Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The problem with Leftovers season one for me was that it was so heavy that I put off starting season two for like nine years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The finale for season 1 was phenomenal with Max Richter's score and everything

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am generally opposed to it but season 1 sucks rear end and the show changes enough by S2 that you can get everyone's deal by quickly reading up on it.

I dodnt even read up on it just started on Season 2 and loved the show.

E: need to see the first season eventually

E2: descriptions of episodes in the first season where characters would wear armor to get shot and FEEL SOMETHING turned me off trying the show but ppl on here convinced to start on the second and they were right

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 20, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

The finale for season 1 was phenomenal with Max Richter's score and everything

I've yet to find a TV show with a better soundtrack than The Leftovers. Some of those original scores add such weight to their scenes.

Succession is up there too.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Binged this poo poo over a few long evenings. Enjoyed it. Feels a lot like Evil in the sense that it's hella dumb and fun, occasionally clever and sometimes even breaking convention.

Reading this thread I'm surprised that so many people think the show is ambiguous about the supernatural element. Like Evil, again, it's pretty clear that there's supernatural stuff goings-on beneath just the flimsiest veneer of plausible deniability.

The actors are great — especially the kids. I'm shocked that they've managed to cast so many good-to-excellent kid actors.

Is it true that the show's planned out for 5 seasons? That's a bit disappointing. Doesn't seem like it has the legs for it. That said, I'm still looking forward to season 2; mostly because I want more of Misty. What an adorable little sociopath.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The five season thing is what the writers claim (and Showtime loves running shows forever), but we obviously don’t know if they really do.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

anatomi posted:

Reading this thread I'm surprised that so many people think the show is ambiguous about the supernatural element. Like Evil, again, it's pretty clear that there's supernatural stuff goings-on beneath just the flimsiest veneer of plausible deniability.
Do you have a specific example? Pretty much everything had been explicable by mental illness, psychoactive drugs, and group delusions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Actually Travis is a werestag that's what happened during the mushroom trip

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

No, not really. I feel that "mental illness, psychoactive drugs, and group delusions" is such a broadly encompassing catch-all that it wouldn't be useful to give any specific examples. I can think of nothing that doesn't fit under that humongous umbrella.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

anatomi posted:

No, not really. I feel that "mental illness, psychoactive drugs, and group delusions" is such a broadly encompassing catch-all that it wouldn't be useful to give any specific examples. I can think of nothing that doesn't fit under that humongous umbrella.

So what you're saying is it's ambiguous?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Rarity posted:

On a whole? No, I think it's a story with a "real" supernatural undercurrent. That doesn't preclude it from having scenes and elements that are ambiguous.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sick of Applebees posted:

Yeah as someone who just finished the Leftovers for the first time, I can't understand wanting to skip season 1

It has the amazing scene of Justin Theroux frantically searching hotel room like he just hosed the woman into dust

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Do you have a specific example? Pretty much everything had been explicable by mental illness, psychoactive drugs, and group delusions.

“Group delusion” might be a thing in real life but it would be incredibly cheap and lazy in a tv show. Basically any supernatural horror movie could be explained that way. Imagine if Carrie ended with the reveal that everyone at the prom just hallucinated her having telekinetic powers.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Starks posted:

“Group delusion” might be a thing in real life but it would be incredibly cheap and lazy in a tv show.
Yeah, the hardcore reality of the frailty of the human psyche faced with extraordinary stressors is a huge copout, "a ghost did it" does a much better job of eliciting an emotional response from the audience. 👻

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 20, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If Nora was right and the other side lost 98% of us, then that means that the baby in the ultrasound scene is, uhhh....

:stare: :gonk:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, the hardcore reality of the frailty of the human psyche faced with extraordinary stressors is a huge copout, "a ghost did it" does a much better job of eliciting an emotional response from the audience. 👻

That’s a very funny way to look at it but I’m willing to bet that more people believe in ghosts than mass hallucinations

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Late to the Leftovers discussion but I've rewatched it twice since it aired, it owns it so many ways. That hotel karaoke scene from season 2 has me bawling every time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

Usually there would be no point in making supernatural stuff ambiguous if you weren’t going to leave the possibility open. Otherwise it’s hard to justify the time spent on it in the first place.

There is a convincing natural explanation for everything, but Jackie’s fur trapper death dream just being her imagining what he might have looked like is not as interesting as there maybe being a ghost of the dead fur trapper loving with people as they have death dreams.. At least it’s not absent other factors.

I can’t think of a show that teased supernatural stuff and didn’t deliver, unless in the context of having a big reveal that somebody was delusional or being misled, or something else at least as interesting as the possibility of the supernatural. That could be the case here, though.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Now I'm curious. What's the natural explanation for the self-sacrificing bear? Is that one of the mass hallucination incidences?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

anatomi posted:

Now I'm curious. What's the natural explanation for the self-sacrificing bear? Is that one of the mass hallucination incidences?

The bear was already sick from natural causes

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm in the firm "not supernatural" camp, but that's how I am about life anyways.

There's nothing that sticks out to me as being definitely supernatural yet. It's just coincidences and paranoid people with severe PTSD so far.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The bear something something fuel line and sparks

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The bear ate the drug soup and was tripping balls/ate drugged Javi and was tripping balls.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’m actually not sure which bear were talking about any more

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what's the natural explanation for the crash incident to begin with, how can people fly through the air in what looks to be a giant metal machine? metal is heavy and doesn't float last i checked...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Planes are haunted/possessed by bird ghosts

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Who is flying? Oh my God! Bear is flying! How can this be?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Khanstant posted:

what's the natural explanation for the crash incident to begin with, how can people fly through the air in what looks to be a giant metal machine? metal is heavy and doesn't float last i checked...

One day there might be a solution to the Navier Stokes equation and the theory of airplane flight will be valid. Until this scientific basis is settled, the concept is science fiction mumbo jumbo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laterite posted:

Who is flying? Oh my God! Bear is flying! How can this be?

Just know that, you're never alone, because.... I fly with you.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Khanstant posted:

No, there's nothing supernatural about the physics and dynamics of airplane flight. As for what caused the crash, if you watch closely in the second episode as the kids are burying the dead, you'll catch a glimpse of the copilot's body and see that he was a teddy bear, which are known to spontaneously combust.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Usually there would be no point in making supernatural stuff ambiguous if you weren’t going to leave the possibility open. Otherwise it’s hard to justify the time spent on it in the first place.

There is a convincing natural explanation for everything, but Jackie’s fur trapper death dream just being her imagining what he might have looked like is not as interesting as there maybe being a ghost of the dead fur trapper loving with people as they have death dreams.. At least it’s not absent other factors.

I can’t think of a show that teased supernatural stuff and didn’t deliver, unless in the context of having a big reveal that somebody was delusional or being misled, or something else at least as interesting as the possibility of the supernatural. That could be the case here, though.

True Detective, and they did it fantastically

the plane explosion is not even remotely realistic but it remains to be seen if that's supernatural or they just wanted it to look cool with the self immolating teddy bear into death star explosion

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

True Detective, and they did it fantastically

the plane explosion is not even remotely realistic but it remains to be seen if that's supernatural or they just wanted it to look cool with the self immolating teddy bear into death star explosion

The scene would only have needed a very quick, maybe 2 second cut away to some faulty, damaged equipment to have settled this better.

You could still maybe make the argument that a supernatural force broke the plane in the end, but you could also make the argument that, no, it was just not properly repaired/was broken from the get-go.

Even with the cutaway, you could still have the teddy bear imagery, since the pilot (can't remember her name) doesn't know about the state of damage to the plane.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, they could've had broken wiring or something sticking out of the seat, shown for an instant. I think the pilot's name is Laura-Lee by the way.

They could've had the food-delivery bear look unhealthy (it doesn't), or have stew around its snout and/or the pot overturned, a mess on the ground. But they didn't.

They could've had Lottie make more wrong predictions. But they didn't.

And so on. To me, the writers of this show don't, in general, give the strange events a believable natural/realistic buffer, either because they're consciously skewing the narrative supernatural, or because they're kinda poo poo/lazy. The former lets me enjoy the show more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My ideal scenario is if the supernatural stuff remains a vague "dark spirits within the wilderness" type of thing ala season 1 of Twin Peaks than something they ever explain in detail.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Agreed. Makes me wonder how they're gonna handle the cult stuff.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I really enjoy them walking the line enough to create these arguments and hope they keep up with it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah agreed with all of the above, I'm very hyped to see where things go

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit
just catching up on this show, in the last episode in the hallucination when Jackie is freezing one of the people who talks to her is a guy by the door with a beard who I didn’t recognize. Im assuming that’s supposed to be the skeleton in the attic/cabin owner? Was he in any other scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ronin1138 posted:

just catching up on this show, in the last episode in the hallucination when Jackie is freezing one of the people who talks to her is a guy by the door with a beard who I didn’t recognize. Im assuming that’s supposed to be the skeleton in the attic/cabin owner? Was he in any other scenes?

A lot of them, fleetingly, often in windows or reflections.