Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Harrow posted:

The most exciting thing about Chronomancer for me when it came out was that it had a +25% movement speed trait.

Oh poo poo yeah I remember that! That was huge news back in the day.

I also do not miss the days of keeping staff on my ele for the air swiftness skill.

Mounts are so good, it's so weird thinking about how things were before them. I haven't actually done world completion since they were a thing but I did do it once before gliding and once after gliding and I imagine it's a similar seismic shift. We used to have to carefully step down from vistas so we didn't die of fall damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Organza Quiz posted:

We used to have to carefully step down from vistas so we didn't die of fall damage!

And fall damage used to be server side, distance over time, so if you hopped down too fast sometimes you'd get to the bottom and just die.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I remember doing world completion back when it also required all the WvW maps :shepicide:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GW2 mounts really are a hell of a design achievement. Each one feels unique and is a joy to use, and they really do seem to have a lot of personality to them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

I remember doing world completion back when it also required all the WvW maps :shepicide:

i got wvw map completion before queensdale lmao

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah I did World Completion back really close to release on my Asura necromancer. Luckily Signet of Locust existed, because I don't remember my necromancer having any easy access to Swiftness.

My boyfriend recently did world completion on his Mesmer, without mounts or gliding, and god I do not wish that on anyone.

Daggar had a trait that added 25% speed.

i wish it was per daggar, and it stacked with locust.... lol

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I think about all the people who've done world completion before owning a skyscale and my bones start to hurt

I still don't. I have a Griffon instead :smug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I still don't. I have a Griffon instead :smug:
During early macaroni virus while I was watching university lectures on Zoom I did core world completion on (eventually) three different characters. I didn't have a skyscale then, just the PoF core mounts and my jetbird. Griffon is great.
:colbert:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah core Tyria is probably the least useful place for Skyscale. The maps are flatter and more open than almost any of the expansion zones.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Core Tyria is so flat and the hills that do exist are so gradual that I always use Roller Beetle, even after getting my dragon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Springer to the highest nearby hill, gryphon zoom

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Skyscale to max height from ground level, refill stamina for 4 total dashes upward, Aurene wings off, jade bot glide boost 3, Griffon zoom.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Skyscale and 'R'

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Waypoint

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, if I'm honest it's that I sunk a hell of a lot of time and effort into buying my griffon, so the sunk cost fallacy demands that I stick with it.

But I'm not honest, so: griffons rule, skyscales drool!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Where's my updated roadmap Anet?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

... but it likely did require them to gain years of experience first to design them so well in terms of how they move and just getting the game out the door was a massive undertaking with how much they cramped into every area and fix tech-debt as they went like everything being invisible besides a nametag in a crowd larger then 10 people.

At launch I bounced off wvw hard because the mode was hosed up. Group fights were absolutely bullshit because the game wouldn't render all the players without crashing. The first fix was to only draw X amount of players nearby, I think it was like 40. Early zergs meant that you could encounter what you thought was 5 players, but in reality it was 50. You literally would not know until they streamed over your corpse. Then they attempted to fix it by creating the generic armor look. That boosted the number somewhat, but it still felt kind of terrible to not even know how many people you were actually fighting against. The GW2 team has definitely put in the work to fix the technical debt in this game and it works so well for it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I remember WvW back in those days, you could only tell how many people were approaching judging by if there was a noticeable fps drop or lag when the spell effects were starting to pop off and if you threw some mesmers in the mix with mass invisibility then who the gently caress even knows anymore, I remember it got even worse shortly after launch because they preferred invisible players to crashing players.

Then came the Karka queen event.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
^ These tiktok challenges are just getting weirder.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I believe you mean BawkBawk challenges

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
"Friday January 27, we'll share an outline of QoL changes coming to WvW on January 31. On February 3 we will have a preview of the next GW2 balance update. Keep an eye on this channel and guildwars2.com for all the updates! For now, here's a little peek at the studio update we're working on..."

...We're going to somehow get yet another year of Scarlet-related content, aren't we? God it's been 11 months please just give me something new.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Lonk posted:

"Friday January 27, we'll share an outline of QoL changes coming to WvW on January 31. On February 3 we will have a preview of the next GW2 balance update. Keep an eye on this channel and guildwars2.com for all the updates! For now, here's a little peek at the studio update we're working on..."

...We're going to somehow get yet another year of Scarlet-related content, aren't we? God it's been 11 months please just give me something new.

Scarlet's twin sister, Crimson!

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Please no I can't take anymore.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Similar to Illidan Stormrage in WoW Legion, it will be revealed that all of Scarlet's actions were for the greater good and that she did nothing wrong. Season 6 ends with her fully revived somehow and palling around with Dragon's Watch.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Lonk posted:

Yeah, I love the game still but c'mon, we need...something new :(

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I was taking a look at some of the legendary collections to see if I could do some for fun, and did not realize that crafting the necessary items to eventually craft the precursor ends up costing not just more than buying the actual finished precursor off the TP, but often costs WAY more and has been like that for years. :rolleyes:

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

I was taking a look at some of the legendary collections to see if I could do some for fun, and did not realize that crafting the necessary items to eventually craft the precursor ends up costing not just more than buying the actual finished precursor off the TP, but often costs WAY more and has been like that for years. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Gen1 precursor achievements are basically very expensive AP for the north of 30k AP crowd. A few offer side benefits that eventually pay off, like Kudzu. But other than that, it's "content" for the truly wealthy and bored.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

There, fixed Scarlet for her 2023 redemption

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's true for the majority of them yeah. But at least Incinerator is like 50g cheaper to craft the precursor than to TP it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

Apparently they used to be much cheaper to do the achievements but the economy

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is it ever explained at any point in the story how Scarlet has access infinite resources and can just pop in a city sized drill or puppet out of nowhere?

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it ever explained at any point in the story how Scarlet has access infinite resources and can just pop in a city sized drill or puppet out of nowhere?
Other than her being an antagonistic Mary-Sue?

Yeah I know I am not using that trope correctly. But as someone who has yet to play LWS1 the bits Ela Makkay told my character and what I read on the Wiki sound pretty contrived.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 26, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

iirc she bootstrapped her resources through using what she got from the molten alliance to steal poo poo

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well the explanation is that she had access to the collective resources of the dredge, the flame legion, the krait, the nightmare court, the aetherblades, etc.

Why any of them handed all their stuff over to her was never explained beyond "so season 1 can happen."

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's like massive cycles of events in core maps that are "drat! these guys who turned out to be brought together by Scarlet sure are wreaking havoc and stealing poo poo!"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
smartest plant zombie (this one is not hard)
smartest (honorary) asura who ever lived
master of 5d chess, best at everything and 10 steps ahead of everyone at all times
also infinitely charismatic so she could convince every slightly evil faction in the game to help her

please don't bring her back

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

orcane posted:

smartest plant zombie (this one is not hard)
smartest (honorary) asura who ever lived
master of 5d chess, best at everything and 10 steps ahead of everyone at all times
also infinitely charismatic so she could convince every slightly evil faction in the game to help her

please don't bring her back

I sincerely doubt they will. She gets a nod through the Mai Trin stuff and I think that’s it.

My pet theory is they’re going to see the popularity of Gorrick, Blish, and Rama and introduce some new characters that are probably adjacent to our current best friends squad.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

gorrick gonna stuff his brain into a golem and wear a huge-brimmed hat

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Koss can come too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What's she going to do though? The whole point was that she was waking Mordremoth, and he's dead as a doornail now.