Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Huh. "A couple-three" is in my idiolect; it means "a few". Any of the rest of you familiar with the phrase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Oh poo poo, you’re right! I’m old and read two books about special pigs in the 80s. My apols

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Motronic posted:

AITA for making my children marry each other ?

What are you doing stepfather?! :gonk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. "A couple-three" is in my idiolect; it means "a few". Any of the rest of you familiar with the phrase?

Folks on my dad's side of the family used that occasionally, but he didn't bring it with him so I know it but don't use it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Let me tell you a couple or three things

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 20, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tangentially to the current discussion I will always find it hilarious that directly after finishing Babe 2: Pig in the City and the two Happy Feet movies, George Miller looked at the crown of Best Action Movie of All Time that Die Hard had been wearing for almost 30 years and thought "I should do something about that "

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Let me tell you a couple or three things

Brace yourself first

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
In defense of the underwear person, having your dad loafing around in tighty-whiteys all the time would be a pretty difficult association to shake and would be a pretty easy thing for the partner to change. On the other hand, they might consider tapping that discomfort and turning it into a fetish! Always be on the lookout for opportunities.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Couple is obviously two, it's in the name.

Throuple is for threes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Breetai posted:

Tangentially to the current discussion I will always find it hilarious that directly after finishing Babe 2: Pig in the City and the two Happy Feet movies, George Miller looked at the crown of Best Action Movie of All Time that Die Hard had been wearing for almost 30 years and thought "I should do something about that "

"So first the terror attacks and war caused filming issues so I made one movie, then my star went full racist so I made another, finally I got a chance to film a 2-hour car chase without being interrupted."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nancy posted:

Couple is obviously two, it's in the name.

Throuple is for threes

Anything more and it's a polycule

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

AITA For Not Wanting To Help Pay For My Friend's Wedding?

quote:

I have a close friend from college who's getting married next year, and she's been asking for my help to contribute to her wedding. I think it's sweet that she's thinking of me, but I don't think it's a good idea for me to help out financially.

My friend and I have been close for a few years now, and I'm happy for her. She is struggling financially, and they have asked that instead of wedding gifts, people can donate to parts of their wedding ceremony (theres a registry and everything, like “table flowers” and stuff). I'm know she's trying to save as much money as possible for certain reasons unrelated to the wedding. But I just don't think it's right for me to be helping her out with the costs at this time. I'm a recent doctorate candidate (soon), am currently writing a memoir, and I dont know when I will have time to get a job - anything I give is just that much less time I can live on my own. Even if I could afford it, I don't think it's fair that I should have to help out when I know her fiance already has a job and could definitely get another, and some of his friends seem well off.

I tried to explain my financial situation to my friend, but she's still asking for help, even a little. She suggested that I could contribute a much smaller amount than others, but I still don't think it's a good idea. I told her that if I was in a better financial situation I would be more than happy to help out, but right now it just isn't possible.

My friend got really mad at me and said that I was selfish, and that she expected more from me. Our group of friends all pledged to help pay for each others weddings back in college, and she says that since she helped pay for my wedding ($550), that I should help her out, even if it's just $20. She is also threatening to tell our group of friends, just because all of them contributed to my wedding - but she completely ignores the fact that my marriage didn’t last even one year.

I don't want to lose her friendship, and I really don’t want her to tell our friends - my financial situation is private. More importantly, I also don't want to be taken advantage of. AITA for not wanting to help pay for her wedding?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nashona posted:

.....I'm a recent doctorate candidate (soon), am currently writing a memoir....

So much life experience. I'm sure this will be gripping.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

nashona posted:

I know it's not really the point of the post, but what the gently caress does a broke college graduate have to write in a memoir that's worth reading?

EDIT: Beaten. As a penance, I went to Reddit and found that a bunch of other people asked the same question. Let's see what OP says.

quote:

OP… you keep talking about your memoir. If I may ask (and I hope this isn’t too personal), what exactly is your memoir about? I usually think of memoirs being written by celebrities, or someone who has gone through some bizarre, interesting, or unique experience. What is yours about?

quote:

It is about my life experiences and what knowledge I have gained about the human condition. It is my way of giving back to the world everything the world has given to me.

quote:

Please tell us what makes your memoir a full time job at 25 and what's worth writing about?

quote:

I’m not 25 yet so I don’t really know how to answer this.

quote:

Ok. Please tell us what makes your memoir a full time job before you’re 25 and what’s worth writing about?

quote:

My experiences and knowledge of life

Don't worry though, OP has a brilliant suggestion to square things without "finding a job to get some money" or "just pay her back" or other such wildly impossible ideas:

quote:

I have offered to put her in my memoir. I know it’s not financial but it’s definitely worth a LOT more than $550, but she rejected that offer. I’m not sure what else to do

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 21, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
HAHAHAHA! the cat went to stores!! cats don't buy stuff in stores!!! hahaha!!!
in a related note: what to do about my brain damage?
Hahahaha! cat bought clothes! cats don't wear clothes!!!

nashona
May 8, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

I know it's not really the point of the post, but what the gently caress does a broke college graduate have to write in a memoir that's worth reading?

how not to win friends and influence people

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

nashona posted:

Imagine having a "close friend" and refusing to give her :20bux: for her wedding, when she gave you $550 before. :psyduck:

But what does this mean: "just because all of them contributed to my wedding - but she completely ignores the fact that my marriage didn’t last even one year"? Is donation towards 1year marriage somehow better or what? Maybe my english just isn't good enough to understand this argument (it looks worse?)

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

nashona posted:

how not to win friends and influence people

Ah yes, Main Character Syndrome and whatnot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's a stupid argument because she's a selfish idiot. "Well the $550 you contributed to my wedding didn't count because my wedding didn't last, no I will not be contributing to yours, my finances are private."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's a stupid argument because she's a selfish idiot. "Well the $550 you contributed to my wedding didn't count because my wedding didn't last, no I will not be contributing to yours, my finances are private."

Her memoir is gonna be five pages long.

quote:

Chapter 1: My Early Life
This is private and I don't feel comfortable sharing it.

Chapter 2: See Chapter 1

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I was a dumb piece of poo poo at 24 but wow I wasn't "writing my memoirs to give back to humanity" stupid, geez

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have offered to put her in my memoir. I’m not sure what else to do

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

value-brand cereal posted:

We sure the 3 yos aren't running the school here? Who the hell comments on someone's undergarments like that? Yes he's unprofessional but so is the assistant(s) and boss's response to this.

someone who spends all day around 3 year olds

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would never use "a couple" to mean anything other than two of something, three always starts the "few" territory. I don't want to start a big language derail, so please just accept that I'm right and move on.

if “couple” can mean 3 then why does the word “thruple” exist smart guy

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
AITA for abruptly quitting my volunteer work with pelicans?

quote:

I study zoology in University, and as part of our degree we're supposed to get a certain amount of field experience (also most good zoos / animal internships demand it).
So when our ornithology professor mentioned a volunteer opportunity with pelicans through some local group, I thought that sounded cool and I signed up, and was one of two students chosen.
It was supposed to be us 2 and a professional helping to "band" young pelicans for research, where you slip a little band around their ankle that's unobtrusive to the birds but useful for tracking purposes.
So the three of us got out to the island, for a long day of pelican-banding. The professional showed us how to do it and how to deal with an uncooperative pelican, and then I gave it a try on one and did it right...but then the third pelican I tried it on vomited all over me as I was doing it.
I let it go and started gagging, and felt really nauseated. My whole lap and shirt were covered in it and the smell was horrendous. I just sat there retching and trying to wipe it off but to not much avail.
After a few minutes the professional said "Hey, come on, we've got a lot more to do...I've been puked on too already, nothing to worry about." But I said no, I'm not going to go get puked on 10 more times today while doing this, I can't handle that. He got annoyed and said "really, you're going to leave 3 people's work with just 2 people for the day? We said it would be messy work," I thought well, not this messy...
So I just sort of sat there for a few hours while they worked and tried to distract myself from my vomit-stained shirt with my phone until it was time to leave...the trip back was hell too, they both stunk so bad I couldn't take it.
Needless to say my professor is mad at me but I'm not sure what I was supposed to do, I would have gotten sick myself if I kept at it...so I feel like I did the best I can..
AITA?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why are you studying zoology if you’re not willing to get up close and personal with wild animals

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah that's gross but zoo work is clearly not for you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hahahahahaha I was on an archeology field trip to a buffalo jump during winter, the slope was snowy and icy and we'd been informed to "dress for hiking". This student in Ugg boots and jeans kept slipping and falling, getting her clothes all dirty and wet. Half way up the hill she angrily huffed:

"I didn't get into archeology to go outside"

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Hahahahahaha I was on an archeology field trip to a buffalo jump during winter, the slope was snowy and icy and we'd been informed to "dress for hiking". This student in Ugg boots and jeans kept slipping and falling, getting her clothes all dirty and wet. Half way up the hill she angrily huffed:

"I didn't get into archeology to go outside"

Reminds me of my lab work sorting shell midden samples. They were a small enough mesh that it was hard to tell the difference between a bead and a bird bone (generally hollow and bead like in smaller pieces) and when I asked my prof how to tell the difference he told me to lick it. If my tongue stuck to it it was bone, otherwise it was shell. I thought he was loving with me until I brought a tricky one to him to ID and he just popped the whole thing in his mouth and swished it around like a sommelier before spitting it out and handing it directly back to me and proudly announcing it was a shell bead.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for stopping my husband from traveling?

quote:

Throw away

For context, my husband loves to travel and sometimes even does it solo. We went together in some countries and it was fun being with him doing so but I gotten pregnant over the pandemic so we sat down to talk about this because it was an accident. I've always wanted a baby anyways, just not this soon and my husband's reaction was expectedly caught off guard and had mixed emotions. We both took it as a sign and want to keep the baby but my husband says he still wants to travel and asked if im okay with it. My parents said they wanted to have a grandchild anyways and wanted it so bad that they even said they would watch him while we go out and have fun before I was even pregnant. So I knew my baby would be in good hands if we still travel so I said yes. We decided to go through this pregnancy.

Fast forward to now, our baby is 8 months and my husband is an incredible father. He hasnt been anywhere since the baby was born but he did occasionally talk about where to go next to travel. I honeslty thought at this point that he should stay home and be a father because he's a parent now. He shouldnt be gone even for a day away from our baby. I told him this and he got a bit upset. He wanted to think things through about this so he asked for a little mental space to not talk about the subject right now which I agreed. But then literally the next day, his college friend contacted him and invited him to a wedding to Taiwan. He told me this and said his friend was the one to helped him go through a lot in his college years and at least give him maybe 4 or 5 days to visit there. I still said no because things changed. My husband exploded and said that I broke the promise I made while I was pregnant. He kept telling me to give the baby to my parents to watch but I said we wouldnt be responsible parents if we do that. He kept claiming it's responsible because we know the baby will be safe but I kept arguing back that it doesnt work that way and I can really take him to court if he wants to abandon the baby.

He broke his game system out of anger and gotten silent afterwards. He only communicated about baby related things but wouldnt talk to me about anything else. AITA?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ScienceSeagull posted:

AITA for abruptly quitting my volunteer work with pelicans?

"Never work with children or animals."
—W.C. Fields, actor

nashona
May 8, 2014

nashona posted:

comments from op about her friend

quote:

I do plan on offering my emotional support, and I'm willing to help out with advising on the wedding decorations, albeit in a limited capacity due to my writing commitments. I also plan on mentioning my friend in my memoir as a way of showing my appreciation, which is worth a lot more than $550.
She explicitly said she doesn’t want to be mentioned, so I figure I tried and it’s on her now.

quote:

Well to be honest none of us thought she would ever get married, I wouldn’t have agreed in the first place if I thought it would happen.

quote:

No no not in a bad way at all. She just has a lot of unique needs that would be a lot of work for someone other than a nurse or assistant.

and about the $550

quote:

I don’t think it’s fair. She contributed the lowest amount of anyone, so she really doesn’t have the right to say.

about the memoir details

quote:

I’m not 25 yet so I don’t really know how to answer this.

quote:

It is about my life experiences and what knowledge I have gained about the human condition.
It is my way of giving back to the world everything the world has given to me

quote:

I do have a full-time job - writing my memoir. But since it won’t pay anything until after it is published I don’t have the money right now.
Im not lazy I spend more time thinking about and writing my memoir than her fiancé spends on a single job each week.

quote:

I have saved up and a lot of people donated to a gofundme

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I viscerally hate this person

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Reminds me of my lab work sorting shell midden samples. They were a small enough mesh that it was hard to tell the difference between a bead and a bird bone (generally hollow and bead like in smaller pieces) and when I asked my prof how to tell the difference he told me to lick it. If my tongue stuck to it it was bone, otherwise it was shell. I thought he was loving with me until I brought a tricky one to him to ID and he just popped the whole thing in his mouth and swished it around like a sommelier before spitting it out and handing it directly back to me and proudly announcing it was a shell bead.

It's surprising how often we end up putting stuff in our mouths for science. Did something similar for geomorphology. We were determining what was a volcanic ash layer and what was a lacustrine layer on the cutbank of a local riverbed. Volcanic ash tastes like burning dust and is gritty against your teeth, lake bed sediments taste like moldy mud and turns to a slimy film that stays stuck in your mouth.

Yeah, science! 🤮

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

therobit posted:

What about strippers dressed as cops?

they take the uniform off and thus become not a cop, so it's ok.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Why are you studying zoology if you’re not willing to get up close and personal with wild animals

poo poo, I worked at a small zoo and getting puked on was loving normal. That said birds got some rank rear end vomit.

I do have vivid memories of going out with the vet tech because a goat was having issues in labor; I was told to bring the Costco tub of Vaseline. So off we go, me beaming as I carry this 3 gallon drum to the goat yard, and like a child, I watch the tech put a glove on, stretched it up nearly to her bicep, and then started glopping the Vaseline on. And I ended up with a near empty container, and stood there, somewhat horrified, but managed to at least hold the goat and distract her while the tech reached up inside and fixed the breech birth, and helped pull the baby out. The smell was amazing. And afterward I was given the glove, shoved it in the container, and tossed it in the trash. I think I gagged a bit but that was mostly because the goat yard was quite a mess from, well, that.

AITA for calling my sister cruel for her tattoo idea?

quote:

Sis is 28 I'm 26M.

My sis N has always had a strained relationship with our parents especially my mom. I am clearly not privy to the reasons because things are fine with me and my parents. When N went to college she met her creative writing professor as a freshman and they got close immediately. They would do a lot together and worked closely on a few different writing projects. N never specifically said this, but it was obvious to anyone who saw them interact that they had a substitute mother/daughter type relationship. Which hurt my mom a lot to see. I always thought she'd grow out of it or that the prof would move on but ten years later they were still very close.

About a month ago the prof died unexpectedly and it devastated N. She was really dperessed over the holidays which of course was all in front of my mom and was a difficult reminder that N loved the prof as a mother way more than she ever loved my mom as a mother. She still talks to my parents and stuff and they don't fight or anything but N is very distant and doesn't tell them anything about her life beyond the bare minimum. My mom tried to comfort N but N was doing her distant thing and didn't want comfort.

Something unfortunate that happened to N is that when she got the call that she died, she was brewing tea and in the shock of the news she spilled boiling water on her arm which burned her kinda badly on her wrist. I think the burn was like on the borderline of 2nd and 3rd degree, and definitely still looked pretty rough during the holidays. N said it was especially hard because in addition to the physical pain, every time she looks at it she is reminded of the moment she found out the prof died. Which I totally get.

I was on facetime with N and she said she talked to her tattoo artist friend who said that the burn should be able to heal well enough to get a tattoo over it. N then excitedly told me about her idea which is a type of flower that the prof gave her a bouquet of for her undergrad graduation. My mom was so embarrassed that day because she didn't get N flowers but the prof did and N was parading them around so happy and it was a reminder of their connection. I guess N and the prof exchanged these flowers for every special occasion like birthdays etc.

So now she wants to get a decent sized tattoo in a highly visible spot of something that will remind everyone of the prof. I told N that this seemed really cruel to my mom who already feels cast aside and like she's in exile from N. And that's without the constant permanent reminder. N kind of scoffed and said "I can't believe you think you have the right to tell me not to do this," called me an rear end and hung up and is still not talking to me except for a very brief text saying congrats for a promotion I just got. My parents aren't commenting. My dad said I should have just kept quiet even though he agrees and my mom made no comment but seemed grateful I stood up for her. I feel like I was just being protective of my mom. But AITA?

I had a professor in college, and I actually became a family friend once I graduated; I housesat for him, nannied for his kids, etc. We were friends a lot longer than teacher/student, and there are times I remember he died two years ago, and it loving hits me like no other grief of a person lost has. My grandparents died when I was little so I never even had that to go off of. But I did get a tattoo in memory of him recently. For the poster above, the only bad thing I would say is that wrist tattoos can be loving painful as poo poo, but sometimes the position is worth the pain.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for calling my sister cruel for her tattoo idea?

I assumed from the OP this was a golden child/scapegoat thing, but it turns out the parents were addicts for the whole of the sister's childhood and got clean for part of OP's

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mx. posted:

I assumed from the OP this was a golden child/scapegoat thing, but it turns out the parents were addicts for the whole of the sister's childhood and got clean for part of OP's

And the flower is because they were given as a graduation gift when mom didn't get her any. Mom's going to be put out because of the flower tattoo because they're a symbol of her failings as a mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that's alright the mum won't be reminded of it if the sister never sees her again