Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

power slap is dumber than you think. they decide who gets to go first via coin toss. so obviously the winner of the coin toss has a huge advantage and the second guy often never even gets a chance to retaliate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the only upside is that we know that nobody who agreed to do it could have been that smart in the first place.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I still think chessboxing is the real future of weird combat sports

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dana White and Co have gone all in on a getting a, and I use the term loosely, combat sport sanctioned by the athletic commission thats a couple of rungs lower than Bare Knuckle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Trillhouse posted:

power slap is dumber than you think. they decide who gets to go first via coin toss. so obviously the winner of the coin toss has a huge advantage and the second guy often never even gets a chance to retaliate.

But is Fightmetric tracking everything?

They should allow simultaneous opening slap. But then maybe let them duck? And hmm, maybe just let them move around on their feet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's so stupid they might as well just do groin kicks and name it "Dana White's 'Ow my Balls' League"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

It's so stupid they might as well just do groin kicks and name it "Dana White's 'Ow my Balls' League"
The Professional Roshambo League will set ratings records in its first week that, unlike the contenders, will never be broken.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Angry_Ed posted:

I'd watch that at least once

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If we're going to concuss idiots in our Robocop tier television shows, please make an American Gladiator style combat sports show where I can see Mike Tyson ruin the lives of untrained dads who deserve to have ring introductions say they're hailing from Dunning-Kruger Valley.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
they can only do a ball kick league if they show what the dudes' hosed up balls look like after each battle

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

why would you listen to an interview with strickland

on the other hand, francis is just the nicest of dudes but he really needs a manager

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kri kri posted:

on the other hand, francis is just the nicest of dudes but he really needs a manager

Marquel Martin is his manager.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dana needs to look back to golden age Nickelodeon or You Can't Do that on Television and get the UFC fighters we hate involved

Welcome back to Dana White's Ow My Balls Ultimate Kids Challenge! I'm your host Kyle from the Nelk Boys and our next contestant today is Jayden! Tell me about yourself Jayden!

-My name is Jayden and I'm ten years old and I like minecraft!

-How about that folks! Who doesn't like minecraft! Anyway, Uncle Dana got your letter Jayden about your favourite UFC fighter and...

-Max is here? Oh my god oh my god!

-Not so fast! We have someone else who we need you to meet first. Now you know how this works! If you win the challenge you'll get your grand prize of getting to play Minecraft with Max Holloway and little Max. So lets meet your challenge!

Sean Strickland emerges from behind the curtain, smiling uncannily

-Ok Jayden remember the rules you g...[/i]

While Strickland is still trying to get his bearings on the stage Jayden rushes over and hoofs Sean Strickland in the balls and he doubles over

Strickland: augh my balls!

Kyle: Wow Jayden! You're an eager one there! But yes, you made Strickland say the magic words so you're a winner! You're going to go play Minecraft with Max Holloway and Little Max!

lights flash and sirens wail as Max Holloway and Little Max emerge from the back to celebrate with Jayden; green slime pours down onto a retching and coughing Sean Strickland

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Boco_T posted:

they can only do a ball kick league if they show what the dudes' hosed up balls look like after each battle
X-Ray Machines with slow-mo cameras pointed at the monitors parked next to every contestant.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't understand who power slapping is for.

It's literally just him. Think about it this way: Dana White's favorite things are human suffering, controlling people, conspicuous consumption and telling critics they're wrong and stupid. Slap fighting gives him maximum human suffering with none of the time-consuming chaff of legitimacy or martial arts, slap fighters have even less opportunities than mixed martial artists and thus won't put up even the small token resistance UFC fighters do, the entire thing lets him blow millions of dollars of WME-derived money on dumb bullshit with his name all over it instead of the UFC's, and literally no one else likes slap fighting so he has an endless font of people to tell that they're wrong and he's right.

Vince McMahon blew millions of dollars trying to launch the World Bodybuilding Federation because his personal fetish for his own brilliance and muscle striations was so great they convinced him the world just didn't realize how great it was. This is Dana's WBF. It's a product designed for one man.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
This all barely qualifies as a joke. Ball kicking league would be safer and more ethical than power slap by a wide margin.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Marquel Martin is his manager.

He said he was handling all his current negotiating

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

Lineal champions Keith Hackney and Mr. T

e: and Andrew Golota

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 20, 2023

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Friday Fights 1 - 2022-01-20
Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand

ONE promotes their first of what allegedly will be a weekly Friday night series in the world-famous Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in Bangkok. I can’t promise that I’ll be able to keep up with this every week, but I shall try.

This week’s show has 10 Muay Thai fights and 2 MMA fights. The co-main aired after the main event, I believe for “Thai TV timing” reasons.

ONE Muay Thai: Regular fights 3 rounds of 3 minutes, title fights 5 rounds of 3 minutes. Scored on the 10-Point Must System. 3 knockdowns in a round is a TKO. No throws, no grappling. Fighters fight in the 4 oz. MMA gloves instead of boxing gloves. ONE referees tend to break up the clinch almost immediately instead of letting the fighters work out of it.

ONE MMA: Regular fights 3 rounds of 5 minutes, title fights 5 rounds of 5 minutes. Bout scored in its entirety, not round-by-round. Knees to the head of a grounded opponent are legal, soccer kicks are not.

Fights highlighted in bold were ones that I found particularly entertaining.

The show is located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDrwYAUOlg
Timestamps for the fights are included below.

Part 1
Angelos Giakoumis (24-4) vs. Mohammed Sadeghi (10-1) (MT 135) 8:19
Akihiro Fujisawa (6-3) vs. Colton Kielbasa (4-1) (MMA 135) 29:37
Josh Hill (32-11) vs. Keivan Soleimani (60-23) (MT 177) 40:02
Muangthai PK.Saenchai (201-43) vs. Mavlud Tupiev (41-6) (MT 147) 1:01:04
Richard Godoy (14-4) vs. Alexy Lyapunov (10-3) (MMA 170) 1:28:12
Seksan Or.Kwanmuang (193-74) vs. Tyson Harrison (22-8) (MT 140) 2:00:31

Part 2
Sagaengarm Jitmuangnon (100-30) vs. Suayai Chor.Haapayak (96-20) (MT 112) 2:28:08
Tai Sor.Jor.Piekuthai (50-8) vs. Sonrak Fairtex (60-17) (MT 135) 2:43:17
Sansiri Pet Por.Tor.Or (65-10) vs. Komawut FA.Group (45-12) (MT 151) 3:04:17
Petbanrai Singha Mawynn (59-18) vs. Khunsueklek Ufaboomdeksean (70-20) (MT 125) 3:25:50
Main Event: (C) Nong-O Gaiyanghadao (264-54) vs. #2 Alaverdi Ramazanov (63-8) (MT 145 Bantam Title) 3:48:23
Co-Main: #1 Prajanchai PK.Saenchai (338-52) vs. Kompetch Sitsaawatsuer (83-17) (MT 125) 4:13:31

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 20, 2023

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
gently caress Dana White and the Slap.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Spaced God posted:

I still think chessboxing is the real future of weird combat sports

The sport could actually grow now that chess.com has broadcasting rights.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Must-see promo for Sunday's 50kg difference fight in Bigbang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWBwRXdEZc

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CommonShore posted:

Dana needs to look back to golden age Nickelodeon or You Can't Do that on Television and get the UFC fighters we hate involved

Welcome back to Dana White's Ow My Balls Ultimate Kids Challenge! I'm your host Kyle from the Nelk Boys and our next contestant today is Jayden! Tell me about yourself Jayden!

-My name is Jayden and I'm ten years old and I like minecraft!

-How about that folks! Who doesn't like minecraft! Anyway, Uncle Dana got your letter Jayden about your favourite UFC fighter and...

-Max is here? Oh my god oh my god!

-Not so fast! We have someone else who we need you to meet first. Now you know how this works! If you win the challenge you'll get your grand prize of getting to play Minecraft with Max Holloway and little Max. So lets meet your challenge!

Sean Strickland emerges from behind the curtain, smiling uncannily

-Ok Jayden remember the rules you g...[/i]

While Strickland is still trying to get his bearings on the stage Jayden rushes over and hoofs Sean Strickland in the balls and he doubles over

Strickland: augh my balls!

Kyle: Wow Jayden! You're an eager one there! But yes, you made Strickland say the magic words so you're a winner! You're going to go play Minecraft with Max Holloway and Little Max!

lights flash and sirens wail as Max Holloway and Little Max emerge from the back to celebrate with Jayden; green slime pours down onto a retching and coughing Sean Strickland

I laughed pretty hard at this, thank you

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't understand who power slapping is for.

I have no interest in the Dana White version of it, but the original Eastern European version (which included women and a league for little people) was at least interesting in a "am I going to jail for watching this?" kind of way, once. Same thing for some event I found on Twitch once where about a dozen guys were all grappling at the same time in what looked like a basement owned by a Croatian crimelord. Being a fan of punch sports can lead to weird rabbit holes.

gently caress Dana's manufactured rabbit holes though.

Actually no sorry, Dana should have a show where Francis gets to punch him in the ding-ding like he did to the guy in Jackass only Dana doesn't get to wear a cup and the arbiter of when and how many times it happens in a row would be Dana's wife, who would look down from the balcony she was on at NYE when he slapped her. She could just do a thumbs up or thumbs down whenever Francis beckoned. This would both be satisfying as reconciliation from Dana for what he did and would also fulfill his prophecy of Francis fighting lesser opponents. Also it would be the only event presented by the UFC that would be worth the new $80 PPV cost.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 20, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what are the actual rules for dana white power slapping

can you just palm strike someone in the temple? does it have to hit the cheek? are there rules on not hitting someone with the heel of your palm? undefended strikes to the head are crazy poo poo. streetbeefs was more respectable than this, at least they pretended to care about safety

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ilmucche posted:

can you just palm strike someone in the temple? does it have to hit the cheek? are there rules on not hitting someone with the heel of your palm? undefended strikes to the head are crazy poo poo. streetbeefs was more respectable than this, at least they pretended to care about safety

Hey now, they care about safety, Forrest Griffin is there to catch them when their brain switches off.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

ilmucche posted:

There are referees to enforce only the most proper of slaps, or else you lose your next slap as a penalty

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

ilmucche posted:

you have 30 seconds to slap. you tell the ref how many "touches" and what side you're going to hit them on then slap them when you get to your number. like you'll say "on three", then measure distance twice, then slap, i guess to give the other guy a chance to brace for impact. i don't think you can use the heel of your palm.

you do this for three rounds and there's judges if it goes the distance. they do the 10 point must scoring system based on...who loving cares honestly?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kensei posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this, thank you

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

He seems to be trying to follow the Colby playbook of playing up the rear end in a top hat character but he can't actually pull it off and he just comes across as a dumb rear end in a top hat.

That seems like a really accurate imitation of the colby playbook. Let's not pretend colby was some high bar of trash talk. He was lovely knockoff of Chael, Strickland is a lovely knockoff of Sean O'Malley or some poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ilmucche posted:

can you just palm strike someone in the temple? does it have to hit the cheek?

If anything, tagging the chin will rotate the top of the head more and cause the brain to get that rational acceleration that helps along concussions.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Seems like palm(heel) striking them in the side of the jaw is exactly what they're doing. It's only a "slap" in that it's open handed as far as I can see.

Also lolling that the only mentions I've seen of it online are various ufc fighters talking about how loving stupid it is.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Also lolling that the only mentions I've seen of it online are various ufc fighters talking about how loving stupid it is.
Finally some fighter tweets worth posting...?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Shumagorath posted:

Finally some fighter tweets worth posting...?

https://twitter.com/KelvinGastelum/status/1616181576722944001

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

remember back when dana white said that ufc would never have a women's division because they aren't real fights

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

remember back when dana white said that ufc would never have a women's division because they aren't real fights

Good point. The powder slap league can't be far behind.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Seems like palm(heel) striking them in the side of the jaw is exactly what they're doing. It's only a "slap" in that it's open handed as far as I can see.

I haven’t actually watched Dana’s CTE League, but that is generally what these slap leagues are. It’s basically just seeing how hard two people can hit eachother without closing their fist or bending their elbow. The answer is “very.”

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kelvin will always be a special fighter in my heart. Love that dumb chubby man.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

power slap is too hosed up even for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mekchu posted:

No one should want that shitstain of a human.

What’d he do?

I was hoping to post links to https://www.danawhitepowerslap.com wherever people talked about it, but no one is talking about it