Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some stuff I've been working on:

My Spirit Otter posted:

My local shop is going to start a 30k escalation league and i figure thats obviously the best time to get into it. I need help on deciding a legion.

Ive been reading the gonnhammer articles but they like to reference rules and not explain what they actually do and with no 30k wahapedia i cant really figure out the special flavours of the legions, and would appreciate some help.

If you dig go back in this thread to around summer of last year, we put together breakdowns for most of the legions.

Do you have an idea of what type of game you want to play? Highly mobile? Psychic powers? Heavy armor? Lots of melee? Fliers? Something easy? Something hard?

All the legions did all things, but some did niches better than others. This said, unlike some other GW games you're not blowing your leg off by not playing whatever the latest greatest meta army is. You don't need to play the most optimum legion or have the best list in order to win games or have fun.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
drat, those Scars make me want to revisit the modeling on my Sons of Horus. Where are the Kung Pow triangle-studs on the Dreadnought from?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
1. Think of which Legion do you like fluff of the most.
2. Imagine what kind of force composition would make that a reality.
3. Ask the threat whether there's anything massively wrong with the list.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BirdieBedtime posted:

drat, those Scars make me want to revisit the modeling on my Sons of Horus. Where are the Kung Pow triangle-studs on the Dreadnought from?

Hey thanks! Check out blood & skulls industry on ebay

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Every year I tell myself I'm going to LVO, and every year I fail to do so.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

Some stuff I've been working on:

Beautiful work. Where are the legs on that dread from?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Thanks bulbasaur and jcdent for responding. And thanks to everyone who wrote summaries, especially that one that made me feel like i was having a stroke.

Im down to iron hands and death guard. 90% in favour of death guard because the iron hands paintjob looks boring as gently caress

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

Thanks bulbasaur and jcdent for responding. And thanks to everyone who wrote summaries, especially that one that made me feel like i was having a stroke.

Im down to iron hands and death guard. 90% in favour of death guard because the iron hands paintjob looks boring as gently caress

40k standard "black armor with edge highlights" can be boring, but the FW "oily greenish-black metal" is pretty interesting imo (though I have no idea how hard it is to accomplish in practice).

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As an Iron Hands player, make sure you want to paint it 50+ times. Just do a test model for each and see what feels better.

Both great choices, for sure.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

40k standard "black armor with edge highlights" can be boring, but the FW "oily greenish-black metal" is pretty interesting imo (though I have no idea how hard it is to accomplish in practice).

Oooh, thats really sharp and clinches it for iron hands imo. Death guard look pretty slick, but morty is the worst looking primarch imo. Worse than hair metal angron

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oooh, thats really sharp and clinches it for iron hands imo. Death guard look pretty slick, but morty is the worst looking primarch imo. Worse than hair metal angron

MOAR IRON HANDS JOIN US

One recommendation: Feel free to add some color. I didn't want to deal with black/silver only so I added some red on the guns/banners/cloth and it really helps add some visual interest.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SkyeAuroline posted:

There's a really cool airbrush Iron Hands forged black tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0WqI_YdIs

This makes me want to paint my Heresy box as Iron Hands.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Cessna posted:

There's a really cool airbrush Iron Hands forged black tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0WqI_YdIs

This makes me want to paint my Heresy box as Iron Hands.

This is what I used as the start of my IH paint scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5qq1_fUBgE

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I used the praetors from the box set to make some kitbashes and I ended up not being happy with them since they were my first.

I'm going back to the drawing board and trying again at some point, but I have one thing I need to figure out before I do.

Should an Iron Warriors warsmith wear a cape?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lucinice posted:

I used the praetors from the box set to make some kitbashes and I ended up not being happy with them since they were my first.

I'm going back to the drawing board and trying again at some point, but I have one thing I need to figure out before I do.

Everyone deserves a cape

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Mr Sinister scoffs at the question

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Your Iron Warrior Warsmith should wear a cape if and only if you can decide on a good color for it that fits with the rest of his design.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

My Spirit Otter posted:

Everything we wrote about them still holds up and they just got a cool new unit that's pretty dang good

SkyeAuroline posted:

Beautiful work. Where are the legs on that dread from?

Hey thanks! Its the stock legs combined with a domnitars. I had a spare one lying around and it just sorta happened

Totalcasual
Jan 21, 2023
I have a ton of fw custodes still to work on, including models I don’t plan on using in 40K like the older bikes, and aquilion terminators. How are custodes in the new 30k? I was hesitant because when I picked everything up they were busted at the time for old 30k, and so i shelved most of the project and just played them in 40K where I enjoy playing more competitively.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lucinice posted:

A hazard stripe cape perhaps?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

That or a tarp.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Totalcasual posted:

I have a ton of fw custodes still to work on, including models I don’t plan on using in 40K like the older bikes, and aquilion terminators. How are custodes in the new 30k? I was hesitant because when I picked everything up they were busted at the time for old 30k, and so i shelved most of the project and just played them in 40K where I enjoy playing more competitively.

they've been toned down and have a few obvious army gaps, but are still scary as hell in combat

you shouldn't feel guilty running them due to power level

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 23, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Actually you should feel guilty running custodes bc they don't belong outside of the Palace

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Until I've decided what to paint the praetor cape I kitbashed a MK6 breacher for my iron warriors based on this video

I might remove the head crest for looking a little too imperial fist like. Also I might bulk up the shield with some green stuff.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Raven Guard upgrades revealed

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/26/heresy-thursday-the-raven-guard-are-here-to-pilfer-a-pile-of-shiny-mark-vi-armour-upgrades/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those sure are some beakies. Sad the cool birdskull one didn't make the cut.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I was really hoping for the bird skull helmet from the old 40k forgeworld Raven Guard upgrade set, but I guess those are neat. I think I can do without them, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The feather crest looks pretty sick! I do miss the old raven skull though.

Anyone know of a site with the old OOP forgeworld stuff? I have a bunch of vague memories of the old legion boxnaughts and stuff but it would be nice to have pics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

AliExpress?

E: real answer, try to find one of the old FW compendium codexes. They're generally cheap and have all the 40k stuff.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 26, 2023

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If you just want pictures, use the Waback Machine on forgeworld's site.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

If you just want pictures, use the Waback Machine on forgeworld's site.

I love looking through the Forgeworld and GW sites on the Wayback Machine.

Here's some Forgeworld Dreadnoughts from 2005, which might be what Improbable Lobster was looking for:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051013064823/http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/SPACE_MARINE_DREADNOUGHTS.html

Here's random poo poo, like 4 resin skulls for 5 pounds
https://web.archive.org/web/20051017012418/http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_40_000_SYMBOLS_10.html

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Done some more Night Lords!

Bought these Tartaros terminators already assembled and painted. Sadly very well glued together with plastic cement, so only thing I could do is add some Night Lords bling to them and call it a day.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Actually, come to think of it, if I really wanted to do a Raven Guard army with varied in-theme helmets, I'd probably pick up the helmet upgrade sets from a bunch of traitor legions I thought looked cool and which had notably divergent physical structures from the normal beakie helmet (off the top of my head: probably Sons of Horus and Iron Warriors and maybe World Eaters, probably not Death Guard, and I think the rest are too close to normal beakie helms to have the right effect), leave the overall helmet structures in place but shave off specific legion symbols if they have them, and sprinkle them in with the normal beakie helms to represent guerilla Raven Guard who've had to scavenge helmets from other legions they've fought.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Bought these Tartaros terminators already assembled and painted. Sadly very well glued together with plastic cement, so only thing I could do is add some Night Lords bling to them and call it a day.

Oooh, not seen NL done so dark and sans lightning before, really nice take. Do you have any more?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

How do you do the dirty legs effect? It's something I've wanted to try for a while.

Chainclaw posted:

I love looking through the Forgeworld and GW sites on the Wayback Machine.

Here's some Forgeworld Dreadnoughts from 2005, which might be what Improbable Lobster was looking for:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051013064823/http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/SPACE_MARINE_DREADNOUGHTS.html

Here's random poo poo, like 4 resin skulls for 5 pounds
https://web.archive.org/web/20051017012418/http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_40_000_SYMBOLS_10.html

This is such a fun thing to do. I only started getting into warhammer in the last few years and there's so much cool stuff they don't make anymore.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 27, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Am I missing where 30k sisters can take Rhinos or is that option really not available there?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

Am I missing where 30k sisters can take Rhinos or is that option really not available there?

They cannot take Rhinos. However, they have a Rhino replacement, about which I have good news and bad news.

The good news is their Rhino replacement hovers and has better guns than a Rhino.

The bad news is it costs 160 USD.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Sisters-Of-Silence-Kharon-Pattern-Acquisitor-2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh no.

Well at least they have them in 40k. Or I can give them to my Emperor's Children.

E: goddamn that's a sick model though.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

ijyt posted:

Oooh, not seen NL done so dark and sans lightning before, really nice take. Do you have any more?

I painted a tactical squad and while they were supposed to look like these terminators, they came out different, which I tried to fix since I posted them in this thread month ago. With no much success.
They were my first attempt at this colour scheme a lot of mistakes were made with the exact use of oils, stippling, colours and my mind stuck to the "edge highlight everything" method. Heresy and marines in general are very different from what I normally paint, but I feel I'm getting better!

Lucinice posted:

How do you do the dirty legs effect? It's something I've wanted to try for a while.

This might sound silly but I just...brush pigment powder on the base and the legs. In this case burnt sienna. That's all.
The trick is not to fix the powder with anything as it will turn into paint and lose its dusty look. (See the picture above to see what happens when you varnish it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
They still look sick!