Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
At his press conference just now: Kaine says he nearly decided not to run for re-election, but will run for one more term in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

At his press conference just now: Kaine says he nearly decided not to run for re-election, but will run for one more term in 2024.

That's press conference worthy?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BDawg posted:

That's press conference worthy?

Yeah, I'm not actually sure why he decided to make such a big deal about it.

:shrug:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I nearly decided not to make this post, but upon further reflection and prayers, I have decided to post again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

i guess there is an argument to be made that if some of the Dems in VA were thinking of a Senate run to give them a timetable?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just to remove any speculation would be my guess.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Good. The Dems' Senate map was already bad enough without making VA an open seat.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Kaine's been dealing with Long Covid and has even complained about mild neuropathy issues, so I think he must have been fielding a lot of questions within the party about whether he was going to keep going.

https://time.com/6172625/tim-kaine-long-covid/

quote:

While his wife’s symptoms resolved within a couple weeks, Kaine is still feeling the effects of his infection more than two years later. Kaine says he experiences near-constant nerve tingling, like “every nerve ending has had five cups of coffee,” as well as intermittent hot sensations on his skin. In a more recent development, everything he eats now tastes both a little metallic and a little sweet—the latter, he jokes, is appropriate for an optimist.

The experience has been trying, even with his sunny outlook. Like millions of other people in the U.S., Kaine has Long COVID, the name for coronavirus-related symptoms that last months or even years. More than 200 symptoms have been linked to Long COVID, but some of the most common include fatigue, brain fog, chronic pain, and neurological issues like Kaine’s. He is the first to admit he has a mild case, one that doesn’t interfere with his ability to work, exercise, or live his life. But speaking with long-haulers who have more serious cases—some bedridden by their symptoms—has hardened Kaine’s resolve to fight for support for the complex and little-understood condition in Washington. “Just having this does connect me with more painful and difficult realities that a lot of people are dealing with,” Kaine tells TIME.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

If this Reddit post is accurate, the parallel storefront was on purpose, so Amazon didn't have to pay Google for each person who got there via Google search, or pay anyone who used Amazon referral links.

https://hachyderm.io/@mrzaius/109719017646579986

Ah, it all makes sense now.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/20/george-santos-appears-to-admit-drag-queen-past-in-wiki-post-00078812

It sure looks like Santos/Devolder was lying about being a drag queen was Brazil among all his other lies.

quote:

Embattled Rep. George Santos has claimed that reports and videos documenting him performing in drag are both “outrageous” and “categorically false.”

But nearly a dozen years ago, Santos himself appears to have confirmed that he participated in drag shows while he was a teenager living in Brazil.

A Wikipedia page accessed by POLITICO shows a user named Anthony Devolder — a Santos alias — writing that he “startted [sp] his ‘stage’ life at age 17 as an gay night club [sp] DRAG QUEEN and with that won sevral [sp] GAY ‘BEAUTY PAGENTS [sp].’”

quote:

The Wiki bio for Anthony Devolder, which is full of spelling and grammatical errors, appears to contain fantastical descriptions of his supposed career in show business. It claims that he had a part in Disney’s “Hannah Montana,” among other examples.

It was, it appears, just the first in several attempts by Santos to edit his bio on the internet encyclopedia — steps that further show the degree to which he has gone to curate his life story.

In November, a Wiki user named Devmaster88 edited the Wikipedia page for then congressman-elect George Santos (a page separate from the Wiki bio for Anthony Devolder). The user changed the section about Santos’ personal life and made edits to his middle name. Around that time another account, georgedevolder22, also made edits to Santos’ public Wikipedia page, removing the entire middle name, Anthony Devolder, so that the biography was shortened to George Santos.

The identity of the users is not revealed by Wikipedia. But both accounts have subsequently been blocked from the site. Moderators, as part of the ban, wrote that Devmaster88 was “abusing multiple accounts” and that it was likely an extension of Georgedevolder22.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
what's your something awful handle, george

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS. Not actual Jeffrey, the fake one that tried to close C-SPAM.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Gorgeous George Devolder

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If he wasn't a right-wing Ernst-Rohm-analog shitheel, George of the family Santos would be extremely interesting, but as it is, he's just entertaining.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

george gay. so what

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

According to James Comer, the chair of the House Oversight Committee, they aren't planning to subpoena President Biden over Hunter Biden's actions, it is very complicated and, "the odds of that happening are slim to none."

Also, apparently the more subpoenas you issue, the weaker they all are.

This is from tonight's PBS NewsHour episode.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
What’s all this I’m hearing about horrendous poo poo in Memphis? Obviously involving the police

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Also, not really surprising, but it is now "official" that Biden plans to run for re-election and announce it officially sometime after February 7th.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1616022793656623105
This article is hilariously pro read.

It's not even really about Biden running for re election. It's more about the Whitehouse's response to the classified documents scandal, which then springboards into a meta-commentary on the Whitehouse's frayed relationship with the DC Elite & Pundit class.

The tone is surprisingly bitter.

The media is really not happy that Biden is a boring white guy who has repeatedly refused to help them turn every issue into a blood sacrifice ritual. That moment during the exit from Afghanistan when they were all salivating for more war and carnage really showed their true colors.

quote:

President Joe Biden was planning to launch a campaign sometime in the period after his February 7 State of the Union address before word leaked about the documents found in his home – and that remains the plan, even as White House aides and his personal lawyers answer questions about who knew what when.

The plans haven’t changed, people familiar with the discussions say. The timeframe is the same.

The president and his close-knit inner circle of advisers – largely the same circle that was tight around him as he prepared to launch his 2020 campaign – are on public lockdown as they avoid saying anything to avoid tripping any legal issues. But, they still think that – barring some major and deeply damaging revelation – this will blow over in time.

In interviews with CNN, people around the president talk about the “DC elite” making “DC noise.” They argue that the attention to these documents may prove to be only the latest passing obsession, and that many of the questions they’re facing are from journalists and politicians who aren’t accepting that Biden is “honoring his promise to a T by upholding the rule of law and respecting DOJ’s process,” according to a Biden adviser.

By contrast, the adviser said, “It’s a matter of public record what Americans’ highest priority issues are – from polling, other research, and the most important poll: the midterms: The economy, cutting costs, fighting inflation, creating jobs, standing up for reproductive rights, fighting for gun reform,” adding that with Biden’s work and record, “the American people care a hell of a lot about all of that.”

Those around Biden with actual information aren’t laying their plans out to nervous donors or members of Congress, whom they know will turn around and talk publicly, and barely care about their complaints over being left out. They mock the political forecasters and the talk of “optics.” They keep private score of four years’ worth of critics whom they feel have fallen flat over and over and dismiss the idea that they’ve gotten so convinced by their own survival mythology that they always underplay whatever arises.

“Look back from shortly before the president launched his campaign to now, the accuracy rate of pundits’ negative predictions about him or his strategies is dismal,” said White House spokesman Andrew Bates, stressing that that he and others are taking the investigation seriously, but not the political talk around it. “Our MO, by contrast, has aged well: Tune out the noise, do the work, deliver; and remember that the president knows the American people and they know him.”

Asked how anything related to the documents investigations factors into the 2024 political or timing thinking for the people actually doing the thinking about it, Bates said, “It doesn’t.”

Chip on the shoulder attitude

Aides mix bitter sarcasm and exhausted jadedness as they mock advice that has come at them so many times before.

A White House official cited “a very inexhaustive list of issues that pundits have overstated the political impact of, saying they would either cost us the midterms, doom our agenda, cost us the 2020 election or some combination,” including how Biden couldn’t run a Covid-19-safe 2020 campaign, how he didn’t respond strongly enough to the Supreme Court decision striking down federal abortion rights, and when the midterms were predicted to be a disaster for his party and his agenda.

They send around old articles and clips of prognostications about all the times Biden was going to go down. News articles, full of advice from “allies” who never talk to the president or anyone who does talk to the president, get passed around in internal West Wing emails and text chains.

In part out of deliberate contrast to the daily melodrama that was the Trump White House, but mostly because the small circle of Biden’s closest advisers have all known each other for decades, neither the 2020 campaign nor the first two years of the presidency have had any significant leaks or backstabbing.

They are aware they’ve annoyed younger aides – and even seen some depart – because everyone in the White House knows there is an impenetrable ceiling for anyone outside of the small circle, who will always have the final word with the president. Even the lawyer representing Biden in the documents matter, Bob Bauer, is the same top lawyer from the campaign and the husband of trusted adviser Anita Dunn. Dunn is coordinating the communications strategy within the West Wing and among leaders on Capitol Hill while Bauer’s putting out the legal statements about what’s been discovered.

The people involved often delight in how frustrating their approach is to the contemporary political news cycle in Washington, smiling slyly at complaints and chuckling at people who tell them that they’re boring or complaints about their refusal to engage in questions about the process of how they came to their decisions.

“From the very beginning when he was running, you could see this resolve and calm consistency – even when things looked bad, he continued to press on,” said Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester, the Delaware Democrat who has known Biden for most of her life and supported him from the beginning of his campaign.

Rochester said that the last time she spoke to Biden was when he called to check in at one point during the week-long balloting for House speaker. She didn’t ask him directly if he was running for reelection, but told him, “I’m there if you need me.”

“I hear you, kiddo,” she said Biden told her.

To anyone who thinks his plans might be thrown off, she said, “I would say, ‘You might not know Joe Biden.’”

Deliberate battles with Washington wisdom

No president ever has come in with more years and experience in the nation’s capital, but Biden continues not to do the standard Washington performative apologies in hastily arranged marquee interviews or push aides to take the fall for the sake of feeding a “reset” narrative.

White House aides see Biden’s nadir so far as August 2021, as just about everyone in the military and political establishment hammered him for how he ended the war in Afghanistan and footage of desperate people falling from the wheels of military planes went viral. They also point out that Biden neither backed down nor listened to the many calls for him to at least fire national security adviser Jake Sullivan.

When his legislative agenda fell apart – and then fell apart more in the fall and winter of 2021 – Biden never fully gave up on the bills, and he never dismissed White House chief of staff Ron Klain, even as top supporters in Congress like then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi expressed their misgivings.

Both Sullivan and Klain are still in their jobs more than a year later. So is Steve Ricchetti, the top adviser to the president who was the vice presidential chief of staff at the end of the Obama administration, when any stray documents should have been accounted for. Ricchetti walked with Biden to Marine One at the end of last week to fly back to Delaware with him, where the president spent the weekend at the house where some of the documents were found.

Biden and his aides are treading carefully as the special counsel’s investigation gets started, arguing that – as frustrating as it is to be saddled with an issue in 2023 because of what may have been sloppiness in 2017 – the probe will eventually bear out that all the right steps were taken once they found the documents, including when they didn’t immediately disclose what was initially found. Any consideration of the short-term benefits of speaking up is weighed against the longer-term concern of inadvertently interfering or seeming to influence the legal process.

“I understand that there’s a tension between protecting and safeguarding the integrity of an ongoing investigation with providing information publicly appropriate with that,” was how Ian Sams, a spokesman for the White House counsel’s office, put it on a call with reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

In the meantime, White House senior advisers would rather talk about success in fighting inflation than about the documents. They point to unemployment now at a 50-year low, and the drug price reductions kicking in from the Inflation Reduction Act, a bill which most had given up on until just before it passed last summer.

“President Biden has taken this matter seriously and shown leadership and respect for the law, which is what you want to see from a president,” said North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper. “Ultimately, everyday people are focused on the issues that impact their daily lives – cutting costs, adding jobs, and protecting basic freedoms like women’s health and voting rights – and that’s where the Biden administration has had historic success.”

In that way, Cooper added, he hasn’t been surprised by the last week.

“President Biden has gotten where he is,” Cooper said, “by doing the right thing and keeping his focus on the issues people care about and the solutions that will make a difference.”

A contrast with Trump

Based on what is known so far, the situation Biden faces because of these documents is different in many ways from the White House documents found at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate last year. There is less classified material known to be involved and it was returned voluntarily, rather than withheld in defiance of subpoenas.

A Biden 2020 campaign alum embraced that contrast, while also pointing out that for all the attention to the FBI’s search of Mar-a-Lago, there were no polls showing that to be a major voting issue in the midterms.

“Republicans are effectively defending a guy apprehended in a high-speed chase who then attacked the cops, and they’re going after a guy who self-reported a much less severe situation,” the alum said.

Biden’s team is moving forward confident that the president retains an inherent trust with many Americans who aren’t diehard Republicans, and that the combination of that faith and a deliberate, diligent approach will enable him to survive this situation like he’s survived others.

“Biden responds to these kind of DC pundit crises with an honesty and perspective that’s more in line with the average American,” said Greg Schultz, who was his campaign manager through most of the early primary efforts in the 2020 race but never joined the White House staff. “People like him, they feel that he’s trying to make some things better and they don’t get caught up in the stuff the DC elite do – and neither does Biden.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes if you are a DC reporter it must suck not having nearly as much weird backstabbing scandal poo poo to write about on a weekly basis

They got used to the constant daily scandal of the Trump admin and it's been replaced with boring Biden who they don't really know how to cover. They have been trying to seize on this document 'scandal' which is getting no traction in the public discourse whatsoever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Half of previous iterations of this thread were simply people being told to take a break from the news cycle because it was so overwhelming under Trump. Hell I think I still see more articles about Trump than Biden.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Half of previous iterations of this thread were simply people being told to take a break from the news cycle because it was so overwhelming under Trump. Hell I think I still see more articles about Trump than Biden.
It was incredibly exhausting. I know I had to just stop reading news poo poo sometimes because it was just too depressing.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean... They're not wrong. The Afghanistan situation was horrific and embarrassing, and I still vividly remember the clip of people falling. But I don't think about Afghanistan very much, maybe once a month when some passing news article comes out. It really doesn't seem like it's going to be the defining issue if 2024, and it definitely doesn't seem like the classified docs are going to matter in 6 months.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes if you are a DC reporter it must suck not having nearly as much weird backstabbing scandal poo poo to write about on a weekly basis

They got used to the constant daily scandal of the Trump admin and it's been replaced with boring Biden who they don't really know how to cover. They have been trying to seize on this document 'scandal' which is getting no traction in the public discourse whatsoever.

just go and watch the GOP run house, those fucks will be back stabbing each other back espcially once primary season kicks into high gear.

Tibalt posted:

I mean... They're not wrong. The Afghanistan situation was horrific and embarrassing, and I still vividly remember the clip of people falling. But I don't think about Afghanistan very much, maybe once a month when some passing news article comes out. It really doesn't seem like it's going to be the defining issue if 2024, and it definitely doesn't seem like the classified docs are going to matter in 6 months.

oh sure, i agree. but like afghanistan pull out was gonna be a loving horror show no matter who pulled us out because the taliban was preparing for that day for at least 15 years and the goverment wasnt gonna hold and the pentagon huffed its poo poo for so long that it basicaly believed they wouldnt have another fleeing from saigon moment but worse. i'll give biden that he stuck by his choice and we never went back. i feel like trump would have hosed up worse then biden on that and then panicked and tried to "fix" it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I spend far more time complaining about democrats than republicans these days (a consequence of whom I share my real time with and the time I spend here), but leaving Afghanistan is one of the credits I give biden. It was always going to be bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone knew that the media wasn't going to handle going cold turkey from the Trump admin well at all, but it's really surprising that it's this bad.

That said, doesn't bode great for the return of Trump to the spotlight for the 2024 campaign not being another year-long slavering media circus.

BRJurgis posted:

I spend far more time complaining about democrats than republicans these days (a consequence of whom I share my real time with and the time I spend here), but leaving Afghanistan is one of the credits I give biden. It was always going to be bad.

It probably makes Biden by a few metrics the best President in the lifetime of a lot of Americans. Which is a very, very low bar.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The best president, perhaps, but not our favorite president. :smugdon:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 21, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Hope you guys ready for a cold snap

https://twitter.com/Tori4ThePeople/status/1616385175444721665?t=Ux9vJbt1ftG5EAc2jZz6Ow&s=19

https://twitter.com/Tori4ThePeople/status/1616417909328199680?t=byAgI3uJmSkefYlkSgUeAA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1616602814297542656?t=XbVDWA0QYfxlOn-eBLlzbA&s=19

Word on Twitter is that five cops beat the guy to death during a traffic stop with video. Like the video is worse than Emmett till.

All I can say is if the pigs from loving Memphis dropped them before video came out I don't even want to think about how bad it might be

e:

Aipsh posted:

What’s all this I’m hearing about horrendous poo poo in Memphis? Obviously involving the police

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
wow, it's a real relief to know that the egregious use of force by these five officers in no way reflects on the fine work of the other officers in Memphis police department.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Oh good all five cops are black buckle up for some Discourse (tm)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Things are definitely going to enter the cool zone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I am weary of this performative nonsense and wish that someone would change the channel.

https://twitter.com/ShelbySlawson/status/1616617391210827776?s=20&t=tORKRWpVZRjt-uSoDHsidQ

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Love the guy wearing his standard suit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just tuck a folded up WSJ under your shirt as a trauma plate.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I am weary of this performative nonsense and wish that someone would change the channel.

https://twitter.com/ShelbySlawson/status/1616617391210827776?s=20&t=tORKRWpVZRjt-uSoDHsidQ

Great idea to play out your fascist fantasies post-1/6 in a fort that had a mass shooting a decade prior.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Dick Trauma posted:

The thing that gets me the most about conservatism these days is that it turned into this bloc of people who you pander to by being giant dork rear end losers of the highest degree and it absolutely works

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

How it would actually turn out.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh good all five cops are black buckle up for some Discourse (tm)

But don't let it be a black and a white one

cause they'll slam ya down to the street top, black police showin out for the white cop

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh my god "Gravy Seals" is the best comment on that threa

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/princess_antifa/status/1616786232394264577?s=46&t=1mQTHgEOr_rf9-OHlKsOSA
The brave men and women wearing the blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a.lo posted:

The brave men and women wearing the blue

Is that police wearing a mask?? Shocking and unusual