels great, she even did a whole elaborate bit this morning where she tossed her shirt in the hallway, shut her bedroom door and kept saying "where shirt?" shrugging with her hands out and looking around. When I opened the door she went over to it and said "Hi shirt!" then came back and closed the door again saying "Bye shirt!" This of course, led right back into asking where the shirt went. Also, shirt sounds more like shirp. She's such a ham, I love it.
Hope you're enjoying your day off!

more falafel please

forums poster

hey guess what

your "agile" process where you say "we definitely can't start work on our project until we've done a few more sprints worth of planning because we don't know all the work we'll have to do yet" means you're doing waterfall. it's just loving waterfall.

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

"but once we get all the planning done we'll know all the work! and then we can just knock it all out"

buddy we don't even know what year we're shipping this in. we don't know how the rest of the project is going to react to us saying we're gonna mess with fundamentals of the game. we have absolutely no idea what the work is going to be yet, and we are Never Going To Know until we start working on it

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!