Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New short Friday along with a Jonah crew riffalong of Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the rights holders who was a constant hold out, Wade Williams, has passed away so we might be able to get 201-Rocketship XM back. He apparently didn't have the best reputation in film preservation circles as he would horde prints and make dodgy copyright claims.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Hazo posted:

We loved it. It's not in the official MST3k library which sucks, so the captions in the youtube version cut out toward the end but I could piece it together and my wife laughed. Thanks goons.

[muffled head sounds] "Put me into her cleavage, then get lost."

dirge-like rendition of the Lucky Charms jingle

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

One of the rights holders who was a constant hold out, Wade Williams, has passed away so we might be able to get 201-Rocketship XM back. He apparently didn't have the best reputation in film preservation circles as he would horde prints and make dodgy copyright claims.

Interesting. Apparently he also had rights to Robot Monster and Cat-Women Of The Moon. RiffTrax was able to do those. Maybe he was one of those people who thought MST was a bigger deal than it was so he should get more money.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

He licensed out other titles for MST3K releases. It was just Rocketship X-M specifically where he wouldn’t, because he supposedly just had a very deep personal love for that particular movie, and didn’t want to see it mocked. I can kind of respect that position, even if I think it’s a little misguided.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Diabolik900 posted:

He licensed out other titles for MST3K releases. It was just Rocketship X-M specifically where he wouldn’t, because he supposedly just had a very deep personal love for that particular movie, and didn’t want to see it mocked. I can kind of respect that position, even if I think it’s a little misguided.

The ACEG entry for that one is so funny. Frank couldn't believe how bad it was, and now he looks back on it fondly, because it has a plot, a begging, a middle, and an ending.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's historically important, at least. It's the first science fiction film to use a theremin in its score!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also it beat Destination Moon to theaters, both films kicking off the 50s sci fi wave.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
PUSH BUTTON PHONING!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching the new riff of Mr. B Natural, and that must have been a hard one to write. It’s definitely weaker than the original, but even though it’s been probably 20 years since I’ve seen it, I found myself remembering a lot of the original gags. It must have been impossible to come up with new riffs that don’t just repeat the original gags, especially since there’s no getting away from horror at Mr. B as the central conceit of any attempt to riff it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m watching the new riff of Mr. B Natural, and that must have been a hard one to write. It’s definitely weaker than the original, but even though it’s been probably 20 years since I’ve seen it, I found myself remembering a lot of the original gags. It must have been impossible to come up with new riffs that don’t just repeat the original gags, especially since there’s no getting away from horror at Mr. B as the central conceit of any attempt to riff it.

I guess I didn't find Mr. B to be all that horrible or frightening because I grew up with the Mary Martin Peter Pan.

RiffTrax also did Mr. B. I haven't seen the reboot's take on it because I'm honestly not sure if there are any good jokes left to be made about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I brought my Drake posted:

I guess I didn't find Mr. B to be all that horrible or frightening because I grew up with the Mary Martin Peter Pan.

RiffTrax also did Mr. B. I haven't seen the reboot's take on it because I'm honestly not sure if there are any good jokes left to be made about it.

Just watch Whizzo's Christmas Special instead. It's a rich fresh vein of :stonk: to experience.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I finally understood why people grew up afraid of clowns after watching Whizzo. Yikes.

I play trombone and have a Conn horn so it was kind of cool to see an old "we're not marketing" film. Mr. B needs to learn about dynamics, though, because that voice starts at forte and never goes quieter.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just watch Whizzo's Christmas Special instead. It's a rich fresh vein of :stonk: to experience.

I saw it on the RiffTrax Twitch and it's more sad than stonk. Also, I feel really bad for the little girl with the tubercular cough.

Fun in Balloonland though. That is pure :stonk:

Speaking of the revival shorts, are any of them real bangers? I just realized that I can access all of them in the app and I haven't seen them all yet. I'm going to watch them all, I'm just not sure which one to watch first.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well now they’ll have THAT to worry about…

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

I brought my Drake posted:

Speaking of the revival shorts, are any of them real bangers? I just realized that I can access all of them in the app and I haven't seen them all yet. I'm going to watch them all, I'm just not sure which one to watch first.

Cavalcade and Court Case are my favorites of the new season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Young Man's Fancy Crinkle Cut Potatoes is and always will be my favorite short. What the hell is it even about?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sash! posted:

Young Man's Fancy Crinkle Cut Potatoes is and always will be my favorite short. What the hell is it even about?

Overcoming squishiness.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I like Pipeline to the Clouds. The one about hygiene is also hysterical depending on how squeamish you are.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Yeah, if you're named "Alexander Phipps", it's just over for you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife and I have been addicted to the 24-hour MST3K twitch stream. So many memories from the S4-S9 days when we first got into the show. Mitchell, Time Chasers, Space Mutiny and of course Manos are some of our personal favorites. She's never seen Final Justice and that's supposed to air next this Saturday at 5:30PM eastern, so we'll certainly be enjoying ourselves this weekend. :)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Wanna go to a lecture about mushrooms?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"And the name is Alex."

--- ander Phipps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sash! posted:

How to sell electric appliances, I think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah but your upper lip? Where is it?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wanna go to a lecture about mushrooms?

"It's about growing mushrooms indoors, under artificial conditions --"

"--and avoiding the narcs! :v:"

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

“Double-bag it, son!”

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As best I can tell, a girl's brother brings his friend home for a shower before he goes to meet a hydraulic engineer. Her mother, who is in the Guardian Angels, contrived to pair her with the lip less friend
Despite his meeting with a hydraulic engineer, he is more interested in describing kitchen layouts and troubleshooting appliances. A slice of pie so endears him to her that he forgoes a thrilling mushroom lecture to go dancing. The brother, apparently, never intended to spend any time with his friend, having planned to just watch TV? Father just goes with the flow.

We never learn what the young man's fancy actually is. Going to the machine works? Electric razors? TIME STUDY? Cherry pie?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I didn't know she could...biscuit!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
This is like Three Days of the Condor, I trust no-one in this short! :tinfoil:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

effika posted:

I finally understood why people grew up afraid of clowns after watching Whizzo. Yikes.

I play trombone and have a Conn horn so it was kind of cool to see an old "we're not marketing" film. Mr. B needs to learn about dynamics, though, because that voice starts at forte and never goes quieter.

now here's a dude who knows the mood of a happy king

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

As best I can tell, a girl's brother brings his friend home for a shower before he goes to meet a hydraulic engineer. Her mother, who is in the Guardian Angels, contrived to pair her with the lip less friend
Despite his meeting with a hydraulic engineer, he is more interested in describing kitchen layouts and troubleshooting appliances. A slice of pie so endears him to her that he forgoes a thrilling mushroom lecture to go dancing. The brother, apparently, never intended to spend any time with his friend, having planned to just watch TV? Father just goes with the flow.

We never learn what the young man's fancy actually is. Going to the machine works? Electric razors? TIME STUDY? Cherry pie?

Very accurate description.

The brother, waaaay to eagerly wanting to stay home:

"No thanks!"
"I'm weird!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hazo posted:

I like Pipeline to the Clouds. The one about hygiene is also hysterical depending on how squeamish you are.

I'm rather fond of Pipeline to the Clouds for esoteric reasons. Do you know the cartoon, 2 Stupid Dogs, that aired on Cartoon Network in the early 90s? There's an episode that sticks with me, that I was immediately reminded of while watching this short, where the dogs go to a farm and talks a ton about water and...it's more or less the contents of this educational short, to the degree that I think the writers saw it way back when and were referencing it.

Etoniichuan
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How to sell electric appliances, I think.

Thank heavens for my electric dress!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AND IT'S QUIET TOO

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm rather fond of Pipeline to the Clouds for esoteric reasons. Do you know the cartoon, 2 Stupid Dogs, that aired on Cartoon Network in the early 90s? There's an episode that sticks with me, that I was immediately reminded of while watching this short, where the dogs go to a farm and talks a ton about water and...it's more or less the contents of this educational short, to the degree that I think the writers saw it way back when and were referencing it.

FOOLISH CANINE! I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Servo getting riffback when he went "Oh dear!" only for Judy to do the same thing seconds later was pretty great.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Tribute to Overdrawn at the Memory Bank with live commentary and a new short about breakfast starting in 8 minutes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"You can't sit with us, Kansas!" :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I got so happy when my state came up. WHEAT BELT REPRESENT

Good short, that Better Breakfasts