Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

exquisite tea posted:

2023 is shaping up to be a pretty big year for AAA horror, with SH2 remake

:goofy:

IGN released another video and someone got to play through a chunk of Dead Space. It looks like a lot of the weapons have additional firing modes you can find, and they seem pretty sicknasty. The Force Gun doesn't just knock people over and explode them, it shreds the skin and flesh off of Necromorphs and it makes their limbs a lot weaker. There's also a lot of new doors that require access cards you won't get until later, so now that the Ishimura is seemless you can backtrack to open those doors. There's a ton of backtracking in Dead Space anyway so it's neat that there's some extra stuff to go look for.

loving geeked for DS in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also there's supposed to be some ai director shenanigans to the encounters. Not sure how successful it will be but I'm interested to try it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m still waiting for reviews but I’m cautiously very optimistic about the dead space remake. Every time they mention something they changed I’m like “yes! That is exactly what I would have done.”

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It just needs to look better (check) and fix the drat flamethrower.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

sigher posted:

The Force Gun doesn't just knock people over and explode them, it shreds the skin and flesh off of Necromorphs and it makes their limbs a lot weaker.

i keep pushing my money into my monitor but the game isn't downloading

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Getting rid of the horrible shrapnel mode to the plasma rifle is a mistake!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

It just needs to look better (check) and fix the drat flamethrower.

They've added an ability where it can lay down a wall of fire for area denial, here's the IGN video timestamped right at the weapon upgrades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5ELmzkOdo&t=103s.

The Contact Beam looks to have a constant fire :fuckoff: laser you can melt dudes with and the Force Gun also looks to have some sort of gravity well ability too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sigher posted:

loving geeked for DS in a week.

Oh poo poo, I keep mixing it up with other releases and thinking it's a few months out yet. I'm not gonna preorder this one just because I feel dumb for doing so with Callisto Protocol, but I do feel way more confident in this one being a solid production.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ngl I'm gonna miss the 3d map that doesn't pause the game. Made things tense as hell

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay so they retrofited Dead Space into a Metroidvania call me cautiously optimistic.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Just finished Hob's Barrow and enjoyed it overall but if you find the missable scene where Arthur straight up tells you the villains' plot it really seals the deal on everything you do afterwards being A Bad Idea that only a complete idiot would do. I was convinced I'd gotten a bad ending just because Bateman did the wrongest possible thing at every turn to obvious effect but nope, she just like that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Enemabag Jones posted:

Just finished Hob's Barrow and enjoyed it overall but if you find the missable scene where Arthur straight up tells you the villains' plot it really seals the deal on everything you do afterwards being A Bad Idea that only a complete idiot would do. I was convinced I'd gotten a bad ending just because Bateman did the wrongest possible thing at every turn to obvious effect but nope, she just like that.

I don't know if the LP I watched had the optional scene, but yeah you really have to wonder about some of the choices that are made by characters in the game.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Is that scene actually missable?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sigher posted:

They've added an ability where it can lay down a wall of fire for area denial, here's the IGN video timestamped right at the weapon upgrades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5ELmzkOdo&t=103s.

The Contact Beam looks to have a constant fire :fuckoff: laser you can melt dudes with and the Force Gun also looks to have some sort of gravity well ability too.

I'm more optimistic for Dead Space than I was for Callisto Protocol, but I'm still gonna hold on purchasing until reviews are in. Worst case is I replay the original, but would prefer the remake to be awesome, obviously.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly up until now I kept going "but why don't they just make a new game instead of doing a REmake for a game that is still perfectly fine" and then I remembered that the canonical ending of the third game is Earth being eaten.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just turn it into horror Titan AE

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Read After Burning posted:

Is Fatal Frame 4 (Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) generally considered better than FF5 (Maiden of Black Water)? I'm really only familiar with 1 through 3.
Played on the Wii, and the thing I remember the most is that it was quite a bit easier than the PS2 games. It's still Fatal Frame, so it's not like I'm NOT gonna be scared, but the difficulty element was missing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Honestly up until now I kept going "but why don't they just make a new game instead of doing a REmake for a game that is still perfectly fine" and then I remembered that the canonical ending of the third game is Earth being eaten.

volition allegedly had plans for the series after that but it really feels like an attempt to torch the franchise before EA could exploit it any further

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

szary posted:

Is that scene actually missable?
I clicked on the door to my room and I had the option of just sleeping, so I assume you can miss it if you don't have the terminal case of adventure game brain I've developed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

volition allegedly had plans for the series after that but it really feels like an attempt to torch the franchise before EA could exploit it any further

Wasn't that the DLC ending? It be pretty easy to explain. It's a vision! or earthgov nuked the flesh moon and it exploded. I just hope that if the remake is successful and it gets a sequel they kinda don't bother getting in to the 'lore' because the marker thing is lame as hell when you start trying to write the explanation in to the game plot and not just a few paragraphs on a text log.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The plan after was meant to be a space game where you travel to different locations, gathering survivors and rebuilding, but all under the dead space horror brand.

It didn't happen, which is a travesty.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IIRC, the original plan for a theoretical dead space 4 would've involved a semi-open world game starring ellie where you're traversing the ruins of the galaxy between the last fragile human outposts in an attempt to keep everything from falling apart

i'm still extremely mad we never got it because it's such a great concept that really gets the imagination firing

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Oh so, Iron Lung is actually Dead Space 4.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

moon's hungry

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'm just waiting to see how they handle the explanation of what the markers are between the remakes, because to me at least, 2's change to marker reason and function never made any sense and kind of detracted from it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'm just waiting to see how they handle the explanation of what the markers are between the remakes, because to me at least, 2's change to marker reason and function never made any sense and kind of detracted from it.

the whole "space dementia giving you blueprints" thing is a touch unnecessary when you can just have them be easy enough to reverse engineer that civilizations that encounter one go hog wild creating them and spreading them around

i think they just had to somehow square the circle of tiedmann knowing about markers and being able to engineer one with "earthgov knows these things are hilariously dangerous and buried all knowledge of them away forever" and wanted to integrate it more into the story of the game itself, which is a noble ambition with a kinda goofy result

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Read After Burning posted:

Is Fatal Frame 4 (Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) generally considered better than FF5 (Maiden of Black Water)? I'm really only familiar with 1 through 3.

I liked 4. I think its biggest flaw is that it wasn't as scary as 1-3, to me at least. It's pretty solid though. I still haven't finished 5, it's honestly kind of a slog. I got to the next to last chapter I think where you have to do a lot of running around in the pseudo-open world and was like, ehhhhhh

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sweet, thanks all. :)

It threw off the game's "balance" a bit, but the first-person mode in later versions of Fatal Frame 2 was so drat spooky.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fatal Frame is the only series that consistently loving terrifies me and I have only cautiously admired it from afar when others play

maybe this year i'll actually play one? with my wife in the room as emotional support of course

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

IIRC, the original plan for a theoretical dead space 4 would've involved a semi-open world game starring ellie where you're traversing the ruins of the galaxy between the last fragile human outposts in an attempt to keep everything from falling apart

i'm still extremely mad we never got it because it's such a great concept that really gets the imagination firing

The vision at the end of 3 created such a bleak outlook for the entire universe that it really isn't a shame they continued to expand

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Fatal Frame is the only series that consistently loving terrifies me and I have only cautiously admired it from afar when others play

maybe this year i'll actually play one? with my wife in the room as emotional support of course

Oh please play 2 and 1

Rip that bandaid off

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I love the FF series for nailing both the immediate scares AND the hosed up lore/backstory poo poo for each game.

:stare: on both the surface and subsurface levels.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh please play 2 and 1

Rip that bandaid off

It's kind of magic how the OT pulls off such a tense and oppressive atmosphere. I had to put down the first game so many times before I finally beat it. Even years later I still dream about that poo poo sometimes

It's funny cause one of the creators apparently got a lot of the inspiration for the ghosts from dreams and said something to the effect of he wanted them to invade other people's dreams too. Uh, mission accomplished I guess!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I would love to play through the Fatal Frame series on Switch if you could aim all around you using the gyroscope when you get into a fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hysterical how the fatal frame series tormented suda51 to the point he moved his office to escape its wicked aura

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fatal Frame rules and I hope 4 does well enough that they remake 1-3. 2 kinda already has a remake on the Wii that uses 4's engine so that's probably what they'll port next if 4 sells enough.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

My friends and I started a weekly game night specifically to play the Fatal Frame games because they were 2spooky4us then moved on to other titles when we beat those, and have been doing this for over a decade now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vermain posted:

This honestly sounds like a great loving idea for a sequel, but I wouldn't doubt if that's the direction they take it down the road.

They turned DS1, which was mostly a linear shooter, into a more Metroidvania/open world kinda thing, because now you can apparently go from one end of the Ishimura to another seamlessly. I wonder if this is kinda test ride to see how people like the idea first before they take on a whole new title with such a vastly different gameplay loop and go full on open galaxy game.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I'd REALLY like to think that you can credit Respawn and Jedi Fallen Order for EA seeing the financial sense in both bringing back Dead Space to (hopefully) sell like that again and for them not...well, going all EA with it. They got rightfully roasted for that with SW-BattleFront 2 and I'd hope they'd learn a lesson from the sales numbers for JFO that we as consumers would really prefer high-quality campaigns over forced multiplayer and IAPs and loot boxes and hey EA isn't on the NFT bandwagon...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I still own a PS3 and have digital copies of FF 1 and 2 but haven't gotten around to playing them. I played FF1 on the PS2 way back when, and it really hosed with me so I stopped playing.

I was fine for parts of it, but enemies that just sort of... materialize, along with the build up and the sound design, it's a little too much. Plus ghosts could just come into the safe room any time. You don't gently caress with the safe room, it's just not done!