Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

Wonder what the odds are that we'll ever see Jack and Jenny again. Maybe they just showed up to be out-of-character plot puppets for a minute and that's their final curtain.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. For some reason yelling at Annie for something that's not her fault is a common swan song in this comic. I guess maybe the knowledge that they wont be showing up again means Tom is free to have them just chew Annie out for some cheap drama or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah, like i noted before: burn a character to ash in the eyes of the Loyal Reader to force sympathy onto Annie's side without her really having to do anything to earn it. this might be the wildest example yet

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Didn't someone quote one of Tom's retrospectives and say that Red's role in the story was done and that was how she made her exit?

Awesome, love to burn one of the more interesting throwaway characters + a character who had a major part in several chapters for a completely incoherent row at the main character :shepface:

Also, leafing through the comments and a TON of people are confused about the Jerrek+Lana cutaway, asking if it means Annie knows Jerrek is Loup.

Some people still clinging to the idea that it's one of Zimmy's illusions or otherwise affecting them via paranoia.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
earlier this chapter is this page. it seems pretty fuckin clear that Annie doesn't want to kill Loup but thinks she'll have to, whether she likes it or not. this is completely loving incongruous with her dialogue in yesterday's page.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I cannot wait for every other character to be character assassinated to make annie look less bad and bland.

She refused and had a whole arc just to regress again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

earlier this chapter is this page. it seems pretty fuckin clear that Annie doesn't want to kill Loup but thinks she'll have to, whether she likes it or not. this is completely loving incongruous with her dialogue in yesterday's page.

Mostly unrelated to your post, but one thing I do like from this chapter is that in this page, the knife is giggling. It's a nice little touch, I wonder if it did anything like that previously?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mostly unrelated to your post, but one thing I do like from this chapter is that in this page, the knife is giggling. It's a nice little touch, I wonder if it did anything like that previously?

Yeah! I think it first did it in the chapter where Robot gets severed from the ground.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=963

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

CodfishCartographer posted:

Can confirm it's always giggled!

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Youremother posted:

I caught up with this strip relatively recently and didn't think it was that bad. I left off right around chapter 43 and didn't think a lot of the stuff after that was that bad. I didn't even think The Mind Cage was that bad. I saw the thread was ripping the comic apart and wanted to think it was regular goon cynicism.

This latest stuff with the star ocean, though, jesus this is horrible. What the hell happened

It seems like a lot of us who were holding out through the Mind Cage were broken by the star ocean reveal.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Coyote Tooth sword's design is so loving sick

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Riot Bus posted:

It seems like a lot of us who were holding out through the Mind Cage were broken by the star ocean reveal.

Creators should never listen to fans. I think Tom took a big swing with Tony and balked when people didn't like him, even though that is what made him work. He was an interesting anti-villain and I would have liked to see Annie struggling to deal with their relationship more.

The comment section is just gone, btw. On the entire comic. It was an early web 2.0 artifact anyway, but the timing is a little depressing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s only been present on the latest page for as long as I can remember. that still seems to be the case

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah i'm still seeing it

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
My phone might just be eating it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah! I think it first did it in the chapter where Robot gets severed from the ground.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=963

That's only a few off from the best page!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is this page trying to reinforce that jenny is just another faceless court cop

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Not sure if you're joking, but I think it's just Tom wanting to draw ladies in fancy clothes again, with accessories.

Honestly I'm a bit relieved it's not a Loup/Lana ending page lol.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm completely serious. With Jenny's involvement here and during the cruise, I am at least a little curious if she is intended to play the role of a typical complicit Court student with odd powers who goes along with using them to advance the Omega plan.

I do not think it is easy to just overlook the complete 180 that Jack & Jenny pulled here with "yeah let's summon them here near the Star Ocean!" then immediately attacking Annie with some very aggressive gaslighting.

The author either has memory loss or the point is that Jenny is a cop/bastard.

Edit: maybe there is no point and this hallucinatory character development was just an accident emerging from bad writing

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 20, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jenny just knowingly murdered an orphan.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nah I've got one better for you: Jenny just murdered an orphan for what is essentially oil.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 20, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Jenny dramatically tears off her face, revealing Aata behind it. "It was me all along, Jack! Make of that what you will."

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: maybe there is no point and this hallucinatory character development was just an accident emerging from bad writing

For sure there was no point to it. Other than to make Annie feel bad for being a bystander while Jenny/Jack get Zimmy killed (or maybe captured so that Kat can kill her later, whatever). All of this because Annie wanted to warn her about a danger that Zimmy and everyone else apparently already knew about. Like it's all utterly pointless.

This comic hasn't done anything to earn the benefit of the doubt in a long time so just assume the worst and you won't be as disappointed.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Lt. Lizard posted:

Jenny dramatically tears off her face, revealing Aata behind it. "It was me all along, Jack! Make of that what you will."

You all bought it, hook line and sinker, even my immediate family, my work wife Shell bought it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

In the next chapter, Loup is meeting his girlfriend’s parents and he has to prepare a dinner to impress them. Hijinks when it turns out her father is none other than Robox!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Riot Bus posted:

I actually liked the Mind Cage, I was thinking "yeah, pretty classic case of alexithymia bud, you should get that checked out", but the star ocean poo poo is just nonsense. Totally incoherent and out of nowhere. Loup being the new protagonist of the comic is whatever but Tom has lost the thread of his own storyline

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

bss > gunnerrkrigg court: maybe there is no point

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Holding out hope that everything from this page onwards will turn out to be one giant bad dream Zimmy hallucination. :v:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Holding out hope that everything from this page onwards will turn out to be one giant bad dream Zimmy hallucination. :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

BobTheJanitor posted:

Oh good, that means these guys get to live on and Reynardine will have wacky roommate hijinx at some point.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah, as much as there's been plenty of stuff I really enjoyed that took place after Tony's arrival in the plot, Gunnerkrigg's highest point for me was probably The Shattered Sea. Tony's intro was just unbearable to read through when it was playing out in real time.

As it is, I find myself looking back fondly to the Tony era, because though it was frustrating at least it had some interesting high points and seemed like it could be going somewhere cool.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Riot Bus posted:

As it is, I find myself looking back fondly to the Tony era, because though it was frustrating at least it had some interesting high points and seemed like it could be going somewhere cool.

The Tony stuff had the benefit of a throughline. Of course, that common thread was awful, and where it lead was even worse. Annie's breezy acceptance of her father's abuse remains the nadir of the comic, at least for me. It was just the most miserable conclusion to a character arc imaginable.

It was, however, an arc. I suppose. The comic now is simply a shambles. Nothing is consistent. Personally, I'm enjoying that more because it's lowered the stakes. The worst has already happened. The wheels have come off and the carriage is tumbling down the ravine. All that's left to do is enjoy the show while it careens toward rock bottom.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm not concerned. Kat's new best friend Tony will fix it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kat is now engaged with Loup

And is pregnant

Go full soap opera

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even more baffling why Annie was so concerned about Loup at the end of the last chapter instead of Kat, lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah, as much as there's been plenty of stuff I really enjoyed that took place after Tony's arrival in the plot, Gunnerkrigg's highest point for me was probably The Shattered Sea. Tony's intro was just unbearable to read through when it was playing out in real time.

I thought the pre-merge Tony parts were good. Yeah I hated him as a person but I really enjoyed him as a character and villain, then as a tragic character (whose actions were still reprehensible). At the time the writing read as an excellent if literal-metaphorical portrayal of a breakdown brought on etc etc.

In retrospect it's like... OK, see this page:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1561
Did Tom change his mind about the Tony arc or were we all reading this wrong and human Annie was always supposed to be read as totally right actually?

Because at some point it pivoted hard to "OK but he does have his reasons tho"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 23, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

I thought the pre-merge Tony parts were good. Yeah I hated him as a person but I really enjoyed him as a character and villain, then as a tragic character (whose actions were still reprehensible). At the time the writing read as an excellent if literal-metaphorical portrayal of a breakdown brought on etc etc.

Did Tom change his mind about the Tony arc or were we all reading this wrong and human Annie was always supposed to be read as totally right actually?

Yeah, at the time it read to me as Annie committing emotional self-harm because she kept contorting her mind in knots trying to believe that Tony's cruelty had a point. He had to have a point.

And then it turned out that he did! He had his flaws, and he did love her but couldn't express it appropriately, so Annie packed away all the hurt and abandonment forever and we never saw any of it addressed or healed again. Yay.

edit: sorry I just repeated what you said, I had initially written paragraphs here before editing them away.

I keep reading Annie has having once again repressed her trauma and like it will spill over at some point years in the future until she resolves it for real, but I suspect that's not what we are supposed to think.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 23, 2023

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I predict this chapter is going to start out zany and wacky, but then have a jarring tone shift as it nears the end. Or it will be like the Renard rescue fakeout chapter.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It will be Kat walking through a city then going "oh, I think I should have gone left a few blocks back. I've gone too far!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Splicer posted:

I don't believe we're meant to take human Annie as the correct one in that conversation.