Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Why on earth are people going to that much trouble for sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Not everyone knows your mom.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blut posted:

Its just online dating in the year 2023. Plenty of people also use actual copy and paste scripts on the apps because it saves time having the same conversation again and again when all you're doing is racking up one night stands each week.

Theres definitely a market out there for a DatingChatGPT.

Still can't believe there isn't a 100% one night stand focused app called InstaSlam.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I dunno.

Whenever I want sex, I just do it myself

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Not for nothing but if people would just spend a little time in the gym they wouldn't have to become Data Scientists just to get laid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm raising money to found a startup to develop an app where you give it full access to all your files, emails, dms, social accounts, etc, and the app would ingest all of that into its ML algorithm and automatically schedule one night stands for you with partners who are compatible. No swiping or dming or any input from you would be needed other than access to all your poo poo. The algorithm would just pick suitable partners for you and put a time and place to gently caress on your calendar. Afterwards, both parties would rate each other's performance and go on their merry way.

Do I hear any offers for a billion dollars?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ imagine a matchmaking algorithm based on the spam in their users' email accounts :imunfunny:

Agents are GO! posted:

:drat:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

-Blackadder- posted:

Not for nothing but if people would just spend a little time in the gym they wouldn't have to become Data Scientists just to get laid.

Or they could just not get laid as often. It's not that big a deal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes we do!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Kinda hard as shes dead 😏

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

dr_rat posted:

Look the easiest Solution for the "snow" problem is just remove the snow form the equation. Some sort of automated flame thrower on the front of the car should be able to do this reasonably acceptably for about the needed twenty of or so foot in front.

Look honestly this is such a simple solution I'm not sure why it isn't already the standard!

Even easier. Just live in California where the snow is optional and is only something you visit on occasion.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Stop kink-shaming.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Person Dyslexic posted:

Stop kink-shaming.

It's tough if people are just going to post about their necro-Oedipal tendencies like that.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

OK, great work everyone. Time to get back on track.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
https://twitter.com/EccentricFlower/status/1616185035387715593

It's one thing to quietly change something in your policy or EULA to your customers, it's another to first remove functionality from them on a thursday, stay quiet about it for a week until quietly changing the policy to justify the removal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

It's one thing to quietly change something in your policy or EULA to your customers, it's another to first remove functionality from them on a thursday, stay quiet about it for a week until quietly changing the policy to justify the removal.

Context: https://www.engadget.com/twitter-new-developer-terms-ban-third-party-clients-211247096.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Verge has an exceptionally thread-relevant deep dive into CNET's “AI-assisted” content writing efforts. https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/19/23562966/cnet-ai-written-stories-red-ventures-seo-marketing

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is incredible

https://twitter.com/ZaneGTCooper/status/1616464072941125633

https://twitter.com/ZaneGTCooper/status/1615818663634010112

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Setting aside the dubiousness of the whole idea of talking to an AI representation of a historical figure, the particular choice of figures is just... why? What good could ever come from that?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Tech Nightmares: 5. Unlock Adolf Hitler for 500 coins.

I'm amazed that the chat already sounds like it's written by a PR agent for the historical monsters in question. The technology will slightly improve in the near future, and lazy teachers will start using history chatbots as part of their lessons.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ponzicar posted:

Tech Nightmares: 5. Unlock Adolf Hitler for 500 coins.

This thread title will never be surpassed

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OddObserver posted:

Setting aside the dubiousness of the whole idea of talking to an AI representation of a historical figure, the particular choice of figures is just... why? What good could ever come from that?

If I were cynical I would say to get an article like the one above written for free advertising?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VikingofRock posted:

This thread title will never be surpassed

Merge the titles and unlock Yedolf.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Merge the titles and unlock Yedolf.

It was tempting, not gonna lie

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tbh I'm not sure what 5 was there for in the title, hopefully this will do.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I guess it really does mimic famous racists by trying to use their excuses.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

I guess it really does mimic famous racists by trying to use their excuses.

Ah, makes sense. I'll keep the 6 in because I'm lazy then.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm pretty sure what happened is that the AI people just feed the public works of those famous people into a chat bot, but they also put in a fail safe to make sure they didn't encourage violence, illegal activity, or racism.

So, you end up with the hilarious scenario of Osama Bin Laden saying 9/11 was wrong and Nazis saying they made a mistake.

Which sort of makes you wonder what the point of making those AI chatbots of historical figures was in the first place.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's including any biography they could find, sign up for a book sale service like bookgorilla and you'll quickly realize there's a huge market for authors writing "biographies" of these people with exactly the tone they have in this app. For Robert E Lee especially I think it's been robots churning them out for years now. They're usually like a dollar or even free so all the better for these chatbot companies

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’m surprised it didn’t cost 1488 coins.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:eyepop:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which sort of makes you wonder what the point of making those AI chatbots of historical figures was in the first place.

The victors write the history books AI algorithms in their own image

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/20/twitter-is-down-to-fewer-than-550-full-time-engineers.html

The numbers are in. ~80% of people fired – roughly 60% before the “hardcore pledge”, and then half of the rest resigned by the pledge deadline (in reality there were some smaller firings after the pledge too). The company is down to fewer than 550 engineering FTEs, and a Trust & Safety team smaller than SA's politics button pushers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's horrible, I can't imagine they're properly maintaining the platform at this point. Like I don't think it's physically possible to keep running long term with that few employees.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kwyndig posted:

That's horrible, I can't imagine they're properly maintaining the platform at this point. Like I don't think it's physically possible to keep running long term with that few employees.

Id be more worried about them paying for server space than I would be about their employees doing maintence work.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Sage Grimm posted:

This has also killed off my beloved TweetBot, and I flatly refuse to use the Twitter app. If anyone ends up finding an alternative that allows you read tweets solely from the people you want to see tweets from, in the chronological order in which they were posted, I'd love to know what it is. The closest thing I've found is an RSS feed setup, but the options I've seen recommended have been pretty shady.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kestral posted:

This has also killed off my beloved TweetBot, and I flatly refuse to use the Twitter app. If anyone ends up finding an alternative that allows you read tweets solely from the people you want to see tweets from, in the chronological order in which they were posted, I'd love to know what it is. The closest thing I've found is an RSS feed setup, but the options I've seen recommended have been pretty shady.

RSS, or TweetDeck on desktop via browser.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Id be more worried about them paying for server space than I would be about their employees doing maintence work.

Of course, the physical servers need maintenance as well. And while number of employees needed for /technical/ maintenance can be smaller than what's needed under active development --- that requires that you don't have a moron running the company wanting major rearchitectures and firing tons of people without much thought.

.... And the hard part is always moderation anyway.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kestral posted:

So far, Spring is still working for me (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spring-for-twitter/id1508706541), but do you want to drop $12 on the chance that it stays working?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What I’m more surprised about is that Twitter had 7500 employees according to that article. Like what in the world were all those people doing? It’s not like Twitter is/was a big umbrella company with different distinct divisions and products like Facebook (the website itself, the VR unit, etc) or Google. All they do is run the website? What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of the social media management peoples for brands and what not use third party apps to keep track of all that poo poo?

I know that used to be the case like a decade ago not sure about now. If so I can imagine quite a few brands that were on the fence about staying on will just say gently caress it.

I mean normally I'd say that would make a social media platform better, less brands, but I mean twitters circling the drain so much it's mostly just funny.