Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’ll get a Steam deck when it isn’t the size of a desk.

This is the fundamental problem for me TBH.

The steam deck looks great, but I just don't have a use-case for anything that big. It's not portable in the sense of "throw in your bag to use on a train journey", it's portable in the sense of "take it on holiday with you if you're going to be away from home for a few weeks and might want reasonably hefty gaming power in your hotel room."

I mean, I guess it's decent for the "play on the couch instead of at your desk" scenario, but again, that's of limited utility to me personally, and there are other things which serve that particular purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's only slightly less portable than a Switch imo, it's not gonna fit in your pocket but I bring it to work with me, and I could see someone bringing it on a train.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

It's only slightly less portable than a Switch imo, it's not gonna fit in your pocket but I bring it to work with me, and I could see someone bringing it on a train.

100% I travel with mine all the time. Its not that big.

Hell I bought a case for my switch and the steam case isn't that much larger.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really wish I could see one in person.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Steam Deck is too big in the same way the Miyoo Mini is too small. It works for plenty of people, it doesn't work for others (at least in some circumstances), but it's undeniably at an extreme and it's not hard to envision why there's a sizeable audience for something closer to a normal handheld size for a variety of reasons.

Rolo posted:

I really wish I could see one in person.
It's definitely less unwieldy than it looks in pictures and videos (it's actually remarkably comfortable), but the size and weight are still a thing.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 21, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sethsez posted:

The Steam Deck is too big in the same way the Miyoo Mini is too small. It works for plenty of people, it doesn't work for others (at least in some circumstances), but it's undeniably at an extreme and it's not hard to envision why there's a sizeable audience for something closer to a normal handheld size for a variety of reasons.
Oh, I still bring my 3DS/DSi places because A) they're OG hardware and B) they fit in my pockets, but people who don't have a Deck seem to assume that it's a lot heavier and more unwieldy than it actually is. It's probably more comfortable than playing a Switch with regular joycons attached because of the ergonomics, tbh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah its maybe an inch and a half wider than the Switch and pretty much the same height. I don't use a big bag for work but it goes in there fine in its case. I don't like holding it up for long periods though, I much prefer having something to rest my arms on like a desk or table.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
it's not small but it's about as small as it could be while fitting human hands and using full size joysticks - if that's something you want it's quite good

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I play mine on the bus. It's great and is the perfect size: big screen, ergonomic, with lots of different control methods. It doesn't feel heavy in the hand to me.

It's fair to want something smaller. I might consider buying Retroid's upcoming clamshell just for something to live in my bag at all times. But the Steam Deck isn't monstrously large and it would be a worse device if it were smaller in size.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
some of us were blessed with small hands. we can crawl through small openings and do many other amazing things.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I exclusively played Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland on my GB Micro. don't know why.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

My GPD rides in my work bag much nicer than the switch lite it replaced. I’m hoping to see if GPD or any other hand held computer types can get a good device in the sub $300 range. I think my Win 2 MSRPs at like $600, it’s absurd. But it’s got like 4 hours of battery life while running PS2 emulation for RPGs.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

coconono posted:

My GPD rides in my work bag much nicer than the switch lite it replaced. I’m hoping to see if GPD or any other hand held computer types can get a good device in the sub $300 range. I think my Win 2 MSRPs at like $600, it’s absurd. But it’s got like 4 hours of battery life while running PS2 emulation for RPGs.

The GPD Win 4 looks like an absolute wonder machine, but its starting price is $800 sooooo

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

some of us were blessed with small hands. we can crawl through small openings and do many other amazing things.

I have some intricate industrial machinery that needs your expertise to help troubleshoot while it's running...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Micro owns, it's my pocket driver for when the Vita won't fit. God's own skinny jeans accessory.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
See this is why I rather spend $200 on a retro console than use a hacked Nintendo. Nintendo hardware always cheap out on the screen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

The Steam Desk.

Please use its proper name, which is Gabe Gear

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just realize Ayn and Ayaneo are two different companies. How the hell do you pronounce Ayn? Isn't it just like Aya ("Ion")?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 21, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just realize Ayn and Ayaneo are two different companies. How the hell do you pronounce Ayn? Isn't it just like Aya ("Iron")?

Exactly as it sounds, Ayn so yeah the same kind of tone as iron. Aya is also as it sounds, Ay-a though the official company name is now Ayaneo. Also I'm seeing videos on the Ayaneo Geek go up and man, how many times can you shove the 6800U into a different shell and still expect people to care? I desperately want to see the 6600U devices everyone thought were going to come alongside the 6800U but no-one's getting sent those.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've always heard it pronounced as "ayy why en" but it wouldn't shock me if it's like Ayn Rand

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Pretty sure it's

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
my clblue rp3+ arrived over the weekend. it's great, but boy am I overwhelmed with the options for emulators and such. anyone have recommendations on whats the best tool for managing and curating large libraries of older systems like NES, SNES, Genesis etc? Right now I'm just scrolling through massive lists on RetroArch whenever I want to play a game. on the other hand, Dreamcast, N64 and PSP are working great with their own dedicated emulators.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

cmdrk posted:

my clblue rp3+ arrived over the weekend. it's great, but boy am I overwhelmed with the options for emulators and such. anyone have recommendations on whats the best tool for managing and curating large libraries of older systems like NES, SNES, Genesis etc? Right now I'm just scrolling through massive lists on RetroArch whenever I want to play a game. on the other hand, Dreamcast, N64 and PSP are working great with their own dedicated emulators.

People seem to like the Daijisho frontend. Launchbox is also on Android.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m a big fan of only putting a game on the device when you’re actually going to play it so you don’t have the entire library causing choice paralysis too.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Daijisho is the way imo even if it takes a bit to set up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

njsykora posted:

I’m a big fan of only putting a game on the device when you’re actually going to play it so you don’t have the entire library causing choice paralysis too.

Yeah I put a self-curated collection of roms on mine. I used RESET collection as my launcher and it's great

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

njsykora posted:

I usually opt for "have the collection all there but not immediately shown", personally-- the big archive platform stuff is available if I want to play it even if I spend 98% of the usage time by volume playing randos

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is it worth it to mess with an alternative OS on any of the Anbernic 3xx line? I just order a rg-353m and I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of each one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anbernic's stock OSes are all pretty poor since at this point they expect people to always use alternate OSes on their devices now and even send advance units to custom firmware devs. Personally I use AmberElec on my 351P but don't know if it has a 353 version yet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Amber's 353 version is still in the works I think

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just got a 353V and put ArkOS on it. It’s not quite as friendly as Android-based OSes but it doesn’t take much setup work. Don’t bother with Jelos, the developer dropped Arm-based Anbernic support over some issue he has with the company.

There’s also an Android distro made by a guy going by Black Seraph but it’s behind a questionably legal $10 Patreon paywall.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jelos didn't really drop support, they just stopped releasing builds completely in favour of making it so you have to compile the OS yourself because that was more "true to the spirit of the project" aka Linux guys gonna be Linux guys and we can't have these filthy casuals using our poo poo. There is a dude who does that and then just puts out compiled builds you can put on a device for normal people though, but I can't remember what name he's releasing them under.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

Jelos didn't really drop support, they just stopped releasing builds completely in favour of making it so you have to compile the OS yourself because that was more "true to the spirit of the project" aka Linux guys gonna be Linux guys and we can't have these filthy casuals using our poo poo. There is a dude who does that and then just puts out compiled builds you can put on a device for normal people though, but I can't remember what name he's releasing them under.

That was an earlier move. Now there’s Discord drama.

quote:

They burned us which led to us deciding not to support future devices. After that, community members with power to ban abused their power to try and silence developers who were critical of the 35xx device which led to my departure from two discords and the decision to no longer support their company at all in protest of that behavior.

The rest of the reasons are outlined in our discord.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/1034fgx/_/j2y8ju4

I tried the latest UnofficialOS build but the sound didn’t work unless I messed with cryptically named audio devices and that was way more Linux than I wanted to do for this kind of device. Plus the sleep button was wonky and the volume buttons didn’t work.

From this point on they’ll basically just be a fork from the December version of Jelos.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 23, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ah OK, the retro handhelds world does tend to be overly positive and unwilling to criticise a lot of the time so I totally believe they were run out of the Retro Handhelds discord for criticising Anbernic. Even if it was the same criticism multiple other people have made that they send out free devices expecting devs to fix their software for them for free.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is it worth it to mess with an alternative OS on any of the Anbernic 3xx line? I just order a rg-353m and I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of each one

ArkOS has a specific fix for the 353M's joystick deadzones that I don't think is present elsewhere. Joystick sensitivity for the M and the V were both way too high to start with - now it's much more tolerable with this OS. Not just the tilt sensitivity, but also how the input would "snap" to a cardinal direction if you were something like 15 degrees on either side.

Plus the guy behind ArkOS is incredible and very receptive to feedback. The GitHub page also has an awesome wiki with detailed explanations and guides for anything you'd want to tweak.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 24, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can order that razer handheld at midnight tonight

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

You can order that razer handheld at midnight tonight
Razer handheld midnight launches just remind me of this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

F.D. Signifier posted:

Razer handheld midnight launches just remind me of this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842

ah, Fire Fall. lots of wise decisions were being made back then.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Companies that put out android gaming consoles:

2021 Noname Chinese companies you can't pronounce
2022 mouse company
2023 gaming PC company
Soon
2nd tier laptop makers > actual console makers > triumphant return of the Xperia Play HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Companies that put out android gaming consoles:

Soon
2nd tier laptop makers > actual console makers > triumphant return of the Xperia Play HD

Lenovo already made one and decided it was a stupid idea. To be honest I'd expect a Samsung streaming handheld at some point, they loving love chasing a gimmick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djOWeEFRJ6w